PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e NPC PrC] The PC-Proof Ones (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-03-26, 05:48 PM
The PC-Proof Ones
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2588/3793866841_10041b413b.jpg

"Yeah, some heroes blew into town the other day. Got real frustrated, they did. Said something 'bout the broom not being broke. They didn't break no broom."

-Farmer Johannsen, PC-Proof One

Getting tired of PCs wrecking your game world? Fed up with your "Heroes" leaving a trail of destruction? Does no NPC survive their unwarranted wrath? Then this PrC is for you. Every once in a while, the common people become resistant to their tyrannical overlords. Their "Heroes", if you will. And these common people are smiled upon by the powers that be and are given the power to simply continue existing. They don't abuse their power. They don't seek it. They simply want to be left alone and they are given the ability to continue doing just that. If you throw these guys into your campaign world, I guarantee that your PCs will hate you forever.

Becoming a PC-Proof One
PC-Proof Ones are chosen by the gods, by the universe, or by random phenomena. They almost entirely appear where PCs pass through, but are not ever-present. This includes, but is not limited to, small crossroads towns, areas around large caves, or the castles of small kingdoms. PC-Proof Ones are given their powers and need not have prior knowledge of the existence of PC-Proof Ones. The instance of their blessing can take many forms, though these are always private occurrences, seen by no others. Often they simply wake up one day and find that PC spells have a tendency of missing them.

Entry Requirements
Skills: 8 ranks in at least one skill
Special: May have no class features from other classes. Must have encountered at least one PC who endangered their livelihood, and must have reason to believe such an incident will likely happen again.

Skill points at each level: 2+Intelligence Modifier
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).

Hit Dice: d4

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

1st

+0

+0

+0

+0
PC Resistant

2nd

+1

+0

+0

+0
PC Sense

3rd

+1

+1

+1

+1
PC Evasion

4th

+2

+1

+1

+1
Unshakable

5th

+2

+1

+1

+1
Resistant Property

6th

+3

+2

+2

+2
Avoidance

7th

+3

+2

+2

+2
Improved PC Evasion

8th

+4

+2

+2

+2
Not Around

9th

+4

+3

+3

+3
Not Dead Yet

10th

+5

+3

+3

+3
PC Proof

PC Resistant: At first level PC-Proof Ones gain the ability to avoid PC destruction. PC-Resistant Ones gain a Dodge Bonus to AC, and an Insight Bonus to all Saves equal to their class level. These bonuses only apply against attacks or spells cast by PCs or creatures summoned by them.

PC Sense: At second level PC-Proof Ones gain the ability to sense the presence of nearby PCs. They know whether or not there are PCs within Class Level X 200 ft, the direction in which the PCs are within Class Level X 100 ft, the number of PCs within Class Level X 50 ft, and lastly the exactly location of PCs within Class Level X 25 ft.

PC Evasion: PC-Proof Ones of 3rd level and higher suffer no ill effects from any spell cast by a PC for which they have succeeded the save, even if they would usually still be subject to a lessened effect.

Unshakable: No. Just no. PC-Resistant Ones gain the ability to hold firm in their beliefs against all PC opposition, starting at level 4. The DC of all Diplomacy Checks made by PCs against them is increased by twice the PC-Proof One's Class Level, and the person to persuade them must have a valid point. This bonus also applies to Sense Motive checks made against PCs.

Resistant Property: PCs have a tendency to break stuff. And to burn stuff. They're a big fan of the burning. Starting at level 5, PC-Proof Ones bestow some of their resistance upon their property. Any items owned by a PC-Proof One act strangely when destroyed or damaged by a PC. Namely, they revert to their prior form (what they were like prior to PC intervention) after an amount of time up to the PPO's Class Level Squared X 10 Minutes. This time can be shortened as a free action by the PPO. This can mean that PCs can completely trash a PPO's house, then when they come by again, it's like nothing happened. If a Resistant Item is destroyed PPO's Class Level/2 times by a single PC or group of PCs, it does not revert. As an added bonus, PCs must make a search check at DC 10+2 X PPO Class Level the first time they reach for an item they had stolen from any PPO. If they fail, they lost the item which somehow ends up back in the possession of the PPO.

Avoidance: The best method to avoid PC trouble is to simply not be there when the blow lands. PPO's of 6th level and higher gain the ability to cast Dimension Door once per day as a spell-like ability with a CL equal to 5+PPO Class Level as an immediate action.

Improved PC Evasion: As PC Evasion, but on a failed save, you take the lessened effect, if any. Otherwise, the spell works as normal.

Not Around: What if you can not be in the place at all? You know when the PCs would come in contact with you and where, as far out as one day per class level, starting at 8th level.

Not Dead Yet: You gain an ability similar to that of your property. If you are slain by a PC after achieving level 9 in this class, you have a tendency to come back after a short space of time. It often turns out that they missed your heart, didn't really decapitate you, or only pulled our your gallbladder instead of your stomach. After an amount of time up to Class Level Hours, you simply sit back up as if you had taken no damage from the PCs. This does not cause level loss. If you are killed by the same PC or group of PCs more than three times, you stay dead, but can be resurrected normally. As an added bonus, you can choose to be subjected to Disguise Self at CL 5+PPO immediately after "Recovering".

PC Proof: PCs don't notice you. Unless they are specifically looking for you, are especially alert, or have been in some way affected by you in the last 10 minutes, you are treated as if you are Invisible to all PCs. They can't bother you if they don't know that you're there to be bothered. Alternatively, you can choose to be constantly under the effect of Disguise Self in such a way that you look like an imposing figure, with accompanying armor (all of which is, as usual, an illusion). Who's going to steal from a retired Epic-Level Barbarian? Both of the these effects are at CL 5+PPO Class Level.

Note: For the terms of this class, villains and their minions count as PCs as well. So do the followers, cohorts, mounts, familiars, and animal companions of PCs.

Kallisti
2011-03-26, 11:22 PM
I am so stealing this for an upcoming campaign.

...although maybe not, since that campaign may nor may not be D&D.

Either way, I like it.

The-Mage-King
2011-03-26, 11:30 PM
Looks nice.

Just... One little problem.

Special: May have no class features whatsoever.

They lose their class features when they take their first level in this class, and gain them when they lose them, losing them again.

Put "before taking their first level in this class", and it eliminates the issue.

Fable Wright
2011-03-26, 11:37 PM
...If you run one, eventually the PCs are going to hunt down and kill every PC-proof person on the planet. Despite that being impossible. Nothing can be made PC-proof forever.

That said, the PC-proof still stand a chance, which is saying something.

Welknair
2011-03-27, 12:08 AM
Looks nice.

Just... One little problem.

They lose their class features when they take their first level in this class, and gain them when they lose them, losing them again.

Put "before taking their first level in this class", and it eliminates the issue.

Thank you, fixed. So, I've decided to be a more active homebrewer, expanding beyond my monstrous Magitech system into some more normal(ish) projects. Hence this.

invinible
2011-03-27, 03:09 PM
So is this an npc only class?

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-27, 03:13 PM

It does say NPC Prestige Class in the title.

Are Cohorts/Mounts etc. counted as PCs?

Welknair
2011-03-27, 07:21 PM

It does say NPC Prestige Class in the title.

Are Cohorts/Mounts etc. counted as PCs?

Check the entry requirements. I know of no PCs without any class abilities. Cohorts/followers/mounts work as long as they have no class abilities.

Kobold-Bard
2011-03-28, 09:14 AM
Check the entry requirements. I know of no PCs without any class abilities. Cohorts/followers/mounts work as long as they have no class abilities.

I meant do they count as PC's for the PC-Proof's abilities? If not then the Paladin's horse can still see him etc.

Welknair
2011-03-28, 04:34 PM
Oh! I'll add a clause, yes they do.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-25, 09:57 AM
PC-Proof bbeg~ :smallcool:
Though the requirements are... lame. Any npc by fifth level is gonna have some specials and an actual class level or two+.

Welknair
2011-07-25, 10:01 AM
PC-Proof bbeg~ :smallcool:
Though the requirements are... lame. Any npc by fifth level is gonna have some specials and an actual class level or two+.

Well the idea was to make characters that just wanted to be left alone by the NPCs. The BBEG likely doesn't fall into that. Well I guess he might... Then again, if you made a PC-Proof BBEG I think your players would strangle you.

dethkruzer
2011-07-25, 10:48 AM
I've seen homebrew that gives the ability to break the fourth wall, but I don't think I've ever seen a class that let's you break the fourth wall simply by existing. Nice job man, i might even use this.

Welknair
2011-07-25, 11:09 AM
I've seen homebrew that gives the ability to break the fourth wall, but I don't think I've ever seen a class that let's you break the fourth wall simply by existing. Nice job man, i might even use this.

:smallbiggrin:

Make sure to use them sparingly. The idea is to amuse the players, not frustrate them to the point that they quit. Both are easily possible with this class.

Yitzi
2011-07-25, 01:58 PM
Intriguing idea, although it'd take some work to modify it for a game that respects the 4th wall (in other words, there is no such thing as a PC or primary villain as far as in-game logic is concerned.)

Welknair
2011-07-25, 02:03 PM
Intriguing idea, although it'd take some work to modify it for a game that respects the 4th wall (in other words, there is no such thing as a PC or primary villain as far as in-game logic is concerned.)

Very true. I'd probably refluff it as an individual that avoids those individuals that most often cause trouble - those of level 5 and above. It's simple and easy. And it doesn't work properly under a lot of circumstances. Like for PCs below 5th level or NPCs above it. Perhaps the abilities would apply to CN individuals above 3rd? Hm. That'd work for most PCs, but not so for villains. Yeah, it'd need some work.