PDA

View Full Version : Anticipatory Strike vs. Celerity?

Angry Bob
2011-03-25, 05:28 PM
Why is one regularly referenced as broken and the other isn't? Does it logically follow that Anticipatory Strike is just as bad(as in really, really good), or is there something it has that Celerity doesn't makes it balanced?

Urpriest
2011-03-25, 06:58 PM
Anticipatory Strike is more expensive. It also takes your next action, no ifs ands or buts. Celerity dazes, but there are ways around that.

Ernir
2011-03-25, 07:10 PM
Anticipatory Strike is also just... more obscure. Fewer people looking for powers in CPsi than there are people looking for spells in the PHB2, I guess.

sreservoir
2011-03-25, 08:07 PM
Anticipatory Strike is more expensive. It also takes your next action, no ifs ands or buts. Celerity dazes, but there are ways around that.

if you're playing in a game where you're intentionally getting around celerity's dazing, and CPsi is allowed, you can just linked synchronicity + synchronicity as many times as you want, then greater teleport out, finish the round, come back with ridiculously large number of standards.

Urpriest
2011-03-25, 11:50 PM
if you're playing in a game where you're intentionally getting around celerity's dazing, and CPsi is allowed, you can just linked synchronicity + synchronicity as many times as you want, then greater teleport out, finish the round, come back with ridiculously large number of standards.

Precisely. Synchronicity is quite abusable. Anticipatory Strike, less so.

sreservoir
2011-03-27, 02:59 PM
not quite. you can also just link dimension door to dimension door, move to the edge of your range, recover your focus, and pop back in beginning next turn. of course, the other person can prepare actions, or buff up, but the same was true of my other plan.

synchronicity isn't the one at fault; that would be linked power. linked power breaks action economy. synchronicity just makes it slightly cheaper and messes with the ML pp limit.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-27, 03:53 PM
Can anybody explain the trick of linked sinchroncity? I don't really get it...

Urpriest
2011-03-27, 04:45 PM
not quite. you can also just link dimension door to dimension door, move to the edge of your range, recover your focus, and pop back in beginning next turn. of course, the other person can prepare actions, or buff up, but the same was true of my other plan.

I'm having trouble seeing how this is useful. Dimension Door ends your turn, so you've spent extra PP to give your opponent more time to act. Unless I'm missing something?

And yeah, there are lots of Linked Power tricks. Do note that generally one sees Linked Synchronicity abused more frequently than Linked Anticipatory Strike, though, mostly because the latter is so much lower level and hence so much more practical.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-27, 04:56 PM
Can anybody explain the trick of linked sinchroncity? I don't really get it...
Synchronicity gives you a readied action.
Linked Power is a metapsionic feat that lets you merge two powers - one takes effect when you manifest, the other takes effect the next round.

So you manifest Synchronicity (Linked Synchronicity) this round, expending your action for this round and immediately getting it back (or not expending it with options such as Quicken Power or Schism), and get a bonus action next round. Basically, it's another way of doubling your actions - and there's tricks to get it even better than doubling, if you don't mind going through power points like mad.