PDA

View Full Version : Wyrms of Stone [3.5 Race]

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-25, 10:44 PM
Draconyx
[Dray-CO-nix]
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/Gecko-King/dragon_by_aditya777-d2xr8vx.jpg

If Tiamat has her spawn, and Bahamut has his Dragonborn, then the Draconyx are the children of Sardior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030124a), Master of the Gem Dragons.

Although Sardior was not truly jealous of his fellow deities and their fame, he still saw the need to have a foothold on the worlds, or at least more of a foothold than his aloof children, the Gem Dragons. And so from Onyx and Pearls his crafted a new addition to his children - The Draconyx, and gave them the breath of life. He raised them and cared for them, teaching them magics so they might be able to defend themselves and better their lives, keeping them in the Astral Plane away from the prying eyes of Bahamut and Tiamat, and his fellow draconic gods such as the playful Aasterinian and the insane Garyx.
When he felt them ready, he carved them out a home in the mineral-rich mountains of the Prime Material, and left them to it. To this day, the Draconyx still live in their caves, lit with the glow of shining pearls. They dwell in small enclaves of no more than 20, with close knit family groups lead by a Primarch and advised by any Psions that might bless the enclave.

The average Draconyx is just over 6ft tall and weighs about 150 pounds, with a thick build and heavy draconic features, such as a dragon's head, and dark smooth scales. They also have small claws and stubby teeth, but these aren't really useful for battle without major effort to sharpen them. The main feature, however, is the glowing pearls that are buried deep within their hide. They glow with a dull light, just enough to brighten the caves that the Draconyx dwell in. Some have wings and others have the ability to summon pearly orbs with their mental energies and these blessed few normally make up the higher echelon of the enclave, seeing this as a sign of greatness.

The Draconyx normally has a calm personality, although this normally turns to fervor devotion when Sardior is mentioned, as they all acknowledge him to be their father and creator, regardless of if they agree with his clergy and his ways. Other races tend to struggle with the Draconyx, as their personality seems lazy and simple, when this is considered the norm for Draconyx. They think things should be done properly or not done at all, which is why they don't do many things in a short amount of time - they can't stand things half done, and they know that they are quite lazy.

Draconyx Racial Traits

+2 Wis, -2 Cha, -2 Dex: Draconyx are deep thinkers, but are slow movers and are hard to talk to with their sleepy manner.
Medium Dragon: Draconyx are the children of Sardior, and bear his draconic blood. As Dragons, Draconyx are unaffected by effects that only work on humanoids (such as Hold Person), have low-light vision and Darkvision out 60ft, and affected by the various anti-Dragon measures various peoples have wrought. Note that while Draconyx are members of the dragon race, they were birthed originally from stone and so cannot be considered True Dragons.
Land Speed: 20ft. The Draconyx are known to have slow reflexes that impede fast movement.
Naturally Psionic: The Draconyx are born from the will of a god associated with psionics, and thus have gained some aptitude with it. A Draconyx gains 2 bonus power points at 1st level.
Drowzy: The Draconyx tends to be a sleepy creature, hindering more subtle movements and coupled with a Draconyx's poor hand-eye coordination on top of that. A Draconyx has a -2 penalty to any Sleight of Hand they make. However, they gain a +2 racial bonus to Spot checks, as Draconyx tend to stare at things a lot.
Onyx Body: The Draconyx, being made of stone, can withstand more than the average person. They have +1 Natural Armor.
Pearly Glow: The Draconyx oddly have pearls embedded into their form, which can glow with a simple mental thought. As a free action, the Draconyx can activate or deactivate the pearls in their hide, which glow with the light of a torch.
Favored Class: Ardent
LA: +0

Random Starting Ages
{table="head"]
Adulthood|
Simple|
Moderate|
Complex
75 years|
+15d10|
+15d15|
+15d20[/table]

Aging Effects
{table="head"]
Middle Age|
Old|
Venerable|
Maximum Age
400 years|
700 years|
1000 years|
+100d5 years[/table]

Random Height and Weight
{table="head"]
Gender|
Base Height|
Height Modifier|
Base Weight|
Weight Modifier
Male|
6'4"|
+2d6|
150 lb.|
× (2d10) lb.
Female|
6'0"|
+2d6|
135 lb.|
× (2d10) lb.[/table]

------

Racial Feats

Spectral Pearls
Prerequisites: Draconyx, Concentration 3 ranks.
Benefit: Via simple meditation, you have developed the odd ability of being able to create translucent orbs of light akin to the pearls that line your hide. You have a continual aura of Dancing Lights that can be as spread out as the spell will allow, with a caster level equal to your HD (when applicable), easily suppressed or reactivated as a swift action. The only difference to a normal Dancing Lights spell is that instead of four lights, the Draconyx has a number of lights equal to your character level. At 3rd level, by paying 2pp you can use Glitterdust as an SLA, with a caster level equal to your character level.

Onyx Hunter
Prerequisites: Draconyx
Benefit: You have adjusted the small claws on your hands and stubby teeth in your jaw so they are easy to be used in battle. You gain two primary claw attack dealing 1d4 damage each, and a secondary bite attack dealing 1d4 damage.
Special: This feat may be taken as a bonus Psychic Warrior or Fighter feat.

Onyx Flight
Prerequisites: Draconyx, 1st level only
Benefit: You have been blessed by Sardior with large leathery wings, which slowly give you the benefits of flight. You take no damage from falling from a height of 50ft or less and you take half damage from falling a height higher than 50ft. At 4th level, you gain a Flight Speed equal to your land speed that can be used for a number of hours equal to your Con Mod per day, before tiring out and being unable to fly anymore for the day. If you are still in the air when you fly for longer than your Con Mod in hours then you start falling as normal. This does not occur however, if you are on the ground at the end of the final round of possible flight. At 9th level, you can use your flight speed as easily as you can walk and for as long as you want. Also, you can fly at normal speeds with up to a medium load.

------

Alternate Class Features

Draconyx Psychic Warrior

Being psionically adept and made of stone means Draconyx are great at melding mental power and physical strength. They learn to tap into their stony heritage to bolster their flesh and emulate their brethren's breath weapon.

HD: d10
A Draconyx can elect to take these substitution levels at 3rd and 5th level.

{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Manifesting
3rd|+1|+3|+0|+0|Earthcore Hide| As Psychic Warrior
5th|+3|+4|+1|+1|Bonus Feat, Mindfire Breath|See text[/table]

Class Skills: (2 + Int modifier per level);
Autohypnosis (Wis), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), and Swim (Str).

Class Features
All the following are class features of the Draconyx Psychic Warrior

Earthcore Hide (Psi): At 2nd level, the Draconyx Psychic Warrior can tap into the strength of the earth, gaining a +2 bonus to their Natural Armor. Once per day as an immediate action, the Draconyx Psychic Warrior may tap deeper into the earth and pay a number of power points (limited by their ML) and gain a bonus to their natural armor equal to their payment for three rounds.

This replaces the Draconyx Psychic Warrior's bonus feat normally granted at 2nd level.

Mindfire Breath (Psi): At 4th level, the Draconyx Psychic Warrior can use the power that wells within their mental faculties to mimic the iconic power of a dragon's breath.
As a standard action, a Draconyx Psychic Warrior may pay a number of power points (Limited by their ML) to use a breath attack dealing Xd4 points of force damage in a 50ft cone (Reflex Save to halve and treat this as one of the Psychic Warrior's powers to determine the save), with X being the amount of power points payed.
The Draconyx Psychic Warrior must wait 1d4 rounds in between each use of the breath attack, but it can be used in conjunction with Metabreath Feats. Instead of delaying when the Draconyx Psychic Warrior can use their breath attack, they must instead pay a number of power points equal to the delay in rounds the Metabreath feat would normally impose, plus one. If the Draconyx takes the Recover Breath feat, then they pay one less power point to apply the Metabreath effect to their Mindfire Breath.
A Draconyx Psychic Level that takes this Substitution Level can now take Metabreath feats as the bonus feats granted by certain levels in Psychic Warrior.

A Draconyx Psychic Warrior that takes this substitution level at 5th level does not learn a new power, and thus will always have one less power in their list of powers know, unless they add powers to their list by means of class abilities/feats such as Expanded Knowledge.

------

Creator's Comments
Yes, a playable dragon. No, i'm not giving it LA. There are LA+0 Outsiders (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2), Warforged exist for all your robotism needs, and Elans/Synads work for all you Cthullu-lovers. Anyway, Dragonwrought Kobold. At least i've outlined you can't pull Loredrake/Spellhoarding cheese, and is immunity to magical sleep and paralysis effect REALLY worth the fuss? No. But just because there is the possibility i'm wrong, they've been given a sleepy outlook and slow reflexes, with the penalties that would befit this (Slow land speed, poor hand-eye coordination).
Anyway, I made this simply because Psionics are cool, Dragons are cool, and a draconic god that won't get in your grill (Sardior's entry in the link above says he just leave his worshippers to it for the main part) would be nice too. Thus, I present to Draconyx to you. Enjoy!

Zaydos
2011-03-25, 10:49 PM
It looks... under powered. Normally I consider +2 to a casting stat dangerous, but with -2 to 2 stats (one is charisma which is normally dumpable). Two penalties, and only benefits being +2 power points and at-will Light targetting yourself.

It doesn't need LA (yes, polymorph shenanigans, but other than that), it needs a little boost though.

Just my 2 cp.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-25, 10:51 PM
Ah, I prefer underpowered to overpowered, I guess. I shall give it some natural armor. It is made of freaking stone, after all.

Zaydos
2011-03-25, 10:53 PM
Ah, I prefer underpowered to overpowered, I guess. I shall give it some natural armor. It is made of freaking stone, after all.

Same here, I think this is the first time my gut response was "too weak" (then again the longer I'm on these forums the higher my balance point goes). I'd be careful with too much NA, 1 might do it.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-25, 10:54 PM
Ah.....how about 2? Too much?

Sacrieur
2011-03-25, 10:55 PM

Here's the thing about underpowered: no one wants to play it.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-25, 10:55 PM
Hence why i'm fixing it. :smalltongue:

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-03-26, 03:05 AM
Draconyx Racial Traits

+2 Wis, -2 Cha, -2 Dex: Draconyx are deep thinkers, but are slow movers and are hard to talk to with their sleepy manner.
Medium Dragon: Draconyx are the children of Sardior, and bare his draconic blood. As Dragons, Draconyx are unaffected by effects that only work on humanoids (such as Hold Person), have low-light vision and Darkvision out 60ft, and affected by the various anti-Dragon measures various peoples have wrought. Note that while Draconyx are members of the dragon race, they were birthed originally from stone, and so cannot be considered True Dragons.
Land Speed: 20ft. The Draconyx are known to have slow reflexes that impede fast movement.
Naturally Psionic: The Draconyx are born from the will of a god associated with psionics, and thus have gained some aptitude with it. A Draconyx gains 2 bonus power points at 1st level.
Drowzy: The Draconyx tends to be a sleepy creature, hindering more subtle movements and coupled with a Draconyx's poor hand-eye coordination on top of that. A Draconyx has a -2 penalty to any Sleight of Hand they make. However, they gain a +2 racial bonus to Spot checks, as Draconyx tend to stare at things a lot.
Onyx Body: The Draconyx, being made of stone, can withstand more than the average person. They have +2 Natural Armor.
Pearly Glow: The Draconyx oddly have pearls embedded into their form, which can glow with a simple mental thought. As a free action, the Draconyx can activate or deactivate the pearls in their hide, which glow with the light of a torch.
Favored Class: Ardent
LA: +0

It's too much (unless you're doing Pathfinder.) Mostly because of the high natural armor and Wisdom bonus. Drop the natural armor to +1 and you'll be okay.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-26, 07:34 AM
+1 it is, I guess. Now, I can get on to some ACF's.

DracoDei
2011-03-29, 01:32 PM
You need to specify how long/the qualify of rest between flight for the feat that grants flight.

Also, explicitly stating the 1d4 round delay for the BW would be good.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-29, 01:50 PM
Got it. Also, anything else anyone wants to see?

Zaydos
2011-03-29, 02:19 PM
With Spectral Pearls it says they sit on you, I assume this means that you can't send the lights off like you could with Dancing Lights. As it says the only difference is number of lights you might want to make sure it is clearly stated, though, just in case.

With the racial substitution levels one is a 3rd level substitution level and replaces your 2nd level feat :smallconfused: Should probably make it a second level substitution level instead. I read it as increasing your natural armor bonus by 2, but if I'm wrong tell me.

The other says it replaces something at 5th level and is Lv 5 on table, but says you take it at 4th level in the text. I'm assuming a typo there but it should be noted. I'd also suggest that metabreath feats take number of rounds x2 extra pps because that's more in line with metamagic (metabreath apply the level modifier as a round modifier instead, psionics pay level modifier x2 as extra pps) but because it's more limited than an actual metapsionic feat I actually like the reduced cost.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-29, 02:23 PM
Ah, see most of this is poor editing. See kids! Learn how to type properly, or solving that if you become an all powerful lich, just get someone to type for you. :smallannoyed:

As for the pp costs, keep in mind their already paying more than they usually pay for a power, so I'll keep the costs the way they are, methinks.

Zaydos
2011-03-29, 02:28 PM
Ah, see most of this is poor editing. See kids! Learn how to type properly, or solving that if you become an all powerful lich, just get someone to type for you. :smallannoyed:

As for the pp costs, keep in mind their already paying more than they usually pay for a power, so I'll keep the costs the way they are, methinks.

Yeah. Like I said my first reaction was the price is odd but I liked it, it was more of a note on a fine point of creation than a critique.

These are really nice work, I might use them sometime in a campaign if you don't mind. My only problem is that WotC made a gem dragon god before I could.

TheGeckoKing
2011-03-29, 02:33 PM
Fantastic. Also, you've reminded me that some of the Sardior stuff needs to be (slightly) converted from 3.0 to 3.5, which would give me something to do.