PDA

View Full Version : New adventure, need advice

Lothalis
2011-03-26, 09:48 PM
Hello,

I have been playing 3.5 for many years now as a DM...although I haven't done that in about 5 years. I haven't played as a player for well over 7 years and now I am being thrust back into the role of player.

To be honest I am quite lost.

I have the following rolls 17,15,16,14,14,18

There is a catfolk bard, dragonborn paladin and a dwarf archivist.

I was thinking of either Ninja or Wizard and cant for the life of me make up my mind.

if anyone out there has any advice I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:
I am used to playing bards and clerics, and wanna move out of my comfort zone

Noneoyabizzness
2011-03-26, 11:21 PM
Scout dfa or warlock

Warlock and dfa nonopt are fun. Opted they are scary efficient

Scouts give a very unbard feel.

Fable Wright
2011-03-26, 11:51 PM
So, you recently buffed the rest of the party, and now you want to try something new? Given your rolls, you have the option to be awesome in almost anything you want to try. Perhaps try Sorcerer into Mage of the Arcane Order (taking the Arcane Preperation feat): You can choose which spells you want, when you want them, for the upcoming battles. It's like Wizard, but with less spell slots and more versatility.

Alternatively, play a ninja/wizard gish. Ninja 4/Wizard 2/Swiftblade 5/Anything else X.

You don't wear armor anyway, you now have Sudden Strike damage, which you can make use of with the Players Handbook II variant that lets you teleport 10ft as an immediate action. That, and other swift/free action teleports allow you to actually get your sudden strike damage off, pump yourself with buffs/kill everything, and Be A Ninja. And a Wizard. Who can do stuff.

Sacrieur
2011-03-27, 02:55 AM
Scout dfa or warlock

Warlock and dfa nonopt are fun. Opted they are scary efficient

Scouts give a very unbard feel.

Warlocks are tier 4... And no fun to play.

---

If you want to move out of your comfort zone, then maybe a gish. Gishes take a lot of optimizing though. You could play a straight up wizard or Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker. Or if you really want something fancy then hit up homebrew if your DM will let you. There's some nice classes like Revolver Mage or the Swiftblade lurking in there that are both balanced and fun to play.

Lothalis
2011-03-27, 07:19 AM
DM of darkness, you hit the nail on the head. If i had bad rolls it would have been easier to decide...

The multi ninja/wiz sounds like a good idea, i may do that but why not nin/sorc?

Fable Wright
2011-03-27, 07:34 AM
DM of darkness, you hit the nail on the head. If i had bad rolls it would have been easier to decide...

The multi ninja/wiz sounds like a good idea, i may do that but why not nin/sorc?

That could also work. Usually most builds would throw in a class to build on Cha synergy, though, so keep that in mind, and you wouldn't get teleport as an immediate action. Also, I miscalculated the level- you would need either a level of fighter (probably with thug (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug) and sneak attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighter) variants) before entering, but that's not really a bad deal, gaining the last point of BAB needed and sneak attack damage. Or another two levels of Ninja or Wizard, your choice.

Lothalis
2011-03-27, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the help!