PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Gotchka2

Rizban
2011-03-27, 04:05 PM
"You sound like you would be excellent in hunting down this scratplagh who is systematically slaughtering my employees. I'll pay you 5,000 gold if you can kill him and bring me proof."

Lyndworm
2011-03-27, 08:52 PM
"That sounds simple, but interesting. I accept your offer, sir. Have you any information on this 'scratplagh,' as you called it? Means of slaughter, motivation, locations of murders, non-combat sightings, so on and so forth."

Rizban
2011-03-27, 08:59 PM
"He wears a blue platemail suit with a blue tower shield, both made of mithral. However, he is actually a spellcaster, relying entirely on magic missiles."

Lyndworm
2011-03-27, 09:22 PM
"A spellcaster in armor? That's admittedly outside of my usual prey. I'll do it for 6,000."

Rizban
2011-03-27, 09:29 PM
"Bring me his head, and I'll pay you ten."

Lyndworm
2011-03-28, 12:44 AM
Gotchka emits a soft clicking noise before replying "You've made yourself a deal, sir. Where was the last attack? I'll start tracking this mage immediately, unless you've anything else to add."

Rizban
2011-03-28, 12:48 AM
"The last attack was here. He walked in, blasted the clerk at the front desk, killing her, then managed to escape before we could stop him. Ugh! She was dear to me, family, like my own daughter. This mad dog must be put down."

Lyndworm
2011-03-28, 01:15 AM
"Excellent, thank you." With a short, swift bow to the other man, Gotchka begins searching the area for anything that the armored mage left behind.

Search check to find anything:
[roll0]

Survival check to find and/or follow tracks:
[roll1]

Or, if you deem him able, Gotchka takes 10 or 20 on the above skills.
OoC Edit:
This is going to be a PC, isn't it? :smallwink:

Rizban
2011-03-28, 08:35 AM
maybe... Okay, yes.Being a shop, you find the comings and goings of numerous people. Tracks you think may be his seem to be mostly obscured but still visible.

Lyndworm
2011-03-28, 02:24 PM
Gotchka attempts to follow the tracks, moving slowly so as not to lose them.

Survival to track:
[rollv1d20+11[/rollv]

I'm pretty sure that you can't take 10/20 on this, but I could be wrong. If you deem Gotchka able to do so, he takes 10/20 (whichever you allow).

Lyndworm
2011-03-28, 02:25 PM
I borked that roll, sorry.

Survival to track:
[roll0]

Rizban
2011-03-28, 02:36 PM
You follow the tracks, discovering that there are several overlapping, identical tracks. It seems as if he came in several times, likely using some sort of magical disguise to hide his armor, as the most recent ones are not the ones you are following.

Lyndworm
2011-03-28, 09:11 PM
Making a mental note that his quarry may be in disguise, Gotchka continues hunting the mage.

Search to find anything of interest:
[roll0]

Survival to track:
[roll1]

Once again, I would prefer to take 10 or even 20 on these rolls, but I understand if circumstances do not permit it.

Rizban
2011-03-28, 09:14 PM
Despite the disguise, the tracks are identical. You may take 10.

Lyndworm
2011-03-29, 01:43 AM
OoC:
...Then he does so. :smalltongue: Anything interesting?

Rizban
2011-03-29, 01:49 AM
He finds 7 copper coins and 1 silver coin that had been dropped. Nothing else of note is found.

You identify that there are 3 paths of him arriving but only one of him leaving. The other times he left, the trail vanishes completely. You aren't certain if the remaining trail is the freshest or not.

Lyndworm
2011-03-29, 01:58 AM
Gotchka decides to follow the trail further, resolved to see where it goes.

I'm unsure if new rolls are needed, but here are a few just in case;

Search:
[roll0]

Survival:
[roll1]

Sheet updated with new currency.

Rizban
2011-03-29, 02:00 AM
A short distance later, you lose the trail.

Lyndworm
2011-03-29, 02:24 AM
"Kinchta!" After spewing the curse, Gotchka makes his way back to the shop to relay his findings.

Rizban
2011-03-29, 11:22 AM
Well, you still have the trails that show from where he came, if not where he went.

Lyndworm
2011-03-29, 03:22 PM
OoC:
Oh! Sorry; I misunderstood. In that case, please disregard the last post.

Gotchka attempts to follow the new trail, tracking the mage once more.

Search:
[roll0]

Survival:
[roll1]

As always, I would prefer to take 10 or 20; the rolls are just in case I cannot.

Rizban
2011-03-29, 08:16 PM
Taking 10 (can't take 20), you manage to follow the three sets of tracks back for several blocks before they diverge. You are currently in South Market. One set of tracks seems to be coming from the northeast from North Market. The other two seem to come from the northwest from Old Town.

Lyndworm
2011-03-29, 09:32 PM
Silently debating with himself for a moment, Gotchka follows the North Market tracks.

Taking 10 on Search and/or Survival to track.

Rizban
2011-03-29, 09:50 PM
The tracks are often obscured and hard to follow, but you manage to follow them to the headquarters for Pirner Outfitters, Ezekiel's Supplies' biggest competitor.

Lyndworm
2011-03-29, 11:36 PM
Gotchka attempts to approach the building without arousing any suspicion from those who may be inside.

Hide check:
[roll0]

Move Silently check:
[roll1]

I'm assuming that he can't take 10 because this is an opposed check, but as always I would prefer to do so.

Rizban
2011-03-30, 12:41 AM
The building is basically a fancy warehouse with no windows. The front door is heavy steel with a sliding plate through which the guard may look out. There are no outside guards.

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 01:16 AM
Stopping to calculate the risks involved for a moment, Gotchka tilts his head. Before long he has moved over to the door, one fist raised. He swiftly raps upon the steel door.

Rizban
2011-03-30, 02:33 AM
The steel panel in the door slides open, revealing the face of a burly half-orc.

"What do you want?"

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 03:53 AM
"I was told this place had a great selection of goods. I tried that Ezekiel bastard's place, but it was crap. What've you got?"

Rizban
2011-03-30, 10:08 AM
"Main offices and storage only. Youy want to shop, there's a storefront two blocks that direction. Employees only here."

He motions to your right.

The track you are following definitely passes through this door.

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 01:33 PM
Gotchka nods to the half-orc and heads off the the right. After he's out of the guard's field of vision, he loops back around to the point where the tracks separated. Gotchka attempts to find the prints that led him here the first time, hoping to track the two other prints to Old Town.

Search:
[roll0]

Survival:
[roll1]

As always, I would prefer to take 10 (or 20). However, I'm not positive that I can do that if I'm actively searching for tracks rather than just following what I've already found.

Rizban
2011-03-30, 01:36 PM
He manages to track them to Old Town just as the sun is setting. Tracking them further at night will be more difficult. Fortunately, the lack of need to sleep and the lower traffic means you may now take 20, but it will take awhile to follow and be obvious that you are tracking someone.

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 02:30 PM
OoC:
As a Thri-Kreen, Gotchka has Darkvision; would this not negate or at least lessen the penalties for tracking in low-light environments? Granted, Darkvision doesn't allow for color. It does however, allow for texture, so most footprints would show up (though scuff marks and stains might be too subtle).

Gotchka continues to follow the Old Town tracks, though not wanting to be too obvious, he does so more hastily than necessary.

Taking 10 on Search (13) and Survival (21). I'd rather not tip-off anybody who might be watching, so taking 20's not my first instinct.

Rizban
2011-03-30, 02:34 PM
Unfortunately, the hard packed ground and cobblestone roads make it too difficult to follow the tracks without more careful study. (You'll have to roll or take 20 to succeed).

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 02:41 PM
"Kinchta!" Focusing more intently on the task at hand, Gotchka redoubles his efforts and tries again, more slowly.

Taking 20 this time. :smallsigh: Oh, well.

Rizban
2011-03-30, 02:43 PM
As you pass near the Nobles' Quarter, a guard stops you and demands to know what you're doing at night like this.

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 02:54 PM
"Minding my own business, like a good citizen. How're you doing this fine evening?" As he talks, Gotchka tries to get a feel for the guard's intentions.

Does this require a Bluff check? I wouldn't think so, but here it is just in case:
[roll0]

Sense Motive:
[roll1]

Specifically, I'm trying to see whether or not this guy's heart is in this, of if he's just trying to not get in trouble.

Rizban
2011-03-30, 02:56 PM
"Fine, fine. Move along then. No loitering." He walks away, disinterested.

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 03:15 PM
"Yes, sir; I'll be on my way momentarily. Have a nice night." Gotchka goes back to tracking the two people from before.

Taking 20 again.

Rizban
2011-03-30, 03:26 PM
Both sets of tracks lead to the Aldhaven Royal University of Scientific Esoterica. You follow them to an upperclassman dorm, but you can't enter, as magic wards on the front door prevent anyone not affiliated with the university from entering.it seems as if the criminal is a student.

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 03:40 PM
Taken momentarily aback at the apparent young age of the assailant, Gotchka pauses. After collecting himself, he swiftly heads back to Ezekiel's to relay his findings.

Rizban
2011-03-30, 03:42 PM
You are shown in to see Mr. Jedder.

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 03:51 PM
"I have not seen the murderer yet, but I found some tracks outside. I followed them to a point where they converged with another group. Leaving out the details, it seems that two people came from one of the University's upperclassman dorms, and one came from Pirner Outfitters' headquarters. This seems to be corporate sabotage. Have the parameters of my mission changed at all?"

Rizban
2011-03-30, 07:50 PM
"That bast- Er, yes, well, I should have expected as much from Pirner.

Are you sure it was three different individuals? Might it have been one person making multiple trips? Once from his new employer and then from his residence later for his crimes?"

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 09:11 PM
OoC:
Sorry about that, I misunderstood your description of the scene (through no fault of yours, though).

"No, you're correct, sir. It was almost certainly the one person."

Rizban
2011-03-30, 09:48 PM
"Well, it seems you have a good start on figuring out who he is. My offer of 10 still stands. Find him and end him."

You gain 300xp.

Lyndworm
2011-03-30, 10:11 PM
"Yes, sir. I'll go set something up." With a quick, short bow to Jedder, Gotchka leaves the shop. He heads back to the University's upperclassman dorms. Not having any real rush, he takes his time getting there. He sticks to the shadows and tries to remain out of sight.

Hide:
[roll0]

Move Silently:
[roll1]

As usual, I'd prefer to take 10. I don't see any reason why I can't, but it's best to roll just in case.

Rizban
2011-04-11, 01:11 PM
You find an excellent hiding place, and no one spots you.

Lyndworm
2011-04-11, 04:40 PM
Gotchka climbs atop the dormitory building. Once there, the mantis warrior waits patiently for his quarry to exit.

Climb check:
[roll0]

Hide check:
[roll1]

Move Silently:
[roll2]

As usual, I'd prefer to take 10 or 20, especially since it saves time right now.

Rizban
2011-04-11, 10:01 PM
You easily climb the building and find that the roof is built as an open air observatory and landing zone for students utilizing the fly spell.

The door is open and unwarded.

Lyndworm
2011-04-11, 11:57 PM
With curiosity piqued and opportunity knocking, Gotchka creeps inside the dormitory.

OoC:
I'd have made the post longer and/or more detailed, but it's probably better to see what's inside, first.

Rizban
2011-04-13, 01:32 PM
Inside is a stairwell which leads down to the top floor of the dorms. The upperclassmen dorms appear to be on this floor. There is no one around.

Lyndworm
2011-04-13, 01:58 PM
As quietly as he possibly can, Gotchka sneaks down the stairs, trying to get a feel for his prey's den. He keeps an eye out for tracks that might've been left by the same feet that led him here.

Move Silently:
[roll0]

Search:
[roll1]

Survival:
[roll2]

Rizban
2011-04-13, 02:02 PM
You remain unseen and unheard, and you do indeed find some tracks which seem to resemble those left behind by your quarry; however, you are not completely certain that they are his.

Lyndworm
2011-04-13, 02:14 PM
Taking only a moment to ponder his conundrum, Gotchka decides to follow the tracks. He can't risk coming so close only to lose is quarry.

Survival:
[roll0]

Rizban
2011-04-13, 02:14 PM
They lead to a dorm room; however, the most recent tracks are leading out of the room. It appears that he is not currently at home.

Lyndworm
2011-04-13, 02:19 PM
A quiet clicking sound escapes from between Gotchka's illusory lips. Again, he decides to follow the tracks.

Survival:
[roll0]

OoC:
I guess I'm not going to get to Coup de Grace a sleeping PC, am I? Too bad... :smallwink:

Rizban
2011-04-13, 02:29 PM
Well, you could wait around and prepare to spring on him when he comes back exhausted at the end of the day... :smallwink:

Lyndworm
2011-04-13, 04:05 PM
OoC:
Uhh... I do that, then? :smallyuk:

A quiet clicking sound escapes from between Gotchka's illusory lips. He checks all around the door for any signs of magical or mundane warding, and (assuming he finds none) enters the room.

After entering, Gotchka tries to find a place to hide so that he will not be immediately visible to anyone entering the room.

Search:
[roll0]

Hide:
[roll1]

Move Silently:
[roll2]

Rizban
2011-04-14, 02:13 AM
The only "warding" on the door is a good lock locked with arcane lock, a standard feature on all dormitories at this university.

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 02:38 AM
Deciding to get as much out of this as possible, Gotchka tries to force the door open.

Strength Check:
[roll0]

If there's any way I can attempt to do this quietly, I'd like to do that.

Rizban
2011-04-14, 03:43 AM
You do not manage to force the door open.you realize that it is just barely within your strength to force it open, but it will require everything you have in you to do so.

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 05:08 AM
Gotchka redoubles his efforts.

Strength Check:
[roll0]

I'm pretty sure you can't take 20 on ability checks, but this is the time to prove me wrong. I'm just going to hit the door until it opens or somebody makes me stop, anyway. :smalltongue:

Rizban
2011-04-14, 10:57 AM
Pushing hard on the door, you cause the hinges to come loose.

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 02:58 PM
Gotchka enters the room and searches for anything that might be useful, whether it be a clue about the assailant or just valuable.

Listen:
[roll0]

Search:
[roll1]

Spot:
[roll2]

Rizban
2011-04-14, 03:18 PM
The room is cluttered and dirty with books, papers, dirty clothes, and used dishes stacked everywhere. You find a number of papers with arcane writing that requires a skill check to read. You also find a suit of magic blue platemail hidden under the bed.

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 04:24 PM
Now confident that he at least has the right location, Gotchka puts the door back up. Knowing he'll never actually fix it, he only attempts to make it look undamaged to the casual observer.

I feel like this should require a roll of some sort, but I'm not sure. Profession? Craft? ...Hide? I've got nothing.

Rizban
2011-04-14, 06:40 PM
The hinges are inside, so the damage can't be seen from outside.

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 06:51 PM
His task complete and his quarry clear, Gotchka finds a spot in which to set up his ambush.

Hide:
[roll0]

Move Silently:
[roll1]

If able, this would be a great time to take 10 or 20. Gotchka will likely have a long, long time to prepare and get this just right.

OoC:
Everything went better than expected. :smallsmile:

I haven't been this excited since the explosion.

Rizban
2011-04-14, 09:06 PM
Inside or outside of the room?

You may take 20 on your hide check.

I'm glad one of my players is. I just had one quit angry because he attacked a noble and died then complained that I gave the NPC artifacts (I didn't) and that I'm at fault and a bad DM because I should not have even given him the option of attacking someone that could kill him.

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 10:09 PM
Inside; my apologies for not being clearer.

As for ungrateful players... :smallsigh: I don't even know what to say about these people. In that situation it was clearly the player's fault. What would be the point in this game (a hyper-lethal PvP Sandbox) if you wouldn't let the player attempt dangerous things? I hate to say that anyone can play D&D wrong, but clearly he's not doing it right.

Rizban
2011-04-14, 10:13 PM
Right, well, enough of that. I vented. I'm done.

The guy you're hunting is in the middle of something right now and will likely take a day or two more to finish at his current rate. Do you mind waiting?

Lyndworm
2011-04-14, 10:43 PM
Nah, I'm cool to chill here for a while. Besides, it would be cool to get a reputation for hunting people. Reminds me of a legend about a ninja who hid in a noble's chamberpot for several days. Supposedly, using the toilet was the only room in which the noble's bodyguards wouldn't follow, so the ninja chose one at random and just waited.

Rizban
2011-05-14, 04:36 AM
Gotchka spontaneously receives 300xp for patiently awaiting his prey.

Lyndworm
2011-05-14, 11:25 AM
OoC:
That was certainly not necessary, but... Woo! Now it's definitely worth the wait.

Also, thanks for remembering me. I never thought that you forgot, but it's nice to be remembered.

Rizban
2011-05-18, 08:22 PM
Okay, he's almost out of the "quest area" and about to head back home...

Lyndworm
2011-05-18, 09:06 PM
Good to know. I've been waiting here for over a month; I'm not complaining, but Gotchka's definitely ready to taste some blood.

Rizban
2011-05-21, 08:45 PM
As you are waiting, the door suddenly falls inward as the student who lives here tries to open it. You see an obvious magic user standing there slightly confused, worn and with obvious injuries from some recent ordeal.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 09:52 PM
OoC:
Does Gotchka have room to charge this guy or use Battle Jump (15ft ceiling, so unlikely)? If the room's large enough to allow it I'd think so. He did have a while a position himself, after all.

Rizban
2011-05-21, 10:01 PM
Not really room to battle jump, as you can't really get overhead to jump down on him, especially since you'd have to go through the doorway to get to him. You can, however, charge him.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 10:18 PM
Gotchka rushes at the mage with as much ferocity as he can manage. He strikes at the student with both ends of his strange polearm, claws with his lower arms, and even leans forward to bite at the man.

Pouncing on the poor guy. Power Attacking for +1/-1.

Gythka Attack 1:
[roll0]

Gythka Attack 1:
[roll1]

Gythka Attack 2:
[roll2]

Gythka Damage 2:
[roll3]

Claw Attack 1:
[roll4]

Claw Damage 1:
[roll5]

Claw Attack 2:
[roll6]

Claw Damage 2:
[roll7]

Bite Attack:
[roll8]

Bite Damage:
[roll9]

OoC
That's a lot of really low numbers. :smallsigh:

I think only the second gythka attack hit for 12 damage.

Rizban
2011-05-21, 10:25 PM
Gythka 2 and Claw 2 both hit. Awaiting his response before giving you the resolution of the action.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 10:31 PM
OoC:
Don't worry about it; I'm quite patient. :smallwink:

Rizban
2011-05-21, 10:44 PM
Please roll initiative. Your attack was the surprise round.

Looking at your character sheet, I don't think you had your bonuses applied correctly for your attack. And your gythka should be doing 1d10 damage, not 1d8.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 10:50 PM
Initiative:
[roll0]

Sorry, I totally spaced on that.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 10:59 PM
Looking at your character sheet, I don't think you had your bonuses applied correctly for your attack.
I think that I did, but I've been wrong before.

Attack is:
5 (BAB) +5 (Str) +1 (Enhancement) -2 (T/MWF) +2 (Charging) -1 (Power Attack) = 10

Main Hand Damage is:
5 (Str) +1 (Enhancement) +1 (Power Attack) = 8

Off Hand Damage is:
2 (1/2 Str) +1 (Enhancement) +1 (Power Attack) = 4

Claw and Bite Damage is:
2 (1/2 Str) +1 (Power Attack) = 3

And your gythka should be doing 1d10 damage, not 1d8.
That one I just spaced on. I'll reroll the base damage of the second attack (as the first one missed anyway) below.

Attack :
[roll0]

Rizban
2011-05-21, 11:00 PM
I think that I did, but I've been wrong before.

Attack is:
5 (BAB) +5 (Str) +1 (Enhancement) -2 (T/MWF) +2 (Charging) -1 (Power Attack) = 10

Main Hand Damage is:
5 (Str) +1 (Enhancement) +1 (Power Attack) = 8

Off Hand Damage is:
2 (1/2 Str) +1 (Enhancement) +1 (Power Attack) = 4

Claw and Bite Damage is:
2 (1/2 Str) +1 (Power Attack) = 3

That one I just spaced on. I'll reroll the base damage of the second attack (as the first one missed anyway) below.

Attack :
[roll0]Ah! It was the power attack I was missing. Nevermind. :pYou win initiative.

Rizban
2011-05-21, 11:04 PM
Oh! A retributive magic missile goes off when you hit him, dealing 28 damage to you during your surprise round.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 11:08 PM
Taking advantage of his quarry's slow reaction time, Gotchka continues his brutal assault.

Full-attacking. Power Attacking for -1/+1.

Gythka Attack 1:
[roll0]

Gythka Attack 1:
[roll1]

Gythka Attack 2:
[roll2]

Gythka Damage 2:
[roll3]

Claw Attack 1:
[roll4]

Claw Damage 1:
[roll5]

Claw Attack 2:
[roll6]

Claw Damage 2:
[roll7]

Bite Attack:
[roll8]

Bite Damage:
[roll9]

OoC:
Now, that's more like it! :smallwink:

Rizban
2011-05-21, 11:09 PM
Everything but the 2nd claw hits. He dies.

Had you not killed him, he would have done around 20 some odd damage to you, killing you.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 11:16 PM
"I have tasted victory this day." the thri-kreen says, clutching its wounded side. Gotchka strips the mage of anything valuable, including the armor for proof, and attempts to leave the way he came in.

OoC:
That was exciting! Despite the combat being so short, I actually felt like I might die when I read about the magic missile. I'm kind of proud of myself now, though, and that's always nice. If only there were a way to gloat without rubbing it in...

Any XP I should be keeping track of? (Not to rush you or anything; I just don't want either of us to forget.)

Rizban
2011-05-21, 11:21 PM
Gotchka gains 2000xp from the kill.

He finds 3 daggers, a potion, a magical hat, and a chain shirt stuffed in a bag. He also finds a large belt pouch with a magic scroll, a platinum ring inlaid with a chrysoberyl gem (http://www.yourgemologist.com/chrysoberyl_files/chrysoberyl1.jpg), a strange crystal construction that emanates some sort of energy, and a magic wand. He has no gold or other currency on him.

The man was not wearing any armor.

Lyndworm
2011-05-21, 11:30 PM
Gotchka stuffs as much of it as will fit into his haversack (about 7lbs). Anything left over he either clutches or, if there's too much, places in the sheets on the mage's bed. He then carries the sheet as one would a sack. He does not forget the blue armor under the bed.

Rizban
2011-05-21, 11:39 PM
The man's gear was already in a backpack and can just be carried in that.
The blue platemail and tower shield are easily wrapped up in the sheets.

Lyndworm
2011-05-22, 12:52 AM
Gotchka attempts to leave the way he came in.

Rizban
2011-05-22, 03:45 AM
He leaves without difficult.
Also, you just killed and looted Planswalker's personal character.

Lyndworm
2011-05-22, 10:39 AM
Gotchka returns to Ezekial, intending to get his reward.

OoC:
I actually knew that already; he PMed me a congratulations and a promise not to seek retribution. He's a pretty cool guy.

I have to admit I feel pretty good about myself for taking down a character two levels above my ECL, though, no matter how devious or unfair the circumstances.

Rizban
2011-05-22, 05:39 PM
Ezekiel examines the armor you bring as proof then pays you the 6,000 gold you initially requested. You would have received 10,000 as he offered, except that you failed to bring in the murderer's head. Ezekiel also keeps the tower shield as a trophy and a warning. He allows you to keep the remainder of the loot. The next time you examine the loot, you find an additional 1,000xp in the backpack.

Lyndworm
2011-05-22, 06:50 PM
Gotchka asks Ezekiel if he's aware of a trustworthy mage to examine his spoils. It seems unlikely that Gotchka can make much use of most of the items, but he might yet sell them.

Provided Ezekiel gives Gotchka a name/address, the thri-kreen heads that way right after visiting a temple to get healed.

Rizban
2011-05-23, 02:35 AM
"I don't know how he does it, but there's a man named Hagan who sits most days just outside of here in The Plaza who can identify anything for 50 gold and a minute of your time. If I ever figure out how he does it without paying for that 100 gold material component cost and taking the hour casting time, I'd be glad to have that knowledge. Other than that, it'll cost you a fairly standard price of 110 gold and an hour per item, and I have a sorcerer on staff who can do it."

Lyndworm
2011-05-23, 10:26 AM
"I'll try this Hagan fellow, but I appreciate the offer. Thank you for your time." With a short bow, Gotchka pays his respect to the man. Straightening, the disguised thri-kreen turns and exits, seeking Hagan.

Rizban
2011-05-23, 02:40 PM
He finds him leaning against his cart in The Plaza, selling custom item crafting services.

Lyndworm
2011-05-23, 02:58 PM
"Are you Hagan? I've some items that need identifying." Gotchka presents his sheet-sack and backpack. "I can pay well."

Rizban
2011-05-23, 04:39 PM
He charges 50gp per item, in advance.

Lyndworm
2011-05-23, 05:48 PM
Gotchka pays the man 5pp at a time, in advance, for each of the magic items.

A potion
A magical hat
A magic scroll
A platinum ring inlaid with a chrysoberyl gem
A strange crystal construction that emanates some sort of energy
A magic wand
That totals to 30pp, I think.

Rizban
2011-05-23, 09:16 PM
He finds 3 daggers, a potion, a magical hat, and a chain shirt stuffed in a bag. He also finds a large belt pouch with a magic scroll, a platinum ring inlaid with a chrysoberyl gem, a strange crystal construction that emanates some sort of energy, and a magic wand.+2 fullplate, painted blue
Three +1 Human Bane daggers
A potion of shield
A hat of disguise
+1 shadowed silent moves chain shirt
Divine scroll of enthrall
A non-magical ring (worth 500gp)
A cognizance crystal (5pp)
A wand of magic missile with 27 charges remaining (CL1)

That's 450gp total cost to identify.

Lyndworm
2011-05-23, 10:18 PM
Gotchka gives the man an additional platinum piece and thanks him for his labor. "You have performed admirably, and I may call on you in the future. For now, I'm off to sell this heap."

Is Punchinello still in business? I really liked my luck last time I was there; it seems a logical place to sell my loot and pick up more.

Rizban
2011-05-23, 11:23 PM
Hagan is the new Punchinello.

Lyndworm
2011-05-23, 11:32 PM
I had suspected as much; thanks for confirming.

"Say, you wouldn't be interested in any of these prizes, would you?"

Rizban
2011-05-24, 09:31 PM
Hagan shrugs. "I'll accept any of it in trade for whatever it is you want to purchase from me, and I can do all manner of custom goods. I don't usually buy things outright though."

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 12:34 AM
"Well that's fair enough. What've you for sale then, Mr. Hagan?"

Specifically, I'm looking to purchase an item of +2 Str and/or something that boosts stealth. My budget's 5,555gp+trade-in value of the above and maybe a pair of boots of elvenkind. D'you think you can hook me up?

Rizban
2011-05-25, 12:49 AM
After telling Hagan what it is you're trying to find, he says, "I can do a Strength enhancer like what you need for say... 2,500gp.
I can double the effectiveness of those boots for hmm... 4,000 and can make a cloak which is equally as effective at making you hard to see for... 5,500.

How does that sound?"

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 01:46 AM
"Tempting, but I feel like we can do better."

Assuming that the items are worth half as much to trade as they would be to buy;

The daggers are worth a combined 12,453gp.
The full plate is worth 7,250gp.
The cognizance crystal is worth 4,500gp.
The chain shirt is worth 4,325gp.
The hat of disguise is worth 900gp.
The ring is worth 250gp.
The wand is worth 202.5gp.
The scroll is worth 75gp.
The potion is worth 25gp.
This comes to a total of 29,980gp and 5sp. Even at a quarter of its value (14,990gp, 2sp, and 5cp), my loot is worth quite a bit more than your original offer.

I didn't think to do the math first, so it's really my fault. Trading all of that in, plus my own wealth... I should have 20,000-35,000+. Howabout I increase my weapon to a +2/+2 equivalent (12,000gp value) and add a +2 Resistance bonus to saves to that cloak (4,000gp value) in addition to the original offer? For all of that Hagan gets to keep the loot and whatever gold piece value you think is fair.

Is the Valorous weapon enchantment allowed in this game?

Rizban
2011-05-25, 02:03 AM
2500 for a +2 Str
4000 to upgrade your boots from +5 to +10
5500 + 2000 to craft a +10 hide cape w/ +2 resistance to saves
8000 to upgrade the weapon to +2/+2

Hmm... I'll kick the Strength bonus up to a +4 and call it even on the loot exchange with no gold changing hands.

You now have :
+2/+2 gythka
+10 MS boots
+10 Hide, +2 resistance cloak
+4 Strength belt

Is the Valorous weapon enchantment allowed in this game?What book?

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 02:14 AM
That all sounds excellent.

The enhancement is from Unapproachable East. It's text is as follows:

Valorous:
A valorous weapon allows its wielder to make powerful charge attacks. When used in a charge, the valorous weapon deals double damage, much like a mounted warrior with the Spirited Charge feat. More than one doubling of damage increases the damage multiple by one per additional doubling, so double-double damage is triple damage, triple-double damage is quadruple damage, and so on.
Caster Level: 12th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, righteous might; Market Price: +1 bonus.

Rizban
2011-05-25, 02:15 AM
Yes, that's acceptable.

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 02:32 AM
"It was quite the pleasure doing business with you, sir. If I don't die, you've got yourself a long-term customer." After a curt bow to the man, Gotchka asks "You wouldn't know of anyone who could make use of the skills of a warrior or tracker, would you?"

Excellent. Gotchka now has:

+1, Valorous/+1, Valorous gythka
+10 Move Silently boots
+10 Hide, +2 resistance cloak
+4 Strength belt

Rizban
2011-05-25, 02:33 AM
"At the moment, no, but I actually might have need of you at some point in the future."

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 02:43 AM
"Should that time come, I will be ready. Farewell, Mr. Hagan." Gotchka heads back to Ezekiel, hoping for more work.

Rizban
2011-05-25, 02:45 AM
Ezekiel, while grateful for your assistance, has no more work for hired muscle here in the city. The only job he can really offer you now is as a guard on a merchant caravan, though he does offer to pay you if you manage to uncover who hired the blue assassin... which is doubtful now that he's dead.

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 02:51 AM
Though he thanks Ezekiel for the offer, Gotchka cannot leave the city just yet. He hits the streets looking for work.

Gather Information, I suppose.
[roll0]

Around what time is it now?

Rizban
2011-05-25, 03:51 AM
Mid morning, as you killed the assassin as he arrived home exhausted to rest, hauled out his gear, met with Ezekiel first thing in the morning, then bargained with Hagan. This assumes you act immediately.

If you wait for the items to be completed, you'll be waiting about a week.

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 12:25 PM
I'm good with waiting. Gotchka doesn't sleep, so he'll just be roving about more or less at random until the items are ready.

Rizban
2011-05-25, 02:17 PM
While roving about at random, Gotchka spot a fortune teller on the street, complete with crystal ball. She seems to be watching him.

Lyndworm
2011-05-25, 02:43 PM
Gotchka investigates the woman. In a light tone, he asks "Do I intrigue you, fate reader?"

Rizban
2011-05-26, 05:27 AM
"The elements call out to you, swirling through your aura. You are not what you appear."

Lyndworm
2011-05-26, 11:50 PM
"I know not of any elements or swirling, but you're certainly right on the last bit. I am not of this land, or of this race. I am a thri-kreen, a creature that lives only to hunt and calls the least hospitable place in the plane 'home.'"

Rizban
2011-05-27, 12:18 AM
"How interesting! I have never met someone like you before. Please, let me read your palm."

She suddenly seems to enter a trance, and her voice deepens slightly.

"Fire and Water allies are, whilst earth and air art lovers.
The four are one where darkness dwells, evil above all others.
When waters rise, the tides will fall.
The docks profane bring death to all."

The trance ends, and she seems unaware that it happened.

"I would love to get a look at the palm of a new species to see how their lines work out."

I'm going to be pretty busy this coming week, so I might not update at all for a few days.

Lyndworm
2011-05-27, 12:39 AM
Gotchka seems confused, but does not mention the woman's lapse. "Very well; I have great deal of time to kill." He turns off his hat of disguise and reveals is true, somewhat more disconcerting, form. "You may find reading my palm is a bit different from the more mammalian of my compatriots." Holding out one of his four palms, Gotchka waits for the fate reader's opinion.

Rizban
2011-05-31, 09:41 PM
"Quite interesting! It seems as if you are destined to right the lefts and up the downs. I would estimate that this line leads you to meet with another... a human of many dragons. Yes, but that path is not set..."

Lyndworm
2011-05-31, 11:32 PM
"An intriguing prophesy. Do you know who this human might be...? And does that relate to what you said before? About the elements, evil, and docks?"

Rizban
2011-05-31, 11:37 PM
"Elements? Evil? Docks? I don't know what you mean...

Wait... no... there was a girl yesterday... the elements clouded her aura. Perhaps that is this dragon woman in your future?"

Lyndworm
2011-06-01, 12:20 AM
"The elements call me and cloud her? That does seem an interesting connection. Perhaps I will find this woman. Could you describe her or tell me where she went?" Gotchka activates his hat of disguise once more, appearing again as a tall, gaunt man.

Rizban
2011-06-01, 12:25 AM
"Young, small, human. Almost childlike, though not a child. Very pale, white hair... disturbingly red eyes... almost reminiscent of a dragon... or a fiend."

Lyndworm
2011-06-01, 02:46 AM
"Did you see which way she went, or if she spoke with anyone else?"

Rizban
2011-06-01, 03:34 AM
"Hmmm... no. I was in the Mages' Quarter yesterday, though I doubt she's still there.

Let's see... ten districts... ten sides on my die..."

[roll0]

"Ah, yes, Temple District it is then."

Lyndworm
2011-06-01, 01:28 PM
"Thank you, fate reader. I'll take my leave, now." With a short bow, Gotchka prepares to head to the Temple District.

If the fortune teller has anything else to say, Gotchka will stay to hear it. If not, he'll head to the Temple District and attempt to learn anything he can about the woman from the fortune teller's story.

Gather Information (?):
[roll0]

Rizban
2011-06-01, 03:48 PM
You turn to leave, and the fortune teller speaks.

"May the spirits guide you!"

You look behind you to reply, but she, her crystal ball, her table, and everything else is gone, leaving only a faint hint of a breeze in the air.

Approaching the Temple District, the only information you find about dragons are the temples of Bahamut and Tiamat. You uncover nothing particular about any young girls.

Lyndworm
2011-06-02, 12:43 AM
Gotchka seeks the temple of Bahamut for guidance in the matter.

Rizban
2011-06-02, 12:44 AM
While heading that direction, you overhear a small girl crying to a City Watchman that her big sister was kidnapped by "evil dragon peoples."

Lyndworm
2011-06-02, 12:52 AM
The thri-kreen stops dead in his track to speak to the little girl and Watchman. "Perhaps I might be of some service. I happen to be searching for a young human female, but all I know is that she has some connection to dragons and/or fiends. Evil dragons seems a logical leap. Little youngling, what can you tell me about your sister?"

Rizban
2011-06-02, 01:22 AM
The girl just happens to match very closely to the description the fortune teller gave you.

"I dunno anything about fiends... sis summoned one, once or twice, and I think I read a book on them. We're from the East though, from the Empire. We ran away from a school there. She's not actually my sister, but she might as well be! We know the Seven Dragons only want to make us stronger, but..." Her eyes watered up again. "They were going to take her away! We had to stay together, so we ran here... and now she's in trouble..." She hung her head before glancing up. "I don't know why anybody would be looking for her though. We weren't important at all, we just had a little bit of magic. Are you going to help Gwen? Please?"

Lyndworm
2011-06-02, 07:15 AM
Nodding, Gotchka says "I'll certainly try. Where where the two of you when she was taken, and how long ago was it? I'm good at finding people, and that's what I'd like to do. I'm betting they took her to the temple of Tiamat, but I don't want the trail to go cold if they took her elsewhere. I am Gotchka. What might I call you, little one?"

Rizban
2011-06-03, 10:29 AM
"Mm... you can call me Remi. Nice to meet you, Mister Gotchka. That's a good name for someone who finds people!"

She nods once, then pointed back the way she'd come. "We were kinda lost, so we were trying to cut through back to a main street. But..." A hesitant pause. "...yeah. They came out of nowhere and whacked sis just like that. 'Bonk' on the head, then she was all unconscious... she didn't even get a chance to cast a spell. I think they musta' used something magic, 'cause she wouldn't normally go down like that. They definitely were taking her towards a temple though! I followed them a little after I turn invisible. I dunno whose it was, but I can take you there if you want."

Post reply here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11129655#post11129655