PDA

View Full Version : how do i safely use pyrotechnics? (pathfinder, but its the same in 3.5)

adecoy95
2011-03-27, 01:25 AM
im trying to find a way to safely use pyrotechnics. the radius is downright massive (120 foot radius!!!), and it seems to be quite dangerous to use, as it will blind everyone!

sculpt spell is not in pathfinder, unfortunately, and selective spell is only for instants.

any advice would be appreciated!

Irreverent Fool
2011-03-27, 02:25 AM
Have your friends close their eyes before you cast or otherwise avoid line of sight. In 3.5, at least, the spell calls out:

This effect causes creatures within 120 feet of the fire source to become blinded for 1d4+1 rounds (Will negates). These creatures must have line of sight to the fire to be affected.

Since a character can close its eyes to avoid medusas' gaze attacks, I don't see why they couldn't avoid the pyrotechnics, too.

adecoy95
2011-03-27, 02:31 AM
Have your friends close their eyes before you cast or otherwise avoid line of sight. In 3.5, at least, the spell calls out:

Since a character can close its eyes to avoid medusas' gaze attacks, I don't see why they couldn't avoid the pyrotechnics, too.
Gaze:
The opponent avoids looking at the
creature’s face, instead looking at its body, watching
its shadow, tracking it in a reflective surface, etc. Each
round, the opponent has a 50% chance to avoid having to
make a saving throw against the gaze attack. The creature
with the gaze attack, however, gains concealment against
that opponent.

you can also wear a blindfold, but thats not quite a solution

its effectively a flash-bang grenade. its going to put the whole room into a bright dazzling light seems tough to avoid. i guess i could ask the dm tho.

i am still looking for any other suggestions tho.

can i cast this spell on a fire i don't have LOS to? even if its my own flaming sphere? cause if so i could use doorways to try to "flashlight" the blast.

Kuma Kode
2011-03-27, 02:45 AM
If the spell has a "Target" line you must have line of sight and line of effect to the target. In this case, you must be able to see the fire and must not have any interposing barriers (technically even glass will block your line of effect, despite being able to see the target).

If the spell has an "Effect" line, you need only line of effect (you can fire a spell with the "Effect: Ray" line into darkness in the hopes of hitting an enemy, for instance).

adecoy95
2011-03-27, 02:48 AM
If the spell has a "Target" line you must have line of sight and line of effect to the target. In this case, you must be able to see the fire and must not have any interposing barriers (technically even glass will block your line of effect, despite being able to see the target).

If the spell has an "Effect" line, you need only line of effect (you can fire a spell with the "Effect: Ray" line into darkness in the hopes of hitting an enemy, for instance).

ah, i understand.

are there any magic items in pathfinder that can negate the effect of the flash?

NNescio
2011-03-27, 04:13 AM
Is it possible to... well, cast pyrotechnics on a bullseye lantern? Assuming that the lantern's body itself blocks LoS/LoE, you can cast from its front instead and leave your friends unharmed.

Alternatively, tower shields would also work.

adecoy95
2011-03-27, 11:22 AM
Is it possible to... well, cast pyrotechnics on a bullseye lantern? Assuming that the lantern's body itself blocks LoS/LoE, you can cast from its front instead and leave your friends unharmed.

Alternatively, tower shields would also work.

a bullseye lantern! thats an awesome idea!

Gamer Girl
2011-03-27, 11:47 AM
Flash. It is easy enough to set up a code word to tell everyone to close their eyes/look away from the fire. When the mage says 'Bunny!", everyone knows what to do.

You can also cast it on an enemies fire, such as a campfire, lantern or torch.

Also, if your ambushed at your camp, having blinded characters for a couple rounds is better then being dead characters.

For the smoke, you general don't want to cast Pyrotechnics on top of yourself. It's more for casting on the bad guys campfire or fire source. Cast it on their campfire and then take shots at them as they stumble out of the cloud.

The smoke cloud also makes a deadly combo with blind fighting.

The Tough guy Trick-The penalties are not that bad. A high wisdom person(say a cleric with Owl's wisdom) will make their flash save and not be effected. Or if they have SR.

Plus fighter types can resits the smoke with a fort save, and just fight blind.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-03-27, 06:53 PM
a bullseye lantern! thats an awesome idea!You'd still get blindness to the face though.

Worira
2011-03-27, 07:38 PM
Cast continual flame inside bullseye lantern, use with pyrotechnics to create 120 foot blinding cone.

You'd still get blindness to the face though.

You don't have line of sight to the inside of a bullseye lantern unless you're within the area it releases light to.

adecoy95
2011-03-27, 07:59 PM
You don't have line of sight to the inside of a bullseye lantern unless you're within the area it releases light to.

so what your saying is, i would have to blind myself in the face to be able to do this?

im starting to think that, even tho pyrotechnics is awesome, and i would love to try my hand at using flaming spheres billowing smoke all over a room wherever they roll, the flash-bang effect is quite difficult to do safely. in the dnd games i play its usually just big square rooms with monsters needing chopping.

i guess i will just pick up the infinitely less interesting glitterdust and pick up obscuring mist on my 1st level spell slots.

i could try asking the dm if he would let me grab sculpt spell from the complete arcane, even if its not pathfinder, but i dont think he will go for it.

if i was a wizard this would be easy peezy, but as a sorceror i have to pick my spells carefully :smallsigh:

as i said before tho, suggestions are welcome and i would really like to make it work.

Worira
2011-03-27, 08:03 PM
No, what I'm saying is that you wouldn't have to blind yourself to use it.

adecoy95
2011-03-27, 08:13 PM
No, what I'm saying is that you wouldn't have to blind yourself to use it.

ah ok, i understand, ill try it next week and see how it turns out

NNescio
2011-03-27, 08:25 PM
so what your saying is, i would have to blind myself in the face to be able to do this?

im starting to think that, even tho pyrotechnics is awesome, and i would love to try my hand at using flaming spheres billowing smoke all over a room wherever they roll, the flash-bang effect is quite difficult to do safely. in the dnd games i play its usually just big square rooms with monsters needing chopping.

i guess i will just pick up the infinitely less interesting glitterdust and pick up obscuring mist on my 1st level spell slots.

i could try asking the dm if he would let me grab sculpt spell from the complete arcane, even if its not pathfinder, but i dont think he will go for it.

if i was a wizard this would be easy peezy, but as a sorceror i have to pick my spells carefully :smallsigh:

as i said before tho, suggestions are welcome and i would really like to make it work.

Glitterdust is probably better since it's less situational than Pyrotechnics, and it doesn't allow Spell Resistance. (See that golem over there? Blind it.) It also substitutes for See Invisibility.

But when Pyrotechnics does work, its results are spectacular, and it's very useful for long range bombardment. You can ready an action to cast Pyrotechnics on a Continual Flame'd arrow shot by an allied archer, for example. Fireball (by another caster) can also work, and it has a similar range as Pyrotechnics.

The 'smoke' version of Pyrotechnics can be used on yourself safely if you have a Necklace of Adaptation. (or whoever is carrying the torch/flame source) It still blocks your vision though.