PDA

View Full Version : Beast Tamer a [3.5] (Base Class) PEACH

RaginChangeling
2011-03-26, 04:27 PM
Beast Tamer

Class Skills
The Beast Tamer's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Balance (Dex), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Alignment: Any

Hit Dice: d10
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Bestial Companion, Bestial Empathy
2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Master Trainer
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Whip Master
4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Monster Handler
5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Extra Bestial Companion 1
6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+2|
7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+2|Tamer Tactics
8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+2|Armor Training, Tamed Flank
9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+3|
10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|
+3|Extra Beastial Companion 2, Miracle Worker
11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|
+3|Beast Team Up
12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+4|
13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+4|
14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|
+4|
15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+5|Training Experience
16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|
+5|
17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|
18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|
19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|
20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Beast Tamer is proficient in all simple weapons as well as all martial ranged weapons, the lance and Whips. The Beast Tamer is proficient in medium armor and all shields but tower shields.

Beast Companion (Ex): A Beast Tamer may begin play with an beast companion selected from the following list: Baboon, badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), hyena, monkey, owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), Swindlespitter or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures are also available: porpoise, Medium shark, octopus and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the druid on her adventures as appropriate for its kind.

A 1st-level Beast Tamer’s companion is completely typical for its kind except as noted below. If its Intelligence is greater than 2, the companion has the same alignment as you. As a Beast Tamer advances in level, the beast’s power increases as shown on the table below. If a Beast Tamer releases her companion from service, she may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 6 hours and material components worth 100 gold per hit die of the new companion. This ceremony can also replace an Bestial companion that has perished.

If you have levels in other classes (such as druid or ranger) that give you the ability to have an animal companion, those levels do not stack with your Beast Tamer levels for the purpose of determining which kinds of beast companions you can select (and what the abilities of those companions are).

A Beast Tamer of 4th level or higher may select from alternative lists of companions. Should she select an beast companion from one of these alternative lists, the creature gains abilities as if the character’s Beast Tamer level were lower than it actually is. Subtract the value indicated in the appropriate list header from the character’s Beast Tamer level and compare the result with the Beast Tamer level entry on the table to determine the Beast companion’s powers. (If this adjustment would reduce the Beast Tamer’s effective level to 0 or lower, she can’t have that Beast as a companion.)

Bestial Empathy (Ex): A Beast Tamer can improve the attitude of an animal. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The Beast Tamer rolls 1d20 and adds her Beast Tamer level and her Charisma modifier to determine the Bestial empathy check result.

The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.

To use wild empathy, the Beast Tamer and the animal must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1 minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.

A Beast Tamer can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, but she takes a -4 penalty on the check.

If you have the wild empathy or monstrous empathy ability from another class, add your levels in that class to your Beast Tamer level when influencing magical beasts or animals. If you have 5 or more ranks in the Handle Animal skill, you gain a +2 bonus on your Beastial empathy checks.

Master Trainer (Ex): At second level, Beast Tamer gets +5 on his bonus to Handle animal checks for the purposes of teaching a trick, or training a mount. In addition, training takes only one half the time.

Whip Master (Ex):When wielding a whip, you deal lethal damage and can damage creatures wearing armor, or with a positive natural armor bonus. In addition, you no longer provoke attacks of opportunity when wielding it within range of other melee combatants.

Monster Handler (Ex): At level 4, You can make Handle Animal checks with regard to magical beasts and aberrations without penalty. This ability applies only to creatures that have an Intelligence score of 1 or 2. Magical beasts and aberrations that

have higher Intelligence scores cannot be controlled by Handle Animal at all.

Extra Beastial Companion (Ex): At 5th level, you gain a second Beastial companion, chosen from the list of companions available to a 1st level Beast Tamers.

Treat your Beast Tamer class level as if it were four levels lower for the purpose of determining the monster’s abilities (or of selecting an alternative companion at higher levels). At 10th level, you gain a third Beastial companion, chosen from the list of companions available to a 1st-level beast heart adept. Treat your Beast Tamer class level as if it were eight levels lower for the purpose of determining the monster’s abilities (or of selecting an alternative companion at higher levels)

Tamer Tactics (Ex): Starting at 7th level, you and your Bestial companions make an excellent team. Through coordination and practice, you have learned to optimize your combined efforts. When one of your Bestial companions strikes an opponent with a melee attack, the target provokes an attack of opportunity from you. With this ability, you can make an attack of opportunity against a particular target once per round. In addition, your companions do not grant cover against your enemies when you use ranged attacks or spells.

Armor training (Ex) Starting at eighth level, you've trained your companions well in how to move around in armor and barding, reduce the armor check penalty of all barding worn by your companions by 2. In addition, raise the maximum dexterity bonus by 2.

Tamed Flank (Ex):At 8th level, you learn to better coordinate your attacks with your Bestial companion. When you form a flank with a companion, both you and the
creature gain an additional +2 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls against the flanked opponent.

Miracle Worker (Ex): At level 10 you can even use your Beastial Empathy to affect the attitudes of vermin. Treat them as if they have 1 intelligence if they do not have an intelligence score. In addition, several vermin become available as Bestial companions.

Beast Team-Up (Ex): When you reach 11th level, all the members of your adventuring party now gain the benefits of your Tamer flank and Tamer tactics abilities. Any references to “you” in those abilities now include your allies.

Training Experience (Ex):At fifteenth level, your great experience with training and aiding beasts has paid off, for your extra Bestial companions treat your Beast Tamer level as if it were two levels higher for the purposes of determining the bonuses for their advancement. This does not affect your primary companion.

{table=head]Beast Tamer Level| Bonus HD | Bonus Str/Dex/Con | Natural Armor adj.| Bonus Tricks | Special
1-2| +0 | +0 | +0 | 1 | Link
3-4 | +2 | +1 | +1 | 2 | Evasion
5-6 | +4 | +2 | +2 | 3 | Devotion
7-8 | +6 | +2 | +3 | 4 | Natural Fury
9-10 | +8 | +3 | +4 | 4 | Multiattack
11-12 | +10 | +4 | +6 | 5 | Pounce
13-14 | +12 | +5 | +8 | 6 | Improved Evasion
15-16 | +14 | +6 | +10 | 6 |
17-18 | +18 | +8 | +12 | 7 | Rapidstrike
19-20 | +22 | +10 | +14 | 8 | Pinnacle of their kind
[/table]

Monstrous Companion Basics:

Use the base statistics for a creature of the companion’s kind as given in the Monster Manual, but make the following changes.

Class Level: Use the character’s beast heart adept level.

Bonus HD: Add this number to the base creature’s existing Hit Dice. Extra Hit Dice improve a monstrous companion’s base attack bonus and base save bonuses, and grant it additional feats and skill points (for details, see Improving Monsters, MM 290). Monstrous companions do not increase in size as a result of these extra Hit Dice.

Natural Armor Adj.: Add this number to the base creature’s existing natural armor bonus.

Str/Dex/Con Adj.: Add this number to the base creature’s Strength score, Dexterity score and Constitution score.

Bonus Tricks: The value in this column is the number of bonus tricks known by the Bestial companion, in addition to any other tricks the beast heart adept might teach it. These bonus tricks do not require training time or Handle Animal checks, and they do not count against the normal limit of tricks known by the monstrous companion. The beast heart adept selects these
bonus tricks, and once selected, they cannot be changed. Only Bestial companions that have an Intelligence score of 1 or 2 must be taught to perform a trick; smarter monsters can be directed verbally. Treat Vermin as if they have 1 Int for this purpose.

Link (Ex): A Beast Tamer can handle his Bestial companion as a free action, or push it as a move action. The beast heart adept gains a +4 circumstance bonus on monster empathy checks and Handle Animal checks regarding a Bestial companion.

Evasion (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, your monstrous companion can avoid damage from certain attacks with a successful Reflex save. See the monk class feature (PH 41).

Natural Fury (Ex): Your Bestial companion's natural attacks are treated as if they have the ghost touch special ability.

Multiattack (Ex): Beginning at Ninth level, a bestial companion gains Multiattack as a bonus feat if it has three or more natural attacks and does not already have that feat. If it does not have the requisite three or more natural attacks, the Bestial companion instead gains a second attack with its primary natural weapon, albeit at a -5 penalty.

Devotion (Ex): A Bestial companion’s devotion to its master is so complete that it gains a +4 morale bonus on Will saves against enchantment spells and effects.

Pouce (Ex): At eleventh level, your bestial companion gains use of the pounce special attack if it does not already have it. If it does, it instead gains the improved multiattack feat.

Improved Evasion (Ex): Beginning at 13th level, your Bestial companion can avoid damage from certain attacks with a successful Reflex save and take only half damage on a failed save.

Rapid Strike (Ex): At 17th level, your companions gain the ability to make a second iterative attack with all of their natural attacks at a -5 penalty anytime they take a full attack action. If your companion only has a single natural attack, and does not have the multiattack feat, it gains the ability to make a full four iterative attacks anytime it is able to take a full-attack action.

Pinnacle of their kind (Ex): At 19th level, your bestial companion is at the peak of it's species physical and mental ability. It gains a +4 bonus to all saving throws, and one of the following abilities:

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): The Bestial companion can make hide checks while being observed, in any sort of natural setting.

Mettle (Ex): When targeted by a spell or effect that allows for a fortitude or will save for half damage, if the Bestial companion makes the saving throw it takes no damage.

Martial Supremacy (Su): The Bestial Companion's natural attacks are treated as magical weapons with a +3 bonus. They are also able to change their material to overcome any kind of damage reduction based on a specific material such as adamantine or silver.

4th Level or Higher (Level -3)
Ape (animal) (MM)
Ankheg (MM)
Bear, black (MM)
Bison (MM)
Boar (MM)
Cheetah (MM)
Crocodile 1 (MM)
Dire badger (MM)
Dire bat (MM)
Dire weasel (MM)
Greenspawn Leaper (MM4)
Fleshraker (MM3)
Leopard (MM)
Lizard, monitor (MM)
Otyugh (MM)
Shark, Large1 (MM)
Snailsnake (MM4)
Snake, constrictor (MM)
Snake, Large viper (MM)
Wolverine (MM)
Worg

5th Level or Higher (level -4)

Ashworm (4 Hit Dice) (SS)
Bear, brown (MM)
blink dog (MM)
Camalopardel (SS)
Chekryan (SS)
Dire ape (MM)
Dire boar (MM)
Dire wolf (MM)
Dire wolverine (MM)
Etheral Filcher (MMV)
giant eagle (MM)
giant owl (MM)
hippogriff (4 Hit Dice), (MM)
krenshar (4 Hit Dice) (MM)
Lion (animal) (MM)
owlbear (MM)
pegasus (MM)
Rune Hound (MM3)
Shocker Lizard (4 Hit Dice) (MM4)
Tiger (MM)

7th Level or Higher (Level -6)
Avalancher (MM3)
Crocodile, giant (MM)
Deinonychus (MM)
Digester (MM)
Ettercap (MM)
Elasmosaurus1 (MM)
Girallon(MM)
Griffon(MM)
Manticore (MM)
Phase Spider (MM3)
Rhinoceros (MM)
Snake, Huge viper (MM)
Spider Eater (MM4)
Winter wolf(MM)

9th Level or Higher (Level -8)
Chimera (MM)
Bear, polar (MM)
Dire lion (MM)
Displacer Beast (MM)
Feral Yowler (MM3)
Redspawn Firebelcher (MM4)
Whitespawn Iceskidder (MM4)
Wyvern (MM)
Shark, Huge1 (MM)
Snake, giant constrictor (MM)
5-Headed Hydra2 (MM)

10th Level or Higher (Level -9)
Basalisk (MM)
Bloodstriker (MM3)
Greenspawn Razorfiend (MM4)
Megaraptor (MM)
Monstrous Scorpion, Huge (MM)
Remorhaz (MM5)
Rust Monster (MM)
Sea Tiger1 (MM)
Susurrus (MM5)
Tomb Spider (MM4)
Whale, orca1 (MM)
Zezir (MMV)

11th Level or Higher (Level -10)
Chuul (MM)
Chelicera (MM5)
Destrachan (MM4)
Dire bear (MM)
Elephant (MM)
Deadborn Vulture (MM4)
Dragonne (MM)
Gorgon (MM)
Monstrous Centipede, Gargantuan (MM)
Octopus, giant1 (MM)

13th Level or Higher (Level -12)
Behir (MM)
Bulette (MM)
Dire shark1 (MM)
Dire tiger (MM)
Grey Render (MM)
Lodestone Marauder (MM3)
Mastodon (MM)
Thrym Hound (MM4)
Triceratops (MM)
Tyrannosaurus (MM)
Umber Hulk (MM)
Yrthak (MM)

16th Level or Higher (Level -15)

Frost Worm (MM)
Guulvorg (MM3)
Ironclad Mauler (MM3)
Knell Beetle (MM3)
Purple Worm (MM)
Squid, giant1 (MM)
Roc (MM)
Steelwing (MM5)

18th Level or Higher (Level -17)
Balhannoth (MM4)
Monstrous Spider (Gargantuan)(MM)

20th Level or Higher
Broodkeeper (MM3)
Malastor (MM3)
Odopi (MM4)
Seige Crab (MM3)
Seige Beetle(MM5)

1- Use these companions in Aquatic Campaigns
2- A hydra advances slightly differently that most companions. As it gains hitdice, grant it additional heads and bite attacks until it reaches twelve total.

RaginChangeling
2011-03-26, 04:30 PM
Okay, so I always see people say that the Druid is 3 classes in one and there is a lot of love for shapeshifting classes and nature spellcasters.

There is much less love for pet classes, and that's where I wanted to go with this one. I borrowed some abilities from the Beast Heart Adept from Dungeonscape, which is a great prestige class that really peters out once you've taken 10 levels of it. I'm a bit unsure what abilities to give higher level Beast Tamers as well, any suggestions there?

Also, there are 133 potential companion species. I tried to keep to creatures with 10 or less intelligence who advanced by HD, and also to keep from those with incredibly strong abilities. If any of the ones who made it in are too strong for their level, or as a companion, make sure to let me know.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-27, 09:10 PM
I am a little surprised at the more intelligent companions (avalancher, kraken, delver and the like.)
Some of your source books are mixed up. Ironclad Mauler and Knell Beetle are MM3, Balhannoth is MM4, etc.
Sussurrus surprised me. It's that walking mirror creature that hates undead, right? How could you tame that?

RaginChangeling
2011-03-27, 09:40 PM
I am a little surprised at the more intelligent companions (avalancher, kraken, delver and the like.)
Some of your source books are mixed up. Ironclad Mauler and Knell Beetle are MM3, Balhannoth is MM4, etc.
Sussurrus surprised me. It's that walking mirror creature that hates undead, right? How could you tame that?

Well, part of the inspiration for that came from the Beast Heart Adept prestige class from Dungeonscape. I mean, Giant Eagles and Owls both have 10 Int and you can get one as a monstrous companion at 6th level or so with that. I felt like if I kept it limited to animals only it wouldn't scale as well with the HD benefits, if you notice the Magical Beast and Abberations you can get usually have lower hit dice than animals of the same tier. And if you have an intelligent companion, its more like having a cohort than a straight animal companion; though oddly enough you still use handle animal to teach them a bunch of stuff (Like how to be a mount and such).

I'll go back and correct the sources on the ones you picked out, I didn't note them when writing it down so most of that was from memory. :smallredface:

Kraken is also there mostly because it is iconic, I felt like at level 20 you should have the capacity to impress one/find one with your alignment and goals. I could take it out though, I tried to keep most of the companions to <10 Int for that reason.

Thanks!

EDIT: Alright, rechecked the books. Avalanchers have Int 5 so they fit in roughly with the rest of the companions. Delvers and Krakens are a bit too intelligent though, and I didn't see the Kraken's UMD modifier. They're been removed.

Shark Uppercut
2011-03-27, 11:49 PM
Just wondering- why Ethereal Filchers? They really only can steal stuff from weak, unaware targets.
Odopi are evil, chaotic outsiders. Little surprised to see them on the list.
Deadborn Vulture- I don't have the book, so I'll ask- are they undead? If they are, it'd be weird being able to control them.

All the Int10 or lower magical beasts are pretty cool to have, although including spawn of Tiamat was an odd choice. Umber hulk still bugs me.

Idea: Include feat(s) that improve the list. One that provides all the aberrations, one that includes spawn of Tiamat, etc.

RaginChangeling
2011-03-28, 12:06 AM
Just wondering- why Ethereal Filchers? They really only can steal stuff from weak, unaware targets.
Odopi are evil, chaotic outsiders. Little surprised to see them on the list.
Deadborn Vulture- I don't have the book, so I'll ask- are they undead? If they are, it'd be weird being able to control them.

All the Int10 or lower magical beasts are pretty cool to have, although including spawn of Tiamat was an odd choice. Umber hulk still bugs me.

Idea: Include feat(s) that improve the list. One that provides all the aberrations, one that includes spawn of Tiamat, etc.

I think the only things I have on the list are Animals/Magical Beasts/Abberations, Deadborn Vultures are basically corrupted Giant Eagles and Magical Beasts.

I may make the thing you suggest part of the class features, Like all of them have access to Magical Beasts and Animals but there are then three or four tracks you can go down,

One with access to Vermin, one with access to Aberrations, one with access to Dragons(?) with the list divided up more thematically than straight along type lines. Like the (Evil) line would include the spawn of Tiamat, the always evil abberations and such, the (Miracle worker) would include all the ones of less than 2 int that are not animals, maybe give them an int bonus? The other line would be for whatever is left over, all the neutral/good stuff maybe.

Or I could subdivide it further and you get access to 2 paths, one at level 5 and one at level 15 maybe.

How does that work? Maybe have a feat to get a single choice from off your list.