PDA

View Full Version : What would low Wisdom "look" like?

Sims
2011-03-28, 10:44 AM
I think low Intelligence would show as kinda like not speaking right, and trying to push a rock up a hill. Basically doing stupid stuff.

So what is low Wisdom? Is that not being aware when a T-Rex is sneaking up on you? Or is that Int as well?

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-28, 10:52 AM
Wisdom governs your ability to perceive the world around you. A low-wisdom character would thus be very oblivious, unable to distinguish sarcasm from fact, would be very, very easy to lie to, and would generally be a failure at anything relating to perception. A scatterbrain, so to speak.

Angry Bob
2011-03-28, 10:53 AM
They're abstractions intended to represent things we don't fully understand in real life, so keep in mind this is only how I usually play it, not the "one true way" or anything like that. I'm not looking for a fight.

Intelligence is your ability to memorize data and recall it accurately. It also represents your ability to connect data and draw accurate conclusions from it. High intelligence makes a character have lots of facts at his or her disposal and the ability to know when and where those facts apply. A low-intelligence character frequently draws incorrect conclusions from the facts they have and gets confused easily by getting lots of information at once.

Charisma is your ability to make people take you seriously. If you threaten them, they'll be scared. If you tell a joke, they'll laugh at the joke instead of how bad your delivery was.

Wisdom? Wisdom is basically everything not covered by the other two. It seems worded to be purposely nebulous, and the closest I can give you is that it's an excuse to have a brilliant wizard that's hilariously bad at day-to-day stuff.

EDIT: That's in addition to the perception stuff.

aldeayeah
2011-03-28, 10:57 AM
It's also a measure of willpower (along with Cha), so somebody with low Wis can be easily influenced.

Yora
2011-03-28, 11:08 AM
With high intelligence, you come up with really good and complex plans. With high Wisdom, you realize that these plans are making everything much more complicated than it has to.
When Calvins Mon thinks "How can a kid that is so smart be so damn stupid?", it's a case of high Int, low Wis. :smallbiggrin:

I'd say that in many cases, Intelligence is about the details, while Wisdom can be more about the big picture. So characters with low Wis don't have to be stupid in the usual sense, but they often miss how things are connceted with each other and what side effects a given course of action will have in addition to the immediate results.
Perception is also a factor, but I think less about actual sensory perception, but more about "social perception". Realizing that some people behave odd, getting an understanding of the relations between the nobles at court, and such things require Wisdom. With low Wisdom, characters are more likely to take things at face value and don't ask what's actually going on behind the scenes.

Flickerdart
2011-03-28, 11:20 AM
If you think of Intelligence as the "how", then Wisdom is the "why". A low-Wisdom character might do things for very nebulous reasons, and not do things that should have been obvious to do. But the things he does do are very thorough - you can bet that the death cannon he built on a dare the other day has a coffee machine and internet access.

Sims
2011-03-28, 11:21 AM
If you think of Intelligence as the "how", then Wisdom is the "why". A low-Wisdom character might do things for very nebulous reasons, and not do things that should have been obvious to do. But the things he does do are very thorough - you can bet that the death cannon he built on a dare the other day has a coffee machine and internet access.

Hahaha! Freaking dope! XD! You sir, win!

Corrik
2011-03-28, 11:23 AM
http://media.nerdblerp.com/uploaded/2010/10/1286759078_deadpool-movie.png

The Glyphstone
2011-03-28, 11:25 AM
No way. Deadpool has crazy high Wisdom, it's the only way he can make the Spot checks necessary to see the narration boxes.

Amphetryon
2011-03-28, 11:27 AM
http://www.gazette.uwo.ca/2003/June/5/Photos/06_nemo1.gif

Zanzanar
2011-03-28, 12:01 PM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/6444/dexn.jpg

Keinnicht
2011-03-28, 12:15 PM
Notice that the insane derro get a -6 penalty to wisdom?

Yeah, wisdom is partially a measure of how sane you are. Someone with low wisdom tends to be a little insane.

Shpadoinkle
2011-03-28, 12:24 PM
Wisdom is fairly nebulous and hard to pin down really. As mentioned, it ties into perception, but that's not all. It also represents willpower and 'common' sense (common being in quotes because it's actually pretty rare, but that's another discussion.)

If you're asking how a low wisdom character would act? Well, that would be characterized by things like poor impulse control, regularly taking stupid and/or unnecessary risks, having trouble learning from experience ("The exact same thing has happened the last five times I pushed this button, I wonder what'll happen THIS time!") short attention span, being easily suckered or talked into things, and general obliviousness, among a few other things.

Warlawk
2011-03-28, 12:46 PM
Intelligence is knowing that a Tomato is technically a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that you shouldn't put it in fruit salad.

I once watched someone carefully mix just the right amount of cleaning chemicals to take care of the residue on a ceiling and then flip the nozzle to mist and spray it straight up into the air before anyone could stop him. Of course the mist drizzled right down onto his upraised face (thankfully it was mostly non toxic "green" content and stung like hell but didn't hurt him). In the aftermath I actually thought to myself "that guy botched his Wis check."

The Glyphstone
2011-03-28, 12:56 PM
Wisdom is fairly nebulous and hard to pin down really. As mentioned, it ties into perception, but that's not all. It also represents willpower and 'common' sense (common being in quotes because it's actually pretty rare, but that's another discussion.)

If you're asking how a low wisdom character would act? Well, that would be characterized by things like poor impulse control, regularly taking stupid and/or unnecessary risks, having trouble learning from experience ("The exact same thing has happened the last five times I pushed this button, I wonder what'll happen THIS time!") short attention span, being easily suckered or talked into things, and general obliviousness, among a few other things.

Scientists have low wisdom, then. (http://xkcd.com/242/)

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-28, 01:11 PM
I seriously just read that comic five seconds ago waiting for this page to load. I hit random, that one came up, I tabbed back to this page and BAM. There it was again. This is going to be a weird day.

Ormur
2011-03-28, 01:13 PM
Personally I know that a person that can think about all sorts of complex problems and issues and yet not notice things happening around it and make stupid decision concerning every day things, like hanging unwashed clothes out to dry.

Yora
2011-03-28, 01:27 PM
I would call that inattention or absend mindedness.

Regular low Wis would be to hang the washed clothes out to dry while a storm is approaching. :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2011-03-28, 01:30 PM
From the D&Demotivator's thread

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/361/highintlowwismotivator.jpg

flabort
2011-03-28, 02:04 PM
Yeah, I'd say that describes it perfectly.

Ormur
2011-03-28, 03:14 PM
I would call that inattention or absend mindedness.

Regular low Wis would be to hang the washed clothes out to dry while a storm is approaching. :smallbiggrin:

It's the difference between Wis 8 and Wis 6.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-03-29, 04:10 AM
I generally look at the skills to determine what a low stat would affect;

penalties to Heal, Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival

So generally oblivious to things (low spot sense motive and listen) also not very good at practical everyday skills (low Heal and Profession) low ability to survive without aid (low survival).

Of course this can be improved by spending skill ranks but as a generalisation it works quite well

NNescio
2011-03-29, 04:29 AM
I think low Intelligence would show as kinda like not speaking right, and trying to push a rock up a hill. Basically doing stupid stuff.

So what is low Wisdom? Is that not being aware when a T-Rex is sneaking up on you? Or is that Int as well?

See Nale and maybe his mother.

Also, Belkar.

CigarPete
2011-03-29, 12:45 PM
Current character I am playing is low Wis (8) high Int. I play the low Wis as occasionally blurting things out that probably shouldn't be said in public, or occasionally making choices that sound good but don't always work out so well, i.e. sleeping with the wrong people or arguing that the party should work for the lich as he asked us to, instead of kill him.

flabort
2011-03-29, 01:42 PM
8 wis I'd call below average, not low. I'd call 7 or 6 wis low, though, so the line is kinda blurry.
Quite frankly, I think I've got 7 or 8 wis, and 11 or 12 int, but... Ya know, it may be closer to 10 int. The system isn't really intended to mimic RL, so I could even be 16 int. Highly doubtfull. Very. I really doubt anyone's 16 int. But, whatever.
Anyone got something to take away the taste of Snow-covered boot?

Crimsontofu
2013-11-12, 10:42 AM
Low wisdom looks more forgetful, weak willed, and unaware than anything. Wisdom doesn't govern your ability to think in any way, it governs your mental strength and perception. I like to think of it as the minds constitution, where as intelligence is the minds dexterity and charisma is it's strength.

(Visually a character with low wisdom would probably have 'dull' eyes and vice versa with high wisdom.)

Vaz
2013-11-12, 11:32 AM
Animals are Low Int; 1-2 usually (always?; let's not bring the Awakened argument into it) and they get confused by a Mirror.

Human babies have low Int; they genuinely believe when you play "Where's the baby" that you are no longer there because you're hidden from their sight.

A Wisdom of 8 isn't doing particularly stupid things, it's just that they don't have as great a grasp on things as anyone else.

If it's tied to perception, two people with equal vision looking at a man hiding on a hill the same distance away, the higher wisdom character has a 5% chance of seeing the target before the lower wisdom character; if taking 20 is 2 minutes and an automatic success, this means it takes the lower wisdom character around 6 seconds longer to identify that the odd lump is a man; a low-low Wis character would take nearly 20 seconds to see him, even while being aided by the high Wisdom character; and even with Binoculars (+2 to spot), the slightly less Wise character takes just the same time, while without aid, it would take him 30 seconds longer of dedicated "spotting" to see the person.

In regards to profession, one normal person does the same job that an unwise one does; say working on a bar. They are both untrained, and both roll the same result; 10 (they've worked equally as hard); The wise person (Wis 10) makes 5gp. The Unwise person (Wis 2) only makes 1gp; perhaps because they make comments that aren't liked by the punters. Meanwhile, the wisest old coot (Commoner 1) in the land with a Wisdom of 21 doing that same job would recieve 10gp for the same work; he knows what to say to the customers, can make the kids happy, flirt with the women, and talk sport with the boys.

TheDarkSaint
2013-11-12, 12:35 PM
I see Wisdom as your ability to make good life choices.

Cobra Commander? Low Wisdom

King Jeoffrey (Game of Thrones) Low Wisdom

Keyser Sose (Usual Suspects) High Wisdom

Emperor Palpatine: High Wisdom

It's making the right choice at the right time with the information that you have. It's knowing that when the animals stop making noise, someone might be near (Listen) or that cloth shouldn't move like that in the wind (Spot)

It's knowing how to correctly estimate your opponent. (Underestimation seem to be a big thing with Cartoon Villains)

It's knowing when to strike and when to talk, when to apply force and when to shut up. It's being able to read people and know who to trust and who you need to keep an eye on.

You know, good life choices.

Kudaku
2013-11-12, 01:12 PM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/255/c/d/wile_e_coyote_by_fagian-d2ykt4e.png

Garktz
2013-11-12, 02:57 PM
high int low wis would be Sheldon Cooper from big bang theory

Zanos
2013-11-12, 02:58 PM
high int low wis would be Sheldon Cooper from big bang theory
Sheldon would probably have garbage charisma, more likely.

I believe the classical example of High Int, Low Wis, is the "absent-minded professor."

Lord Haart
2013-11-12, 03:21 PM
Well, i'm currently playing (again, after a few months of other campaigns) a 16 int, 2 wis dwarfess. She's a wizard, much into conjuration and transmutation. She believes that Far Realms aberrations are not inherently bad but instead just as scared of us as we are of them, and that it is possible to find a way to coexist with them by being nice enough to each other (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThePowerOfFriendship); that's why she kinda fell out with her alienist teacher, who was very strict about controlling his aberrations and abjuring any way they can harm him, while she insisted they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Due to being used to at-will teleportation, she kinda lost the big idea of distance; she's very absent-minded, chatty and enthusiastic, and she can't for her life understand why would people dislike her magically improving (Fuse Arms, etc.) them. Generally, she's clever, figures things out well and has really good magical knowledge, but has a way of utterly, catastrophically misinterpreting everything (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WrongGenreSavvy). Her companion (another PC) is a criminal, murderer and burglar, who participated in some criminal activity even as she obliviously watched and helped; just this Sunday, a city guard tried to tell her that much and got a scolding of his life, since she knows for a fact that her friend is the most honest dwarf there is and any such nonsence is either a shameless attempt to frame him or a result of misled divination, which, to your knowledge, sir, is quite possible, i believe i can cast a lot of divination-results-fabricating spells myself if i had, like, six years of research or so, so go and triple-check your data!

A Tad Insane
2013-11-12, 03:21 PM
High intelligence means you know how the thing works using highly scientific terms, high wisdom means you can make a good metaphor to explain how it works to those with no ranks in the appropriate knowledge. Low int means you don't know how the thing works, and low wis means you punch it to get it working. Read some darwin awards, you'll figure it out eventually (if you have high enough wis yourself)

ImaDeadMan
2013-11-12, 03:29 PM
Think of the Absent Minded Professor. Really smart guy, but pretty lacking in common sense.

TripleD
2013-11-12, 03:48 PM
If "Races of the Dragon" is to be believed, low Wisdom people are very bad at digging holes.

Angelalex242
2013-11-12, 04:12 PM
Given low wisdom contributes to bad sense motive, low will saves, and low perception...

I'd say the classic 'girl who enters a relationship with a bad boy thinking he's sincere when he says I love you and then stays with him even if he's abusive' is the definition of a terrible wisdom score.

Sam K
2013-11-12, 04:42 PM
High int and low wis and you know "almost EVERYTHING". High int high wis and you know "ALMOST everything".

AKA_Bait
2013-11-12, 04:48 PM
Similar discussion over on this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314112)

Person_Man
2013-11-12, 04:51 PM
Do you remember being a teenager?

It looks exactly like that.

Brookshw
2013-11-12, 05:55 PM

ROFL, win!

Amphetryon
2013-11-12, 06:09 PM

No way! When I was a teenager I knew everything. . .

Oh.

TuggyNE
2013-11-12, 06:53 PM

And thread is won.

KoboldMasteRace
2013-11-12, 06:54 PM
Low-Wis: Not noticing that you guys are all thread necromancers.

Lower-Wis: Realizing while typing that this makes me one, too :/

SlyJohnny
2013-11-12, 06:58 PM
Wisdom is mental alertness. ADD is low Wis :) If you've walked around with a coffee stain on your shirt all day, you might have low Wis. If you're good at maths but contrive to burn your dinner a considerable proportion of the time, that's high int and low wis.

Osiris
2013-11-13, 06:13 PM
This guy.
https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=958&q=winnie+the+pooh+owl&oq=winnie+the+pooh+owl&gs_l=img.3..0l10.3244.6647.0.6948.19.11.0.8.8.1.12 8.809.8j3.11.0....0...1ac.1.31.img..1.18.770.YDv4p GGOUaU
Absent minded professor right here.
Thinks he's smart- he is. His wisdom's abysmal though.

Emperor Tippy
2013-11-13, 09:20 PM
Wisdom is the "what" while Intelligence is the "how".

A high Wis low Int character would quickly recognize what the problem is but wouldn't be able to explain how that problem came to be or how it can be solved.

A low Wis high Int character wouldn't recognize what the problem was correctly in the first place but will be able to explain exactly how "the problem" came to be and how "the problem" can be solved.

Captnq
2013-11-13, 10:37 PM
Mauve. Possibly paisley.

High wisdom is chartreuse.

Lightlawbliss
2013-11-13, 11:39 PM
It looks like me... Not that that does anyone any good

Con_Brio1993
2013-11-14, 12:13 AM
High Int, low Wis = Absent Minded Professor

Qc Storm
2013-11-14, 12:29 AM
At my table, the go-to example for High Int, Low wis is the Bulletball guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

Video here for those interested.