PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PrC] An incarnation of demonic fury, the Shaman of Wrath

MammonAzrael
2011-03-26, 05:09 AM
Shaman of Wrath

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c384/Mammon_Azrael/Barbarian_Chick_by_tiger1313.jpg

”If you block my path I will tear the legs that you should have been using to run off your body and beat you with them until you change your mind.”

- Cara Vol, a shaman of wrath, said with a polite smile
Demons are full of rage and hatred, a burning anger so intense it can reduce the world around them to ash. Those unlucky souls that that bear demonic blood can feel that anger bubbling deep in their soul, boiling their blood and filming their eyes with red. A shaman of wrath is someone who has followed that anger, controlled and shaped it into a deadly weapon of destruction.

Becoming a Shaman of Wrath
To become a shaman of wrath one must first and foremost have a demon lurking somewhere in their ancestry, for that dark rage is what gives them power. They must have learned to harness that anger, however, and channel the rage into focused bursts of incredible fury. Most will have walked a hard road, having flashes of anger throughout their life that has lead to many unfortunate and unintended consequences. Others will have reveled in the power they gain, and sought out ways to become more full of rage.

Entry Requirements
Alignment: Any chaotic
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Intimidate 8 ranks
Special: Eldritch blast, rage ability

Skill points at each level: 2 + Intelligence modifier
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowlege (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str)

Hit Dice: d8

Table: Shaman of Wrath
Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Eldritch fury

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|DR 1/cold iron, eldritch blast +1d6

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Thirst for blood

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Eldritch blast +1d6, eldritch fury (essences)

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|DR 2/cold iron, inhuman rage

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Eldritch blast +1d6, essence invocation

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Furious presence

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|DR 3/cold iron, eldritch blast +1d6

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Wrathful blast

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Eldritch blast +1d6, eldritch fury (full attack)

Weapon and Armor proficiencies
A shaman of wrath gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Invocations and Rage
Add your full shaman of wrath levels to your warlock level to determine the caster level of your invocations (including eldritch blast), and to determine the grades of invocation you can learn. Add your full shaman of wrath levels to your barbarian level to determine the number of times per day you can rage.

Eldritch Fury (Su)

By tapping into the rage of his demonic ancestors, a shaman of wrath can channel that savagery into his blows. You may make a single melee attack as a standard action while you are raging. You channel your eldritch blast through your weapon with this attack. If the attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally; then the effect of the eldritch blast is resolved. You cannot apply any blast shapes or eldritch essences when channeling your eldritch blast in this manner.

At 4th level you grow more skilled at directing your dark power into more focused destruction. You can apply eldritch essences to your eldritch blast when you use eldritch fury.

At 10th level you make a deep connection to the furious power within yourself. While raging, you can channel your eldritch blast into each attack of a full attack, affecting each target you hit in melee combat that round.

Eldritch Blast (Sp)

At 2nd level and every even-numbered level thereafter (4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th), the damage of your eldritch blast improves by 1d6 points.

Damage Reduction (Su)

Fortified by the supernatural power flowing through your body, you become resistant to physical attacks. You gain damage reduction 1/cold iron at 2nd level. Your damage reduction improves to 2/cold iron at 5th level, and to 3/cold iron at 8th level. This damage reduction stacks with the damage reduction granted by the warlock class.

Thirst for Blood (Sp)

At 3rd level you gain the thirst for blood invocation (Greater; 5th; Eldritch Essence). Focusing the intense nature of your ancestor, you can enrage your allies, bolstering their prowess. When you use this invocation, each ally (including you) within 30 ft. gains a +4 morale bonus to their Strength and Constitution scores, a +2 morale bonus to their Will saves and the DCs of any spells they cast, and a -2 penalty to their armor class.

While under the effects of this invocation, an affected creature cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. They can only cast spells that deal deal hit point damage. They can use any feat they have except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.

The effects of this invocation last for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. This is a mind-affecting effect. Creatures affected by this invocation are considered to be in a rage for abilities and effects that consider rage.

Inhuman Rage (Su)

At 5th level a Shaman of Wrath unlocks the potential of his lineage, giving himself to the terrible power of his demonic sires. Whenever you enter a rage it is changed into an inhuman rage.

While in an inhuman rage, you gain an additional +2 bonus to Strength and Constitution, a +4 bonus to Charisma, energy resistance 10 to acid, cold, electricity, and fire, and spell resistance 15 + character level, but your Armor Class takes an additional -2 penalty (these are in addition to all the normal effects of rage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/barbarian.htm#rage)). In addition any DR you have that is overcome by cold iron is doubled. When the inhuman rage ends, you lose the rage modifiers and restrictions and become exhausted (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#exhausted) for the duration of the current encounter. At the end of the encounter you are fatigued (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#fatigued).

You may use eldritch fury during an inhuman rage.

Essence Invocation (Sp)

At 6th level, you learn any one least, lesser, or greater essence invocation.

Furious Presence (Ex)

At 7th level, you can unsettle foes with your mere presence, as they can feel the demonic rage boiling just below your skin, barely contained. Once per round, when you attack, charge, or makes an Intimidate check opponents within 30 ft. must make a Will save with a DC equal to 10 + your class level + your Cha modifier. A creature that succeeds on the Will save remains immune to your furious presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures become shaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#shaken) for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. Shamans of wrath are unaffected by the furious presence of other shamans of wrath.

Wrathful Blast (Sp)

Concentrating on the whirling chaos and anger in the deepest parts of your soul, you can imbue that undying inferno of wrath into your eldritch blast. At 9th level, you gain the wrathful blast invocation (Dark; 8th; Eldritch Essence). This eldritch essence invocation allows you to change your eldritch blast into a wrathful blast. A creature hit by a wrathful blast must make a will save or fly into a frenzied whirlwind of death.

An affected creature temporarily gains a +10 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (except this one). If it makes a full attack action it gains a single extra attack at it's highest bonus (this does not stack with haste (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/haste.htm) or other effects that grant additional attacks). It also takes a -4 penalty to Armor Class, and it must attack the nearest creature the the best of it’s ability with a melee attack. If there are no creatures within reach the affected creature must move to and attack the closest target (charging, if possible).

While under the effects of wrathful blast, the affected creature cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Intimidate), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, drink a potion, nor can it cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function. It can use any feat it has except Combat Expertise, item creation feats, and metamagic feats.

As long as a creature is under the effects of wrathful blast, it is not treated as disabled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#disabled) at 0 hit points, nor dying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dying) at -1 to -9 hit points. If reduced to -10 hit points or less, it continues to fight normally until wrathful blast ends. At that point the effects of the wounds apply normally if they have not been healed. This does not prevent death from massive damage or spell effects such as slay living (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slayLiving.htm) or disintergrate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/disintegrate.htm).

Wrathful blast lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. It is a mind-affecting effect. Creatures Immune to mind-affecting effects that are hit will still take damage from this invocation, but will not be affected by its other effects.

Playing a Shaman of Wrath
A shaman of wrath is often a very controlled person. There is a seething cauldron of rage just under the surface, and they must maintain a constant focus and detachment to not lash out at the simplest of things. Those that do push a shaman of wrath will find they can snap suddenly and with drastic results. Evil shamans of wrath tend to ignore control altogether, instead reveling in their anger, causing them to be extremely unpredictable and hard to please.

Combat: A shaman of wrath will typically bolster his allies, shouting encouragement, before charging towards her enemies in a deep fury. Stealth is not their strong suite as they tend to be extremely blunt and up front. They will relentlessly chase down fleeing enemies, blasting them with eldritch blasts until they can run no more. Extremely powerful shamans of wrath will infect their enemies with a mindless blood-lust and watch them tear into their own allies, savoring the fierce abandon.
Advancement: A shaman of wrath will commonly pursue a path that continues to advance their dark powers of anger. Further barbarian and warlock levels are standard, though many find more specialized paths to their liking. Feats that enhance their rage are excellent choices for fueling their abilities.
Resources: A shaman of wrath will often only have the resources they have managed to retain over their adventures. Unfortunately, they can often burn bridges even as they are using them.

Shamans of Wrath in the World
”I looked into her eyes as she ran towards me and Freat, I’d never seen such pure rage before. I felt my pants warm as I dropped my spear and fled. I thank the gods that she only cared about getting through the door, and I pray that wherever Freat is he doesn’t remember the screams he made that chased me as I ran. I swear I will never cheat a barbarian again.”

- anonymous guard of a local thieves guild
Shamans of wrath most commonly come from tribal backgrounds where barbarians and simple lives can be found. Nearly all shamans of wrath will become adventures at some point, as their volatile nature makes it difficult to put down stable roots anywhere. Rarely able to keep any form of employment, they will usually become mercenaries or wandering protectors.

Daily Life: A light and pleasant day is spent drinking and traveling in the company of friends. however, it takes relatively little to turn a pleasant day into one filled with bloodshed. Though afterwards a shaman of wrath can often go on enjoying their day once they have vented their anger. A warm tavern and a thrilling story are excellent ends to the day.
Notables:
Organizations: Shamans of wrath can barely retain reliable employment, much less build a united organization. Their best chance is worshiping a particularly battle-loving deity.

NPC Reaction
Most of the time people will think that a shaman of wrath is just another barbarian, albeit a very touchy one. However, if one is unlucky enough to see a shaman in battle, the energies they channel, and the fear they inspire, are noteworthy differences. As long as they are clam, a shaman will find the acceptance that any traveler receives when entering a new town, and should be fine as long as they avoid wearing out their welcome.

Shamans of Wrath in the Game
Characters that become shamans of wrath will favor up-front, melee tactics. They will often use their eldritch blast only against fleeing opponents or those they can’t close distance with. The choice between a two-handed weapon and two weapons is something hotly debated by shamans of wrath, and when two disagree often only the winner of the argument walks away from it in one piece. Feats like Extra Rage are strong choices since most of a shaman or wraths abilities rely on being in a rage.

Adaptation: Shamans of wrath can fit into any setting where demons and warlocks exist, and can easily be re-fluffed from demons to simply channeling the inner rage of the barbarian.
Encounters: A common encounter with an NPC shaman of wrath would be at a tavern on on the road as a mercenary. They can make an touchy diplomatic encounter where a fight is preferred, but there should be at least a slim chance to non-violent solutions.

Designer Notes
I originally made this class several years ago (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73228). I was going to just clean up the formatting, but I wanted to rework the class a bit and add some actual info instead of just the crunch. This PrC was partly inspired by the Eldritch Glaive build of the Warlock. The frontlines are a place Warlocks usually don't like to be, but Glaivelocks are an exception, and that got me thinking what a character with Warlock powers would be like if he were born in a more brutal, physical world and raised in a society that emphasized physical prowess? Not all Warlock are born in cities or other areas that go with their common emphasis Dex and Cha. So this can be what happens if a warlock is raised in a barbarian tribe; they combine their lineage with the power of their people into a very angry and very scary incarnation of wrath.

Edits
3/26/2011
Cleaned up errors
Noted that Thirst for Blood counts as being in a rage for effects that key off it.

Benly
2011-03-26, 05:31 AM
Thirst For Blood could use two clarifications. First, it should probably be Save: Harmless so that you don't accidentally screw over another party member. Second, it should clarify whether it counts as being in a rage for purposes of effects that trigger while in a rage.

Delegreg
2011-03-26, 07:07 AM
Nice mix, a few things however :

Eldritch Blast is described twice (copy-paste)

"Caster level" and "Max invocation grade" progress, but the character learns no new invocations except for the essence granted at 6th level, severely limiting progression on the warlock side (no new essences or shapes, no "utility" invocations).

Was it intended like that or should this class also stack with warlock to determine number of invocations known ?

Otherwise, love the flavour, and great picture ;-)

MammonAzrael
2011-03-26, 03:28 PM
Thirst For Blood could use two clarifications. First, it should probably be Save: Harmless so that you don't accidentally screw over another party member. Second, it should clarify whether it counts as being in a rage for purposes of effects that trigger while in a rage.

Why should it be all upside? Part of the idea behind Thirst for Blood is that it is indiscriminate. Otherwise it would be unquestionably used in every situation. I could make it target only allies that you wanted to target, but doesn't that seem a little too good for an invocation you get at level 8?

Hmm, that is a good point.

Nice mix, a few things however :

Eldritch Blast is described twice (copy-paste)

"Caster level" and "Max invocation grade" progress, but the character learns no new invocations except for the essence granted at 6th level, severely limiting progression on the warlock side (no new essences or shapes, no "utility" invocations).

Was it intended like that or should this class also stack with warlock to determine number of invocations known ?

Otherwise, love the flavour, and great picture ;-)

Curses! It was supposed to be a "Cut-paste," but clearly I cannot tell the difference between the c and x keys.

It is intended to not advance the number of invocations gained. Like the Enlightened Spirit PrC, you gain some invocations as you progress in the class. The note that the class stacks with warlock is so that when you finish with the class you can take more levels of warlock and not be stuck having to take least or lesser invocations. You're trading some of those invocations and the utility away for the melee power the class offers.

Thank Fax Celestis for the picture, he really came through with it in the Dungeons and Dreamboats thread. :smallbiggrin:

Benly
2011-03-26, 03:31 PM
Why should it be all upside? Part of the idea behind Thirst for Blood is that it is indiscriminate. Otherwise it would be unquestionably used in every situation. I could make it target only allies that you wanted to target, but doesn't that seem a little too good for an invocation you get at level 8?

No, it really doesn't.

There's a reason that Save: Harmless exists. The rage buff has its own tradeoffs (like not being able to use most skills or spells, for example!). It should be up to each character's player whether they want to live with that. It really is not fun for another PC to have an at-will ability that screws you over unavoidably, especially if the other player has questionable judgment.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-26, 03:39 PM
No, it really doesn't.

There's a reason that Save: Harmless exists. The rage buff has its own tradeoffs (like not being able to use most skills or spells, for example!). It should be up to each character's player whether they want to live with that. It really is not fun for another PC to have an at-will ability that screws you over unavoidably, especially if the other player has questionable judgment.

Very good point. I'll make that change then.