PDA

View Full Version : Blind character.

Pigkappa
2011-03-26, 04:48 PM
Problem 1.)A character is in a big room where is going on a fight between his party and several opponents. He is blind; he knows that there are several enemies, but nobody is currently attacking him in melee, and there are no enemies at a distance of 5 ft from him.

Can he just go near an opponent and attack him (with the 50% loss chance for blindness)?

Problem 2.)A character opens a door and sees someone in the room, and decides to charge. A caster in the room has this prepared action: "Cast Blindness on the first person who enters the room".

Does the prepared action activate before the charge is done? The target is moving really quickly so I would say this is difficult; maybe I would call for an easy Reflex save or Dex check but I'm not sure this is appropriate.

Let's suppose the prepared action does work and the character fails his saving throw. Now he is blind. Can he still continue his charge and hit the enemy (with a 50% loss chance for blindness)? I would call for a Concentration check whose DC is based on the distance he has to go, but I'm not sure again.

Moriato
2011-03-26, 05:13 PM
Problem 1.)A character is in a big room where is going on a fight between his party and several opponents. He is blind; he knows that there are several enemies, but nobody is currently attacking him in melee, and there are no enemies at a distance of 5 ft from him.

Can he just go near an opponent and attack him (with the 50% loss chance for blindness)?

Only if he has some way of knowing where that oppenent is. A listen check could work. Otherwise he can only guess at where they might be. Basically treat it as if all the oppenents were invisible to him.

Does the prepared action activate before the charge is done? The target is moving really quickly so I would say this is difficult; maybe I would call for an easy Reflex save or Dex check but I'm not sure this is appropriate.

Yes it does. A readied action actually happens slightly before the action that triggers it, which is kind of confusing in this case, but just take it as meaning that as soon as he crosses the threshold and enters the room, the caster hits him with blindness. If you want to make the caster make a dex check that's your choice, but by RAW he doesn't have to.

Now he is blind. Can he still continue his charge and hit the enemy (with a 50% loss chance for blindness)? I would call for a Concentration check whose DC is based on the distance he has to go, but I'm not sure again.

Yes, he can continue to charge, but whether he hits anything or not is a different story. Since he's blind the best thing he could really do is charge to where the caster was standing and attack that square, hoping he's still there, and take the 50% miss chance. Assuming he doesn't have some other way of detecting him, of course. Again, as the DM you can choose to make him pass a check if you want, but by RAW there wouldn't be one.

Edit: Note that you can take a 5 foot step as part of a readied action, so the smart thing for the caster to do would be to cast his Blindness spell, then move 5 feet, so that he's not in the same place when the other guy comes up to take a swing.

dps
2011-03-26, 07:32 PM
Moriato has some good suggestions. Another possibility would be for another member of his party to direct him towards an opponent, through verbal instructions if not any other method. You might have to houserule a few things there.

DonEsteban
2011-03-26, 07:56 PM
Moriato got it right. Most of it is described pretty well here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility

If you're talking about a character who is blind permanently, you might want to do a web search for "blind character role playing" or something to get some nice ideas and advice.