PDA

View Full Version : so, my dog...

thubby
2011-03-26, 10:53 AM
is gone

this morning, she was having some stiffness and was breathing heavily. thinking it was just her arthritis acting up, i went to class. upon returning home, she hadn't eaten, or even moved from the same spot from an hour ago.
our family contacted the vet and rushed her there as quickly as we were able.

it was found she had a spleen tumor, and that it had ruptured. given her age it was unrepairable. as she could only go on suffering, she was put down at 11:30 at the age of 11.

she went peacefully, old, and surrounded by those who loved her.

even now, i miss her laying at the side of my chair. :smallfrown:

Lolzords
2011-03-26, 11:26 AM
At least she went peacefully. My condolences.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-03-26, 11:31 AM
Losing a pet sucks. I'm so sorry. :smallfrown:

My dog's only four (which is middle aged for her breed) and that depresses me.

MonkeyBusiness
2011-03-26, 11:36 AM
Aw, Thubby, I'm so sorry. The really hard part about losing a pet is that our pets tend to the the best (most sympathetic, least judgemental, always available) sources of comfort. When we lose them, we need them more than ever. At least, that's how it was for me, when my dog died.

But anyone who dies gently with loved ones nearby is, in one sense, fortunate.

You are a good puppy-daddy.

-Monkey

Mauve Shirt
2011-03-26, 12:28 PM
Losing a pet is horrible. :smallfrown: My condolences.

Perenelle
2011-03-26, 12:31 PM
I'm so sorry Thubby. :smallfrown: *hugs tight* I'm sure she lived a very happy doggy-life with you.

Lycan 01
2011-03-26, 12:51 PM
I'm so sorry... :smallfrown:

LOTRfan
2011-03-26, 12:54 PM
My condolences. :smallfrown:

factotum
2011-03-26, 03:00 PM
11 seems awful young for a dog, but I guess it depends on the breed. Been in the situation of having to have a family pet put down, and it really sucks...condolences.

Asthix
2011-03-26, 03:17 PM
I lost my first pet three years ago to feline diabetes and it was very hard. I didn't know until it was too late, but I still spent a lot of money (a lot) trying to keep him alive since they told me there was a slim chance he could recover and only need insulin shots twice a day for the rest of his life.

As hard as it can be, if the vet tells you there's not much chance I think the best options are to take them home and spend as much time as possible with them as possible. That seems to be a lesson one can only learn from experience however.

Don't worry Thubby, it gets better.

Orzel
2011-03-26, 05:14 PM
Orzel offers his condolences. Orzel knows the sadness of of losing a pet. :smallfrown:

Ranger Mattos
2011-03-26, 06:27 PM
I'm so sorry, Thubby. :smallfrown: It always hurts to lose a pet.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-03-26, 06:33 PM
I've had a bizzilion of my pets die and I know that the best thing to do is to think about how they were old and lived a good life.

Elm11
2011-03-26, 09:49 PM
My condolences. I've lost both my dogs in the past three months, one of them at only six due to poisoning. It's tragic how quickly these things happen. When my younger dog died two weeks ago, it was scary to think it'd only been a few, horrible days since everything was fine.
:smallfrown: Hugz.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-26, 11:14 PM
Oh, I'm sorry.:smallfrown:

TechnoScrabble
2011-03-26, 11:16 PM
As someone who does animal rescue and often has to put down dogs they've struggled to find another loving home for for the past twelve years, I understand your pain.:smallfrown:

Need an e-Hug?

Soilborn
2011-03-27, 02:47 AM
That's terrible. I've been there myself several times, first with a cat, then another cat, and recently a bird. The shock was new each time, and it always sucks especially when you've had that particular animal's companionship for over a decade.

I'm not even asking if you want an e-Hug. You're getting one anyway.

thubby
2011-03-27, 03:51 AM
thanks everyone.

the worst part is that i keep thinking about her in little ways. like i go out of my room and look to make sure im not gonna trip over her. or checking her food before i leave the house.

11 seems awful young for a dog

she was a shepherd/retriever mix. 11 is about average for either breed so the mutt would be in that area.

take them home and spend as much time as possible with them as possible.

i would generally agree. but her natural death would have been a far more horrible, painful mess.

ZombyWoof
2011-03-27, 05:14 AM
At least she went peacefully.

This so much.

Losing a puppy (because dogs never truly grow up, any dog owner knows this) is one of the hardest things to go through. They're loyal, they're sweet, and they're our best friends from the moment we pat their head to the moment we say goodbye.

Just remember that she loved you, deeply, until she passed.

@Asthix, I watched my puppy die and it was the worst thing I could ever have gone through. I still kick myself daily for making her suffer through that last twelve hours, unable to get up and walk around, unable to control her bowels, looking at us in fear and pain because she thought she was in trouble (since she couldn't control her bowels).

She crawled halfway from where we put her to my room, wanting to spend her last moments with me.

If it's any consolation, op, I firmly believe you did the right thing.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-27, 05:22 AM
You have loved and been loved in return, is there no greater joy? Now they are gone into the past, where memory dwells. Is there no greater sorrow?
You have my condolences, this pain does not pass easily.

Asheram
2011-03-27, 06:52 AM
I feel your pain, friend. I have as well lost both a dog and a cat before their time, and it hurts...

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-27, 04:17 PM
I offer my condolences, I know how hard is loosing a Dog to sickness, (my first dog who was my six year birthday also had to be put down due cancer... I still miss here even after three years)

But at least you know he had a good and long life, at least you could be with her in the last hours. As you said she died surrounded by her loved ones; not everyone gets the chance.

aart lover
2011-03-27, 04:23 PM
dude...i'm really sorry to hear that:smallfrown:. i've been there. i guess that's just how it goes, y'know? you raise a dog for 9 years and then suddenly they're gone. it comes to the point where they are considered a genuine member of the family, loved and appreciated. but you've got my condolences, and the support of the playground.

Pika...
2011-03-29, 11:22 AM
She must have been so alone/in pain when you left her. :smallfrown:

I still think of my little brother with four paws every day, and am tearing up just now, who died in 07. I want him back so much!!! It hurts doesn't it.

Bhu
2011-03-29, 03:17 PM
hugs from kitteh

thubby
2011-03-29, 05:06 PM
She must have been so alone/in pain when you left her. :smallfrown:

she actually parked herself outside my room which is sort of bittersweet, but my mom ended up noticing her condition. so she was never really alone.

Silviya
2011-03-30, 02:20 AM
I'm so sorry thubby, that's terrible. :smallfrown:

Losing pets is so hard. They become part of the family, and they become our best friends. They're always there when you need comfort. I've lost several animals, and those times were probably some the hardest times in my life. Eventually it'll stop hurting so much, and you'll be able to look back on the mememories of your dog with happiness, and you'll think of all the fun times you had, with only a bit of sadness. You'll still cry from time to time for years to come, but it won't be nearly as hard.