PDA

View Full Version : So I own a plane. Now what?

Noedig
2011-03-25, 10:35 PM
As the title states, I came into possession of a plane of existence, sort of by accident.

We're playing Shackled City, and have just finished chapter 6. We're fighting the half-fiend whatever guy in the eye socket of the mountainous skull. Combat has gone for three rounds, and its sort of clear to the party that we're in for a helluva fight. As I was pondering what to do with my turn, my brother, the wizard, says quite offhandedly after a minute of deliberation, "You should jump into the column of fire."

Now he was of course joking, but I thought this was an excellent idea. So I did it. We'd pretty much all guessed from various divinations that someone had to die to beat the last test. I figured, what the hell, might as well be me.

Now I own a plane, and I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas? Plane is now chaotic good, with a trace of lingering evil according to DM.

rayne_dragon
2011-03-25, 10:51 PM
Get some holy water and clear out that lingering evil. Redecorate as you see fit.

Then start a interdimensional zoo. Breed rust monsters and raise them into the kind that eat magic items. Capture the Tarrasque. Travel in time and set up a Jurrassic Park.

Definitely set up a huge mansion for yourself there and use it as a base of operations.

Draconi Redfir
2011-03-25, 10:53 PM
Get yourself a harem of Nymphs, elves, and various other attractive species :smallcool:

Jamini
2011-03-25, 10:56 PM
Make it the best Tavern in the multiverse. Complete with ye ode sewer dungeon down below for low-level adventurers.

Noedig
2011-03-25, 11:11 PM
There are apparently certain...restrictions. I've got some Chaotic Devas, and other celestials hanging out in an absolutely massive temple complex on the plane, and I'm really trying not to piss them off. They've made it pretty clear they will do their best to kill me if I take the plane in a direction that threatens them. I've also got some chaotic outsiders that I'm not quite sure are cool with me being around.

Also that tiny bit of evil may be sort of permanent. Im not sure.

The issue is that my actions/emotions dictate what this plane does, on a minor scale now, but as I level, my degree of control becomes more refined. I was thinking of starting up a training ground of sorts, and "leasing" out access of the plane as a celestial staging ground for assaults against evil junk.

World Eater
2011-03-25, 11:16 PM
Bring in creatures from all kinds worlds.
Make them fight.
Breed and modify the best of them.
Crash your plane into another and invade.

Draconi Redfir
2011-03-25, 11:18 PM
... Put the devas in your harem.

Noedig
2011-03-25, 11:21 PM
Im not discounting the harem idea, because its a good idea, but i dont really feel hedonism is the best use of my time.

I like the planar gladiatorial arena idea tho.

NichG
2011-03-25, 11:55 PM
Chaotic good with a hint of evil and somewhat defensive residents? Hmm...

Here's a random idea, though it'd have to fit your characters ideals for it to make sense. Make it the Plane of Lost Souls. You go and find people who divinations/etc say will come to a grim situation, seemingly no hope, and offer them an item with that clerical recall spell on it, saying: you are all heroes, going into a situation where you will all likely die. I want to offer you a way out when it looks like all hope is lost, so that if nothing else your story will be remembered.

You're helping heroes and building a bastion of heroic might, but its also a teensy bit evil because, hey, they might've pulled off a win if they hadn't had an out.

Alleran
2011-03-26, 01:07 AM
As I recall, at the end of Shackled City, you're ruling a layer of the Abyss (Occipitus), and have control over it.

So what to do with a layer of the Abyss?

Why, take over the layers above and below it, of course. Once you attain enough power, you can ascend to demon lord status.

blackjack217
2011-03-26, 01:26 AM
Use it as you base of operations to do whatever task of monumental significance you want to do. I recommend reviving Eilistraee or another God WOTC killed because they lost track (I understand only having one god of thievery for example but they went a bit too far). Or free someone from that abyssal prison plane.

Xyk
2011-03-26, 02:31 AM
I was gonna suggest giving me a ride to New Zealand, but I see that's not the kind of plane you were talking about. I can't really be of assistance.

Alleran
2011-03-26, 03:22 AM
I was gonna suggest giving me a ride to New Zealand, but I see that's not the kind of plane you were talking about. I can't really be of assistance.
More importantly, why would you want to go to New Zealand?

Yora
2011-03-26, 08:04 AM
Where else could you want to go? :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2011-03-26, 08:25 AM
Where else could you want to go? :smallbiggrin:Isn't New Zealand where the giant people-eating jellyfish live? I'd want to go anywhere but there.

profitofrage
2011-03-26, 08:40 AM
jellyfish? please in australia we have duck billed rats that can spine you to death. we also have the deadliest spider in the world..specifically bred to love hiding in your shoes.

Xyk
2011-03-26, 10:45 AM
http://www.traveljb.com/images/NZ_mountain_scenery.jpg

That's all I have to say to you people.

Chuckthedwarf
2011-03-26, 11:14 AM
Absolutely make sure that no snakes get on it. It's very important, else you're doomed!

Otherwise, the lost souls idea proposed by someone above is pretty cool.

Also, what alignment are you? Anything with Chaotic, or no?

Vemynal
2011-03-26, 12:57 PM
You should leave your plane and become lawful neutral and see what happens =D

But I also liked the gladiatorial idea ^_^

Noedig
2011-03-26, 03:14 PM
So i've been speaking with my DM about the plane. As someone pointed out, yes I am currently ruling Occipitus, but because I am neither good nor evil (CN) the plane did not rejoin the 7 heavens, but it did leave the abyss.

He also said that plane reforms itself in accordance with my racial memories, and therefore we have a completely untamed jungle continent roughly the size of Australia. It looks like Im going to have a version of Catachan on my hands in the future.
:smallbiggrin:

blackjack217
2011-03-26, 03:39 PM
So some things you need to ask yourself and your DM.
1. How much control do I have over the plane? (What does the title mean)
2. Are my party members going to kill me for any of this?
3. What kind of society do you want?
3a. Are your party members going to kill you when they learn the answer to 3?
4. What Minions can you assemble?

Volthawk
2011-03-26, 03:45 PM
Hmm, how easily can you come and go from the plane?

If you can do it pretty easily, then it could be used as a staging base for all your other adventures.

Noedig
2011-03-26, 03:55 PM
I can plane shift to and from the plane on a 1/day basis. My party has access to multiple means of plane shift as well.

Volthawk
2011-03-26, 04:04 PM
I can plane shift to and from the plane on a 1/day basis. My party has access to multiple means of plane shift as well.

Hmm, well perhaps move all your valuables over there: material wealth, any followers you picked up, family, etc. Then perhaps build a fortress, and then you have a very secure place to work from.

tonberrian
2011-03-26, 04:49 PM
Im not discounting the harem idea, because its a good idea, but i dont really feel hedonism is the best use of my time.

Everyone needs a hobby.

blackjack217
2011-03-26, 05:58 PM
Everyone needs a hobby.

Just remember you need a place to put it first.

tonberrian
2011-03-26, 06:31 PM
Just remember you need a place to put it first.

Well, he's got a plane. What more does he need?

As for what to do with the place, I don't have much to say that hasn't been said. Just remember, debauchery makes everything better!

blackjack217
2011-03-26, 07:33 PM
Well, he's got a plane. What more does he need?

As for what to do with the place, I don't have much to say that hasn't been said. Just remember, debauchery makes everything better!
A building.

tonberrian
2011-03-26, 08:05 PM
A building.

Meh. To each his own.

dsmiles
2011-03-26, 08:08 PM
A building.Not if it's a wood elf or wild elf harem. :smalltongue:

smasher0404
2011-03-26, 08:12 PM
Raise up a militia to fight the half-fiend bluffing that it threatens the entire plane unless the half-fiend is killed. Then return and live happily ever after.

Alleran
2011-03-26, 11:15 PM
http://www.traveljb.com/images/NZ_mountain_scenery.jpg

That's all I have to say to you people.
Shaking things up a bit, are you?

nolispe
2011-03-27, 01:13 AM
Shaking things up a bit, are you?

What could he possibly be shaking up? He's just repeating the obvious, after all. New Zealand's role as the bestest country ever does need repeating to the uniniated occasionally.

Pyrite
2011-03-28, 05:03 AM
Well, step number one should definitely be making a fortress of some kind. Something sprawling with unnecessarily tall towers sticking out at odd angles or off by themselves without too much regularity or regimentation, to better fit the plane's theme.

Chaotic with a hint of evil definitely makes the place sound like it'll be dangerous, and probably dangerous things will start to come about from the planescape.

Ask your DM if you can start to redirect a certain kind of petitioner to your plane, also you might consider approaching people on the material plane who are being oppressed/wiped out by authorities (slaves, oppressed serfs, native tribes fighting against foreign conquerors, etc.) and offering them a way out, by plane shifting them to your plane. Then you've got your own community. Make arrangements with the Devas to keep them protected. Likely any community growing out of this place will need to develop a pretty decent stable of warriors as well, which can be started by recruiting native guerrilla fighters and gladiators and such.

I would expect that a plane ripped from the Abyss, which had previously fallen from Celestia, would be a prize worth winning for demons, devils, and celestials. You will need to consider the defense of the plane against such outsiders, and may have to spend considerable effort proving to such interlopers that you are capable of defending yourselves.

Severus
2011-03-28, 06:21 PM
jellyfish? please in australia we have duck billed rats that can spine you to death. we also have the deadliest spider in the world..specifically bred to love hiding in your shoes.

New Zealand is completely full of awesome. Where else can you visit a glacier in a tropical forest while parrots try to eat your windshield wipers.

Australia is full of venomous beasties and crocodiles. And biblical floods.

Greylond
2011-03-28, 06:40 PM
Be on the look out for Waldorf...

blackjack217
2011-03-30, 01:30 PM
Now you start a campaign journal.

Forum Explorer
2011-03-30, 01:39 PM
Now you start a campaign journal.

ditto. I would stick the plane in a giant bubble and fuse the giant bubble into the prime material plane and create a Plane Ooze. Anything it touches is sucked into your plane! Make your plane antimagic (Unless you're a caster) so you can capture all BBEGs and their entire bases easily.