PDA

View Full Version : Illithid Savants and the Tarrasque

Alleran
2011-03-26, 11:09 PM
You have a hypothetical Illithid Savant who consumes the brain of a Tarrasque. By doing this, it gains the (Ex) Regeneration special quality. This may seem to be a stupid question, but does the Illithid Savant also gain the "Regeneration 40" part of the Regen (i.e. 40hp/round), or does it only gain the "no form of attack deals lethal damage" part?

Additionally, am I correct in assuming that by combining the Tarrasque's regeneration (immunity to nonlethal attacks) and Construct traits (immunity to nonlethal damage), you basically become immune to damage? After all, only nonlethal damage can actually hurt you... and you're immune to it anyway.

Ernir
2011-03-26, 11:29 PM
By my reading... The "40" is a part of the Tarrasque's Regeneration Special Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#regeneration). So you'd get that too, even if the amount is only spelled out in the stat block, and not repeated in the text.

It is indeed very hard to kill something that has both the Tarrasque's Regeneration and immunity to nonlethal damage.
But note that getting the traits of the construct type means you lose your Constitution score, which again means you lose your Regeneration. You want some other way to get nonlethal damage immunity.

Illithid Savants are kind of crazy, have you noticed?

Alleran
2011-03-26, 11:38 PM
But note that getting the traits of the construct type means you lose your Constitution score, which again means you lose your Regeneration. You want some other way to get nonlethal damage immunity.
Absorb the "Construct Perfection I" of a 2nd level Warforged Juggernaut from Eberron, then? Immunity to nonlethal damage, and it isn't technically providing the construct type, just some of the traits of the type.

It is indeed very hard to kill something that has both the Tarrasque's Regeneration and immunity to nonlethal damage.
Very hard, but not impossible? How would you go about it?

Illithid Savants are kind of crazy, have you noticed?
Oh yes. I was planning for one to serve as the BBEG once, but when I realised how scary they'd be if played well (and I always try and play intelligent opponents as intelligent), I didn't think the PCs would survive it.

Doggie_arf
2011-03-27, 11:17 AM
Ummm, how does a mind flayer eat a warforged's brain?

Do warforged even have brains in a form that a mind flayer can consume in the first place?

The mind boggles. You might need to find another way to get that tasty immunity, unless illithids in your world happen to like eating wood and metal for some strange reason........maybe a True Mind Switch?

Alleran
2011-03-27, 06:14 PM
Do warforged even have brains in a form that a mind flayer can consume in the first place?
They have robot brains. Like the Terminator, except magic. :smallcool:

Thurbane
2011-03-27, 08:06 PM
I hope the Savant that chows down on Big T's brain has a lot of papadams.

JeminiZero
2011-03-27, 09:08 PM
The link in my signature might be of interest.

Anyway to answer the question at hand: Immunity to non-lethal damage is rather difficult to obtain. Ferocity on the other hand is rather easy and has virtually the same effect (you still take non-lethal damage, but you are not KO'ed if it brings your HP below 0). Eat a boar or Dire Boar's brain.

No brains
2011-03-27, 10:50 PM
I believe the sage advice column stated that warforged do have brains that can be eaten by mind flayers with fatal implications.