PDA

View Full Version : No superior weapons...

Vallum
2011-03-28, 04:49 PM
So, as stated in the title, what is a Barbarian to do without superior versions of weapons?

Why? My DM has decided that he did not like superior weapons in his game, and to obtain even one of them would take me well over what its worth just to find a mundane version of, say, a fullblade for example.

So, the DM, however, is allowing me to two-hand a bastard sword without a feat and still gain the versatile bonus, (thus, no reason for a greatsword). My concern is if it worth it for my Half-Orc barbarian, (he's a pirate captain), to go with a bastard sword, or to find a different weapon group that will be better without the superior weapons?

Nu
2011-03-28, 05:15 PM
The bastard sword remains perfectly serviceable under that ruling, else a halberd or greataxe if you prefer axe/polearm support to heavy blade support. Unfortunately your only option for spear support is the longspear under these conditions, and spear support is quite good (Spear Expertise and Surprising Charge both go well with what the Barbarian wants to do--charge).

Vallum
2011-03-28, 05:25 PM
The bastard sword remains perfectly serviceable under that ruling, else a halberd or greataxe if you prefer axe/polearm support to heavy blade support. Unfortunately your only option for spear support is the longspear under these conditions, and spear support is quite good (Spear Expertise and Surprising Charge both go well with what the Barbarian wants to do--charge).

I am a fan of accuracy, which swords give me, but I just wanted to verify that it would be me best plan. Spiked chain was starting to look tasty, especially with the multiclass-replacement feat, (light blade support + flail support looked groovy)... But then I would have to TWF to have it count as light blade + flail, which is... underwhelming for a barbarian, (if I was playing a ranger or even a dual strike fighter, I'd think differently about twf)

Kurald Galain
2011-03-28, 05:29 PM
So, as stated in the title, what is a Barbarian to do without superior versions of weapons?
Use regular weapons, of course. That's not a big deal, most superior weapons aren't that much better. Also, this way you save a feat to spend on something more interesting.

Nu
2011-03-28, 05:35 PM
I am a fan of accuracy, which swords give me, but I just wanted to verify that it would be me best plan. Spiked chain was starting to look tasty, especially with the multiclass-replacement feat, (light blade support + flail support looked groovy)... But then I would have to TWF to have it count as light blade + flail, which is... underwhelming for a barbarian, (if I was playing a ranger or even a dual strike fighter, I'd think differently about twf)

The spiked chain is a superior weapon anyway, isn't it?

Vallum
2011-03-28, 07:14 PM
The spiked chain is a superior weapon anyway, isn't it?

It is?::Checks::

Oh wow, I guess it is. who-da-thunk...

LibraryOgre
2011-03-28, 07:21 PM
IIRC, Weapon focus works out about the same as Superior Weapon proficiency, except in cases like Brutal traits.

Nu
2011-03-28, 10:25 PM
IIRC, Weapon focus works out about the same as Superior Weapon proficiency, except in cases like Brutal traits.

This is probably mostly the case for attacks that deal around 1[W] damage. When you start piling on the [W]s the bigger damage dice really shine.

With that said, it's not going to hurt all that much. Military weapons are plenty good enough. I would miss the gouge on the barbarian, though (2d6 brutal weapon with spear/axe support, oh so lovely).