PDA

View Full Version : low level blindsight (3.5)

BIGMamaSloth
2011-03-25, 08:55 PM
Im building a character right now who is going to two weapon fight with sickles. The thing is that I wan't him to be blind, but be able to see through incredibly acute senses or the like. So what I'm asking is if anyone knows of anyway to get blind-sight rather early on, preferably within the first few levels.

I'm only looking for ways built into the character (I.E. feats or classes) instead of daily buff spells or items.

Any help is appreciated :smallsmile:. And something else like tremorsense would be ok.

Thurbane
2011-03-25, 09:33 PM
A Grimlock has Blindsight 40 feet at ECL 4.

Forged Fury
2011-03-25, 09:35 PM
For how long has the character been blind? Blindsight tends to not be a low-level ability.

The easiest way is to hand-wave:

Blinded
The character cannot see. He takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class, loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any), moves at half speed, and takes a -4 penalty on Search checks and on most Strength- and Dexterity-based skill checks. All checks and activities that rely on vision (such as reading and Spot checks) automatically fail. All opponents are considered to have total concealment (50% miss chance) to the blinded character. Characters who remain blinded for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.
Emphasis added.

Amnestic
2011-03-25, 09:39 PM
Unseelie Fey template (Dragon Compendium) gives you the option of having no eyes but Blindsight 30'. Tremorsense 30' is also an option.

Lateral
2011-03-25, 09:42 PM
Well, it's not exactly blindsight, but the Mindsight feat (from Lords of Madness) is pretty close. You need telepathy to get it, but you can get telepathy from a couple of races or five levels in Psion (telepath) and an ACF from Mind's Eye. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a)

BIGMamaSloth
2011-03-25, 10:11 PM
Unseelie Fey template (Dragon Compendium) gives you the option of having no eyes but Blindsight 30'. Tremorsense 30' is also an option.

what's the LA on unseelie fey?

Amnestic
2011-03-25, 10:18 PM
what's the LA on unseelie fey?

LA +0, though considering what it can offer that's probably too low. It does have an alignment restriction of Evil though.

Lateral
2011-03-25, 10:19 PM
+0, and it grants working wings (50% of Unseelie, anyway, you have to roll for it), blindsight/tremorsense (occasionally, 5% of the time for each), damage reduction at higher levels, stat bonuses/penalties adding up to +0, and one special attack. Be prepared to throw balance out the window.

Thurbane
2011-03-25, 10:26 PM
Quite possibly the only template that has CR adjustment, but no LA adjustment. :smallconfused:

Amnestic
2011-03-25, 10:31 PM
Quite possibly the only template that has CR adjustment, but no LA adjustment. :smallconfused:

An oversight? By WotC? Nah, can't be! :smalltongue:

Lateral
2011-03-25, 10:41 PM
By Dragon Magazine, no less! How could something like that slip through the fingers of the magazine's extremely balancing-capable editors! :smalltongue:

BIGMamaSloth
2011-03-25, 10:48 PM
also it says nothing about how often you can use the seasons power thing so I'm assuming its at-will? :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-25, 10:59 PM
I think there is a relatively low price magic item somewhere in the MiC.... Blindfold of true Darkness or something along the lines of that, that gives blindsight or blindsense

ffone
2011-03-26, 03:46 AM
Yep, the blindfold, it's blidnsight 30', for 9K. Ask your DM the action time to don/remove it (I say move action); wear it as a headband when not in use. Being blind protects from gaze attacks, at least.

IIRC Underdark Guide lets you put it on a weapon for 30K, and this version doesn't leave you blind. The fluff says "in hand" but ask about putting it on armor spikes.

Thurbane
2011-03-26, 08:59 AM
The Blindfold is a good suggestion, except...

I'm only looking for ways built into the character (I.E. feats or classes) instead of daily buff spells or items.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-26, 03:13 PM
Blindsight, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#blindsight5FtRadius) 5-Ft. Radius [General]

Prerequisites

Base attack bonus +4, Blind-Fight, Wisdom 19.
Benefit

Using senses such as acute hearing and sensitivity to vibrations, you can detect the location of opponents who are no more than 5 feet away from you. Invisibility and darkness are irrelevant, though you cannot discern incorporeal beings. (Except for the decreased range, this feat is identical to the blindsight special ability.)
Yeah, it's not very good with a two weapon fighter, having that high of a wisdom makes you really MAD, unless you start using other ways to capitalize on it. I'm sure there's a build lying around for a 2weapon cleric.