PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Concentration required

Amiria
2011-03-27, 04:23 AM
I have a Warblade 5 / Wolf Totem Barbarian 4 and I don't plan to take more levels in Warblade or other ToB classes. Still I'd like to have Concentration as a class skill so that I can keep it maxed cheaply for Moment of Perfect Mind.

I'm not picky about how it is done. I'm looking decent Fighter or Barbarian or Ranger alternative class features, Prestige Classes, Base Classes etc. that get Concentration as a class skill. A dip for 2-4 levels might be enough depending on skill points. No evil or lawful.

With full BAB I found Ranger, Paladin of Freedom, Duskblade and Hexblade, but neither really fit into the (quite vague) character concept. Not enough Cha for Hexblade or Paladin of Freedom, Ranger combat styles (even non-core) don't give me anything I really want and I don't really want spellcasting powers.

I can probably wait until 13th level if I have to pay a small feat tax at 12th level to get into a concentration-granting prestige class.

Character stats are: Str 20, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 12.

Feats are: Blooded, Close-Quarter Fighting, Combat Reflexes, Exotic Weapon (Bastard Sword), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword).

Stances are: Leading the Charge (White), Leaping Dragon Stance (Tiger)

Maneuvers are: Moment of Perfect Mind (Diamond), Steel Wind (Iron), Sudden Leap (Tiger), Emerald Razor (Diamond), Iron Heart Surge (Iron), White Raven Tactics (White)

He currently uses Weapon Aptitude to use the Bastard Sword feats for a Dwarven Warpike which will be his weapon of choice for the future.

If nothing suitable comes up I'll probably just have to raise Concentration as a cross-class skill. But its skill cap is as a class skill because of the Warblade levels, right ?

Reynard
2011-03-27, 04:29 AM
Human Paragon (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedParagon.html#human-paragon) would do it, if you're Human or one of the human half-breeds.

Best part is:
At 1st level, a human paragon can designate any one of his human paragon class skills as an adaptive skill. This skill is treated as a class skill in all respects for all classes that character has levels in, both current and future. For example, if a human paragon chooses Spot as an adaptive skill, he treats Spot as a class skill for all future class levels he gains, even if it is not normally a class skill for the class in question.

What is the Human Paragon skill list you ask?

Any 10, chosen by you.

Amiria
2011-03-27, 05:43 AM
Oh, he is indeed a Human, forgot to mention it.

Looks interesting. Looses BAB but the d8 hit die isn't too bad. But I do think that there are better option than taking more than 1 level of Human Paragon. Doesn't matter much, we play with fractional BAB and Saves so I could dip some other 3/4 BAB classes if I can accept their (most likely lower than d10) hit dice.

Urpriest
2011-03-27, 08:22 AM
Kensai isn't a horrible PrC for non-ToB melee, and I'm pretty sure it gets Concentration.

Amiria
2011-03-27, 09:34 AM
Seen it, but Kensai must be lawful.

AmberVael
2011-03-27, 10:25 AM
So you're human, you're willing to pay a feat tax to get into an appropriate PrC, and Concentration is already a class skill for you through Warblade, so it's more about the skill point cost than making it a class skill...

Why not just take the Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny? Makes all skills cost 1 skill point, cross class or no (caps still stay, but that won't matter to you as Concentration is already a class skill.)

Swooper
2011-03-27, 10:36 AM
So you're human, you're willing to pay a feat tax to get into an appropriate PrC, and Concentration is already a class skill for you through Warblade, so it's more about the skill point cost than making it a class skill...

Why not just take the Able Learner feat from Races of Destiny? Makes all skills cost 1 skill point, cross class or no (caps still stay, but that won't matter to you as Concentration is already a class skill.)
Able Learner is 1st level only though, so if this is a character already in play it won't work without special permission from the DM.

HalfDragonCube
2011-03-27, 10:36 AM
Factotum from dungeonscape gain absolutely everything as a class skill, and it might fit with your current character.

AmberVael
2011-03-27, 10:39 AM
Able Learner is 1st level only though, so if this is a character already in play it won't work without special permission from the DM.

Ah, that's true. I always miss that little annoying clause under "Special" rather than "Prerequisites."
Annoying.

However, there is still an option like that. Martial Study. Use it to pick up another Diamond Mind maneuver, and it'll give you concentration as a class skill forever.

Veyr
2011-03-27, 10:48 AM
Ah, that's true. I always miss that little annoying clause under "Special" rather than "Prerequisites."
Annoying.

However, there is still an option like that. Martial Study. Use it to pick up another Diamond Mind maneuver, and it'll give you concentration as a class skill forever.
Not to mention that this is a good option just for the maneuver itself.

Amiria
2011-03-27, 11:08 AM
Able Learner ? Nah, if I pay a feat tax I want it on some feat that('s really useful and) opens up a prestige class.

Factotum ? Nah, that's another game mechanic to handle with inspiration points. And I'd always wished to have started in Factotum for the skill points.

Martial Study could be ok, although the reason I stopped with Warblade is to not overshadow other non-ToB melee characters in the party ... and frankly those few maneuvers I have are a pretty powerful selection already, imho.

I just had an inspiration about my next few levels. I'll get Track soon, maybe that opens up some Ranger-y PrCs, maybe with Concentration as a class skill. Next 3 levels are planned as

Lvl 10: Wolf Totem Barbarian 5 - bonus feat = Track
Lvl 11: Cave Lord 1 - bonus feat = Tunnelrunner (Underdark)
Lvl 12: Cave Lord 2 - level feat = Wolf Berserker (Unapproachable East)

Cave Lord doesn't have Concentration but the dip for 2 levels is nice for 120 ft. darkvision (important to have in the camapign), more than you can get with magic items.

Wolf Berserker feat for better tripping with Enlarge Person (from friendly Wizard and/or Belt of Growth).

The more I think about it, the more I believe that I can live with paying cross-class skill points for Concentration. Especially since we have a skill-related houserule that currently gives him skill points as if he had Int 16.