PDA

View Full Version : sneaky boars 3.5

person29
2011-03-28, 06:32 AM
Hello all,

I was wondering what would be a good way to add some sneakiness and/or a sneak attack ability to a boar in 3.5?

How would this change the CR from a normal CR2 boar?

Thanks in advance

LordBlades
2011-03-28, 06:34 AM
Make it an awakened Boar with class levels?

Eldan
2011-03-28, 06:35 AM
Look up the Dark or shadow templates. Lord of Madness or Tome of Magic (shadow magic section). Both give a decent bonus to stealth.

Runestar
2011-03-28, 06:48 AM
Give it the martial study and stance feat?

With 3 HD, it can have a 1st lv maneuver and stance. Unfortunately, the ones shadow hand have aren't that great, though it does add hide as a class skill.

Eldan
2011-03-28, 09:35 AM
Assassin's stance does give 2d6 sneak attack, and it's level 3. So that should work.

person29
2011-03-28, 09:45 AM
i don't have my books with me right now so i haven't been able to look up some of the suggestions, but it seems like most of them are for awakened boars...is there a way to do it without giving them sentience?

im looking mostly for sneak attack, stealth is less important than the SA...im envisioning them as a group type encounter

thanks again for all your help :)

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-28, 09:50 AM
You need... sneaky boars? What kind of diseased funhouse of horror encounter are you planning? Is this an elaborate attempt to make a "Spiderpig" joke? How many questions can I ask in this post?

person29
2011-03-28, 10:22 AM
You need... sneaky boars? What kind of diseased funhouse of horror encounter are you planning? Is this an elaborate attempt to make a "Spiderpig" joke? How many questions can I ask in this post?

sneak attacky boars more like :)

its actually part of a character's backstory about some extremely vicious boars, and sneak attack makes sense for them based on how he described them in flavor text.

not at all, however now i shall feel the need to make one in my campaign

4 apparently :)

RTGoodman
2011-03-28, 10:25 AM
Are you the DM? Why not just homebrew a "Sneaky Boar" that has a slightly higher Dex and lower Con, with some points in Hide and Move Silently, and has Sneak Attack +1d6 or +2d6 as an (Ex) special ability? CR 3 at best.

Thefurmonger
2011-03-28, 10:27 AM
Are you the DM? Why not just homebrew a "Sneaky Boar" that has a slightly higher Dex and lower Con, with some points in Hide and Move Silently, and has Sneak Attack +1d6 or +2d6 as an (Ex) special ability? CR 3 at best.

Yeah really ^This^

If your the DM, then use the "Poof" template

As in "Poof" now they have +2d6 SA, or "Poof" +8 Racial Hide.

The Poof template, 60% of the time, it works every time.

person29
2011-03-28, 10:28 AM
Yes I am the DM...im looking to you guys for help to see if something similar has been done I can adapt for my use, or what the CR of a boar with an additional 1d6, 2d6, 3d6, etc sneak attack would be

RTGoodman
2011-03-28, 11:15 AM
If you're basing it off of the standard Boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/boar.htm), I'd say adding +2d6 Sneak Attack would bump it up to CR 3. It's doing approximately the same damage as a 3rd-level Rogue (1d8+2d6), which would also be CR 3. Changing skill points from Listen/Spot into Hide/Move Silently and changing it to Dex 16 and Con 14 shouldn't really up it more.

Alternatively, you could just use the Razor Boar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/razorBoar.htm). :smallamused: :smallwink: Nothing says "Sneak Attack" like Vorpal Tusks!

Cog
2011-03-28, 01:14 PM
Assassin's stance does give 2d6 sneak attack, and it's level 3. So that should work.
Level 3 maneuvers are available at IL 5, or at 10 non-initiator HD. So... not really.

Thurbane
2011-03-28, 08:12 PM
The SRD (under the Improving Monsters section) gives loose guidelines on adding nonstandard special aiblities to monsters, and then guesstimating the CR increase. Maybe just have them be a subspecies of boar that gets Hide and Move Silently as class skills, a racial bonus to both skills, and +1d6 (or +2d6) sneak attack as a special ability. Maybe bump up their CR by 1.

Asarlai
2011-03-28, 08:23 PM
:sigh:

Well, I'm at least glad to see that you replaced the first thread with a more tame version so more people will help.

If a person can be more dextrous than average, so can a boar. I don't really feel like helping, though... So I'm sure others will provide you with specifics.

Eldan
2011-03-29, 02:39 AM
If you want more dexterity, start with the elite array. Standard monsters basically have straight 10s and 11s plus racial modifiers. The elite array gives them a more varied spread, at CR+1.

person29
2011-03-29, 06:40 AM
:sigh:

Well, I'm at least glad to see that you replaced the first thread with a more tame version so more people will help.

If a person can be more dextrous than average, so can a boar. I don't really feel like helping, though... So I'm sure others will provide you with specifics.

Sorry that my attempt to gather information from the playground users is weary to you...? Or perhaps you feel sadness for me, which then I guess i can understand as I was lost

yup and it has been dealt with...moving on

thank you for taking the time to tell me you don't feel like coming down from your tower to help

to everyone who has helped, thank you :)