PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing cleric spell 3.5

Jackolas
2011-03-27, 11:47 AM
Hi guys,
Im trying to work out some Cleric spell lists for general situations instead of having to pick lots of spells each day. My group only play core 3.5.

What would you suggest for Combat, Adventuring and General day spell lists?
Heres what I have.

Combat
0- Guidance x3 Cure minorx2
1-Divine Favour x2 Doom sanctuary
2- Bulls Strength Spiritaul Weapon

Adventuring
0-Create Water x2, Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic
1- Bless Water,Endure Elements x2, Comprehend Language
2-Gentle Repose, Zone of truth

General

0- Create Water x2, Detect Magic x2, Light
1-Endure Elements,Bless Water,Detect Undead,Hide from undead
2-Hold person, Entrall

Morbis Meh
2011-03-27, 12:04 PM
Do you want for all levels? Are you only selecting spells from the players handbook or would you allow spells from the spell compendium as well because they have great spells for clerics.

Jackolas
2011-03-27, 12:07 PM
Sorry dude! Probably should put that in the O.P

I have a 4th level Cleric/1st level fighter. PH only please

erikun
2011-03-27, 12:13 PM
You never need to memorize Cure anything unless you've decided to Rebuke Undead. You can spontaneously convert any spell into a Cure spell in an emergency.

Guidance is pretty unimpressive, even for an orison. It is very rare that +1 will matter (roughly 1:20, statistically) which means that 95% of the time, you've just wasted a spell - as the bonus vanishes after the first roll. You'd be better off with a utility spell, such as Light or Mending.

As for 1st level spells, what are you planning on doing? How do you plan on running the cleric? Something like Bless Water or Hide from Undead are very specific and wouldn't be any use unless you knew they were coming up; you can always re-memorize your spell list the next day.

Bless is a good offensive spell, especially as it can buff everyone in the party. Magic Weapon is also good if you don't have enchanted equipment yet. Defensively, Protection from Evil and Shield of Faith are good. Divine Favor is only useful for the cleric casting it, and most spellcasters are better off buffing the meleer in the party than themselves. Doom is a good debuff, although most stuff doesn't live long enough to matter. Most of the other spells can be handy but situational.

For 2nd level spells, Aid and Bull Strength are the good offensive buffs. Bear Endurance is a nice defensive spell, and can grant yourself a good chunk of HP. Remove Paralysis is very much desired when it is necessary, as can Lesser Restoration. Darkness and Hold Person can be very valuable in the right situation. Make Whole can be a very handy utility spell.

HalfDragonCube
2011-03-27, 12:20 PM
Doom is a good debuff, although most stuff doesn't live long enough to matter.

Doom can be very useful with big enemies. I like the tactic of casting Entangle and then repeatedly casting Doom. I have mentioned this before, but being able to immobilize enemies and then make them wet their pants while they can't do anything about it can be incredibly useful.