PDA

View Full Version : The Only

t209
2011-03-26, 11:17 PM
Do u think I am....
the only one who was born on new year (jan 1st)!

Kallisti
2011-03-26, 11:19 PM
Statistically speaking, I highly doubt it. It is, after all, just another day.

That said, that's kind of neat. How do you handle birthday festivities?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2011-03-26, 11:24 PM
Well, according to gitp birthday thread both enigmatime and Krrth were also born on this day, as was one of my RL friends.

Everyone may be hungover if you have your party on the 1st though :smalltongue:

bluewind95
2011-03-26, 11:24 PM
No. And there's at least two more here in the forums.

factotum
2011-03-26, 11:40 PM
I think the rule is that if you gather more than about 30 people in the same place the odds are that two of them will share a birthday. Furthermore, the odds of being born on January 1st are 1 in 365 (unless it's a leap year), and I think there are a lot more people than that on these forums!

Haruki-kun
2011-03-27, 12:51 AM
I think the rule is that if you gather more than about 30 people in the same place the odds are that two of them will share a birthday. Furthermore, the odds of being born on January 1st are 1 in 365 (unless it's a leap year), and I think there are a lot more people than that on these forums!

:smallconfused:

The odds of that are pretty low, I think. With 30, anyway.

Temotei
2011-03-27, 01:42 AM
One of my friends was born on the 1st of January. She's a cool one.

Kumori
2011-03-27, 02:10 AM
:smallconfused:

The odds of that are pretty low, I think. With 30, anyway.

Actually, the odds are surprisingly high... With 30 people, it's about a 70.6% chance that at least 2 will share a birthday (year notwithstanding).

Partof1
2011-03-27, 02:20 AM
Yeah, with 40, it goes up to like 80 something. that's because, with 40 people, there are like 700 pairs you can make.

Goosefeather
2011-03-27, 03:33 AM
Actually, the birthday thing, though counterintuitive, does make sense once you check out the maths (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem) involved :smalltongue:

Elm11
2011-03-28, 12:14 AM
My uncle, two of my friends, and my old geography teacher were all born on the 1st January. Statistically speaking, there will be more than 18.4 million people in the world born on January the first. That's almost the entire population of Australia, or the combined sums of New York and LA.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-28, 08:16 PM
everyone in australia was born on new years day.

everything makes sense now.

except the lack of capital letters in this post

where did the capital letters go

now the punctuation is gone
andnowthespacesbetweenwordsisgonewhatdoidoohnooooo

Emperor Ing
2011-03-28, 08:19 PM
Certainly not. My brother was born on that day, and from my experience, it's the single most common day for birthdays. Statistically the actual plurality may be false, but that's just from my observations. :smalltongue:

RebelRogue
2011-03-28, 08:19 PM
The math is correct. It's a good example of proabability theory providing surprising, counterintuituve results.

enigmatime
2011-03-28, 10:24 PM
Yay! I'm not the only one! Then again, a fellow classmate of mine is also born on the first of January (same year too).

Elm11
2011-03-29, 12:38 AM
everyone in australia was born on new years day.

everything makes sense now.

except the lack of capital letters in this post

where did the capital letters go

now the punctuation is gone
andnowthespacesbetweenwordsisgonewhatdoidoohnooooo

I'm terrible at understanding whether you're joking, so i'll explain that i meant the equivilant of most of Australia.

Knaight
2011-03-30, 03:28 AM
Actually, the birthday thing, though counterintuitive, does make sense once you check out the maths (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem) involved :smalltongue:
I wouldn't call it counter intuitive at all.

Icewalker
2011-03-30, 03:35 AM
Certainly not. My brother was born on that day, and from my experience, it's the single most common day for birthdays. Statistically the actual plurality may be false, but that's just from my observations. :smalltongue:

Because it is a notable birthday, people will mention it more often, and you will remember it more often. That's probably what would cause this impression.

Shyftir
2011-03-30, 03:44 AM
More interesting is whether you share a birthday with anyone specific.

((I barely missed being born on the same day as Hitler!) Different year of course.)

Knaight
2011-03-30, 04:28 AM
More interesting is whether you share a birthday with anyone specific.

((I barely missed being born on the same day as Hitler!) Different year of course.)

Pretty much everyone does, and for someone famous, its just a matter of degree. Having the same birthday as Martin Luther King (I missed that one by two days. :smallannoyed:) is more memorable than having the same birthday as, say, Stephen King (Or it will be soon enough), but there have been a lot of famous people.

Mystic Muse
2011-03-30, 11:15 AM
I'm terrible at understanding whether you're joking, so i'll explain that i meant the equivilant of most of Australia.

He's definitely joking.

Goosefeather
2011-03-30, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't call it counter intuitive at all.

Well, most people's first reaction upon hearing that you only need 23 people in a group for a 50% probability that at least 2 share a birthday is 'what? that can't be right!' Heck, it's even referred to as 'the birthday paradox'.

If you don't find it counterintuitive at first, you probably have a reasonably extensive understanding of the theory involved - but then you're not using intuition on the problem, but experience, so I'd say yes, the use of the word 'counterintuitive' is definitely justified :smalltongue:

Knaight
2011-03-30, 05:29 PM
Well, most people's first reaction upon hearing that you only need 23 people in a group for a 50% probability that at least 2 share a birthday is 'what? that can't be right!' Heck, it's even referred to as 'the birthday paradox'.

If you don't find it counterintuitive at first, you probably have a reasonably extensive understanding of the theory involved - but then you're not using intuition on the problem, but experience, so I'd say yes, the use of the word 'counterintuitive' is definitely justified :smalltongue:

I've heard both "what?" and "that many?". That said I know a lot of people for whom probability and statistics make intuitive sense.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-30, 05:41 PM
He's definitely joking.

Aye. Kyuu has it in one. :smallwink:

LOTRfan
2011-03-30, 05:48 PM
You share a birthday with my dad.

So, yeah, you're not the only one. :smallwink:

t209
2011-03-30, 11:52 PM
Here's one unique thing!
1. I am from Burma
2. I came to America When michael jackson died. (June 25th 2009)

Serpentine
2011-03-31, 12:30 AM
I actually have doubts about the "1 in 365 chance of being born on any one day" idea. Not to say I think the difference is especially significant, but I suspect that, at least for particular portions of the world population, certain months have more or fewer birthdays in them, presumably thanks to certain events 9 months before them. I have no data to back that up, though, except that in early modern England a spike in births can be dated to 9 months after certain festivals.

Vonriel
2011-03-31, 12:34 AM
Like how there should be a disproportionately high number of births in the, say, August-October region in the United States? Brings a whole new level of 'blech' when you start to think about what was roughly 9 months before you were born, though, if you ask me...

Serpentine
2011-03-31, 12:42 AM
Yeah, something like that. Except I tend to notice an apparent July-August spike, and there isn't anything special around 9 months before that. August-September is Christmasish, though...

Vonriel
2011-03-31, 12:52 AM
And New Years' Eve. I wonder what YOUR parents were doing that, night, eh? :smallamused:

It is weird that July seems to have a spike.. going through school, I remembered more people with August-October birthdays than not, and very few shared my July birthday. Hrmm, October/November are right about the time Summer/Winter start for the respective hemispheres, right? Maybe people are happy to be out of the house or bored out of their minds about that time, respectively. Either are good excuses to find something to do. :smallamused:

Serpentine
2011-03-31, 12:54 AM
My parents? Not conceiving me. I'm a May baby :smalltongue:

edit: Here's (http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/baby-month-is-almost-here--0976/) some statistics for the US. But this (http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=POP&f=tableCode:55) appears to be all UN data on the subject. Looks like July-September was the peak for Australia last year.

Knaight
2011-03-31, 05:45 PM
My parents? Not conceiving me. I'm a May baby :smalltongue:

edit: Here's (http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/baby-month-is-almost-here--0976/) some statistics for the US. But this (http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?d=POP&f=tableCode:55) appears to be all UN data on the subject. Looks like July-September was the peak for Australia last year.

Running the numbers for that would be a pain. That said, I can confidentially estimate that 25 or fewer people would be needed for that distribution.

t209
2011-04-01, 06:09 PM
Here's one unique thing!
1. I am from Burma
2. I came to America When michael jackson died. (June 25th 2009)

Not only it is about my birthday date, but also for the above description!

bluewind95
2011-04-02, 12:55 AM
Not only it is about my birthday date, but also for the above description!

I assure you. You're not the only one.