PDA

View Full Version : The Pickled Feat thread

Deathdarken
2011-03-28, 10:12 AM
I don't care it its for 3.5 or 4.0 I want to see some weird feats. Anyone got any? (guess people did not get that I wanted to see some created ones)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-28, 10:45 AM
I think this thread will be of interest to you, given the nature of your homebrew forum posts:

Request a Homebrew (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72870)

Generally, it's the best place to request things like many of your other threads. :smallbiggrin:

For this one...well, "weird" is a subjective term, and there are literally thousands of homebrew feats out there. Could you be more specific as to what you're look for or what you want them for?

Volthawk
2011-03-28, 11:06 AM
I quite like Aberration Blood Expanded (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155474).

invinible
2011-03-28, 07:43 PM
Ur-Soul (http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Ur-Soul_%283.5e_Feat%29) was an interesting 1. In fact, I think somebody came up with it specifically to counter those DMs that like to go after those lock in alignment characters.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-29, 11:14 AM
Name: Backwards runner
Prerequisite: Dex 10
Benefit: you are able to run backwards.(why you would want to do that is beneath me but you can)

Name: Hopscotch champ
Prerequisite: Dex 15
benefit: You are able to hopscotch really well(enough said!)

A feat should have a mechanical useful, in-game purpose. What would the purpose or use of these be, from a character mechanics angle?

Morph Bark
2011-03-29, 11:17 AM
Well, I made some "anti-feats" if that counts?

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-29, 11:53 AM
Sure. Why not. I'm bored.

Worm Squirm
For reasons that you'd rather not get into, you can squirm along the ground with great speed.
Benefits: While prone, you may move at half of your landspeed. Furthermore, you may move in this way even while entangled.

Gerbil Companion
You have formed a bond between yourself and a small rodent such as a gerbil, mouse, or hamster.
Benefits: You gain a small rodent (use the statistics of a rat) to serve you as a familiar. You may not share spells with this familiar or deliver touch spells through them and they retain an average amount of intelligence for their race. For all purposes, your effective wizard or sorcerer level is equal to half of your class level.

Pickle Proficiency
Never underestimate the killing potential of a good pickle.
Benefits: You may make attacks with whole pickles as if they were daggers, although they deal bludgeoning damage instead of piercing or slashing damage.
You may make ranged attacks with pickle slices as if they were shuriken, if you possess proficiency with such weapons (an average pickle can produce 8 such slices)
Lastly, whenever you make a successful critical hit using a pickle, you deal +1d4 dessication damage.

Weird enough for you?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-29, 01:16 PM
Sure. Why not. I'm bored.

Good reason.

Pickle Expertise [Fighter]
Your pickles strike hard and fast.
Prerequisites: Pickle Proficiency, Base Attack Bonus +6
Benefits: Your pickles count as magic weapons, and gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to 1/3 of your character level (rounded down, minimum 1).

Pickle Perfection [Fighter, Tactical Feat]
Few can rival yours expertise in brine-soaked weaponry.
Prerequisites: Pickle Proficiency, Pickle Expertise, Base Attack Bonus +11
Benefits: You can the use of the following three pickle tactics.
Brine in the Eyes: On the round that you first draw your battle pickle from its jar, you may, as a swift action, splash some of the bring in a victim's eyes. All enemies within a 15ft cone must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your level + your Dexterity modifier) or be blinded for 1d3 rounds. You may use this ability once every 5 rounds.
Pickle Power: As a move action, you may consume your weapon for great power. You gain temporary hit points equal to your character level, and your next attack with a pickle deals additional damage equal to your character level. These temporary hit points are lost before your normal hit points. The temporary hit points and damage boost do not stack with each other, and vanish in 10 minutes if not used.
Bouncing Slices: Whenever you make a ranged attack with a pickle slice, you may target two foes within 15 feet of each other with every attack (instead of a single foe). Roll one attack roll against both foes.

Eldan
2011-03-29, 01:22 PM
Savour the Flavour
Prerequisites: Craft Alchemy 4 ranks, Pickle Proficiency
Benefits: Whenever you approach within 30 feet of a creature with the scent ability while holding a pickle, it has to make a fortitude save (DC 15+your charisma bonus) or be nauseated for one round.

Volthawk
2011-03-29, 01:29 PM
Lingering Flavour
Prerequisites: Craft Alchemy 4 ranks, Savour the Flavour
Benefits: Every square you walk through makes creatures with scent have to save against Savour the Flavour. This effect fades two rounds after you leave the square.

Temotei
2011-03-29, 01:32 PM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134479&highlight=silly+feats). :smallcool:

Volthawk
2011-03-29, 01:32 PM
Picklespawn [Aberrant]
Prerequisites: Deepspawn, Pickle Proficiency
Benefits: Your tentacles from Deepspawn act as pickles for all purposes. Each tentacle counts as 2 slices per aberrant feat you possess, regenerating a slice every minute.

Dvandemon
2011-03-29, 01:33 PM
Well, there is the Anything Goes Combat feat, which basically means you can use anything at hand as an improvised weapon without penalty (damage is decided by Rule Zero). It has a sister feat of Anything Goes Long, which is the same thing for anything you can throw

blackjack217
2011-03-29, 01:34 PM
Penetrating Pickle Power
Prerequisites: Pickle Proficiency
Benefits: Automatically penetrate Dill Resistance.

Eldan
2011-03-29, 01:56 PM
Pick-le
Benefit: All pickles you hold ignore the hardness of objects.

Pickle-chew
Benefit: All pickels you hold have the shocking enhancement.

Sacrieur
2011-03-29, 02:20 PM
Pickle Lover
Your body handles pickles differently than normal.

Prerequisite
Pickle Proficiency

Benefit
Consuming a pickle heals you as if you've been affected by the cure light wounds spell with a caster level equal to your ranks in Profession (pickler). Usable 3/day.

Improved Pickle Lover
Your body finds pickles to have near-magical healing properties.

Prerequisite
Pickle Proficiency
Pickle Lover

Benefit
Consuming a pickle heals you as if you've been affected by the cure moderate wounds spell with a caster level equal to your ranks in Profession (pickler). Usable 3/day.

Greater Pickle Lover
Your body reacts to pickles in an astonishing way, and can use them to heal even fatal wounds.
Prerequisite
Pickle Proficiency
Improved Pickle Lover

Benefit
Consuming a pickle heals you as if you've been affected by the cure critical wounds spell with a caster level equal to your ranks in Profession (pickler). Usable 3/day.

Supreme Pickle Lover
You believe pickles can cure anything.

Prerequisite
Pickle Proficiency
Greater Pickle Lover

Benefit
Consuming a pickle heals you as if you've been affected by the regenerate spell with a caster level equal to your ranks in Profession (pickler). Usable 3/day.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-29, 02:23 PM
Pickle Lover
Your body handles pickles differently than normal.

Prerequisite
Pickle Proficiency

Benefit
Consuming a pickle heals you as if you've been affected by the cure moderate wounds spell with a caster level equal to your ranks in Profession (pickler).

How does this interact with the Pickle Mastery feat? Also, you might want to put a limit on this, as otherwise it's a full heal forever...if you've got enough pickles. :smallbiggrin:

...Yes, I DID just attempt to balance a pickle-related feat.

Sacrieur
2011-03-29, 02:28 PM
How does this interact with the Pickle Mastery feat? Also, you might want to put a limit on this, as otherwise it's a full heal forever...if you've got enough pickles. :smallbiggrin:

...Yes, I DID just attempt to balance a pickle-related feat.

Eating a pickle is a move action right?

---

Also, with pickle perfection, you'd get both effects.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-03-29, 02:30 PM
Eating a pickle is a move action right?

I was more worried about out-of-combat consumption.

Also, with pickle perfection, you'd get both effects.

Works for me!

Sacrieur
2011-03-29, 02:32 PM
I was more worried about out-of-combat consumption.

Works for me!

Fixed, it is only usable 3/day. Or maybe usable Profession (pickler) ranks x 1/5 (rounded down, minimum 1) times per day.

Pyromancer999
2011-03-29, 02:46 PM
My turn to join in on the fun:

Battle Pickle
Prerequisites:Pickle Proficiency, 3rd level
Benefit: Choose one weapon you are proficient with. You may transform pickles into pickle-y versions of that weapon.

War Pickle
Prerequisites:Pickle Proficiency, Battle Pickle, 6th level
Benefit: You may now transform pickles into pickle-y versions of any weapon you are proficient with.

Bizarre Companion
Prerequisite: 3rd level
Benefit: You gain an odd companion. You gain a random creature to serve you as a familiar(determined by DM). Your effective sorcerer or wizard level is equal to half your HD, and you cannot deliver touch spells nor share spells with the familiar. You then may apply any one template to this familiar that it does not qualify for, so long as the LA adjustment of the template do not exceed 1/2 your level. Also, if it cannot normally speak, it gains the ability to speak one language you know.

Also, I've got some Manga feats in the works, so keep an eye out for those.

Leeham
2011-03-29, 03:48 PM
I came here this morning... I see something about running backwards... Now pickles? What happens here when I'm napping?

Dvandemon
2011-03-29, 04:41 PM
People latch onto something inane and run a triathalon with it

Ashtagon
2011-03-29, 04:43 PM
Realisation of Past Mistakes

Prerequisite: Wisdom 10 or lower.

Benefit: You realise you made a bad feat choice.

Sacrieur
2011-03-29, 04:47 PM

Actually, a fighter with that slew of pickle feats wouldn't be half bad.

Jarian
2011-03-29, 04:48 PM
Actually, a fighter with that slew of pickle feats wouldn't be half bad.

Pickles are overpowered.

vikingofdoom
2011-03-29, 04:52 PM
Might as well show casters some pickle love:

Pickle Magic
Prerequisite: Caster Level 1st, can never obtain Eschew Materials,
Benefit: Your magic is partially fuelled by pickles. As long as you consume a pickle as part of the casting of a spell that creates salt, pickles, or water or does desiccation damage (requiring a move action to complete that doesn't interfere with the verbal components of the spell) you gain a +1 CL for that spell. This doesn't increase the casting time for any spell with a casting time of 1 full-round action or above.

And an item to fuel the pickle feats:
Jar of pickles: This jar of pickles contains 50 pickles in brine. Each pickle is of average size. Price: 1 sp for the pickles and brine, 3 cp for the jar.

Note that this isn't supposed to be balanced in any way.

blackjack217
2011-03-29, 05:07 PM
Might as well show casters some pickle love:

Pickle Magic
Prerequisite: Caster Level 1st, can never obtain Eschew Materials
Benefit: Your magic is partially fuelled by magic. As long as you consume a pickle as part of the casting of a spell that creates salt, pickles, or water or does desiccation damage (requiring a move action to complete that doesn't interfere with the verbal components of the spell) you gain a +1 CL for that spell. This doesn't increase the casting time for any spell with a casting time of 1 full-round action or above.

And an item to fuel the pickle feats:
Jar of pickles: This jar of pickles contains 50 pickles in brine. Each pickle is of average size. Price: 1 sp for the pickles and brine, 3 cp for the jar.

Note that this isn't supposed to be balanced in any way.

That makes no sense?

Blisstake
2011-03-29, 05:09 PM
Pickle Slayer
Requirement: Improved Unarmed Strike
Benefit: You grew up in a monastery dedicated to combating the deadly pickle arts. This feat provides a number of benefits to protect yourself against pickle-wielders and their ilk. You gain a +2 bonus to all saves against pickle-related effects. In addition, whenever you successfully hit a pickle-user with an unarmed strike, one pickle in their inventory is permanently destroyed. Finally, any character hit by one of your unarmed attacks cannot receive benefits from consuming pickles for a number of rounds equal to the damage delt.

vikingofdoom
2011-03-29, 05:12 PM
How does magic fuelling magic not make sense? Obviously the rest of the power is also magic. /sacrasm I'll fix the minor parts that I missed

Shyftir
2011-03-29, 06:00 PM
Pickles are overpowered.

I desire to sig this.

Jarian
2011-03-29, 06:01 PM
I desire to sig this.

Feel free. :smallwink:

Stycotl
2011-03-29, 06:27 PM

out of all of the chuckles that i got from this thread, this one made me laugh the loudest. too true.

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-29, 07:12 PM
...what have I done? :smalleek:

Jarian
2011-03-29, 07:14 PM
...what have I done? :smalleek:

Something glorious.

flabort
2011-03-29, 07:44 PM
Let's get us off this pickle kick, and onto something fuzzier.
(I haven't checked out Bhu's More Kittehs project yet, but these (joke) feats may help him out)

Kitty Litter Kick-up [Fighter]
Benefit: When standing on sand, kitty litter, or suffitiently softened dirt, you may make a move action to kick up a cloud of sand in a 5 foot area. Anything in this dust cloud has partial concealment. The cloud dissapates in 2d4 rounds.

Cuddly Kitten Crouch [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Pounce, Any feat with the word Kitten or Kitty in it's name, BaB +6
Benefit: If you use a move action to ready this ability, on the following turn you may make a charge, followed by a full attack, as with the pounce ability, and then gain an extra move action to use after the full attack.

Kitten Clawing Post [fighter]
Prerequisites: BaB +6
Benefit: You become immune to any attack dealt by claws from any creature two size categories smaller than you.

Leeham
2011-03-29, 07:58 PM
Ok, you've sucked me in, you fiends!

Way of the Kitteh
You paw at your foe and meow, softening your foes heart before you tenderise his face.

Prerequisite: BaB+3, Flurry of Blows class feature

Benefit: When ever you use your flurry of blows, you may instead make a "furry of meows" attack. This function like Flurry of Blows, but deals no damage. Instead, for every attack that hits the targets must make a Will save or become flat footed untill the start of your next turn as is distracted by the "coot widdle putty tat". The save DC for this effect is charisma based.

Ok, so meow doesn't rhyme with blows...

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-29, 08:33 PM
Must... resist... kitty... must... ignore... felines... must... stop... talking... like... this... must... DANCE...

Combat Dancer
You have unlocked the raw power of the rhythm flowing through you, the passion burning in your heart.
Prerequisites: Perform (Dance) 4 ranks
Benefits: As a move action, you may move 5 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity. Opponents with an Intelligence score of less than 3 or who possesses more ranks in Perform (Dance) than you may still make attacks of opportunity in this way.
Furthermore, you may make unarmed attacks even if your hands are full.

blackjack217
2011-03-29, 08:43 PM
Must... resist... kitty... must... ignore... felines... must... stop... talking... like... this... must... DANCE...

Combat Dancer
You have unlocked the raw power of the rhythm flowing through you, the passion burning in your heart.
Benefits: As a move action, you may move 5 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity. Opponents with an Intelligence score of less than 3 or who possesses more ranks in Perform (Dance) than you may still make attacks of opportunity in this way.
Furthermore, you may make unarmed attacks even if your hands are full.

five foot step.
Dance Fighting:
Benefits: As a swift action you may make a perform (dance) check. Add 1/5th the result to your hit roles for the round.

flabort
2011-03-29, 09:10 PM
Insane Dance Moves
Prerequisites: Perform (Dance) 8 ranks or more, wis 8 or less
Benefits: You may take a swift action and make a perform (dance) check, all those who observe you must make a DC 5+result will save or either be shakened for 2 rounds, or join in, having to make a Perform (Dance) check (untrained if need be) against an opposing perform (dance) check each round for two rounds or lose their move action that round. If you do not make an opposing perform (dance) check each round, they may make their check against DC 3.
special: each time this feat is taken beyond the first, the number of rounds this ability lasts increases by 1.

Dancing Kitty
Prerequisistes: Preform (Dance) 4 ranks or more
benefits: Any felines who observe you whenever you make a perform (dance) check must make a will save opposed by your perform (dance) check, or be fascinated by your motions as long as you keep making perform (dance) checks. Each round they are forced to do nothing, they get a cumulative +2 bonus to resist becoming fascinated by your dancing. This bonus lasts 24 hours, or until you are slain.

Sacrieur
2011-03-29, 09:12 PM
Kitteh Cute Face
You can make a face so adorable that foes struggle to attack you.

Prerequisites
Charisma score of 15 or above.

Benefit
All opponents with an Intelligence score of 6 or above must roll a will save with DC equal to 10 + your Cha modifier or become dazed.

flabort
2011-03-29, 09:42 PM
Bad Kitteh
Prerequisites: 3+ BaB, ability to cast create water.
Benefits: You can use this ability 3 times/day. Whenever a feline creature makes an aggressive or displeasing action towards you, you can produce a squirt of water out of your finger in a ranged touch attack against the creature. If it hits, it must make a will save against DC 15+your charisma modifier, or not be able to make that action towards you again for 1d6 rounds. You may not squirt it for the same action again until it repeats it. If you squirt it for the same action three or more times, it may no longer make that action towards you for 48 hours.
special: Each time you take this feat beyond the first, either the duration during which it may not make that action increases by 1d6, you may use this ability an additional 3 times/day, or the DC to save against this increases by 5, chosen when you take the feat.

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-29, 10:55 PM
five foot step.

Yes but my feat allows for 2 in the same round. :smallwink:

blackjack217
2011-03-29, 11:15 PM
Yes but my feat allows for 2 in the same round. :smallwink:

The simplest move action is moving your speed. If you take this kind of move action during your turn, you can’t also take a 5-foot step.

Many nonstandard modes of movement are covered under this category, including climbing (up to one-quarter of your speed) and swimming (up to one-quarter of your speed).
Ah no it does not.

Realms of Chaos
2011-03-29, 11:25 PM
Ah no it does not.

Yes it does. You can take two move actions (using the feat twice) to move a total of 10 feet without provoking AoO. Situational to be sure but it still works.

Eldan
2011-03-30, 03:30 AM
Dance feats, eh? It's on.

Background Dancer
Prerequisites: Spell Focus: Conjuration or Leadership, Perform: Dance 6 ranks
Benefit: As long as you have two or more companions or summoned creatures within 30 feet of yourself, they may all take a move action to give you a +2 bonus to all perform checks made during your next turn. The bonus from Background Dancer can be no greater than your character level.

Mangles
2011-03-30, 09:04 AM
I give you all the PICKLER (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10664742#post10664742)

Leeham
2011-03-30, 09:13 AM
Do you see? Do you see what your madness has wrought?

dragonjek
2011-03-30, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Prerequisites: None
Benefits: You are a far mightier opponent on your days off. On Saturdays and Sundays (and, at DM's discretion, Friday afternoons) you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.

Mewtarthio
2011-03-30, 11:59 AM
Between Worlds
Prerequesites: Housecat race

You may detect the dead and the dying as though by Scent with double its normal range. You automatically discern how long anyone so detected has been dead, as well as whether or not the manner of their death has cursed them to rise as an undead (though you gain no special insight into the precise details).

Guardian of the Living
Prerequisite: Between Worlds, Level 6

You have dedicated yourself to ensuring that the dead remain in their graves. You may make critical attacks against undead creatures as though they were living. Your claws also count as ghost touch weapons when used against undead creatures.

Arbiter of the Dead
Prerequisite: Between Worlds, Level 6

The words of the Books of Eternal Judgement are eternally etched in your mind. If you gaze into the eyes of any mortal, you immediately know their alignment and the plane to which their soul is destined after their death. You may attempt to amend this fate, as well: If you are in contact with a living creature at the moment of its death, you may send their soul to any plane that claims souls within one step of the creature's current alignment. The latter ability automatically fails if the soul is bound elsewhere by contract or magic, if any being whose HD or divine rank exceeds your own opts to judge the soul instead, or if you mistakenly attempt to send it to a plane more than one alignment step away from the soul's original destination.

Requiescat in Pace
Prerequisites: Guardian of the Living, Arbiter of the Dead, Level 12

The dead rest easy when you are watching them. If you are in contact with a corpse the moment it would become an undead, the magic is broken and the creature simply remains dead. When you use your Arbiter of the Dead ability to send a soul to the afterlife, you may declare that the creature will rest forever. Any magic that attempts to resurrect such a soul must win a caster level check against you (you may use your HD instead of your caster level, if it is better); failure indicates the particular caster may never try again. Furthermore, no god may use a salient divine ability to restore the creature to life unless its divine rank exceeds your own.

Veyr
2011-03-30, 12:15 PM
Now we need a Speaker for the Dead feat.

DracoDei
2011-03-30, 01:53 PM
if any being whose HD or divine rank exceeds your own opts to judge the soul instead, or if you mistakenly attempt to send it to a plane more than one alignment step away from the soul's original destination.

Furthermore, no god may use a salient divine ability to restore the creature to life unless its divine rank exceeds your own.
Does Divine Rank 0 count as more than not having a Divine Rank at all for these purposes?

Also, those are pretty cool, but I don't know if they hit the mark for "silly" unless explicitly combined with Bhu's stuff.

Blisstake
2011-03-30, 08:44 PM
It seems this thread's name has changed...

Deathdarken
2011-03-30, 08:50 PM
so its so crazy pickles, and cats mmmm a pickle wielding cat that would be scary