PDA

View Full Version : DnD 3.5 Gamebreakers

jywu98
2011-03-26, 08:10 AM
I have recently started DnD 3.5(about a year ago) and heard of the game breaking stuff like LoP's Dirty Tricks. I tried looking at them from the links in the wizards forum, but most links just brings me back to the forum homepage. I don't know if this has been posted already, but I would appreciate it if you sent me a link to the gamebreaking stuff or if you posted them down here.

Radar
2011-03-26, 08:17 AM
Most of those insane builds and tricks were at some point reposted at Brilliant Gamologist boards. Relevant subforum would be here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=10.0).

gbprime
2011-03-26, 10:13 AM
Remember, no matter how powerful a build is, it's only "broken" if (A) the player using it eclipses other players and makes them wonder why they even bother to roll initiative or (B) the game's DM cannot come up with a plot that can survive in the face of the players' abilities.

If everyone in the group is playing d20 superheroes, that's fine as long as they're all having fun, broken or not.

ooknabah
2011-03-26, 11:00 AM
How "gamebreaking" are you looking for?

The Changeling from the MM3 and the Wild Shaper prestige class is a pretty broken combo IMHO.

Urpriest
2011-03-26, 04:30 PM
How "gamebreaking" are you looking for?

The Changeling from the MM3 and the Wild Shaper prestige class is a pretty broken combo IMHO.

You mean Warshaper? That's only broken if you include the "infinite natural weapons" interpretation.

Anyway, I think the OP is going for more convoluted, nigh-infinite builds like the Nasty Gentlemen.

PlsBreakMyCampAn (or something like that) hangs around these forums and has a build compendium of this sort of stuff. Not sure if it's worth it to bother tracking him down though, he always ends his posts in the middle of a sentence as if he were being pursued by Candleja

SurlySeraph
2011-03-26, 07:11 PM
Here's PBMC's Build Compendium (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3084.0)

ffone
2011-03-26, 07:43 PM
Most of those insane builds and tricks were at some point reposted at Brilliant Gamologist boards. Relevant subforum would be here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?board=10.0).

Love the thread titles.

'Drown-Based Invulnerability'

'How to turn yourself into an infinite-charge wand'

Sounds like the Self-Help section in the local bookstore in Tippyverse.

Firechanter
2011-03-26, 07:52 PM
I love the subforum title more: "You break it, you buy it" *LOL*

Derjuin
2011-03-26, 08:09 PM
I've heard the following can be kind of game breaking, unless other people are of similar levels of gamebreakingness:

There's a combination between wizards, sorcerers and other arcane casters that use the Wiz/Sorc list, and the following feats/class abilities: Arcane Disciple (Luck domain), Shadow Illusion (from the Shadowcraft Mage PrC, Races of Stone), Heighten Spell and Earth Spell. Shadow Illusion lets you turn a figment spell (like Silent Image or Programmed Image) into a somewhat-imaginary Evocation, Conjuration (summoning) or Conjuration (creation) spell, based on the level of the Image spell (You can copy a spell of those schools with a spell level equal to 1 - the Image's level, and it has a % reality based on the image's full level). However, with heighten spell and earth spell, you can increase the effective level of, say, Silent Image to 10 (using a 9th level slot, thanks to earth spell). With Arcane Disciple (Luck), Miracle (an evocation spell) is on your spell list.

You can now make a 100% real copy of Miracle, using the costs/cast time/etc. of Silent Image. Or, you can make a 100% real copy of Gate, or Genesis, or Meteor Swarm if you felt like it...etc. etc. I am not sure if metamagic reducers work on Heighten Spell; from the SRD and the description of Practical Metamagic (Races of the Dragon, noticeably lacking a clause that it won't affect Heighten Spell, unlike Arcane Thesis), I would assume it does, but I'm probably wrong.

Even better, the capstone for Shadowcraft Mage lets you make 120% real copies of level 9 evoc/conjuration (summon/creation) spells. If they succeed on their will save, they take MORE damage? :smallconfused: