PDA

View Full Version : Rule Zero Compendium

bloodtide
2011-03-27, 03:45 PM
So here is the idea. In just about every D&D game, something will happen that is not covered by the rules. And this is why D&D has DM's that use Rule 0 to cover this and make up rules on the spot.

Most DM's just wing it, and keep the game going. But I wonder if any DM's out there have made any good 'Rule 0' additions that everyone could use. A Compendium of new rules. Anyone have any? Would anyone find such a list useful?

Yora
2011-03-27, 04:01 PM
If in doubt, make an ability check.

And "the dms best friend": assign a bonus or penalty of +/-2 or +/-4 for favorable or unfavorable circumstances.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-27, 04:31 PM
My favorite is "Give me a reason it works, and a d20 roll". If I like the response and the roll isn't something the player looks at and goes "Well, crud," then they get what they want out of it. It's a bit of a mindgame and it's something I don't share with my players; I'm not looking at the d20 roll, I'm looking for their response. If they think it was good enough to succeed, it was good enough.

Yora
2011-03-27, 06:34 PM
I often don't set DCs for rolls and just look at the final result and consider if this looks good or not.
And I think a huge part of this is if the player screams "NOOOOOooooo!!! A 6!" or "Yes! 34!".

Epsilon Rose
2011-03-27, 07:08 PM
My favorite is "Give me a reason it works, and a d20 roll". If I like the response and the roll isn't something the player looks at and goes "Well, crud," then they get what they want out of it. It's a bit of a mindgame and it's something I don't share with my players; I'm not looking at the d20 roll, I'm looking for their response. If they think it was good enough to succeed, it was good enough.

I approve.
Just be careful they never catch on.

sambo.
2011-03-27, 10:30 PM
my main rule is that Role Playing > Roll Playing.

good/funny/inventive role playing can counter crappy die rolls. while nothing can save a roll-player.

all those years of being a Paranoia GM have kind of carried over. Dramatic Tactical Combat RULES!!!

AngelisBlack
2011-03-27, 11:30 PM
My favorite Rule 0 is: Common sense overrules all most.

For example, while I would allow the use of natural weapons to try to tear down a locked metal door, common sense would not allow a bite attack to actually work.

Also, I rule that some area attacks actually damage terrain. So while you can bombard the same 20 foot area with several fireballs, you would also be weakening and eventually destroying the floor, walls, and ceiling as well. This could be a good or bad thing.

Runestar
2011-03-28, 05:22 AM
My favorite Rule 0 is: Common sense overrules all most.

I have realised however, that our common sense is often limited by our lack of exposure to what human beings are really capable of. In fact, I have discovered over time that some things which I feel are improbable, actually do, and have happened in real life. Sometimes, the feat in real life is even more outrageous that what my player was proposing! :smalleek:

This is why I tend to be a stickler for the rules, because I no longer trust myself in this area! :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-03-28, 09:38 AM
Let's see...

When in doubt, help the player. As in, you're not sure how an action should work, the roll is about 2 points off and you're not sure of circumstances, maybe the rules could be interpreted in a certain fashion? In most cases, letting the player succeed leads to a better atmosphere at the table. Similarly, be lenient if the player wants to play a concept not entirely covered by the rules. Radical re-flavouring or changing one ability of a class go a long way towards making someone happy with their character.

DwarfFighter
2011-03-28, 02:56 PM
Actually, I would rather tell the players the DC of the check and the modifiers that apply before dice are rolled. I feel this is a useful exercise that puts the character's action into its proper context: What the player wants his character to do counts (base DC), the character's abilities count (skills or abilities) and the circumstances count (a DC modifier).

-DF