PDA

View Full Version : (3.Pathfinder) Making a Knife Fighter

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-28, 12:25 AM
I was thinking of a knife fighter type fellow who might be a murderer. Just thinking of new ideas for a possible upcoming campaign that I would play for, instead of being GM.
I was thinking of Rogue (for obvious reasons) probably human, around level 8. I prefer not to use TWF (done it too many times). So, I was thinking knife and buckler?

STR: 12
DEX: 18
CON: 14
INT: 14
WIS: 12
CHA: 10

Feat:
1 Improved Initiative
1 Combat Expertise
3 Improved Feint
5 Step Up
7 Combat Reflexes

Rogue Talents:
2 Finesse
4 Bleeding Attack
6 Fast Stealth
8 Surprise Attack

Other feats I was looking at: Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus, Quick Draw. Any other feats I should look at?

I was thinking of maybe going for a 4 or so fighter levels as well. good idea, bad idea?

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

grarrrg
2011-03-28, 11:59 AM
I was thinking of a knife fighter type fellow who might be a murderer...I prefer not to use TWF (done it too many times). So, I was thinking knife and buckler?

A few ideas, mix and match as needed:

If you decide to Multiclass, Half-Elf may wind up being a better choice than Human. The Skill Focus feat can be traded away for any of a number of Alternate Racial abilities, notable are 1-free Martial or Exotic weapon proficiency, or a +2 bonus to Will saves. You also gain 2 favored classes, and a bunch of other abilities: Low-Light vision, Immune to magical Sleep, and a bonus on Perception checks.

Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dervish-dance-combat) is a feat worth considering, it gives you Dex to Damage so long as you are using a Scimitar (and ONLY a scimitar, no shield/buckler).

Take up to 4 levels of Fighter (you do not need any ACF, straight fighter is good). 1, 2, &4 get you Bonus Feats, level 3 gets you armor training (+max dex bonus, and reduced Armor Check).

Take up to 4 levels of Ranger (Urban (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger#TOC-Urban-Ranger) Variant). Maintain Skill Monkey role better than a Fighter dip, the Combat Style feat is much more flexible than 3.5, and the Favored Terrain bonus can be quite useful for Rogue-types. Also, Most Rogue ACF's give away the Trapfinding, the Urban Variant can get it back.

Take the Scout Rogue ACF, you lose uncanny dodge and gain Sneak Attack damage on a charge (and eventually just for moving)

Take 2 levels of Assassin, maintain Sneak Attack, gain Poison Use and Death Attack, and regain Uncanny Dodge.

Duelist is now worth considering, it can wear light armor, gets a damage bonus = to its level, gets Int to AC, and some other bonuses (recommend a dip in Fighter to help get the pre-req feats)

Curious
2011-03-28, 07:39 PM
Duelist works well with a dagger and rapier, actually; you can take the first two-weapon fighting feat and use the extra attack to parry an opponents attack, and still get your extra damage from piercing blow- or whatever it's called. Dervish dance works well with it too, if you don't mind having only one weapon. A word of warning though; do not try the free-hand fighter archetype. It is terrible. Try the mobile fighter or dervish dancer archetypes instead; they are very mobile and quite powerful, with such gems as being able to combine a full-attack with a move action.

Mojo_Rat
2011-03-29, 10:04 AM
free hand fightervis fine. the dodge bonuscwaas fixed I'n an eratta. however I'n general for the knife fighter. I would recommend two things.

1 either do it as a rogue assassin either daggers or kukri.

2 if you don't mind not being a rogue twf kukri fighter.

the second fits themevalot but i find the idea of knife fighters In plate a bitvsilly but I'm told it dies solid damage.

only1doug
2011-03-29, 10:09 AM
Duelist works well with a dagger and rapier, actually; you can take the first two-weapon fighting feat and use the extra attack to parry an opponents attack, and still get your extra damage from piercing blow- or whatever it's called. Dervish dance works well with it too, if you don't mind having only one weapon. A word of warning though; do not try the free-hand fighter archetype. It is terrible. Try the mobile fighter or dervish dancer archetypes instead; they are very mobile and quite powerful, with such gems as being able to combine a full-attack with a move action.

Scout into Dervish perhaps, dervish should synergise well with skirmish damage.

OP specifically requested avoiding Two weapon fighting.