PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining a Balance of Usefulness?

StreetPizza
2011-03-27, 10:59 PM
Hello once again, playgrounders!

I am playing as DM in a no/low optimization Heroes of Battle-inspired campaign with much heroics and battle and I'd like to ask everyone's advice on making all of the players useful. Generally, I equate usefulness to fun and having fun is always the first order of business for me. Right now, there are three people playing and as of yet, nobody is past first level, so class changes and class variations are still open.

To start, here's a list of all the player characters:

-a Dwarven Cleric; since the game is no/low optimization, I don't expect him to go CoD-zilla on me. As of now, he's shaping up to be the team healbot/off-tank.
-a Human Crusader; I'm also not expecting him to go overboard with optimization either. He's the team main tank/leader with a bastard sword and heavy shield.
-a Human Fighter; the player behind this one is new to the game, which is why I recommended the relatively simple fighter. His character has a greatsword.

The problem here is, of course, the fighter. Eventually, with the Cleric's higher level spells and the Crusader's White Raven maneuvers, I'm afraid he's going to end up in a position of uselessness with nothing to contribute combat or skill-wise, and that wouldn't be very fun for him.

As a general fix, I think it might be a good idea to give the fighter a type of class variant, preferably with Search/Spot/Listen as class skills--that makes him more useful without complicating the game too much for him. In fact, just today, in his first play session, his character had some pretty good luck with a few untrained Search/Spot checks, so there's definitely in-character reason for him to gain those skills. I'm open to homebrew if anyone has a recommendation in this vein.

Other suggestions of any kind are welcome too, but I must remind everyone that the player is fairly new to the game, so I'm averse to the more complex solutions.

Also, it should be noted that since the game revolves around Heroes of Battle, it's perfectly possible for the players to recruit elite mooks with class levels without using Leadership to cover up all of their blind spots. As a matter of fact, they've already recruited a few named NPCs and they could always recruit more if need be.

Kylarra
2011-03-27, 11:15 PM
Why not just replace the fighter with a warblade? I realize that's the generic fix, but if you're already using ToB and he's not planning on going ranged, it works.

Epsilon Rose
2011-03-27, 11:31 PM
Or perhaps twf ranger and possibly take a variant that replaces casting if you really need to.
Or depending on your value for simple a bit of Binder and/or warlock dipping could be useful to snag some shiny abilities or buffs.
Note: I'm not sure how useful or simple that is. I'm not a good judge of either.

RaginChangeling
2011-03-27, 11:52 PM
You could have him multiclass/give him some Barbarian abilities as well. Rage is pretty simple, and they have spot/listen as a class feature. Depending on how you/he want to flavor it you could also have him take some Tome of Battle feats to get low level strikes and Stances without overwhelming him. Or you could just up the Fighter skill points to 4/level and add any skill he wants. This'll help him fill a niche without a skillmonkey and let him try out anything he thinks is cool. Maybe see if he wants to be the party face and invest in diplomacy a bit, or dabble in use rope.

Low level is probably the worst disparity between core melee and TOB though, especially once you hit level 3 and the Crusader gets second level strikes. Depending on the levels/length of the campaign give the Fighter some access to Pounce and power attack and he should out-damage the Crusader most of the time.

Sacrieur
2011-03-28, 12:26 AM
Dump magical items on him.

Here, have a magical +5 vorpal greatsword of +4 strength. Also, here's a +5 adamantine shield. Oh, and have this +5 mithral full plate armor while I'm at it. Also start reading this tome of strength.

Sarco_Phage
2011-03-28, 12:28 AM
Dump magical items on him.

The other two would then no doubt be wondering why they aren't getting showered with magical items.

Sacrieur
2011-03-28, 12:30 AM
The other two would then no doubt be wondering why they aren't getting showered with magical items.

That's why you give the cleric a +4 headband of Int and the warblade a folding boat. I had a folding boat once man, that thing was the ****.

Kylarra
2011-03-28, 12:34 AM
Honestly, warblade is the simplest and least convoluted fix for the situation. You can be a good warblade just by choosing maneuvers that you find interesting and you've got an excellent chassis to be a superior fighter. Sure you can't dungeoncrash anymore, but that's unlikely to have been the focus of a new player's build anyway.

StreetPizza
2011-03-28, 12:52 AM
I'm seeing some nice ideas here. Crossclassing or completely converting into Barbarian or Ranger, for example, I think is a pretty nice, uncomplicated idea. I could just as easily houserule more skill points for him and let him keep Spot/Listen if he goes back to fighter.

Warblade could definitely work too, especially on a balance level, even though I wouldn't feel justified in also tacking on more skill points and skills for him at that point and I think he enjoyed being both the perceptive guy and the "commander's bulldog" in the party.

Also, I don't feel like I could really dump magic items on him more than the other two, no matter how fold-y or boat-y the items I give to everyone else are, so boo for that.

I've also found some homebrew like the Yojimbo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181877), but all said, the choice is still his, and who knows? He might even not opt to change his character at all for simplicity's sake.

Epsilon Rose
2011-03-28, 12:58 AM
That's sort of why I suggested warlock and binder. They're great for a quick dip to get something to boost your power with out really changing what you do (depending on how you use them).

Kylarra
2011-03-28, 01:11 AM
Honestly, I give Search/Spot/Listen as class skills to every class.

Also warblade gets 4+int skills, so that's +2 on normal fighters anyway.

Sacrieur
2011-03-28, 01:14 AM
I only suggested magic items because you said he was new and thought it would be simple for him to play. The last thing he probably needs is dumping the ToB on his lap or having him play a gish.

StreetPizza
2011-03-28, 01:52 AM
You have a point there about avoiding complexity, which is why I'll include homebrew in my list of suggestions for him. Most of the variations I looked up were quite literally just Fighter + some stuff, all of which was right there on the page, after all, and all of them just about fit the role of what I think he wants to play.

Firechanter
2011-03-28, 11:14 AM
For future reference: it's a common fallacy to give a new player a Fighter of all classes because it's supposed to be "simple to play". It is not! Fighter is gimped faster than you can say Jack Robinson, because you _first_ need to have an idea of what is a good feat and what isn't.

For new players who are supposed to play "something simple", give them a Barbarian or something else that doesn't require them to _choose_ a dozen specials.