PDA

View Full Version : Malconvoker, Those 2 HD

tanderson11
2011-03-26, 04:57 PM
The 8th level ability of the Malconvoker allows them to bind creatures with Greater Planar ally of up to 20 HD. What gems exist in the 19-20 hit die range that are available to Malconvokers only? Not just sheer combat ability, but also by utility.

Current List:
Concordant Killer (MMIV)
Illurien (MMV)

Amiria
2011-03-26, 07:00 PM
That power isn't Malconvoker only. The Infernal Bargainer feat (Races of Faerūn) increases the HD caps of all Planar Binding spells by 2 when calling evil creatures. The feat is Outsider-only, so you'd have to be i.e. a Tiefling.

Having said that, there are also

Balor (MM)
Titan (MM)
Molydeus (FC I)

Aemoh87
2011-03-26, 09:16 PM
Maybe a better question what lies between 19-22 HD?

Also maybe we should list why they are a good choice, since there are alot of outsiders that could be added but most are not all that impressive.

Concordant killer is incredible against all foes (especially it's immunities) and Balor has all sorts of nasty abilities so they defiantly deserve to be on the list.

tanderson11
2011-03-26, 09:47 PM
I agree that we should make this into a comprehensive guide to planar binding for HD 19-22. How is this for a format?

Concordant Killer:

http://guerrerosdesingularidad.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/concordant-killer-by-wayne-reynolds.jpg
The Concordant Killer is an extremely powerful CR 19 monster from Monster Manual IV. These creatures, offspring of both angels and demons, are often the servants of gods. They are especially powerful fighting against aligned monsters. Their trademark concordant greatsword is treated simultaneously as holy, unholy, anarchic, and axiomatic.
Not only does the Concordant killer possess a fleet of immunities (acid, cold, electricity, fire, petrification, and poison), Spell Resistance 30, continuos true seeing, and a maximum potential Armor Class of 43, but they also have a deadly repertoire of spell like abilities. Greater dispel magic, forcecage, greater invisibility, plane shift, wall of force, and mind blank are all available to the Concordant Killer. Their spell like abilities make them an extremely powerful target for Planar Ally Greater as they provide powerful defensive abilities and battlefield control.

I'm hoping for something that looks prettier in the spoiler, but I couldn't settle on anything. Thoughts? Perhaps just a table and a brief description will do?

Greymane
2011-03-26, 10:26 PM
A level 20 Monk.:smallamused:

Alleran
2011-03-26, 10:28 PM
This may answer your questions. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175570)

Runestar
2011-03-27, 04:25 AM
Klurichirs (fiend folio) also have 20 HD, but their stat block is a mess to run.:smallfrown:

Aemoh87
2011-03-27, 04:30 AM
This may answer your questions. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175570)

This does not cover 21-22 HD though.

Runestar
2011-03-27, 04:32 AM
Klurichirs (fiend folio) also have 20 HD, but their stat block is a mess to run.:smallfrown:

Alleran
2011-03-27, 04:44 AM
This does not cover 21-22 HD though.
It has a couple of 21-22 HD creatures that you can bind in there. Granted, it's only for demons (there's one for celestials out there somewhere, but it's unfinished last I saw).