PDA

View Full Version : Colored Text

Deathslayer7
2011-03-26, 01:58 AM
So everytime I highlight the words I want and click to make them darkred, the normal code appears but the second time I highlight words and click darkred, this appears Anytime after that the rgb appears as well.

Anyone know why? I'm using Chrome if that matters.
[COLOR="DarkGreen" ] (first time i click dark green)
[COLOR="rgb(0, 100, 0)" ][/COLOR ][/COLOR ] (second time I click darkgreen)
[COLOR="DarkRed" ][/COLOR ] (first time for dark red)
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)" ][/COLOR ] (second time for dark red)

It happens with any color. Strangely if I click it without typing any thing, I get dark red, but the moment I type a single letter or hit enter i get that weird rgb code.

Vaynor
2011-03-26, 02:07 AM
I'm not sure exactly, but this issue has cropped up before, and I believe it was a browser issue. Does it happen in Firefox/another browser?

NineThePuma
2011-03-26, 02:23 AM
I'd like to note that I use chrome and this doesn't pop up.

Of course, I WRITE my code out by hand.
asdfkjasdgf
Nothing happened. No RGB.

Edit: missed a crucial step. Yes, it pops up in chrome.

Just don't double click?

Elder Tsofu
2011-03-26, 03:12 AM
Looks like this for moi when I follow the instructions:

Go Go coloured text!

Using Opera.

The_Snark
2011-03-26, 03:29 AM
Are you opening the drop-down menu and selecting the color you want each time, or are you simply hitting the color displayed above the A in the toolbar that second time, without using the menu? I've found that a number of colors give a non-functioning rgb code when I try to use that little shortcut. (They work fine as long as I use the menu, though.)

Black, grey, purple, navy, blue, teal, green, lime, olive, yellow, orange, red, silver, and white work normally for me; the rest only work when selected from the drop-down menu. I'm not sure why those colors are different; maybe they're the basic color set, and the others were added in later?

I use Safari, but tested it in Firefox and it seems to work the same way there.

senrath
2011-03-26, 03:32 AM
I could not replicate the problem using Firefox 4.0

Volthawk
2011-03-26, 05:56 AM
Happens to me, and I use Chrome.

Deathslayer7
2011-03-27, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure exactly, but this issue has cropped up before, and I believe it was a browser issue. Does it happen in Firefox/another browser?

I'm posting this from Mozilla.

[/COLOR ] ok this is the first one
[COLOR="DarkRed" ][/COLOR ] and it works fine.
doesn't look like there's a problem to me.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]nope no problem at all.

Looks like it is limited to Chrome.

Deathslayer7
2011-03-27, 01:31 AM
and back to Chrome we go.
[/COLOR ]this is good.
and this is the second time I clicked the dropdown menu and then the color.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]third time, again same as above.
fourth again same as above.
[COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)" ][/COLOR ]

Ok so it seems that if I click the drop down menu for the colors and click the individual colors, it works, but if I just click the shortcut, I get the rgb code? I doubt there's a way around this, but I guess it is good to know its not just me. If anyone can pinpoint the problem, that would be good too.

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-27, 03:31 AM
Just out of curiosity, why is this a problem? It seems like the end result is the same regardless of whether it says DarkRed or rgb(139,0,0), isn't it?

senrath
2011-03-27, 03:36 AM
Nope, it doesn't work with the rgb code like that.

The_Snark
2011-03-27, 03:41 AM
Just out of curiosity, why is this a problem? It seems like the end result is the same regardless of whether it says DarkRed or rgb(139,0,0), isn't it?

I don't think so. The following bit of code doesn't seem to do anything:
test

It still isn't really a problem, since selecting the color again from the menu only takes a couple extra seconds. A mostly harmless little bug.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-27, 05:10 AM
I don't think so. The following bit of code doesn't seem to do anything:
test

It still isn't really a problem, since selecting the color again from the menu only takes a couple extra seconds. A mostly harmless little bug.

i think it's more the fact that there is a shortcut button there, and as such we feel entitled to be able to use it only for our hopes to be dashed against the rocky shore of reality.

NineThePuma
2011-03-27, 06:22 AM
Considering I memorized the hex for a dozen colors, I don't have any sympathy for people using the shortcut.

It's a minor bug that crops up due to the interface interacting with the browser. I think that the rgb version is actually trying to self-convert to Hex, but the browser is likely not interacting with that code somehow.

Thanatos 51-50
2011-03-27, 10:51 AM
Test Line One

Test Line Two

Test Line Three

Another Test Line

I Get "Color="#8b0000", using Opera. Post Preview looks the same.

EDIT:
Confirmed. Everything looks the same.

Moff Chumley
2011-03-27, 11:22 PM
Safari had this problem, too.

But no one cares about Safari. :smallcool:

Vaynor
2011-03-28, 12:54 AM
Safari had this problem, too.

But no one cares about Safari. :smallcool:

I care about Safari, but I just type out color code whenever I use it, so...

Flame of Anor
2011-03-30, 08:38 PM
Of course, I WRITE my code out by hand.

Well, I use C-x M-c M-butterfly.

Galathir
2011-04-06, 10:18 PM
Looks like this for moi when I follow the instructions:

Go Go coloured text!

Using Opera.

I get the same thing using opera 11 but I don't really see it as a problem. It's just strange.

Geordnet
2011-04-16, 09:31 AM
You don't need the quotes when setting the rgb values like this:
Text Goes Here.

The number after the # is a 3-byte hex value, #RRGGBB. It doesn't need quotes because it's a scalar, not a string -meaning the browser automatically recognises them as numbers. It's everything else that needs to be differentiated.

The reason that "rgb(139, 0, 0)" notation doesn't work with you is because it isn't standardized, and therefore your browser doesn't recognize it. This isn't really the browser's fault though, because that sort of over-mneumonification is really something that should be cut down on. (From a programmer's point of view.)

Also, if you want to show your BBCode, use the [noparse] tag.