PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make Adamantine white?

Sims
2011-03-26, 11:27 AM
Would I have to use Wish, or limited Wish to turn a bunch of adamantine white instead of black?

LOTRfan
2011-03-26, 11:31 AM
Prestidigation?

Sims
2011-03-26, 11:34 AM
Prestidigation?

But that only lasts an hour right? I need to make it permanent. Would premanency work? Thinking of it now, I don't think my DM would care all that much.

Swooper
2011-03-26, 11:37 AM
Is adamantine even described as black in the RAW? :smallconfused: I mean, I picture it metallic black myself for some reason, but I don't think its appearance is ever described.

RandomLunatic
2011-03-26, 11:43 AM
I would use whitewash, personally...

For a magical solution, Prestidigitation works and is dirt-cheap, but only for an hour at time. Depending on what exactly you are coloring and why, the various Image spells could work.

It it actually has to be white, Polymorph Any Object it into "itself, only white".

Tael
2011-03-26, 11:46 AM
I always pictured it as dark green...

PAO will work for 100% authentic white, but depending on why you need it white, it's easily doable at much lower levels.

Gadora
2011-03-26, 11:47 AM
One option would be to pay 10-25% more for colored metal. It's on page 122 of Race of the Dragon. That won't let you color a pre-existing item, but if you're in character creation, it should get by with most DMs.

Emperor Ing
2011-03-26, 11:48 AM
I see it as dark purple. If you want it to be white, why not just say it's white? Where's it written that Adamantium is black/dark green/dark purple/polka-dot?

Tengu_temp
2011-03-26, 11:49 AM
Just paint it.

Sims
2011-03-26, 11:52 AM
Just paint it.

No, it will chip off! :O

Firechanter
2011-03-26, 11:54 AM
It's really funny, I also picture Adamantine as black but I don't think I ever read it described as such in a primary source. As for illustrations, sometimes it's depicted as silvery (iirc Eberron) and sometimes as black (e.g. Adamantine Horror).

Swooper
2011-03-26, 11:57 AM
It's really funny, I also picture Adamantine as black but I don't think I ever read it described as such in a primary source. As for illustrations, sometimes it's depicted as silvery (iirc Eberron) and sometimes as black (e.g. Adamantine Horror).
Good point. Adamantine Golems (http://brismod.com/wiki/images/e/ef/Gole9.jpg) are silvery, too.

@OP: I think you just need to ask your DM "what colour is adamantine in your world?" and go from there...

Zaq
2011-03-26, 12:10 PM
Huh. I distinctly recall reading that adamantine is a deep black color (in default fluff, anyway), but now I can't find the reference for it anywhere.

I know that I read that it's black because I remember being surprised that it's black. I had always thought of it as looking like, well, titanium.

Forged Fury
2011-03-26, 12:19 PM
I was recently looking for a reference too as I was trying to figure out if a companion would be able to clearly see her reflection in the blade of an adamantine greatsword. I couldn't find a description.

Honestly, it may have been described in the old 1st or 2nd edition Dwarves Deep supplement.

JaronK
2011-03-26, 12:21 PM
Crystal Keep lists it as black.

JaronK

Blackjackg
2011-03-26, 12:24 PM
I always imagined it dark grey. Funny old world, huh?

The best way to make adamantine white is to say "Hey [insert DM's name here], I'd like my character's adamantine longsword to be white. It's how I picture the character." To which a sensible DM will say "Sure." Works even better if you are the DM, because then you can say "The castle is surrounded by a wall of white adamantine," and your players can't do anything but gape.

As a general rule, if making an aesthetic change doesn't grant a mechanical benefit, it shouldn't come with mechanical costs or penalties ("effort," in this case being a mechanical cost).

Of course, if you are angling for a mechanical benefit, that should be written into the question. Rather than "Best way to make adamantine white?" you might ask "Best way to make adamantine armor that grants a +4 to hide checks in snow?"

mootoall
2011-03-26, 12:30 PM
The fluff for the Chronocheater says that its feathers are purple because they contain adamantine. But I always pictured it as dark green because of Runescape. *Shudder* Those were dark days. Anyway, to answer the OP, I'd second Prestidigitation for a quick and dirty solution, a request to your DM for a good solution, and a coat of paint for a slightly slower, but just as dirty solution.

Draz74
2011-03-26, 12:33 PM
No, it will chip off! :O

Not if you use masterwork paint. :smallwink: (Maybe cast the Hardening spell on the paint?)

Firechanter
2011-03-26, 12:46 PM
Well, considering that plain old iron/steel can be polished to a dull black, silvery or even blue finish, it's not too absurd to assume that Adamantine also can be of various colours.

Uhtred
2011-03-26, 02:38 PM
In "Lord of the Rings," Galadriel's Ring is described as a "Ring of Adamant," and it's definitely white.

tonberrian
2011-03-26, 02:54 PM
I always assume adamantine was a dull green because of FF and Runescape.

As for making it white, there's always enamel!

NNescio
2011-03-26, 02:58 PM
Huh. I distinctly recall reading that adamantine is a deep black color (in default fluff, anyway), but now I can't find the reference for it anywhere.

I know that I read that it's black because I remember being surprised that it's black. I had always thought of it as looking like, well, titanium.

Volo's Guide to All Things Magical is the original, I think. Most books with drow in them also describe Adamantine as black.

Adamantine also has a purplish-white sheen when viewed under magical light and a green sheen under candlelight.

Personally, I think Mithril/Mithral is closer to Titanium.

Edit:

In "Lord of the Rings," Galadriel's Ring is described as a "Ring of Adamant," and it's definitely white.

The ring itself is made out of Mithril, and "Adamant" refers to the gemstone, which is mostly likely diamond. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adamant)

Hmm... an alloy containing carbon... maybe Adamantine is some sort of carbon-nanotube-reinforced steel?

2xMachina
2011-03-26, 02:59 PM
I always thought it was White tinted with Blue. Of course, DF colour scheme probably influenced me on that...

arguskos
2011-03-26, 02:59 PM
The source for the color of adamantine is Volo's Guide to All Things Magical from AD&D 2nd Edition, where it is officially stated that adamantine is a black metal that has a clear green sheen in candlelight but has a purple-white sheen in magically created light or the light from a will-o'-wisp.

And that is the source of the belief that adamantine is either greenish or purplish. I believe that said source has an earlier date, but that's the one I'm familiar with.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-26, 03:09 PM
I thought it was just the gem that was white, like Elronds was blue, and Gandalfs red. As a side note:
ad·a·mant (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/adamant)
   /ˈædəmənt, -ˌmænt/ Show Spelled[ad-uh-muhnt, -mant] Show IPA
–adjective
1.utterly unyielding in attitude or opinion in spite of all appeals, urgings, etc.
2.too hard to cut, break, or pierce.
–noun
3.any impenetrably or unyieldingly hard substance.
4.a legendary stone of impenetrable hardness, formerly sometimes identified with the diamond.

Works even better if you are the DM, because then you can say "The castle is surrounded by a wall of white adamantine," and your players can't do anything but gape.

As a general rule, if making an aesthetic change doesn't grant a mechanical benefit, it shouldn't come with mechanical costs or penalties ("effort," in this case being a mechanical cost).

Well once they see the adamant(ine) walls, they're going to stare in wonder, then plot how to steal a section of wall for crafting.
The sunless citadel adventure also introduced a metal that can be added to iron/steel during construction of a weapon that would give it a variety of appearances. Red, blue, green, glass, etc. Stated taht there was no mechanical difference in the blades, but that it did cost a little more. Say 50gp for most weapons.

Well, considering that plain old iron/steel can be polished to a dull black, silvery or even blue finish, it's not too absurd to assume that Adamantine also can be of various colours.
I think the different finishes are a result of chemical treating processes of the steel during/after construction. At least for the black and blue (heat bluing). Though I do know for a fact that some black finishes are pretty much an enamel that's baked on. Once it's on, at least in a good finish, even a 5 ton press won't scratch the finish.

Traveler
2011-03-26, 06:47 PM
The best way in rules to make a metal (I am assuming this is an item) is... Hold on, let me find the book.
'Digs through books'
Races of the Dragon: Equipment section: Colored Metal.
Cutting the fluff, this says that for 10-25% extra cost metals can be colored (nearly) any color during creation. So if you just like your new item to be white, use this. Though it does cost extra.
And for the record, I always imagined adamantine as a dull grey :smallbiggrin:.
Edit: Thought I looked through the posts as not to repeat. Missed that it was already said. My bad.

faceroll
2011-03-27, 05:03 AM

Yeah, I think I read that somewhere, too.

Epsilon Rose
2011-03-27, 06:00 AM
This may or may not be relevant, but what do you want white and why do you want it white.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-27, 06:28 AM
I always imagined it a dark, dark grey, almost black, in contrast to the silveriness of mithril.

Yora
2011-03-27, 06:32 AM
Drow use weapon and armor made of adamantine, and drow equipment is black!
I think that's the whole reason. :smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2011-03-27, 06:43 AM
Drow use weapon and armor made of adamantine, and drow equipment is black!
I think that's the whole reason. :smallbiggrin:
Or Drow equipment is adamantine because adamantine is black.
Like many things in Fantasy, Tolkien probably had a part in this. Adamantine, despite the diamond connotations, may also have something mythologically to do Thunderbolt Iron, i.e. meteorite iron. In The Silmarillion two swords called Anglachel and Anguirel could cut other swords pretty damn good and were black.

Firechanter
2011-03-27, 06:44 AM
Isn't the drow stuff adamantiTe, which decays in sunlight?

Yora
2011-03-27, 06:53 AM
I think meteorite iron gets way overrated in fantasy fiction. For a very long time, it was the best and most common source for good iron. Terrestial iron rarely has the convenience to appear in a somewhat pure form that does not require complicated refining processes to get it out from the ore.

Firechanter
2011-03-27, 06:56 AM
Actually, looking at real-world meteor iron, that stuff is usually really _pure_ iron. Trouble with that is that you can't make a weapon out of pure iron, you need _steel_. Steel is an iron alloy with carbon, manganese and other stuff in it. You can refine the iron into steel, but that also risks rolling other unwanted impurities in, so you might just as well smelt the iron from ore (if you find any).

Endarire
2011-03-27, 08:25 PM
Paint it. Really.

Veyr
2011-03-27, 09:11 PM
Any DM who takes issue with an item being recolored with no mechanical effect gets a :smallconfused: from me...

I mean, seriously, Races of the Dragon's 10-25% is preposterous for what is an aesthetic effect. It's almost as bad as the Spell Thematics feat.

Without question or hesitation, I'd let any character fluff the color (or other aesthetical features) of any object they crafted themselves (or had custom-crafted), no price increase or problem (unless, I suppose, they actively wanted it to increase the value of the item as a piece of art).

lightningcat
2011-03-27, 09:46 PM
I believe that the extra 10%-25% is on top of the base price, not that for any special materials. So a red longsword would be 17 gp to 18 gp. While a white adamantine longsword would be 3018 gp.
At least that is how I would rule it. Because making it cost between 3316gp and 3768 gp is a bit silly. but paying a few extra gold makes sense to me.

No brains
2011-03-27, 10:29 PM
I don't know about the metal itself, but my adamantine dragon mini is black and it was made by Wizards just a little while ago.

And seriously- just say it is white adamantine. Hell, silver polish onto anything turns it white.

Epsilon Rose
2011-03-27, 11:33 PM
It is worth noting that sometimes things with the same name can be different colors. For example there's such a thing as white jade.

Talakeal
2011-03-27, 11:45 PM

I am told the adamant part refers not to the metal of the band but to the gem, which is a diamond, and therefore adamant in an old fashioned way of speaking.

Sacrieur
2011-03-28, 12:34 AM
Magical* white paint.

Make it resistant to chipping.

Safety Sword
2011-03-28, 12:37 AM
I am told the adamant part refers not to the metal of the band but to the gem, which is a diamond, and therefore adamant in an old fashioned way of speaking.
As opposed to a ring of "Adam Ant" which bestows the magical power of 1970s rock music...

Sacrieur
2011-03-28, 12:39 AM
Oh and you can use permanency with other spells, with DM approval. Just ask your DM if he'll let you use permanency with prestidigitation to change it to white.

White paint... It's even immune to AMF !!

Daftendirekt
2011-03-28, 01:01 AM
Do you really need to go this much into it for color? Any DM who forces you to use spells or whatever to change the color your gear is kind of an ass. For example, the guy I just played tonight had mithral full plate, but it was all black.

I generally picture mithral as silvery with a slightly bluish tinge. However, that would stand out when you're trying to sneak around (yes, he snuck in full plate. Dread Commando FTW!), so I made it black. And that was that. Would it have made any mechanical difference if I said it was pink? No. It's flavor. Your character looks how you want. Go with it.

Crossblade
2011-03-28, 01:18 AM
How do you make it white? Easy...

By covering it in....
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CgAzYZ8Skwk/TTxsD7WJCXI/AAAAAAAAAMQ/LEnhkFZLu6E/s1600/marshmallow-fluff-entert0406-de.jpg
It's funny because it's a double meaning.

Firechanter
2011-03-28, 05:18 AM
There may be ingame implications. Suppose that adamantine is normally black in the respective setting. And since it's so rare and powerful, the king has proclaimed a royal adamantine monopoly. In his kingdom, nobody except royal troops are allowed to have anything made of adamantine.
Then anyone travelling this kingdom would do well to camouflage their adamantine gear. If it's obviously painted, it will draw suspicion, so it should look as if it were the natural colour of the metal.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-03-28, 07:24 AM
Don't know if this has been said, but I think adamantine is generally seen as black or near black because it's sort of based on "starmetal" in folklore, which is in some circles considered meteoric iron. That being said, as a DM I'd just day let it be white or pink or what ever the player wants! Different alloys or minerals in the metal might colour it, a wizard or alchemist could change it, hell it might even denote some god's favour!

hewhosaysfish
2011-03-28, 07:34 AM
The best way to make adamantine white is to say "Hey [insert DM's name here], I'd like my character's adamantine longsword to be white. It's how I picture the character." To which a sensible DM will say "Sure." Works even better if you are the DM, because then you can say "The castle is surrounded by a wall of white adamantine," and your players can't do anything but forget whatever plot and encounters you had planned for inside the castle and just steal the outer wall instead.

Fixed that for you.

Remember people: the DM thinks it's an unbreakable barrier, the PCs think it's insanely valuable.

Aquillion
2011-03-28, 09:20 AM
Any DM who takes issue with an item being recolored with no mechanical effect gets a :smallconfused: from me...
Well, I can think of some applications. Maybe if you want someone to not know that a sword is adamant for some reason -- perhaps so they won't realize it can pierce their DR until it's too late or whatever.

Way too situational for that kind of cost, though.

Fixed that for you.

Remember people: the DM thinks it's an unbreakable barrier, the PCs think it's insanely valuable.That's when you reveal that White Adamantine is a special kind of Adamantine, with no actual value and which can't normally be made in to weapons or armor or, in fact, anything but walls.

Veyr
2011-03-28, 09:39 AM
Well, I can think of some applications. Maybe if you want someone to not know that a sword is adamant for some reason -- perhaps so they won't realize it can pierce their DR until it's too late or whatever.

Way too situational for that kind of cost, though.
I did say "for no mechanical effect". Yes, if there was some mechanical benefit I'd include some commensurate cost. But after the very earliest levels, trying to pretend that the PCs are using actual coins just gets silly. Enough gold coins to buy a +1 adamantine full-plate would weighs 333 pounds; that's more than most characters can carry, and way more than any blacksmith wants to store. So I'd hand-waive the cost differences as something that the smithy was throwing in for such good customers or something, unless or until there was actual bonus for doing so.

Aquillion
2011-03-28, 09:49 AM
Now I want to make a monster with "DR X / Yellow Objects" or something.

mootoall
2011-03-28, 09:56 AM
Now I want to make a monster with "DR X / Yellow Objects" or something. So ... the Green Lantern?

Veyr
2011-03-28, 10:17 AM
The War of the Burning Sky has a bunch of strange damage reductions: for example, there's DR/dead (can only be bypassed by dead living matter, such as wood, or by the attacks of creatures that have died and been revived and/or are undead), and DR/stealth (bypassed by attacks the creature was unaware of).

big teej
2011-03-28, 10:32 AM
soveriegn glue + white paint = permanent white paint coating.

:smallbiggrin:

also, I'm sort of on the bench if I'd charge extra for a weapon looking different.

I suppose I'd ask the player "why? :smallconfused:" and go from there.

this is assuming the player goes "hey, can I get x made out of y in z color" when z is not equal to y's normal color."

as opposed to "I do this"

example:
I once had a dwarf rogue, and the party was going to try and sneak somewhere at night, we had all day to prepare, I told the DM "I start a fire"
and then carried on with our preparations.

everyone gave me :smallconfused: type looks.

later that night, as we were about to leave, the fire had been burned out for a while.

I told the DM "I roll in the soot so I'm all black and camoflauged"

the DM was like Brilliant! and bam, circumstance bonus to hide.
or was it competence?

oh well, my point stands.

/ramble.

Spiryt
2011-03-28, 10:54 AM
s

I told the DM "I roll in the soot so I'm all black and camoflauged"

Smelling like and old campfire from few meters, even for someone with chronic rhinitis kinda spoils the camouflage though. :smallwink:

Firechanter
2011-03-28, 10:58 AM
"Why do I currently feel like a sausage on a stick?"

big teej
2011-03-28, 02:10 PM
Smelling like and old campfire from few meters, even for someone with chronic rhinitis kinda spoils the camouflage though. :smallwink:

oh hush, the DM didn't think of that :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-03-28, 02:56 PM
^: IIRC, soot and grease were a form that ancient camouflage took and is sometimes still used today... and unless the wood was particularly aromatic, it shouldn't really be that much of an issue against things with human-level scent capabilities and near-human reasoning. Older soot would probably have been better, of course...

OP: Lacquer, shellac, paint, varnish. Getting the DM to not be quite such a stick in the mud and just ad-hocing a fluff cost for a fluff thing that doesn't need a 7th or 9th level spell.

Spiryt
2011-03-28, 03:07 PM
^: IIRC, soot and grease were a form that ancient camouflage took and is sometimes still used today... and unless the wood was particularly aromatic, it shouldn't really be that much of an issue against things with human-level scent capabilities and near-human reasoning. Older soot would probably have been better, of course...

I can only say that in ancient times camouflage wasn't that popular, desired and needed thing, and well, today when even with silenced weapons you generally engage opponents from at least few dozens of feet, smell's not big problem indeed.

And, I think that it's not used in very big quantities?

I can also say, that just smoke from bigger campfire can be felt in the clothes for a long time.

I also face planted (fortunately extinguished by then) campfire once, being "a bit" drunk. :smalltongue::smalltongue:

Scent could be felt week later, even with a couple of baths, so I would say that someone who literally rolled in campfire would smell pretty damn strong.

Send it to Mythbusters anyway. :smallcool:

Hirax
2011-03-28, 03:13 PM
Whenever I want to make these sorts of cosmetic changes to material I usually just ask my DM/let my players make an alloy. Most recently I made a blue ice/mithril alloy, since I wanted the blue ice look, but mithril stats.

Coidzor
2011-03-28, 03:27 PM
Hmm, point, I wasn't really thinking about the campfire so much as the soot...

So, Sims, what kind of equipment is this that you want to change its color? A suit of armor? A sword? Something that dissolves in sunlight so you need to put something protective on it that won't develop an inconvenient crack or chip?

Sims
2011-03-28, 03:32 PM
Hmm, point, I wasn't really thinking about the campfire so much as the soot...

So, Sims, what kind of equipment is this that you want to change its color? A suit of armor? A sword? Something that dissolves in sunlight so you need to put something protective on it that won't develop an inconvenient crack or chip?

Haha its actually a suit of Full Plate Armor, and a large shield. And maybe a construct.

But the important thing was the armor. My DM seems okay with it, as he thought the request was odd too.

EDIT: Yeah heh heh a white Adamantine Golem would be cool.

big teej
2011-03-28, 05:27 PM
Send it to Mythbusters anyway. :smallcool:

I'm trying, but for the life of me, their forums won't let me post anything.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-28, 07:07 PM
Haha its actually a suit of Full Plate Armor, and a large shield.

I'm gonna guess I know a set of books that you read... (http://www.georgerrmartin.com/)

Leon
2011-03-28, 11:44 PM
sovereign glue + white paint = permanent white paint coating..

bah beaten to it