PDA

View Full Version : Ioun Battalion!

Qwertystop
2011-03-28, 10:52 AM
I want to build a character that has a small battalion of spellcasting Ioun Stones. What class would be able to get by with a minimal amount of other equipment (no tier 1 classes), and would be able to work with the stones easily? Crafting them personally is optional but good.

Also, what are some good cost-efficient spells to put on them? 2 or 3 of a spell is fine, but I want some variety. No enchantment or illusion.

Tyger
2011-03-28, 02:23 PM
I have to admit to being unfamiliar with "spellcasting" Ioun Stones. Are you referring to Spell Storing ones??

If so, you'll need to be a caster of some sort, or have a caster with you at all times, in order to re-cast spells into the stones after you expend the spell stored within them.

If there is another type of Ioun Stone I am unfamiliar with, I'm unable to assist... without a reference that is.

Vulaas
2011-03-28, 02:45 PM
Only way I can see to make that happen is making them all intelligent items with a power that allows blasting.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-03-28, 02:51 PM
Druids are known for not really needing equipment completely, being able to wildshape... but if you're focusing more on the stones, you might not be wild shaping enough to offset the lack of other equipment.

I suppose warlock (Complete Arcane) could work too, being able to fly constantly from a low level and fire eldritch blasts instead of using a weapon.

Qwertystop
2011-03-28, 04:44 PM
I have to admit to being unfamiliar with "spellcasting" Ioun Stones. Are you referring to Spell Storing ones??

If so, you'll need to be a caster of some sort, or have a caster with you at all times, in order to re-cast spells into the stones after you expend the spell stored within them.

If there is another type of Ioun Stone I am unfamiliar with, I'm unable to assist... without a reference that is.

I saw someone mention something like this exact concept, only saying that it would be awesome to have a character with 50 or so stones of Scorching Ray just for the sake of launching a hundred lasers from your "halo" a while ago, and I assumed that I had just missed it. Maybe it was just making Slotless Eternal Wands?

Tyger
2011-03-28, 05:54 PM
I saw someone mention something like this exact concept, only saying that it would be awesome to have a character with 50 or so stones of Scorching Ray just for the sake of launching a hundred lasers from your "halo" a while ago, and I assumed that I had just missed it. Maybe it was just making Slotless Eternal Wands?

Well, I suppose that is theoretically possible, though I, as a DM, would never allow anyone to create slotless eternal wands... and if I did, each one would still take a standard action to activate - so no launching 50 lasers of death at once. I am certain some of the TOpers around here can come up with a way to do it thought. :) We have some pretty creative folks here.

Qwertystop
2011-03-28, 06:15 PM
Well, I suppose that is theoretically possible, though I, as a DM, would never allow anyone to create slotless eternal wands... and if I did, each one would still take a standard action to activate - so no launching 50 lasers of death at once. I am certain some of the TOpers around here can come up with a way to do it thought. :) We have some pretty creative folks here.

I just realized that it might also have been Psicrystals.

If they can cast spells, then they could ready an action to cast their spell on a verbal command from their owner, and just do nothing until then.

Would that work?