PDA

View Full Version : Domain Spell Levels and Metamagic/DCs

Elric VIII
2011-03-27, 12:31 PM
How do domain spells that count as a higher level spell in their domain slot work with metamagic or for determining save DCs?

As an example: Status is normally a 2nd level Cleric spell, but it is a 4th level domain spell for the Planning domain. Does this mean that I must prepare it in a 4th level slot or that is counts as a 4th level spell when cast as a domain spell?

Is it possible to count it as a 2nd level spell and apply metamagic to it, up to a 4th level slot?

My first thought is that it is actually a 4th level spell (DC and all), but I thought I would check anyway.

tyckspoon
2011-03-27, 12:36 PM
In the event that you actually use that domain slot for the spell, it's a 4th level spell. Otherwise, it's a 2nd- you basically have two versions of the same spell on your spell list, and can prepare whichever you prefer. I don't know why you'd ever use the domain version in this case, but to the best of my understanding that's how it works.

Elric VIII
2011-03-27, 01:12 PM
In the event that you actually use that domain slot for the spell, it's a 4th level spell. Otherwise, it's a 2nd- you basically have two versions of the same spell on your spell list, and can prepare whichever you prefer. I don't know why you'd ever use the domain version in this case, but to the best of my understanding that's how it works.

Thank you. The only reason that I'd want to use the domain slot would be if I was able to metamagic it. Although my other choice for that particular slot isn't that good either (Wither Limb).

dextercorvia
2011-03-27, 01:56 PM
Those aren't your only choices. You can prepare metamagicked versions of lower level domain spells. IIRC, the Domain Spontaneity ACF from PHBII lets you prepare healing spells in your domain slots, since you can cast your domain spells spontaneously.