PDA

View Full Version : Monsters for underwater caves

Finkmilkana
2011-03-26, 01:41 PM
Somehow it seems to me that there aren't really many monsters that would be encountered in things like underwater rivers, flooded mines or the like. At least i don't find any really fitting.
Thus i would like to ask the playground what kind of things would lurk in the wet darkness.

(DnD 3.5, no matter what Cr, but the range of 2 to 12 would be most interesting)

LOTRfan
2011-03-26, 01:47 PM
Aboleth? Skum? Dark Tentacles?

... I can't think of any other, actually...

aart lover
2011-03-26, 01:49 PM
off the top of my head? aboleth. other than that i can't tell you, most of our adventures occur on land.

Forged Fury
2011-03-26, 01:55 PM
What about a Giant Crab of some sort, although I wouldn't suggest That Damn Crab.

Beyond that...
Aboleth
Chuul
Dragon Turtle
Kapoacinth (Aquatic Gargoyle)
Lacedon (Aquatic Ghoul)
Sea Hag
Locathah
Water Naga
Giant Octopus
Merrow (Aquatic Ogre)
Sahuagin
Skum
Scraq (Aquatic Troll)

aart lover
2011-03-26, 04:39 PM
funny how when you say aquatic monster almost everyone immediately thinks aboleth:smalltongue:

Parasyn
2011-03-26, 07:00 PM
i have all of the 3.5 MMs so here is a list i quickly made up
minus most things in the core MM because the other posters have covered those
There are many more aquatic monsters but those are more likely to be found on the open sea not in an underwater cave
MM Kuo-Toa
Bronze dragons
Gold dragons
Water elementals
MM II
Morkoth CR5
Kopru CR6
Cryptoclidus (dinosaur) CR3
Ixitxachitl CR1 (average) CR3 (vampiric)
Leechwalker CR10
Wyste CR5
MM III
Dragon Eel CR11
Drowned CR8
Seryulin CR7 (normal) CR10 (greater)
MM IV
Corrupture CR9
MM V
all i saw were some kuo-toa variations

if you need aquatic monsters i recommend getting your hands on a copy of
stormwrack

DonEsteban
2011-03-26, 07:25 PM
But then, again, Stormwrack is mostly for oceanic adventures. A quick search (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindMonster.php) for everything with a swim speed came up with this (many of them already mentioned):

Aboleth
10th-Level Wizard Aboleth Mage
Psionic Aboleth
Amethyst Dragon
Baleen Whale
Polar Bear
Black Dragon
Bronze Dragon
Cachalot Whale
Chuul
Constrictor Snake
Giant Constrictor Snake
Corpse Tearer
Crocodile
Giant Crocodile
Cryptoclidus
Crystal Dragon
Darktentacles
Dragon Turtle
Dread Linnorm
Elasmosaurus
Blood Elemental
Emerald Dragon
Gibbering Mouther
Gold Dragon
Gray Linnorm
Green Dragon
Green Hag
Five-Headed Hydra
Immoth
Average Ixitxachitl
Vampiric Ixitxachitl
Kopru
Kraken
Kuo-Toa
Leechwalker
Leviathan
Monitor Lizard
Locathah
Manta Ray
Megalodon
Ooze Mephit
Water Mephit
1st-Level Warrior Merfolk
Morkoth
Mudmaw
Nixie
Nymph
Ocean Giant
Ocean Strider
Octopus
Giant Octopus
Orca
Ormyrr
Porpoise
Purple Worm
Queen of Chaos
Rat
Sahuagin
Sapphire Dragon
Sea Cat
Sea Hag
Shambling Mound
Dire Shark
Huge Shark
Large Shark
Legendary Shark
Medium Shark
Shocker Lizard
Sirine
Skum
Dire Snake
Viper Snake
Squid
Giant Squid
Storm Giant
Teratomorph
Tojanida
Topaz Dragon
Triton
Water Elemental
Water Naga
Water Weird
White Dragon
Wyste
Yuan-Ti Abomination

Seffbasilisk
2011-03-26, 07:28 PM
That Damn Crab.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20040221a

What about a Giant Crab of some sort, although I wouldn't suggest That Damn Crab.

Saintheart
2011-03-28, 07:18 AM
Look into The Last Breaths of Ashenport, a Dragon magazine adventure. Several naaaasty little critters there that work in underwater environments.

Thurbane
2011-03-28, 08:25 PM
The Morkoth seems ideal for this...you can advance or template it to bump up it's CR.

The-0-Endless
2017-05-21, 07:35 PM
Morkoth. They are pretty much ursula with more magic and less human.

flappeercraft
2017-05-21, 07:45 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThreadNecromancer

Thurbane
2017-05-21, 10:46 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThreadNecromancer

A. Is <2 months really necromancy (although agreed in this case, it was a somewhat redundant comment)?

B. I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but, I don't think posting this link in multiple necro'd threads is particularly helpful

flappeercraft
2017-05-21, 10:51 PM
A. Is <2 months really necromancy (although agreed in this case, it was a somewhat redundant comment)?

B. I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but, I don't think posting this link in multiple necro'd threads is particularly helpful

It was March of 2011 not 2017 when this was posted. Also this is literally the first time I've put this link ina necro's thread so sorry if I did something done multiple times before, I just wasn't aware that was commonly placed on necro'd thread apparently

Thurbane
2017-05-21, 11:00 PM
Oops, you're 100% correct on the date. :smallredface:

Funny thing is I vaguely remembered posting this, so assumed it was much more recent.

Also my bad on the link: someone with a similar avatar posted the same link in hte last couple of days.

Apologies all around. :smallfrown:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-05-21, 11:05 PM
A Hydra, and switch its feats for Snatch, Improved Snatch, and Multisnatch (Draconomicon).

It only needs to bring one head to the surface to breathe. Considering it's a reptilian species with a swim speed, it should be able to hold its breath for a long time like crocodiles (10-15 minutes) and snapping turtles (50 minutes).

Ideally it would be in a deep portion of an otherwise shallow pool, hiding beneath the water. Anyone who swims by provokes an AoO (and it bites with every head), and it probably establishes a hold. It then gets a surprise round, during which it can bite with every head, and due to Multisnatch that grabbed opponent is attacked by the other heads as though from outside the grapple (no Dex or dodge bonuses or similar). On the following round it should grab as many opponents as possible who come to that one's aid, then start swimming deeper.

You can even make it a Cyrohydra and make its breath freeze the water...

Braininthejar2
2017-05-22, 10:51 AM
Hmm... a bunch of Drowned miners in a flooded mine would definitely be an unusual encounter.

Maximum Carnage
2017-05-22, 12:09 PM
Do you want to make it a tough encounter for your party, if so, a couple of aballins would have the desired effect. Check MoF for the details...

yellowrocket
2017-05-22, 12:57 PM
Undead work as they don't need to breathe.

flappeercraft
2017-05-22, 01:24 PM
Guys this thread is from 6 years ago so we should probably just let it die out as that is already probably solved

Thurbane
2017-05-22, 05:07 PM
I used to moderate on a forum for a particular PC game many moons ago - we also had a No Thread Necromancy rule.

I actually challenged it with the other moderators: in my mind, if someone wanted to expand on an existing topic, it took up less resources and created less clutter to add to an existing thread (regardless of age) than posting a new one. I was overruled.

I respect the rules of this site, though, and I'm not challenging them, I've always just been curious why No Thread Necromancy is such a pervasive rule on forums.

In this particular thread, the necro wasn't particularly useful, but still, I can think of lots of threads around a specific topic where if someone has a new opinion or related question would be relevant.

Just my 2 coppers.