PDA

View Full Version : So I need song choice advice [Shadowrun but all welcome]

Baalthazaq
2011-03-26, 05:13 PM
I'm playing a game and have written a virus.

The virus gets into the commlink (Think PC/iPad/iPhone/GPS/MP3 player, etc all in one).

It does the following:
Scans mails for the latest file sends.
Everyone he has ever sent a file to gets that file resent with a message saying "Sorry, this is the latest version, disregard the previous version", with the virus on top of it.

Anyone in the target's contact list that hasn't been sent a file recently, gets one of the other files sent to it with the message "Sorry, forgot to CC you on this".

It opens up the target's contacts, and mails itself to everyone in it for X iterations.

The payload:
The virus is actually in 5 parts.
1) Covert: Gives an engaged message to any incoming calls.
2) Overt: Plays an MP3 on max volume.
3) Covert: Sound cancellation to minimize outside noise.
4) Covert: Backs up the system to a point right after the virus was installed.
5) Covert: When any 2 actions are performed on the commlink, the third action does not go through, and instead undoes the previous 2 actions.

So. Why? This virus is designed to shut down communications at a given location. Most employees will have contact details of each other, so should spread quickly. I'm expecting to use this as a means of assisting escape from a location should we ever need it.

Commlinks control most things, so if someone starts using theirs to perform actions: 1) Delete overt MP3 virus. 2) Turn on security system. 3) Anything else, then the restore kicks in, reopens the MP3 as a distraction, turns security back off.

The sound cancellation hampers awareness, the engaged message slows communication further.

I'm also trying to get the virus to search for *any* audio out devices and make them play the same song.

My question: What MP3 should play?
Options thus far:

The lyrics fit the virus:
Clash at Demonhead: Black sheep "Hello again, friend of a friend"
Lady Gaga: Telephone
Shakespeare's Sister: Hello "Hello, Hello, Turn your radio on".

Then you have some "If we're using it to escape...."
Bonnie Tyler: I need a hero (In honor of Shrek)
The great escape theme.
Kenny Rogers: The Gambler "Know when to hold em/fold em/walk away/run"
Del Shannon: Runaway
Dion: The Wanderer "Well I'm the type of guy, that likes to roam around, I'm never in one place, I roam from town to town".
George Michael: Lets go outside.
Beatles: Band on the run.
Lauryn Hill: Lost Ones "You might win some, but you just lost one"
Metallica: I disappear
Darryl Worley: Good Day to Run
Nightwish: Escapist

Then some ... erm lets call them ..rebellious songs.
Lily Allen: <Title censored>
Smashing Pumpkins: <Original Title censored> (An ode to no one)
Ween: <Title censored> but it begins with "You".
Pearl Jam: Masters of War (Original Credit to Dylan)
Tool: Ænema "I want to watch it all fall down"

Then some braggy songs:
Queen: We are the champions "We are the champions my friend, we'll keep on fighting till the end"
Mac Davis: It's hard to be humble
Queen: Princes of the Universe "No man can be my equal"
Bryan Adams: We're gonna win
Tool: <Censored> (damn you forum rules you're making this hard!) "Before you point your finger you should know that I'm the man"
Metallica: Better than you.

Then Misc cool songs:
Deep Purple: Burn (or Stormbringer)
Rick Astley: Never Gonna Give You Up
This is the song that never ends
"Patrick Swayze": Henry the 8th
Metallica: Ride the lightning/Blitzkreig/Hero of the Day/King nothing/Fuel

Anything else anyone has? Any ideas for the virus itself?

Another_Poet
2011-03-27, 02:05 AM
First off, ingenius.

Second, I pity the NPC hacker who has to come after you for this.

Last, one actual piece of advice. Since Shadowrun takes place in 2080-something or later, it really makes no sense that the .mp3 it plays is from 2011 or earlier. Gaga's "Telephone" is awesome and all but I doubt it will the hacker's go-to in 70 years. If I were you I would make up a band and song from the 2060s if you are "retro" or the 2080s if you are trendy.

When I last played SR4, our team recorded our own album of experimental noise music with Spirit Journey Formation Anniversary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnug5_h6DJQ) as our theme.

Baalthazaq
2011-03-27, 02:03 PM
Well I know that, and obviously MP3 not necessarily going to be the format, I was just using words that are comprehensible to non shadowrunners. :)

I guess I could say that the thing is a 2070's cover version of X, just because I'd rather use a real song than a "fake" one if you see what I mean. I know it breaks the 4th wall a touch.

.... on the other other hand, I have a couple of friends who are into their music in quite a big way, so I could go around calling in some favours. Might be a fun project imagining the sounds of the 2080s.

dsmiles
2011-03-27, 02:05 PM
I don't know if it fits the virus, but the Daft Punk soundtrack to TRON: Legacy would fit Shadowrun in general.

Baalthazaq
2011-03-30, 06:54 AM
Tron soundtrack a great place to look.

Ideally I'd like something that fits in all categories, but I'm aware that's quite a stretch. Ideally still, if it can have an Elven feel to it, that would rock 1000 times more, simply because the character I'm running is an Elf Poser of sorts. Speaks Elven, listens to elven Music.

So, actually, lets summarise:

I want a song that says:
**** you.
I rule. You suck. Haha.
You can't catch me.
All set to Elven Metal.

.... Nightwish: Escapist suddenly seeming like a good choice actually.

This is who I am
Escapist
Paradise Seeker
Farewell, time to fly
Out of sight
Out of time
Away from all lies

As does Darryl Worley: Good day to run.

Wide open down a two-lane highway
It's about time that some things went my way
Throwin' troubles out to the wind and
prayin' that they never catch up again
I'm gonna say my worryin' days are done
And this looks like a good day to run

I dunno, actually the elven metal seems not funny enough...

Baalthazaq
2011-03-30, 07:06 AM
Adding all the above to the spoiler tag in the first post. Will keep updating the more suggestions I get.

Something else I'm looking for though is other virus ideas. If anyone has any I'd appreciate the help. Keeping in theme of the above, fun, humorous, effective, doesn't *have* to play music unless it adds something, a funny message would do the trick too.

Maybe a virus that scans email for dirty sounding messages, and forwards them to everyone would be fun.

Any virus that forces a reaction that can be exploited.

So on and so forth.

Autolykos
2011-03-30, 08:27 AM
Some more songs - they usually fit in more than one category, so I'm not sorting them:
The Prodigy - Diesel Power
Kraftwerk - Autobahn (Kraftwerk is actually rather popular in our old-school hacker scene)
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
Foo Fighters - The Pretender (watch the video and you'll understand...)
The Offspring - Bloodstains
MC Hammer - Can't Touch This
Dire Straits - Heavy Fuel

Oh, and pretty much any song featured in the Need For Speed series, IMHO especially:
Overseer - Doomsday
Rob Zombie - Two Lane Blacktop
Dynamite MC - After Party

EDIT: If you mainly want to insult your targets, you should probably use some Gangsta Rap (I won't give examples because I mainly know German ones - and most of the titles would probably conflict with the forum rules anyway)

OverdrivePrime
2011-03-30, 08:42 AM
David Bowie *always* fits Shadowrun. In fact, I'm pretty sure the dude is an immortal elf. :smallamused:

Radar
2011-03-30, 09:13 AM
Screw with their heads with something completly bizzare:
1. Baka song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QleyNcziqc0) (it unfortunately looses much of the impact, if you don't understand at least some of the words).
2. Dare to be Stupid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ) by Weird Al Yankovic.
3. I.W.I.W.A.L. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptC9N9YJ24Y) by Loudon Wainright III (weirdness is strong in this one - the actual song starts at 1:08).

If you're slightly cruel, you can throw It's a small world (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxvlKp-76io) at them.

If you feel classy, then Phantom of the Opera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FmGtCIOwB4) would be great (text works in a way with the context).

Cartigan
2011-03-30, 10:13 AM
Random:
Cut Chemist - Spat

Radar
2011-03-30, 10:39 AM
Random:
Cut Chemist - Spat
Random indeed! :smallbiggrin:
In a similar vain, one could use Banana Phone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5C6X9vOEkU) - even if they'll get it out of their phones, it will drill into their heads.

edit: typo. >.<

JonRG
2011-03-30, 11:42 AM
I searched for Elven metal on Google/YouTube, found a band called Elven King. Sadly don't sing in Elvish, but they do have this fantasyish feel to them. Just picked the first song that came up (the Scythe), but it could work for your purposes (it's about Death).

Welcome, please join the fair of failures
Enter into the hall of pleasures
Righteous the act to kill
Wasn't it one of Gods wills?

Leave behind all the trails of winter
The time has come for me to go
The fear has gone, the storm is over
And there's someone at your door

Bolded the stuff I thought could be a good fit for the "I'm awesome, **** you" party line.

As for virus ideas, maybe instead of infesting their comms, something that finds contacts called "Mom"/"Dad" or permutations thereof and sends something really awkward to them. (My first thought was notification of death, but that might be too cruel for your taste :smallamused:)

BRC
2011-03-30, 12:01 PM
Clearly, the answer is Gilbert and Sullivan.

Edit: Or Led Zeppelin: Immigrant Song.

Or the Macarena.

Seerow
2011-03-30, 12:18 PM
While I agree with the person who said this takes place 60 years in the future, so it doesn't make sense to use stuff from current day.

That said, this is just about the most perfect opportunity I can think of for a global Rickroll. Definitely go with "Never Gonna Give You Up" if you're going to pick a current day song.

Radar
2011-03-30, 01:09 PM
While I agree with the person who said this takes place 60 years in the future, so it doesn't make sense to use stuff from current day.
Well, we don't have music from 2080, so it's impossible to avoid. Besides, if we can listen to Elvis or Sinatra, then someone from 2080 can like classical (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tJYN-eG1zk) music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw) as well.

Dross
2011-03-30, 01:23 PM
Nine Inch Nails: The becoming

Lyrics:
I beat my machine it's a part of me it's inside of me
I'm stuck in this dream it's changing me I am becoming
the me that you know he had some second thoughts
he's covered with scabs and he is broken and sore
the me that you know doesn't come around much
that part of me isn't here anymore
all pain disappears it's the nature of my circuitry
drowns out all I hear there's no escape from this my new consciousness
the me that you know used to have feelings
but the blood has stopped pumping and he's left to decay
the me that you know is now made up of wires
and even when I'm right with you I'm so far away
I can try to get away but I’ve strapped myself in
I can try to scratch away the sound in my ears
I can see it killing away all my bad parts
I don't want to listen but it's all too clear

hiding backwards inside of me I feel so unafraid
Annie, hold a little tighter I might just slip away

it won't give up it wants me dead
goddamn this noise inside my head

Cartigan
2011-03-30, 01:28 PM
What is Elven Metal?

Dross
2011-03-30, 01:42 PM
What is Elven Metal?

Its similar to Dwarven Punk, but with less facial hair and beer.

comicshorse
2011-03-30, 01:43 PM
But not as good as Trog Rock

Dross
2011-03-30, 01:47 PM
I'll bet Elven Metal has a pretty strong Jethro Tull influence....you know heavy metal flutes, and what-not.

Cartigan
2011-03-30, 01:52 PM
I'll bet Elven Metal has a pretty strong Jethro Tull influence....you know heavy metal flutes, and what-not.

Why would people make flutes out of lead?