PDA

View Full Version : [TOB] Using healing maneuvers outside of battle

veven
2011-03-27, 11:59 AM
Could you use Crusader's Strike, Revitalizing strike, Martial Spirit, or similar stances/maneuvers for infinite healing outside of battle? Could a crusader initiate a healing maneuver with a non-lethal strike against an ally and then heal said ally? You just have to wait a few hours to heal instead of a few days.

Morbis Meh
2011-03-27, 12:05 PM
As a DM I would disallow it, I see those type of crusader maneuvers as a bout of divine inspiration to turn the tide of a battle when the need arises.

grarrrg
2011-03-27, 12:06 PM
Could you use Crusader's Strike, Revitalizing strike, Martial Spirit, or similar stances/maneuvers for infinite healing outside of battle? Could a crusader initiate a healing maneuver with a non-lethal strike against an ally and then heal said ally? You just have to wait a few hours to heal instead of a few days.

It's explained in the errata.

Now to just FIND the errata...

On a more helpful note, it is generally agreed that the healing-type maneuvers only work against a true opponent, someone/thing that is honestly a threat and/or trying to kill you/your friends.
Hitting your buddy won't work,
Attacking a (normal) tree won't work (evil trees work though,
Attacking a random house-cat won't work (unless it's been killing commoners, again).

Greymane
2011-03-27, 12:23 PM

On a more helpful note, it is generally agreed that the healing-type maneuvers only work against a true opponent, someone/thing that is honestly a threat and/or trying to kill you/your friends.
Hitting your buddy won't work,
Attacking a (normal) tree won't work (evil trees work though,
Attacking a random house-cat won't work (unless it's been killing commoners, again).

Emphasis mine. That's how I handle it, though I was unaware of errata for it. However I'd probably let them get away with it at first when they test it on squirrels. Then the local druid circle investigates on the missing wildlife. Instant plot.

tyckspoon
2011-03-27, 12:43 PM

It's Tome of Battle. There is no errata. (Well.. there's an errata file. Partway through errata for Snake of Fire it turns into errata for Complete Arcane.) The 'must pose a threat' language is actually already part of the Strikes themselves, with the exception of the healing stance, which simply says 'make a successful melee attack' and probably would have been given the threat restriction in the errata. You know. If Tome of Battle hadn't been entirely erased and replaced with Complete Arcane.

Keld Denar
2011-03-27, 01:07 PM
Eh, infinite out of combat healing is already available from other sources. It doesn't hurt balance at all to allow it. I'd just say its fine.