PDA

View Full Version : [Tome of Tactics] Musing on Weapons Exotic and Legendary [PEACH]

playswithfire
2011-03-26, 09:50 AM
Update: added mechanics for Hail of Arrows; looking for feedback, particularly from anyone who was involved in the Refactoring ToB archery process.

While I'm still working on Tome of Tactics (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183826), I wanted to start thinking about the weapons of legacy. That prompted me to realize that some of the weapons I listed as associated from the disciplines were from Sandstorm and I'd like to limit the number of books necessary to use the crunch in Tome of Tactics. Ideally, I'd like it to require no more than the SRD, ToB, Complete Warrior and Complete Adventurer to be able to find the things I reference (though when playing, I'd add in a few more Completes).

The below are the results of trying to replace the collapsing crescent fan and scorpion claws. I also added one that I plan to add to the Master's Voice list, if only because I'd planned to do something like it for the Weapon of Legacy

I'd appreciate feedback on both the exotic weapons and the first Weapon of Legacy thoughts and any suggestions for Legacy Weapon abilities.

{table=head]Exotic weapon|Cost|Dmg (S)|Dmg (M)|Critical|Range Increment|Weight 1
Light Melee Weapons||||||
____Dagger-fan|
30 gp|
d4|
d6|
x2|
-/20 ft.|
5 lb.

____Grip Gauntlet|
10 gp|
d2 2|
d3 2|
x2|
-|
1 lb.

Two-Handed Melee Weapons||||||
____Sword-fan|
150 gp|
2d4|
2d6|
x2|
-|
20 lb.

Grafted Weapons||||||
____Dragonsbreath|
1400 gp|
d8 3|
d8 3|
-|
-|
1 1/2 lb. 3
[/table]
1 Weights given are for a Medium version of the weapon. A Small version weighs half as much, a Large one twice as much, etc.
2 If your unarmed strike damage is larger than this value, use that value instead.
3 As a graft, the weight and damage done are independent on the size of the creature it is grafted onto.

EXOTIC WEAPON DESCRIPTIONS
The weapons in the table above are described here.
__Dagger-fan: Dagger-fans come in a variety of styles, ranging from those that resemble normal fans with razor sharp tips on the vanes to those that are essentially a series of thin daggers blades held together. In the first round of an encounter that you attack with a dagger-fan, you may make a Bluff check as a free action against a single opponent's Sense Motive check. If you win the check, that opponent is flat-footed against your dagger-fan attacks in that round. Additionally, most dagger-fans are designed with a hidden or dislodgeable blade. As a swift action, you may loosen this blade which you may afterwards make a single ranged attack with; treat it as a dart of one size larger than the dagger-fan. Otherwise, a dagger-fan deals slashing damage.
__Grip Gauntlet: A grip gauntlet looks similar to a standard gauntlet, but some sections are left open for greater flexibility and the palm and fingers and covered with small barbs for a better grip. A wearer who is proficient with the grip gauntlet gains a bonus on grapple checks and Climb checks equal to 2 plus the grip gauntlet's enhancement bonus. If he wields a weapon in the same hand he wears a grip gauntlet, he instead gains the bonus on rolls to avoid being disarmed of that weapon. A grip gauntlet deals bludgeoning damage.
Monks are proficient with grip gauntlets and they are considered a special monk weapon for the purpose of flurry of blows.
__Sword-fan: The sword-fan is a larger version of the dagger-fan and was used as both a weapon and as a way to signal information across the battlefield. Being larger and known as a military tool, it lacks the element of surprise of the dagger-fan. Its size and bulk provide other benefits, however. You can apply the first attack of a full attack you make with a sword-fan against two adjacent opponents and, as an immediate action, you can gain a shield bonus to your AC equal to the sword-fan's enhancement bonus against a single ranged attack roll. A sword-fan deals slashing damage.

GRAFTED WEAPONS
Grafted weapons follow slightly different rules than standard grafts, particularly in regards to their ability to be transferred to a new host. Specifically, a grafted weapon can be removed from a dead host and deals a number of points of Constitution damage equal to its effective enhancement bonus instead of 4d6 points. A grafted weapon can be considered either a melee or ranged weapon for the purpose of determining what special abilities can be added.
Dragonsbreath: The dragonsbreath grafted weapon grants the grafted creature a breath weapon that deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage in a 30 ft cone and is usable every d10 rounds. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + the bragonsbreath's effective enhancement bonus + your Con modifier) halves the damage. A dragonsbreath can be enhanced as a ranged weapon, but, since it does not require an attack roll, the effects are slightly different. A dragonsbreath does an additional d8 damage per level of enhancement and the wait between uses decreased by one die size for every two effective points of enhancement. Additionally, adding the Flaming, Frost, or Shock property to a dragonsbreath allows you to change all damage done by it to the specified type of damage. So, a +1 Flaming dragonsbreath could deal 2d8+d6 fire damage every d8 rounds and a +4 Frost Shock dragonsbreath could deal 5d8 + 2d6 cold or electricity damage every d4 rounds.

WEAPONS OF LEGACY
Some first thoughts. Would appreciate feedback and suggestions.
Marauder's Pick(s) (Circling Vulture) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11240000&postcount=11)
Tidebreaker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11346589&postcount=12) (Crashing Wave)
A shield, possibly able to change between a lighter shield and a tower shield. Effective at both defending and shield bashing. Probably have Wall of Iron as a spell-like ability.
Arms of Gath-Gath Uthalai (Giant's Grip) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10941368&postcount=7)
Hail of Arrows (Iron Rain)
Not really sure, other than that its a bow
Two-Faced Hammer (Life's Blood)
A light hammer that can deal very precise damage with one face and can heal with the other. The amount of healing probably tied to the amount of damage that its done.
Master's Voice (Master's Voice)
A dragonsbreath that gains the ability to do different element damage types, including sonic, and probably has some mind-affecting abilities. Considering developing some sort of Sublime Dragons or variation on the standard dragons that have maneuvers instead of spell-like abilities as part of the background of the Master's Voice discipline. This dragonsbreath would be a graft taken from the oldest and most powerful of them.
Rochiraith (Twin Spirit)
Not really sure; a lance, with the legacy founder most likely a centaur.
Fury (Wandering Eye)
A dagger-fan; the legacy founder is the illegitimate half-gnome daughter of the gnome general who founded the Wandering Eye discipline. Provided benefits to bluffing, probably some sneak attack. Some sort of solid fog/fog cloud spell-like ability fluffed as stirring up dust, etc, to make sneak attack easier.

DracoDei
2011-03-26, 10:36 AM
Dunno if this helps, but you might look up Cold Iron Dragons on this board, they are ToB based I think.

playswithfire
2011-03-26, 05:01 PM
Dunno if this helps, but you might look up Cold Iron Dragons on this board, they are ToB based I think.

Found it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137185). Thanks; that or something very much like it could definitely help flesh out the history of Master's Voice, though maybe with a Mithral Dragon for swordsage disciplines and an Adamantine Dragon for Crusader disciplines?

Elfstone
2011-04-16, 04:14 PM
Just saw this, and id like to say that everything looks good so far. I would suggest having the Hail of Arrows weapon be enchanted with speed to reflect the number of attacks and have it boost manouvers (like all of them) of the associated school. Both increasing damage and attack bonuses on attacks made with all or specific manouvers.

playswithfire
2011-04-17, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Speed is one of most likely enhancements for Hail of Arrows, yes.

I'm also considering adding quarterstaff to the Life's Blood list and making the weapon of legacy a quarterstaff vaguely reminiscent of the Rod of Asclepius (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Asclepius). I see it as two pieces of wood entwined, one normal wood with a leaf or a tree at its head and the other darkwood with a snake's head at its end. Tree end does the healing and snake end does the damage. I could see each end getting different enhancements: Merciful/Vicious, Holy/Unholy if it requires neutral alignment, etc.

Elfstone
2011-04-17, 05:16 PM
Interesting.. Un/Holy burst perhaps. I would suggest Elm or willow for the regular healing half. For the twin spirit dicipline I would say adding a force projected kite shield that adds an AC bonus to you and your mount. The ability for your mount to fly would also be nice and iconic.

playswithfire
2011-05-07, 07:43 AM
ARMS OF GATH-GATH UTHALAI (GIANT'S GRIP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183826#post10181180))
The Arms of Gath-Gath Uthalai are a pair of armbands made from a series of leather straps, held together with iron squares and decorated with various rough stones.
Nonlegacy Game Statistics: Brawlers's Armbands (see Brawler's Gauntlets, MiC 82); Cost 1,500 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Omen: Whenever you attack an adjacent enemy while wearing the arms of gath-gath uthalai, the armbands tighten, causing your arm muscles to flex and almost lose hold of any weapon you hold or your fist to tighten if you are unarmed.

HISTORY
At first glance, the arms of gath-gath uthalai appear to be inexpertly built, the leather somewhat ragged and the stones of inconsistent color, size and texture. The iron buckles show true craftsmanship, though they have received damage from combat, as may be expected. The leather was cut by Uthalai himself from a pair of gloves and scabbard worn by his eldest brother before his death in battle and fashioned into armbards by the tribe's tanner. The stones were added later, Uthalai gathering them two at a time from each new mountain the tribe settled on and thus almost form a map of the tribes travels on each arm. (DC 15)
Uthalai was born the third son of the cheiftan of a goliath tribe and, as such, was more often a means for his brothers to receive their combat training rather than a trainee himself. Though he learned well, it was difficult to appreciate it as his brothers drew greater attention. As such, Uthalai was chosen less often for hunting teams and instead learned the role of scribe, often documenting the goliath combat techniques. One day, a year after his brother's death, Uthalai became separated from his hunting party when the ground gave way beneath his foot and sent him sliding down a rock face, his spear snapping along the way. After determining his location and the way back to the tribe's camp, Uthalai began the long walk home, dreading having to explain his clumsiness. Halfway there, he heard a twig snap and turned to see a dire bear charging. Almost without thought, he turned and ducked the claws, fought his way behind the bear and forced an arm around its neck. Squeezing with all his might and punching with his other hand, Uthalai eventually defeated the beast and, slowly, carried it back to the camp, where the meat provided a great feast that night. (DC 18; Eat or be Eaten)
His defeat of the bear elevated Uthalai to new status; he was no longer his remaining brother's sparring partner, but was recognized as a skilled wrestler in his own right and quickly acknowldeged as a master. The discovery of his written descriptions of the combat forms, a surprise to the others, were borrowed by families with young children who could begin to study before they had the necessary skills to face off with an actual opponent, which was appreciated by all involved as it gave the children greater skills and Uthalai great pride as a teacher at second hand. His instinct to teach would ultimately be his downfall, however. A human who had climbed up the tribe's mountain and aided in a hunt was invited to remain for a week and he and Uthalai began learning the fighting styles of the other. When the human became involved in a dispute with another goliath and deemed in the right through nonlethal combat. The defeated goliath's father accused Uthalai of helping the human cheat so that his son could not challenge Uthalai for the cheiftanship in the future. The argument was persuasive and Uthalai received shunning as a punishment. Since the implied motive cost him the trust of those whose children he had taught, 24 hours after he was shunned, Uthalai left with the human. (DC 25; Silent Strength)
During their journey down the mountain and out into the world, Uthalai continued to both learn from and teach his human companion, though the human made the process somewhat more complicated. He insisted on names for the various attacks and stances, a concept Uthalai at first found silly, but accepted as ultimately useful. It was at this time that Uthalai gave a formal name to the martial discipline he had been raised with and now taught, Giant's Grip, an initially joking suggestion made by the human, but which Uthalai found suitable. The human, and later, his other students, wanted a title of respect to use for Uthalai and the human, who had learned a bit of Gol-Kaa, suggested Maula Gath ("defeat soundly"), which Uthalai was proud to be called. They wandered from town to town, assisting the villagers and practicing and teaching their new discipline, until they eventually founded a Giant's Grip school at the foot of a mountain range. Their school flourished and eventual produced other Maula Gaths, leading Uthalai to receive the title of Gath-Gath, which he retained while leading the school for many years, leaving only for his periodic sojourns into the mountains to prove to himself he could still survive.
On his 70th birthday, he set out for the mountains again, leaving the armbands with his two most skilled students, but did not return. As they believed he would have wanted, they had a match to determine which of them should claim the armbands and lead the.school. But neither could defeat the other and a school needs one master, so they agreed to leave and each found their own school, dividing the students between them. Before leaving, they sealed the doors to Uthalai's school with his armbands and went their separate ways. (DC 31; Trials of the Mountain)

LEGACY RITUALS
Three rituals are required to unlock all the abilities of the arms of gath-gath uthalai
Eat or be Eaten: You must defeat an animal at least one size category larger than you with a challenge rating at least equal to your character level in combat without the use of manufactured weapons and prepare it as a meal for yourself and your companions or a village in need. Cost: 2,500 gp. Feat Granted: Least Legacy (arms of gath-gath uthalai).
Silent Strength: You must act last in a combat against two or more opponents and defeat them using only nonlethal damage. Afterwards, you must meditate in silence for 24 hours. Cost: 13,000 gp. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy (arms of gath-gath uthalai).
Trials of the Mountains: You must travel through a mountain range for at most one week and defeat six creatures, each of a different species and each of CR no less than your character level -3. Cost: 41,000 gp. Feat Granted: Greater Legacy (arms of gath-gath uthalai).

WIELDER REQUIREMENTS
Monks and swordsage most often wield the arms of gath-gath uthalai, though other martial classes, particularly fighters, barbarians and psychic warriors, can qualify without too much difficulty.

ARMS OF GATH-GATH UTHALAI WIELDER REQUIREMENTS
Base attack bonus +3
Escape Artist 4 ranks
Improved Grapple

LEGACY ITEM ABILITIES
All the following are legacy item abilities of the arms of gath-gath uthalai.
Living Weapon (Ex): At 5th level, you gain Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat. Your unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but you can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty on the attack roll. You have the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling. Your unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.
Mighty Fist (Ex): When you attain 6th level, your unarmed strikes deal damage as if they were a size larger than your natural size. When grappling with your unarmed strikes, you may also consider yourself one size larger for the purposes of determining what size creatures you automatically fail to grapple. This also applies when determining whether you can use the improved grab special ability, but doe not grant the size bonu to your grapple modifier. This effective size bonus increases by one size category every four levels after 6th. This effect does not stack with other effects that increase your size or the size of your natural weapons.
Clever wrestling (Ex): Beginning at 7th level, you gain the benefits of the Clever Wrestling feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites.
Situational Awareness (Su): Beginning at 9th level, you gain a +2 dodge bonus to your AC against opponents you are not grappling while you are in a grapple and in a Giant's Grip stance. This bonus improves to +4 at 16th level.
Wrist Twist (Ex): At 12th level and higher, you can initiate the wrist lock maneuver up to three times per day as if you knew it. If you already know wrist lock, you instead always have the option to use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier when making a grapple check.
Attunement (Su): Beginning at 13th level, the bracers grant a bonus equal to half your character level, rounded down, instead of a +2 bonus and the effect lasts for seven rounds instead of one.
Tricky Fingers (Su): When you attain 17th level, you gain the ability to assume the touch the untouchable stance. If you already possess this class feature, your touch the untouchable stance grants you an additional bonus on your grapple checks equal to half your initiator level while in the touch the untouchable stance.
Grapple the Mountain (Su): When you unlock the final legacy power of the arms of gath-gath uthalai at 20th level, you gain the ability to grapple almost anything that moves. Once per day on command, your size increases by three size categories and you gain the corresponding +6 bonus to Strength, -6 bonus to Dexterity and -3 penalty on attack bonus and armor class.
{table=head]Wielder Level|Attack Penalty|Ref Save Penalty|Hit Point Loss|Legacy Abilities
5th| | |
2|Living Weapon
6th| |
-1| |Mighty Fist (+1 size)
7th|
-1| | |Clever Wrestling
8th| | |
2|--
9th| | | |Situational Awareness +2
10th| |
-2| |Mighty Fist (+2 sizes)
11th| | | |--
12th| | |
2|Wrist Twist
13th|
-2| | |Attunement
14th| |
-3| |Mighty Fist (+3 sizes)
15th| | |
2|--
16th| | | |Situational Awareness +4
17th| | |
2|Tricky Fingers
18th| |
-4| |Mighty Fist (+4 sizes)
19th| | | |--
20th| | |
2|Grapple the Mountain
[/table]

Elfstone
2011-05-07, 11:21 AM
I like it. Very well fluffed. I think that you should link the discipline associated with the class to make everything more readable and easier to understand.
1/8 weapons completed, I look forward to the rest.

Sereg
2011-05-08, 01:22 AM

Thanks for the plug.

Otherwise, I'm glad that you're doing this playswithfire. I enjoy your work with ToB.

playswithfire
2011-05-28, 08:13 PM
First pass at the mechanics of the Circling Vulture legacy weapon; feedback appreciated. Still working on the legacy, but the initial wielder will be the raptoran thief who founded the discipline.

EDIT: first pass removed since I posted the finished version

playswithfire
2011-06-19, 09:21 AM
MARAUDER'S PICKS (CIRCLING VULTURE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183826#post10181158))
The Marauder's Picks are a set of mithral sais, the shafts bent slightly, suggesting a claw and the longest containing irregular notches seemingly at random intervals.
Nonlegacy Game Statistics: +1 Mithral sai and masterwork mithral sai; Cost 3,002 gp; Weight 1 lb.
Omen: Certain notches glow when held up to a lock. The sais can be used as a set of thieves' tools and as a masterwork set once the wielder has access to the least legacy.

HISTORY
The mithral used to forge the marauder's picks is particularly bright, owing to the high altitude of the raptoran cliffs where it was mined and the sais are slightly curved, so at to evoke a claw or talons. The sais appear well-used, nicked in many places from the countless swords they have protected their wielder from. While this is true, certain nicks are deeper and were carefully carved by Ladrim Arisar, the raptoran master thief who found his weapon of choice to also be an inconspicuous way to carry the tools of his trade. Though increasing use has made it difficult, each subsequent wielder has kept the notches functional. (DC 15)
Ladrim Arisar was born to a life of service; his family has protected the flock as stormtalons for almost as long as the term had existed, a dozen generations including his father and older brother. From an early age, he was taught the particular combat style his father favored, which involved one or two sais and focused on reducing the threat of an enemy and forcing surrender, rather than killing them outright. That an enemy who was relieved of his weapon was much less likely to continue the fight was one of the first principles of combat his father imparted. Ladrim Arisar learned the lesson well and took it one step further. Where his father focused on the weapon the enemy had already drawn, Ladrim Arisar learned the places on the body one could conceal a weapon of last resort and would take them from an opponent before it could even be drawn. His father at first marveled at his son's ability and wished he retained the eyesight to do the same; Ladrim famously once encountered a pair of knife-throwing thieves, each of which carried half a dozen daggers, and left them weaponless before finally arresting them. (DC 18; Toothless Tiger)
The relationship between father and son began to deterioriate when Ladrim began to take money pouches and other items from the criminals he fought. This started when he took what he thought was a spell component pouch but was actually the thief's haul for the night. Ladrim found it an effective distraction and continued the tactic, either returning the stolen items or donating them to worthy causes. While he could not completely approve, Ladrim's father tolerated this behavior as it did, in the end, serve the greater good. Eventually, however, Ladrim began to think of himself and the other stormtalons as the worthiest use of the money he took and found others who agreed with him. They then began to take a more active role in relieving criminals of their loot and distributing it to "worthy" ends, raiding criminal hideouts. After a few years, Ladrim and his followers had effectively become the most effective criminal syndicate in the area, though they managed to avoid the law, as they were part of it. Eventually, however, Ladrim's father uncovered his son's workings and banished him from the flock with nothing more than he held at that moment. Ladrim survived the ordeal by hunting and theiving until he found himself on the outskirts of a human settlement. (DC 25; Hardy Scavenger)
Most of the human population regarded him with confusion, with a bit of fear and mistrust mixed in, which led him to continue his criminal ways and justify those negative impressions. The criminal element of the city, however, was much more welcoming, seeing an obvious benefit in a co-cospirator who could fly away from a crime beyond the reach of the local law. As one might expect from criminals, they wouldn't fully trust him either and he remained a low-level, but effective figure in the criminal world, his sais becoming something of a local legend which others tried to duplicate without great success. While it was not ideal, Ladrim enjoyed much of his new life until the equilibrium of his new enterprise was disrupted by a rivalry between two competing criminal syndicates, neither of which had recruited Ladrim. Their conflict escalated to outright violence which resulted in dead criminals and less profit for everyone involvved until the heads of the syndicates agreed to a trial by single combat to determine the city's new godfather.
Each syndicate put forth a champion who had a golden ring attached to the back of his armor. The man who relieved his opponent of the ring, whether the opponent was living or dead, claimed leadership for his syndicate. As a show of pride, and expecting no challengers, it was announced that the minor syndicates could participate, but their contender would wear two rings at his sides and lost if either ring was removed. All knew that any who challenged and lost would also face reprisals from the winner, so none entered, except Ladrim. With his speed, wings, and sais, he quickly removed both challengers rings and earned himself position as the head of the criminal world in the region. Til the day he died, unless he was working with them, he carried one sai and the other was attached to the head of his chair. Any who wished to challenge him need only pick up that sai and use it to take the other one from him. Some say his successors have continued the tradition to this day. (DC 31: Taking What's Owed)

LEGACY RITUALS
Three rituals are required to unlock all the abilities of the marauder's picks.
Toothless Tiger: You must, in a single encounter, disarm any number of opponents a total number of times equal to your character level. Cost: 2,500 gp. Feat Granted: Least Legacy (marauder's picks).
Hardy Scavenger: You must survive for one week without purchasing or borrowing any food, drink, or equipment. You must live only on what you can kill or steal from others. Cost: 16,500 gp. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy (marauder's picks).
Taking What's Owed: In one day, you must successfully steal an amount of gold or other precious items equal to 5000 gp times your character level. Cost: 45,000 gp. Feat Granted: Greater Legacy (marauder's picks).

WIELDER REQUIREMENTS
Rogues and mercenaries most often wield the marauder's picks, though soldiers, fighters, and even monks with larceny in their hearts have made fitting wielders in the past.

MARAUDER'S PICKS WIELDER REQUIREMENTS
Exotic Weapon Proficiency(sai)
Improved Disarm
Sleight of Hand 4 ranks
Open Lock or Disable Device 4 ranks

LEGACY ITEM ABILITIES
All the following are legacy item abilities of the marauder's picks.
Matched Set (Ex): At sixth level, you gain the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if you do not meet the prerequisites and additionally take only a -1 penalty when attacking with both marauder's picks instead of -2.
Balanced Hands (Ex): At eleventh level, you gain Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, even if you do not meet the prerequisites and no longer take any attack penalty when attacking with bothing.
Together (Ex): At eight level, you learn to make attacks with both the marauder's picks as if they were a single weapon. When doing so, treat the marauder's picks as a single two-handed weapon for the purposes of opposed disarm checks and the Power Attack feat.
Snatch and Grab (Su): Beginning at 9th level, each sai develops a small non-dimensional space, similar to a bag of holding. As an immediate action, when you disarm an opponent of a light or one-handed weapon or a held object of similar size, you may store that object in the non-dimensional space of the sai that made the disarm attack. Each sai can only hold one such item at a time. You may empty the non-dimensional space as a move action.
At eighteenth level, you may store two such objects in each sai, or a two-handed weapon instead.
Swordcatcher (Ex): At thirteenth level, you gain the ability to assume the Distracting Blade stance. If you already possess this class feature, you instead gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC while wielding the marauder's picks.
Talons of Steel (Ex): At sixteenth level, you gain Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, even if you do not meet the prerequisites and add your full Strength bonus to damage rolls made with the sai you use to make secondary attacks.
Lockpick (Ex): At seventeeth level, you gain a bonus on Open Lock checks equal to your initiator level, in addition to the standard bonus for the marauder's picks working as masterwork thieves' tools.
{table=head]Character Level|Attack Penalty|Hit Point Loss|Skill Point Loss|Legacy Abilities
5th| | | |+1 mithral sais
6th|
-1| | |Matched set
7th| | |
3|--
8th| |
2| |Together
9th| | | |Snatch and grab (one-handed)
10th| | |
3|+2 mithral sais
11th|
-2| | |Balanced hand
12th| | |
3|--
13th| |
2| |Swordcatcher
14th| |
2| |--
15th| | |
3|+3 mithral sais
16th|
-3| | |Talons of metal
17th| | |
3|Lockpick
18th| | | |Snatch and grab (two-handed)
19th| |
2| |--
20th| | |
3|+4 mithral sais
[/table]

playswithfire
2011-07-04, 04:17 PM
TIDEBREAKER (CRASHING WAVE)
The tidebreaker is a heavy steel kite shield which depicts a large wave crashing against a rock wall. On the back, it is inscribed with words in the darfellan language which translate roughly to "This far, and no further!"
Nonlegacy Game Statistics: +1 Heavy Shield; Cost: 1,020 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Omen: tidebreaker is constantly cold to the touch and deals a point of cold damage on each successful hit.

HISTORY
Lawaieiau was once a vast city, the pride of the once great darfellan empire and the unoffical capitol of the Manolele tribe. As such, it was one of the first cities targeted by the sahuagin when they began their war of aggression, for both the economic and psychological impact its defeat would have. Catching the city occupants unawares, the assault pentrated deep into the city, laying waste to, among many other structures, a large metal statue honoring the Whale Mother which stood in the plaza at the city center. Soon after, the darfellan counterattack repelled the invasion, though at great cost of life to both sides. The ruined statue was melted down and forged into a number of weapons and a kite shield which the forger dubbed Tidebreaker. (DC 15)
Tidebreaker was given to the eldest son of the clan's leader, along with the latter's sword and the mission to protect the darfellan people. A week later, as repair efforts were still underway, the sahuagins returned to the walls of Lawaieiau. This time, however, the darfellans, led by the shield-bearer, were prepared for them. Though the sahuagin were many and parts of the walls had crumbled, those that remained were strong and the attack was, after many hours repelled. For a month, the pattern repeated; an attack followed by a week of rebuilding and each time the sahuagin grew fiercer, yet each time, their attack was halted at the city walls. On the day of the sixth attack, the shield-bearer called out to the four-armed leader of the sahuagin and challenged him to spare the lives of those who followed them and face him in single combat. The victor would win control of the city for no less than one year. The sahuagin laughed and accepted, drawing two spears and two swords as the shield-bearer approached. As soon as the shield-bearer came in range, the sahuagin charged forward, attacking with all his weapons. With speed and grace, the shield-bearer caught all the attacks with tidebreaker and then knocked the sahuagin back with a blow to the stomach. Eventually, the sahuagin doubled over in pain and the shield-bearer knocked him to the ground and claimed victory. (DC 18; The Best Offense)
Though the sahuagin army let out cries of protest, their leader held to his word and they withdrew and did not return to Lawaieiau the next week or the week after. Considering the city to be safe, at least for the time being, the shield-bearer set out to find where he could do the most good to defend his people, as this single defeat did not, of course, stop the darfellan offensive. The tale of the shield and its bearer's protection of Lawaieiau spread throughou both sides of the conflict, inspiring hope among the darfellans and fear among the sahuagin. The shield-bearer traveled from coastal town to coastal town, rallying their defenses with his cry of "This far! No Further!" While occasionally forced to withdraw, the shield helped beat back several attacks that would have otherwise laid waste to the villages. After months of fighting holding actions, the shield-bearer managed to launch a counter-offensive, driving a large sahuagin force back to the sea and, wading into the waters himself, back to the deeps from which they emerged. (DC 25; Beat Back the Tide)
The victory, while sweet, came at a great cost; it occurred one year and one day after the shield-bearer secured the safety of Lawaieiau; the darfellans had lost track of the days, but the sahuagin had not. Caught once again unawares, the city was razed to the ground, though the sahuagins paid their own heavy price for the victory. This second and more complete loss of Lawaieiau is, most agree, when the spirit of the darfellan defense was broken. One of their greatest cities and the memory of one of their great victories disappeared in one fell swoop. Though they fought back fiercely, the tides of war soon turned the darfellan strategy from trying to repulse the attackers to trying to evacuate their noncombatants and limit their losses. The shield and its bearer fought many holding actions and saved countless lives, but his carelessness took the heart out of his struggle, even as his rage at the loss of the city gave him new reason to fight.
As one might expect, the shield-bearer began taking greater risks with his own life to achieve victory and protect others. This led to his second most famous battle in which he and the half dozen soldiers who would not obey his order to escort the fleeing villagers, held off a horde of sahuagin at a narrow canyon pass. Slowly walking back to the narrowest part of the canyon, they forced the sahuagin to fight in narrower spaces and cut them down one by one. The shield bearer put himself between each enemy sword and his men until he could barely stand, then called for the others to move back and began bringing down the canyon walls. The rockslide crushed the advancing sahuagin but also the shield-bearer, whose last act was to toss the shield and charge him with taking up the defense of their people. Since then, tidebreaker has been protected by the darfellans to be eventually given to the Deep Dweller and only taken out in case on dire need. (DC 31; Erosion)

LEGACY RITUALS
Three rituals are required to unlock all the abilities of the tidebreaker.
The Best Offense: You must defeat an opponent of a CR at least equal to your class level in an encounter during which the only attacks you make against it are shield bashes and bull rushes. Cost: 2,000 gp. Feat Granted: Least Legacy (tidebreaker).
Beat Back the Tide: You must defeat a level appropriate encounter consisting of at least two opponents without setting foot on dry land. You may stand in water or on coastal areas saturated with water but no other solid ground. You may fly, but only under your own power, or be aboard a ship. Cost: 14,000 gp. Feat Granted: Lesser Legacy (tidebreaker).
Erosion: You must defend an enclosed position (canyon, hallway, city gate) and defeat the attacking force in an encounter which reduces you to less than one third of your total hit points. Cost: 40,000 gp. Feat Granted: Greater Legacy (tidebreaker).

WIELDER REQUIREMENTS
Soldiers and fighters are the most common wielders, but tidebreaker would be an asset to any character that prefers to fight in the "sword and board" style.

TIDEBREAKER WIELDER REQUIREMENTS
Base attack bonus +5
Swim 8 ranks
Shield Proficiency
Improved Bull Rush

LEGACY ITEM ABILITIES
All the following are legacy item abilities of the tidebreaker.
Hammer and Nail (Ex): At fifth level, you gain the Improved Shield Bash feat and can make an attack with an offhand weapon after a successful shield bash using tidebreaker as your primary weapon or after a bull rush in which you move with the opponent. You take a -1 penalty on the attack if the weapon is a light weapon or a -2 penalty if it is a one-handed weapon.
Energy Push (Psi): Beginning at eighth level you can call forth the power of the ocean to repel your foe. You can use energy push at will as the power (cold only) with a Constitution-based DC. Manifester level: 1/2 your HD.
Fluid Defense (Ex): At tenth level, tidebreaker has become almost a part of your body. You ignore its Armor Check Penalty and add its AC bonus to your touch AC.
Rising Tide (Ex): At 12th level and above, you can use the geyser force maneuver three times per day as if you knew it. If you already know geyser force, any opponent you successfully bull rush as part of a charge must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 13 + your CON modifier) or be knocked prone.
Undertow (Ex): Once per round, you can bull rush an opponent that you make a successful shield bash attempt against. You may, but do not have to, move with the opponent.
Wall of Ice (Sp): Beginning at 16th level. three times a day as a spell-like ability, you can use wall of ice as the spell. The DC is 14+ your CON midifier. Caster level 12th.
Find the Cracks (Sp): When you unlock the final ability of tidebreaker, you learn that, when all else fails, you exploit the water that exists within, or can find its way into, nearly everything. Once per day, you can use earthquake as the spell. Caster level 20th.
{table=head]Wielder Level|Attack Penalty|Reflex Save Penalty|Hit Point Loss|Legacy Abilities
5th| |
-1| |Hammer and Nail
6th| | |
2|+1 bashing heavy shield
7th| | | |--
8th| | |
2|Energy Push
9th|
-1| | |+2 bashing heavy shield (+2 weapon)
10th| |
-2| |Fluid Defense
11th| | | |--
12th| | |
2|Rising Tide
13th| | | |--
14th| | |
2|+3 bashing heavy shield (+3 weapon)
15th| |
-3| |Undertow
16th| | | |Wall of ice
17th| | |
2|--
18th|
-2| | |+4 bashing heavy shield (+4 weapon)
19th| | |
2|--
20th| |
-4| |Find the Cracks
[/table]

playswithfire
2011-07-12, 11:52 PM
ALTERNATE PENALTIES FOR THE NINE SWORDS
While most people like the abilities granted by the nine swords presented in Tome of Battle, many feel that the penalties that they, and most weapons of legacy which are actually designed to be weapons, impose are both unpleasant and counter-intuitive. A weapon that generally makes it harder for you to hit things just doesn't feel right. The below are possible alternative penalties which completely replace those in Tome of Battle.

DESERT WIND (DESERT WIND)
At 6th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th, 17th, 19th and 20th level, the wielder of Desert Wind loses two hit points.
At 8th level, cold effects deal an extra 25% damage to the wielder.
At 13th level, cold effects deal an extra 50% damage to the wielder, but fire effects do 25% less.
At 18th level, cold effects deal double damage to the wielder, but fire effects deal only half damage.
Why: The desert wind discipline is built around, fundamentally, fire and speed. It makes sense, then, that an adept skilled in this discipline would become more attuned to fire, thus more resistant to it and more vulnerable to its opposite, cold. The hit point loss works out to the same that one would incur if one took the Quick (http://dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Character_Traits#Quick) trait and thus represents the lighter build of a warrior whose discipline emphasizes speed and/or the increased metabolism one could expect of a fire-wielder, the sacrificing of self to generate that fire.
Compared to the original: Loses 8 more hit points, but no attack penalty or Fort save penalty. Very vulnerable to cold, but this can be countered with the appropriate items. Not sure if the reduced damage from fire is necessary, but it seemed right at the time. Can be cut easily enough.

FAITHFUL AVENGER (DEVOTED SPIRIT)
At 6th level, the wielder of Faithful Avenger takes a -1 penalty on attack rolls and this penalty increases by 1 at 12th and 18th level.
At 8th level, the wielder takes a -1 penalty on all skill checks made outside of combat other than Diplomacy, Heal, and Intimidate and this penalty increases by 1 at 10th, 14th, 16th, and 20th level.
Why: Faithful Avenger is the one sword where attack penalties actually make some sense, since they're offset by faithful strike. With the current levels, you will always take that penalty when attacking an enemy not diametrically opposed to either alignment component, no penalty when attacking one that opposes at least one, and gains a bonus equal to the penalty when attacking one that opposes both. The skill checks are meant to force the character to focus on promoting his cause either in combat or through persuasion.
Compared to the original: An extra -1 penalty to attack, but no Fort save penalty and no lost HP. In exchange, skill penalties outside combat which should not cause much trouble.

SUPERNAL CLARITY (DIAMOND MIND)
Unlike other characters, the wielder of Supernal Clarity gains his second iterative when his base attack bonus reaches +7, his third when it reaches +13 and his fourth when it reaches +19.
At 7th level, the wielder takes a -1 penalty to Armor Class against attacks made by all opponents except the one he attacked first on his last action. This penalty increases to -2 at 13th level.
Why: Diamond Mind is devoted to focus and many of it's maneuvers are designed to be devestating single attacks. As such, the weapon makes the wielder less likely to make multiple attacks. Additionally, he suffers the downside of focusing on a single goal, a lesser degree of attention paid to other threats; essentially the negative aspects of Stance of Clarity.
Compared to the original: Attack 'penalties' such as they are only apply on iterative attacks, which may or may not be relevant if one focuses on strikes. AC penalty instead of a Fort save penalty and loss of 12 HP.

KAMATE (IRON HEART)
At 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th, 13th, 15th, 17th, and 19th level, the wielder of Kamate loses two skills points.
At 6th level, the wielder takes a -1 penalty on all Charisma-based skill checks and Sense Motive checks. These penalties increase by 1 at 10th, 14th, and 18th level.
Why: Iron Heart is focused on perfection in athleticism and combat. This leaves the wielder unable to master social skills. Both the check penalties and the skill point loss, which forces him to choose his skills carefully, reinforce this.
Compared to the original: Overall, much lighter penalties; only skill check penalties instead attack penalty and penalty to all saves and loses skill points instead of hit points. On the other hand, the sword's abilities aren't the most overwhelming, so lighter penalties may be called for. And I suppose the new penalties are problematic enough unless you have a good reason to have a high INT.

EVENTIDE'S EDGE (SETTING SUN)
At 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, the wielder of Eventide's Edge loses two hit points.
At 8th level, the wielder takes a -2 penalty to Strength and this penalty increases to 4 at 18th level.
At 13th level, the wielder no longer adds his Strength bonus, if positive, to melee damage rolls. He stills adds it if it is negative.
Why: Setting Sun is about cleverness, dexterity, and redirecting force rather than initiating it. So, a sword which forces you to focus on dexterity seems appropriate.
Compared to the original: Fewer hit points lost and, assuming the wielder has Weapon Finesse, less attack penalty; a Strength-based wielder faces basically the same amount of difficulty. Lose strength to damage rolls (probably not very high) instead of a Fort save penalty.

UMBRAL AWN (SHADOW HAND)
At 5th level, the wielder of Umbral Awn becomes light sensitive, becoming dazzled in direct sunlight or within the radius of the daylight spell. At 13th level, the condition becomes more severe and he becomes sickened instead of dazzled under the same conditions.
At 9th level, the wielder takes a -1 penalty to AC against all opponents who can see him and from whom he has no concealment, including those who can see him only due to see invisibility or similar effects. The penalty increases to -2 at 17th level.
Why: Shadow Hand is about not being seen, about striking from the shadows or otherwise taking your opponent by surprise. So, the blade punishes you for being out in the open and letting your enemies know where you are.
Compared to the original: Apart from the hit point loss, which no longer exists, it has the potential to be almost as debilitating, but only if you cannot manage to stay out of direct sunlight or otherwise avoid being dazzled by the sun (need some sun lenses from Sandstorm, perhaps?).

UNFETTERED (STONE DRAGON)
At 5th level, the wielder of Unfettered has a -1 penalty on Reflex saves and on Climb, Jump, Ride, Swim, and Tumble checks. These penalties increase by 1 at 9th, 13th, and 17th level.
At 6th level, the wielder's base land speed is reduced by 5 ft and all other movement speeds (fly, swim, and climb) are reduced by 10 ft. At 12th level, these penalties are increased to 10ft and 20ft. The other movement speeds are reduced by the lesser penalties when they involve the earth e.g. climbing a mountain or swimming through lava; his fly speed always suffers the greater penalty.
Why: Stone dragon is about not moving and making powerful attacks, some of which also grant the ability to withstand the attacks that are going to hit you if you stand still. It also ofter requires the adept to remain on the ground. So the speed penalties and skill checks are meant to simulate a character who becomes heavier (thus slower) and more in touch with the earth (penalties for modes of movement and skills that involve not touching the ground).
Compared to the original: The penalties on attack rolls and hit point loss have been replaced by speed penalties and penalties on 5 skill checks.

TIGER FANG (TIGER CLAW)
At 6th level, the wielder of Tiger Fang takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class which does not stack with the penalty for charging. At 14th level, the penalty increases to -3 and the wielder can, at the beginning of an encounter, take an additional penalty up to his Dexterity modifier and gain a bonus on his initiative check equal to that additional penalty. The additional armor class penalty lasts until the end of the encounter.
Beginning at 10th level, the wielder takes 2 points of nonlethal damage at the end of each round in which he does not confirm a critical hit. At 18th level, the damage taken becomes 1d6 instead.
Why: Tiger Claw is about bloodlust and leaping into battle, anxious to draw blood and unconcerned, to some degree, with your own survival as long as your enemies fall first.
Compared to the original: Penalizes your AC instead of your Fort save and conditionally deals nonlethal damage instead reducing hit points. But, no penalties to attacks, since that's antithetical to Tiger Claw.

BLADE OF THE LAST CITADEL (WHITE RAVEN)
Beginning at 6th level, the wielder of the Blade of the Last Citadel must, at the beginning of every encounter, choose an ally to be under their protection. For the duration of the encounter, the wielder takes one quarter of all damage dealt to that ally and the ally takes the remainder. At twelfth level, he takes half of that ally's damage instead. At 18th level, you take all of the damage dealt by the first attack against that ally.
At 8th level, the wielder takes a -1 penalty on all his saves, but grants his allies a +1 bonus on all of their saves. At 16th level, the penalty and bonus increase by 1.
Why: White raven is about supporting and, if necessary, sacrificing yourself for, your allies.
Compared to the original: You still take the Save penalty, but it now boosts your allies. No attack penalty or hit point loss, but you'll likely be hurt more in combat unless you effectively protect your ally (probably a caster).

elliott20
2011-07-13, 04:13 AM
The new Unfettered penalty would make it hard to use some of the Stone Dragon maneuvers that are based around charging. i.e. charging minotaur.

I'm not sure what kind of compromise would work here. Maybe some kind of penalty where the only time you don't get a penalty is if you're doing a full charge?

playswithfire
2011-07-13, 06:15 AM
The new Unfettered penalty would make it hard to use some of the Stone Dragon maneuvers that are based around charging. i.e. charging minotaur.

I'm not sure what kind of compromise would work here. Maybe some kind of penalty where the only time you don't get a penalty is if you're doing a full charge?

If you get yourself a pair of boots of striding and springing, your speed is back to your normal base speed. I admit it reduces the range of your charge compared to other characters with the same option, but no worse (usually less bad unless you're a dwarf) than taking the Slow (http://dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Character_Traits#Slow) trait. If that speed penalty is a reasonable cost to gain 20 hit points, I don't think it's an unreasonable cost to gain the benefits of unfettered. Now, it does make it much harder to charge in the air or on water, but stone dragon maneuvers don't work there anyway.

DracoDei
2011-07-13, 12:09 PM
Recommend using the same classifications of surfaces you use to reduce the speed penalty to negate the climb check penalty... if you want to get really detailed you could say that the swim penalty doesn't apply to swimming through lava. That last because fire immunity isn't THAT hard to get, at least temporarily, at high levels. Flame's Blessing stance if nothing else.

playswithfire
2011-07-14, 08:30 PM
Recommend using the same classifications of surfaces you use to reduce the speed penalty to negate the climb check penalty... if you want to get really detailed you could say that the swim penalty doesn't apply to swimming through lava. That last because fire immunity isn't THAT hard to get, at least temporarily, at high levels. Flame's Blessing stance if nothing else.Good point.
Updated that section and added Supernal Clarity and Kamate; would have added Eventide's Edge, but debating what, if anything to stick on it besides a strength penalty. Could just add skill/hit point penalties, but that's not thematic. Maybe he becomes non-proficienct with all weapons except light and finessable weapons and can not regain those proficiencies by multiclassing, but can do so through feats.

In any event, two new and one updated swords. Work continues.

elliott20
2011-07-14, 09:24 PM
eventide's edge could be reinforcing the notion that you don't need strength or brawn to do well in combat. So all of it's penalties can be towards making direct aggression more difficult.

So when the character is making a non-setting sun maneuver, non-defensive attack, they suffer penalties to hit.

playswithfire
2011-07-26, 10:28 PM
Other than the prerequisites requiring the knowledge of one Setting Sun maneuver, the wielder won't necessarily know many of them, so I'd rather not make it dependent on using them. Removed their STR bonus on melee damage rolls and took some HP.

Also added Umbral Awn (and added the history for Tidebreaker).

Work continues on revised nine swords and begins on Hail of Arrows.

playswithfire
2011-08-06, 10:34 AM
Added Tiger Claw and Blade of the Last Citadel, completing the original nine.

Brainstorming Hail of Arrows. I'm seeing it as the weapon that would let an archer with a good vantage point control the battlefield below, spotting and hampering their allies and giving their allies the advantage.

So, something like see invisibility, probably with a lesser version that scales up to that.
Full Quiver Stance, so it never runs out of arrows.
Maybe a sort of cover fire ability where allies' movement wouldn't provoke attacks of opportunity from enemies that were hit (or possibly just attacked) by the wielder.
The Speed enhancement, since it's the school of saturation archery.

Epsilon Rose
2011-08-06, 06:15 PM

Found it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137185). Thanks; that or something very much like it could definitely help flesh out the history of Master's Voice, though maybe with a Mithral Dragon for swordsage disciplines and an Adamantine Dragon for Crusader disciplines?

It might no-longer be relevant, but are also the Enyo dragons that got created in the 30+ dragons thread. Their entire schtick is that they're bipedal true dragons that use arms and maneuvers instead of natural weapons and magic.

NineThePuma
2011-08-06, 08:13 PM
IIRC, the Tiger Claw kukri was named 'Tiger Fang' =\

FYI.

playswithfire
2011-08-07, 06:51 AM
IIRC, the Tiger Claw kukri was named 'Tiger Fang' =\

FYI.Quite right. Thanks.

It might no-longer be relevant, but are also the Enyo dragons that got created in the 30+ dragons thread. Their entire schtick is that they're bipedal true dragons that use arms and maneuvers instead of natural weapons and magic.
I like it. Since they're always chaotic neutral or chaotic evil, it would be hard to cast them in the benevolent teacher's role, but it could be that a group of humans/dragonborns overthrew an Enyo dragon and crafted the Master's Voice dragonsbreath from his corpse. Thanks for pointing them out.

jguy
2011-08-07, 10:22 AM
Very cool, Tidebreaker is my favorite. Your table on Tidebreaker is missing a column to show what levels you gain abilities. The Wall of Ice (su) ability has no description next to it, nor what level you get it at, and it is not bolded.

playswithfire
2011-08-07, 03:23 PM
Very cool, Tidebreaker is my favorite. Your table on Tidebreaker is missing a column to show what levels you gain abilities. The Wall of Ice (su) ability has no description next to it, nor what level you get it at, and it is not bolded.
Fixed. Glad you like it.

super dark33
2011-08-07, 05:36 PM
i dont understand the grafted weapons.

you say they are like grafts. what are grafts?

Volthawk
2011-08-07, 06:40 PM

you say they are like grafts. what are grafts?

Grafts are scattered among 3.5 books. Lords of Madness, Fiend Folio, Races of the Dragon, Libris Mortis and Magic of Eberron are books that come to mind with grafts in them.

Epsilon Rose
2011-08-08, 12:44 AM
I like it. Since they're always chaotic neutral or chaotic evil, it would be hard to cast them in the benevolent teacher's role, but it could be that a group of humans/dragonborns overthrew an Enyo dragon and crafted the Master's Voice dragonsbreath from his corpse. Thanks for pointing them out.

I've never really cared much for listed alignments. Espesially when they get in the way of the story. I could easily see one of them geting cast as a grizzled chaotic-neutral mercenary.

playswithfire
2011-08-08, 09:15 PM

you say they are like grafts. what are grafts?For more information, wizards has a description of some of the grafts here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060106a&page=5). Those are draconic, there are also undead and warforged grafts, I believe. Basically, something you take from a creature and weld to your body to grant a benefit or gain a new ability.

I've never really cared much for listed alignments. Espesially when they get in the way of the story. I could easily see one of them geting cast as a grizzled chaotic-neutral mercenary. That's another way to go and would make for an interesting NPC. I think, for the legacy weapon story, though, I'll go with the tyrant Enyo dragon and the somewhat more benevolent but still warlike minions that overthrew it. Explains both the buffing and debuffing powers of the discipline.

playswithfire
2011-08-18, 03:41 PM
Crunch only for Hail of Arrows; it's a little more unfinished than usual for a first draft since I'd like more feedback on this one as Iron Rain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8103297&postcount=1) isn't my discipline.

HAIL OF ARROWS (IRON RAIN (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8103297&postcount=1))
The hail of arrows is a darkwood shortbow with an adamantine grip; Cost 2,500 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Omen: When in combat, at the beginning of each round, the hail of arrows whispers to its wielder, in Halfling, the number of enemies within 60 ft.

HISTORY

LEGACY RITUALS

WIELDER REQUIREMENTS
Huntsmen, Rangers and scouts most often wield the hail of arrows, though any class proficient with bows will find it one of the best weapons they could wield.

HAIL OF ARROWS WIELDER REQUIREMENTS
Base attack bonus +3
Spot 8 ranks
Precise Shot or Rapid Shot

LEGACY ITEM ABILITIES
Flanking shot: At sixth level, you can use the Flanking Shot maneuver 4 times per day as if you knew it. If you already know that maneuver, then whenever you make a single successful ranged attack in a round, the target is considered flanked until the start of your next turn
See invisiblity: At 8th level, you can use see invisibility as a spell-like ability three times a day. Caster level: 6th.
Adept Sniper: At ninth level, you take only a -10 penalty on hide checks to hide again after sniping instead of the normal 20.
Full Quiver: At tenth level, you gan learn the Full Quiver stance.
Hide in Plain Sight: At 13th level and above, you can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even while being observed.
Covering Fire: At 14th level, you can use the Convering Fire maneuver 3 times a day as if you knew it. If you already know the maneuver, you can alter the maneuver when using it to affect a cone of length equal to half your range increment instead of its usual line. If you do so, affected creatures are hit with two arrows instead of three.
True Seeing: At 16th level, you can use true seeing three times a day. Caster level: 10th.
Supreme Efficiency: At 18th level, you learn the Supreme Efficiency stance. If you already know that stance, the decrease between your iterative attacks with the hail of arrows is reduced to 4 instead of 5.
Capstone: At 20th level, if you start the turn hidden at least 10 ft from your enemies you can move up to your speed while making your full attack and hide at the end, still taking the -10 penalty to hide after sniping
{table=head]Wielder Level|Attack Penalty|Will Save Penalty|Hit Point Loss|Legacy Abilities

5th| | |
2|+1 Iron Rain shortbow

6th|
-1| | |Flanking Shot

7th| | | |--

8th| |
-1| |See invisibility

9th| | |
2|Adept Sniper

10th| | |
2|Full Quiver

11th| | | |--