PDA

View Full Version : Plot/Plot-hooks You Enjoy

Xanmyral
2011-03-26, 05:56 PM
As said in the title, I wonder what everyone here enjoys in a plot, or a plot-hook. Are you entertained by certain types, are you picky, or do you just like 'em all? Do you have favorites types, or have a personal favorite plot/plot-hook you have done? This thread is for mostly passing time and entertainment, so discuss and enjoy.

I would have to say my personal favorite for plots would be the ever so cliched dragging one up from the muck plots. There is just something awesome I see in climbing up a mountain of hardships, your fingers bloody, and when getting to the top giving the BBEG a haymaker. So situations where it is somewhat similar to this are often enjoyable, e.g. in a prison with all your stuff gone, being set back badly by [insert BBEG here] and having to get your revenge, etc. I also tend to enjoy lower level plays because of this.

dsmiles
2011-03-26, 06:02 PM
Anything other than "Kill the monsters, get the phat lootz." :smallamused:

GeminiVeil
2011-03-26, 06:27 PM

+1, although on certain days where life has just kicked me when I'm down, I don't mind a little "kill the monsters, get the phat lootz." :smallsmile:

*.*.*.*
2011-03-26, 06:44 PM
I personally love starting off in a prison cell. Then again, I am an Elder Scrolls fan:smallwink:

Vemynal
2011-03-26, 07:00 PM
^- made of win

Comet
2011-03-26, 07:26 PM

When given some thought, that kind of story can really turn into something awesome.

Think Roadside Picnic but with monsters in addition to weird deathtraps and all around craziness.

What can make a corner of the world unhospitable in a way that only the insane dare to venture within? What do people stand to gain by exploiting said place and where can they find madmen both brave and self destructive enough to do the legwork and actually run in and out without a second thought (possibly multiple times)? And, most importantly, how do these madmen fit into the world outside of said deathzone and can they come to terms with themselves and abandon the thrill or self-deception of the treasure hunt before it claims their lives?

And even if one doesn't want to use the premise for character studies and other such stuff, the actual dungeon dive itself can be a lot of hectic fun. Plan everything out, gather up supplies, kick in the door and watch in horror as all your plans are trashed into a hundred little pieces and you are left alone in an unforgiving, dark place. What comes first, survival or the loot? What if you can't leave the loot behind, due to a debt or other circumstance? How much silver can you carry without it affecting your chances of survival?

When it comes to fantasy, I really like the prospects of danger and uncertainty that dungeon raiding brings. It's a shame that the stereotypical Dungeons and Dragons scenario doesn't go beyond the "this room is 6x6 squares large, it is dimly lit, there are exits to the north and the south and there are 1d6 goblins in the middle of the room" boringness :smallbiggrin:

The_JJ
2011-03-26, 07:33 PM
I've always been fond of the Mr. Johnson method. So, flexible, so many ways to play it. Is he honest? Trying to screw you over? Are you trying to do the same to him? What's his angle? If we only get 50% of the take, but he's not there when we get the take, it's not really cheating to skim off 20%, right? Right?

It's a great way to get a game up into the midgame, though if you're going for 'world ending plots' you've basically got to meld it into something else. Which it does admirably, it's just not, you know, a Mr. Johnson plot after that.

Err... Mr. Johnson is Shadowrunner slang for 'guy who hires independent contractors for specialized skills' but Mr. Johnson can work in just about any setting.

valadil
2011-03-26, 09:57 PM
I'm fond of plot hooks that appeal to a specific character instead of to anyone who claims to be an adventurer. It shows that the GM is actually interested in the characters the players chose to play and won't be treating them like generics.

Crow
2011-03-26, 11:20 PM
I've always been fond of the Mr. Johnson method. So, flexible, so many ways to play it. Is he honest? Trying to screw you over? Are you trying to do the same to him? What's his angle? If we only get 50% of the take, but he's not there when we get the take, it's not really cheating to skim off 20%, right? Right?

It's a great way to get a game up into the midgame, though if you're going for 'world ending plots' you've basically got to meld it into something else. Which it does admirably, it's just not, you know, a Mr. Johnson plot after that.

Err... Mr. Johnson is Shadowrunner slang for 'guy who hires independent contractors for specialized skills' but Mr. Johnson can work in just about any setting.

Best and worst part about being a shadowrunner? Your johnson is always getting you into trouble. *rimshot!*

Lord Raziere
2011-03-26, 11:39 PM
@ *.*.*: you like starting off in a cell? good, I've got a campaign idea that starts in that, but after that it depends on how you answer this question: do you like overthrowing evil governments?

other than that....I guess I'd try to make it storylike as possible,I'm more of a fluff and storyteller person than a mechanics guy, so I could probably spin any tale I like out of anything, even the generic tavern meet up....then suddenly I'd do something completely unexpected.

I also have an Eberron idea where the PCs all meet each other because they were hired to be bodyguards on an airship- but then sky pirates attack and they cause the ship to crash.

*.*.*.*
2011-03-27, 12:07 AM
@ *.*.*: you like starting off in a cell? good, I've got a campaign idea that starts in that, but after that it depends on how you answer this question: do you like overthrowing evil governments?
Yes I do, although I've never got to do so. I've always liked the idea though

Marillion
2011-03-27, 12:10 AM
Personally, I love the BBEG who is untouchable, not because of overwhelming physical power, but through social clout.

Bonus point if he's the head of your family.

I'll get you one day, Uncle Jose. :smallmad:

skaxophone
2011-03-27, 02:29 PM
My DM once based an entire campaign on this hook:
Bandits are attacking trains. In order to find them and stop them, you need to stay on the rails at all times.
It was actually a lot of fun

Tengu_temp
2011-03-27, 03:02 PM

Really? I can think of many, many unpleasant and/or boring plothooks that don't fit this cliche but are still terrible.

RelentlessImp
2011-03-27, 03:05 PM
"Many apologies, adventurers, but the goal you sought to find in this castle is not here. It was absconded by Lord Dalwart the moment you breached the gate, and he fell back to his estate on the Plains of Mordor to prepare against your coming once again."

...Or:

"I'm sorry, heroes, but our princess is in another castle!"

Amnestic
2011-03-27, 09:01 PM
Take down the evil government and restore the city/country to the rightful rulers. Got a soft spot for Resistance groups. Bonus marks if the Evil government turns out to be Neutral-on-the-inside.

Lord Raziere
2011-03-27, 10:28 PM
Take down the evil government and restore the city/country to the rightful rulers. Got a soft spot for Resistance groups.

my idea is like that.....but with monstrous races and turning it over the good guy orcs/goblins/hobgoblins once the evil ones are overthrown, thus being an adventurer group that redeems evil races through rebellion.

Firechanter
2011-03-28, 06:09 PM
"Kill things and take their stuff!"

Srsly, what I'd really like to play some time would be a, ahem, "construction and management game", where the party has to build up a town/castle/base of operations, manage NPC workforce, clear obstacles, find resources, all that kind of thing.
Unfortunately, none of my current co-players is interested in that. :(

dsmiles
2011-03-28, 06:32 PM
"Kill things and take their stuff!"

Srsly, what I'd really like to play some time would be a, ahem, "construction and management game", where the party has to build up a town/castle/base of operations, manage NPC workforce, clear obstacles, find resources, all that kind of thing.
Unfortunately, none of my current co-players is interested in that. :(
I actually ended up running one of these for some friends. It started off as a standard-issue "save the world" game, but one guy bought an inn, and we just went with it.

Asarlai
2011-03-28, 06:45 PM
Take down the evil government and restore the city/country to the rightful rulers. Got a soft spot for Resistance groups. Bonus marks if the Evil government turns out to be Neutral-on-the-inside.

"I am here to kill you and restore the rightful king!"

"Why? Have you seen how this place runs now? Yeah, sure, I had to kill most of the army to take power, but now things are much safer, and there's actually someone competent running the country. I mean, really, that spoiled kid? Ha, never should have been king."

"But he is king by right! You are the murderous usurper, and you will pay for your crime."

"Why is he king by right? Why does anyone else have the 'right' to rule over everyone else by the virtue of their birth? I was born a commoner, so I know what people go through. I led an army, so I know the realities of war and won't go rushing into it for 'glory.' I wasn't pampered all my life, and I'm making the place run efficiently, as I'm sure you can see. So please, tell me, why should the spoiled idiot be returned to the throne? Why does one person have any more right than any other?"

"Uh..."

Marillion
2011-03-28, 07:11 PM
"Why is he king by right? Why does anyone else have the 'right' to rule over everyone else by the virtue of their birth?

"For I am a King...Ordained by GOD!":smallwink: (http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Daily-Movie-Quote-The-Man-in-the-Iron-Mask)

Lord Raziere
2011-03-28, 07:15 PM
....then of course the current king then challenges you to right of combat in a duel to the death, kicks the spoiled princes ass then says
"Looks like god ordains me now"
then beheads the spoiled idiot. :smalltongue:

Marillion
2011-03-28, 07:27 PM
Alternatively, the spoiled kings Lawful Neutral bodyguard accepts the challenge on his Liege's behalf (A king does not fight for himself!), and then it could go either way :smalltongue:

Asarlai
2011-03-28, 07:28 PM
Alternatively, the spoiled kings Lawful Neutral bodyguard accepts the challenge on his Liege's behalf (A king does not fight for himself!), and then it could go either way :smalltongue:

Then the new king would find someone better to fight for him.