PDA

View Full Version : The Elf Ambassador

Van Duyn
2011-03-26, 03:50 PM
Is there any speculation on why the elvish ambassador to the empire of blood was glaring at V in this http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0755.html comic? I didn't think much of it at the time but the ambassador has reappeared in several strips since and is now actually sitting next to V in the arena, so it seems that it might eventually become something of a plot point.

I don't know if there's already a thread about this, I looked and couldn't find one so I'm going to go ahead and assume that there isn't.

Dr.Epic
2011-03-26, 03:51 PM
I don't know if there's already a thread about this, I looked and couldn't find one so I'm going to go ahead and assume that there isn't.

Pretty sure there's one already about this.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-26, 03:52 PM
The essential conclusion and consensus is that we don't have a clue. There are plenty of theories, but as is, the ambassador has never before been mentioned or seen, rendering theories baseless.

EmperorSarda
2011-03-26, 04:17 PM
Most likely it is for teleporting the Azurites to the fortress/island where they could regroup. Yes, the Elves are allies of Hinjo and the Azurites, but they didn't volunteer the island for them to settle. So while they don't or cannot cut ties, they don't like it either.

That is probably the most likely supposition.

G-Man Graves
2011-03-26, 04:19 PM
That is probably the most likely supposition.

Ah, since you said so, it must be true.

EmperorSarda
2011-03-26, 04:21 PM
Ah, since you said so, it must be true.

Should I have to add, in my opinion, for everyone to know that it is only my own opinion?

G-Man Graves
2011-03-26, 04:23 PM
Should I have to add, in my opinion, for everyone to know that it is only my own opinion?

Well, if it is only you're opinion, you can't make such a strong statement as "This is the most likely thing." Now, I personally think that it is a figure from V's past. I dunno how likely that is though.

ryu
2011-03-26, 05:05 PM
To be fair the extra qualifier of probably was also in that sentence.

Werbaer
2011-03-26, 05:26 PM
There were several threads, and there were discussions in several of the main threads. Last thread was Why is the green haired elf angry at V? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187400)

Maryring
2011-03-29, 04:46 PM
Basically, he's there to grate on everyones minds.

Morquard
2011-03-29, 05:01 PM
Well, if it is only you're opinion, you can't make such a strong statement as "This is the most likely thing." Now, I personally think that it is a figure from V's past. I dunno how likely that is though.
I agree with this assumption.
Why? When Blackwing asked why the elf was glaring (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0754.html), V aswered "Now is not the time". He didn't say "I have no idea".

While of course there's the possiblility of it meaning "I have no idea, but lets think about it another time" it more likely means "I know why, but I don't want to talk about it".
So yes, I think it's someone V knows, and he knows why he's angry too.

Warren Dew
2011-03-29, 06:32 PM
There were several threads, and there were discussions in several of the main threads. Last thread was Why is the green haired elf angry at V? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187400)
Indeed.

We do have more information now than we did when that thread was first posted, though, because in this strip we see the elf ambassador glaring at Blackwing's words. The likelihood is that he disapproves of Blackwing's rooting for the allosaurus, which is killing a bunch of beings, even if those beings aren't good aligned. That supports the theory previously presented that his glares at Vaarsuvius are because he has of Vaarsuvius' handling of the mother dragon, which involved a familicide which likewise killed a bunch of beings, even if they weren't good aligned.

theNater
2011-03-29, 07:23 PM
Indeed.

We do have more information now than we did when that thread was first posted, though, because in this strip we see the elf ambassador glaring at Blackwing's words. The likelihood is that he disapproves of Blackwing's rooting for the allosaurus, which is killing a bunch of beings, even if those beings aren't good aligned. That supports the theory previously presented that his glares at Vaarsuvius are because he has of Vaarsuvius' handling of the mother dragon, which involved a familicide which likewise killed a bunch of beings, even if they weren't good aligned.
Or, y'know, the ambassador is glaring at Blackwing because Blackwing just called humanoids(which would include the ambassador) monkeys, and the glares at V are unrelated.

Hussam B.
2011-03-29, 07:38 PM
Hey how about this: Could the Ambassador be, in fact, looking at something behind their row of seats? Meaning that the ambassador's attention is drawn something interesting transpiring behind them? maybe more interesting than a giant reptilian on a rampage in the arena?

HappyBlanket
2011-03-29, 08:19 PM
Hey how about this: Could the Ambassador be, in fact, looking at something behind their row of seats? Meaning that the ambassador's attention is drawn something interesting transpiring behind them? maybe more interesting than a giant reptilian on a rampage in the arena?

And there just happens to be something interesting happening in Polonius' line of sight every time he looks in V's direction? And only when he looks in V's direction?

MReav
2011-03-30, 09:23 AM
I think the ambassador is looking at V's familiar. In 784, the ambassador is giving his disapproving looking up, where V's familiar is. I don't know why P might not like V's familiar though.

Themrys
2011-03-30, 09:52 AM
I think the ambassador is looking at V's familiar. In 784, the ambassador is giving his disapproving looking up, where V's familiar is. I don't know why P might not like V's familiar though.

Maybe P disapproves of the fact that Blackwing paints his beak and feet yellow. (Hey, we're told he's a raven, and the colors just aren't right)
I guess it is considered indecent in elvish society.
:smallbiggrin:

P doesn't know about the familicide. Only Inky was present when V did that, and I doubt you could actually see all those dragons being killed. All you could see was V, doing some strange magic with a dragon's head.
The elves would have to have researched (and questioned the oracle) why all those black dragons suddenly died, and I am quite sure they have more important things on their agenda.
Those elves are obviously not peaceful protectors of all life - remember the goblins?

MReav
2011-03-30, 09:59 AM
P doesn't know about the familicide. Only Inky was present when V did that, and I doubt you could actually see all those dragons being killed. All you could see was V, doing some strange magic with a dragon's head.

(Add V's children and the dragon head)

Well, V also gave a monologue about what V had intended to do, then V shouted "Familicide" and then gave a victory speech detailing just what V did.

The_Weirdo
2011-03-30, 10:10 AM
(Add V's children and the dragon head)

Well, V also gave a monologue about what V had intended to do, then V shouted "Familicide" and then gave a victory speech detailing just what V did.

Mattering fairly little unless Inky decided to tell others about it all. In and of itself, granted, this is not that hard a possibility.

sihnfahl
2011-03-30, 10:12 AM
And not long after, the divorce papers.

"Why do you wish to divorce your spouse?"

"Because my spouse made a deal with Devils for power, reanimated a dragon's head, used that as a spell focus to kill all the dragon's relatives, then left me to pick up the pieces of what had been my life to help my Spouse's 'buddies'."

Story spreads like wildfire...

Morquard
2011-03-30, 11:13 AM

Maybe it is considered rude for a familiar to not disappear when they're not needed for something specific?
That elf is wearing a robe, so is possibly a wizard himself.

Or it reminds him of how poorly he himself treats his own familiar and projects that hate on Blackwing.

However I still think its someone from V's past.

Timberboar
2011-03-30, 11:28 AM
The elven ambassador is obviously Inky's broth-ister.

Hussam B.
2011-03-30, 03:59 PM
And there just happens to be something interesting happening in Polonius' line of sight every time he looks in V's direction? And only when he looks in V's direction?

Heh, I actually just had the last occurance in mind actually, I thought it funny that everyone was shocked by and staring intently at the dinosaur except for the ambassador who seems to have his mind occupied, by V or otherwise, but then again maybe I am reading too much into it :P