PDA

View Full Version : spell to power erudite

No brains
2011-03-28, 07:13 PM
I assume this lets an erudite learn spells as powers, but...

1 Where do I find this spell to power rule

2 What is it about spell to power that makes the erudite so bad(good)?

Zonugal
2011-03-28, 07:20 PM
For location it is found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a).

Regarding your second question as to why it makes them so bad (good), it makes them terrifically good (some may consider it over-powered) as it lends them an extreme versatility. I could go into greater details but I'd rather have some truly knowledgeable about the Erudite cover the more intricate details.

erikun
2011-03-28, 07:30 PM
As for why they are so good, nearly every spell is available in arcane form from one source or another. The Wizard, Bard, and Wu-Jen spell lists will cover nearly anything you could want, and it is entirely possible for an arcane caster to create a new spell for the effect you could want.

Consider what a Wizard/Archivist could do with his massive potential spell list, only with everything memorized and casting as a Sorcerer. The fact that spells are almost always better than powers just makes the deal sweeter for the Erudite. They can just nearly any magical wand or staff, as they now effectively have every arcane spell on their list, so the limited uses per day is no more of a problem than for a standard Wizard.

Perhaps the only thing comparable in sheer versatility is the Psionic Artificer (which, due to an odd printing, can make any magical item along with any psionic item).

term1nally s1ck
2011-03-28, 07:41 PM
Perhaps the only thing comparable in sheer versatility is the Psionic Artificer (which, due to an odd printing, can make any magical item along with any psionic item).

And has access to the horribly overpowered persisted Timeless Body.

Felyndiira
2011-03-28, 07:45 PM
Learn Mental Pinnacle using StP, gain infinite PP.

Also, spells that are limited by their expensive material costs are completely free to you (honestly, +2 PP means absolutely nothing compared to, say, 1500 GP in rubies). Forcecage is the most obvious core spell to cheapen in this manner, although with some shaky interpretations you can also fabricate, and if you fancy necromancy, create greater undead for free.

Even without tricks, gaining the versatility of the wizard/sorcerer spell list (which is considerably more padded by splat-books than psionics), even at -1 level, is a very powerful benefit in itself.

No brains
2011-03-29, 07:51 PM
Okay, that is barfingly powerful. Well, I'll just take my ban-hammer and (s)quash spell to power out of any of my games...

...unless there's a good reason to leave it in?

Aspenor
2011-03-29, 07:56 PM
...unless there's a good reason to leave it in?

Unless you purposefully restrict the player's access to spells, there isn't one. Such a restriction isn't that difficult to do, though.

erikun
2011-03-29, 08:26 PM
A better question might be, why are you adding it? What does the StP Erudite do that can't be accomplished by the standard Erudite or the Wizard? What kind of character is the player trying to make, where a Psion that can learn Wizard spells was a good fit?

No brains
2011-03-29, 08:43 PM
It was ME! As the DM, for my setting, I wanted to make a character who knew every spell/ possibly power, just because they could be an interesting character in the history of the world. An erudite/archivist gestalt seems like a good candidate for that kind of shenanigans.

But I also wondered how practical trying to get every friggin' spell. You would have to derail the rest of the party's efforts to fill your selection. It would undoubtedly be an asset, but I can see it getting pretty boring, every quest being a trip to get a new spell would prove a weak motivation. This idea is much better suited for an NPC who gives an in-game explanation for fiat and rule zero events.

classy one
2011-03-29, 08:49 PM
Can erudite manifest divine spells? Thought there was a way to do that. Not that they aren't broken as it is, but why go half way?

What's so powerful about a psionic artificer? I mean compared to a regular one? I was reading magic of Eberron and couldn't see anything too great about them. If anything they seem weaker since psionic items are generally inferior to magic ones.

Aspenor
2011-03-29, 09:00 PM
Can erudite manifest divine spells? Thought there was a way to do that. Not that they aren't broken as it is, but why go half way?
If they can find an arcane version, sure. Like, arcane versions of divine scrolls from Wyrm Wizards and such.

What's so powerful about a psionic artificer? I mean compared to a regular one? I was reading magic of Eberron and couldn't see anything too great about them. If anything they seem weaker since psionic items are generally inferior to magic ones.

Through a loophole in the rules, psionic artificers can make both psionic and magical items.

term1nally s1ck
2011-03-29, 09:14 PM

A) They can make both, because editing fails.

B) Persisted Timeless Body.

erikun
2011-03-29, 09:30 PM
It was ME! As the DM, for my setting, I wanted to make a character who knew every spell/ possibly power, just because they could be an interesting character in the history of the world. An erudite/archivist gestalt seems like a good candidate for that kind of shenanigans.
Just make a standard triple Erudite//Wizard//Archivist gestalt, or something similar. To be fair, you could easily know every spell as an Erudite//Archivist, as mentioned earlier, because the Archivist can scribe basically any spell into their spellbook through a few shenanigans. You don't even need an Erudite either: Psychic Chirurgery (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicChirurgery.htm) and Metaconcert on a Psion will be able to transfer any power to themselves, with a little bit of work and a lot of XP cost.

An Erudite would need to be epic level to be able to learn everything anyways, and even that would be questionable. Erudites are limited to one level lower for powers outside the basic Psion/Wilder list, and they technically never can learn "10th-level powers".

classy one
2011-03-29, 11:22 PM
A) They can make both, because editing fails.

B) Persisted Timeless Body.

How can you persist a power when there isn't even a metapsi feat called persistent power (unless you use 3rd party material).
Someone needs to show me how you persist things on items like power Stones and scrolls. I thought persisting a scroll of heroic spirit had a DC of over 65 (add 3 times the metaspell cost to the DC). Which is kind of high. I would think timeless body would be even worse.

term1nally s1ck
2011-03-30, 08:23 AM
How can you persist a power when there isn't even a metapsi feat called persistent power (unless you use 3rd party material).
Someone needs to show me how you persist things on items like power Stones and scrolls. I thought persisting a scroll of heroic spirit had a DC of over 65 (add 3 times the metaspell cost to the DC). Which is kind of high. I would think timeless body would be even worse.

3.0 is grandfathered into 3.5. Any material that gets an official update is legal, and anything in said material that is not changed is legal.

Persistent Power is 3.0, the book got updated to 3.5 (I do not remember if it was CompPsi or the XPH), and Persistent Power was not included.

Psionic Artificier has the ability Metamagic Item.

classy one
2011-03-30, 02:30 PM
3.0 is grandfathered into 3.5. Any material that gets an official update is legal, and anything in said material that is not changed is legal.

Persistent Power is 3.0, the book got updated to 3.5 (I do not remember if it was CompPsi or the XPH), and Persistent Power was not included.

Psionic Artificier has the ability Metamagic Item.

So persisted power is still legal even though it wasn't reprinted?

Metamagic item to Persist a level 5 spell on a scroll is around 65. Which is really high. Is there a way that I am reading it wrong or is there another trick to this that I'm not seeing here?

olentu
2011-03-30, 02:45 PM
So persisted power is still legal even though it wasn't reprinted?

Metamagic item to Persist a level 5 spell on a scroll is around 65. Which is really high. Is there a way that I am reading it wrong or is there another trick to this that I'm not seeing here?

Well that depends does everything in an reprinted source that is not explicitly excluded count as valid even though the source is completely reprinted without that text. I.e. does monkey grip allow one to use a two handed weapon in one hand since the new version of the feat while not including the text about doing so has not explicitly contradicted it (I know the example is not perfect but you should get the idea). If the answer is yes all old text except in places explicitly removed still exists and is valid in reprinted material then persistent power still exists on the other hand if when something is reprinted removal of text is equivalent to saying that said text is invalid then no persistent power I believe does not exist as I recall that the source it was in was reprinted.