PDA

View Full Version : Help...?

darkone123
2011-03-28, 07:38 PM
Alright my DM put me against possibly one of the most annoying challenges ever...

The Challenge

Fighting one of the three guardians of Aumadaus.

Its a mile tall stone golem with mooks that shoot magic missile.

What I am/have at my disposal

I am currently a level 18 Duskblade, with my team of a lvl 18 cleric, lvl 18 knight, archdevil Bael (1st layer of hell lord...but the first 4 layers of hell have been destroyed) and a couple of other lvl 20 demons.

(Gotta love making high lvl demons fight for you cuz your're just that good)

Keep in Mind

Stone Golems are immune to ****ing magic, its a mile high thus HACKING ITS HEAD OFF wont work :smallfurious:

Also my dm said it took him 2 seconds to think of how to kill it.

CAN ANYONE HELP??? ITS ****ING MIND BOGGLING!!!!!

best thing i got so far is making it punch itself by me using dimension door right before it hits me...

also... tripping will just make it fall... it'll get back up...

My actual goal

I need to stall it for 10 minutes so my troops can pack the hell up and run the **** away and if i manage to kill it i get 45k exp for all in my party! thats enough to get me straight to 20 ... or just about.

This is my last time EVER going to hell and looting all their gear.

Amnestic
2011-03-28, 07:49 PM
Also my dm said he made the way to kill it in 2 seconds.

Impressive, since a round lasts 6 seconds :smalltongue:

The Crom Faeyr (halfway down the page) (http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/itemguide.php) warhammer automatically kills Stone Golems on hit, so that'd do it. ;D

Do Arrows of Slaying work?

darkone123
2011-03-28, 07:56 PM
I wont have time to get that hammer or arrows... I'm literally right in front of it haha, i got shield up to not get hurt by the magic missiles.

darkone123
2011-03-28, 07:57 PM
EDIT

Sry, i ment that he thought of the idea on how to kill it in 2 seconds haha, it'll take ROUNDS and ROUNDS to actually kill it i assume. He said it wont be easy.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-28, 08:04 PM
i got shield up to not get hurt by the magic missiles.

That... That isn't how that works.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-28, 08:04 PM
Step 1: Cast Shield.
Step 2: Cast Fly.
Step 3: Go higher than it can reach.
Step 4: Drop stuff on its head until it dies.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit.

darkone123
2011-03-28, 08:05 PM

shield the spell

HappyBlanket
2011-03-28, 08:05 PM

Doesn't Shield negate force missile damage?
edit: Ninja'd

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-28, 08:20 PM
Ah. That makes much more sense. But seriously. Glyphstone has the right of it here. Fly over it, drop things til it dies. Also, you've got a Cleric on your team. Why would he run away? Clerics are one of the stronger classes in D&D.

Last Laugh
2011-03-28, 08:21 PM

Are you perhaps thinking of the solid metal thinks you place between yourself and pointy bits? I'm guessing he means shield, the spell which negates MM.

darkone123
2011-03-28, 08:37 PM
Step 1: Cast Shield.
Step 2: Cast Fly.
Step 3: Go higher than it can reach.
Step 4: Drop stuff on its head until it dies.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit.

if only it'd be that easy... :(

The Glyphstone
2011-03-28, 08:38 PM
Clearly you need to give us more information then, because as printed, there is no reason why that would fail. Stone golems cannot fly no matter how tall they are, and they have no ranged attacks.

darkone123
2011-03-28, 08:42 PM
Ah. That makes much more sense. But seriously. Glyphstone has the right of it here. Fly over it, drop things til it dies. Also, you've got a Cleric on your team. Why would he run away? Clerics are one of the stronger classes in D&D.

Well, as far as going out of its reach and dropping things on its head until it dies... im thinking that it'll take HOURS to do that.... i mean i'll raise it to my DM but its already a mile tall, a mile high in any atmosphere will be freezing and lacking air, thus killing us... but i'll see if thats possible... also idk wtf i can throw on it that'd be big enough to do any good amount of dmg considering i pump out about 1k dmg per round and my dm told me straight out that it'd take me about an hour of hacking at it to kill it. If i even lived an hour fighting it (if im slammed between its hands im dead, if im grabbed im dead. If im hit i take MASSIVE damage). Also my cleric.... he's good but spells wont work on it, as far as miracle goes I dont believe it'll work in hell cuz we're fighting a guardian of hell, gods dont like interfering with the hells.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-28, 08:46 PM
i mean i'll raise it to my DM but its already a mile tall, a mile high in any atmosphere will be freezing and lacking air, thus killing us...

Not even a little true. Not at all. A mile in the air is only 5,280 feet. The highest parachute jump on record was from 102,800 feet from a hot-air balloon. A mile is not that high. Most skydivers don't even inflate their parachutes until they're about 2,600 feet from the ground.

The Glyphstone
2011-03-28, 08:47 PM
Well, as far as going out of its reach and dropping things on its head until it dies... im thinking that it'll take HOURS to do that.... i mean i'll raise it to my DM but its already a mile tall, a mile high in any atmosphere will be freezing and lacking air, thus killing us... but i'll see if thats possible... also idk wtf i can throw on it that'd be big enough to do any good amount of dmg considering i pump out about 1k dmg per round and my dm told me straight out that it'd take me about an hour of hacking at it to kill it. If i even lived an hour fighting it (if im slammed between its hands im dead, if im grabbed im dead. If im hit i take MASSIVE damage). Also my cleric.... he's good but spells wont work on it, as far as miracle goes I dont believe it'll work in hell cuz we're fighting a guardian of hell, gods dont like interfering with the hells.

is your GM a Shadow of the Colossus fan?

HappyBlanket
2011-03-28, 08:50 PM

Please say yes. Oh please, oh please oh please.
OP, I hope you have ranks in Climb, Jump, and Spot.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-28, 09:03 PM
Also, Handle Animal.

Although, in retrospect, that horse never did what you wanted anyway.

darkone123
2011-03-28, 11:24 PM

doubtful, he just sent us to hell for a bit to get gear to fight the gods of all gods.

(top evil god which he made vs the top good god, the good god has pelor and all the other gods on his team while the evil god ate any god allied with him absorbing their power. (Good god is aligned with Nerul, and other evil gods too...))

And about that mile thing, i guess you're right, but idk, if we get enough height with a heavy enough weight and drop it we might be able to do a bit of dmg, fall dmg is 1d6/10ft if im correct. Hitting it would be sorta hard though, i can see my dm doing some **** stuff like "its hard to see him, make a spot check" etc... but i'll try the height thing, any other ideas though?

HappyBlanket
2011-03-28, 11:59 PM
doubtful, he just sent us to hell for a bit to get gear to fight the gods of all gods.

(top evil god which he made vs the top good god, the good god has pelor and all the other gods on his team while the evil god ate any god allied with him absorbing their power. (Good god is aligned with Nerul, and other evil gods too...))

And about that mile thing, i guess you're right, but idk, if we get enough height with a heavy enough weight and drop it we might be able to do a bit of dmg, fall dmg is 1d6/10ft if im correct. Hitting it would be sorta hard though, i can see my dm doing some **** stuff like "its hard to see him, make a spot check" etc... but i'll try the height thing, any other ideas though?

If your DM says it's hard to see him, remind him that the Stone Golem is a mile high and perhaps half that wide. It's a big target.

As for getting objects to drop... Iunno, get the cleric to cast Gate and get creative.

Arbane
2011-03-29, 12:32 AM
Transmute Rock to Mud under its feet and let it sink to the core of the planet?

Crossblade
2011-03-29, 02:55 AM
Your DM doesn't think using Rock to Mud works on it, right? Nor does he think anti-magic fields, etc can nullify a golem? Check.

Following that, kill a cat girl.
A quick google states:
Stone (common, generic) weights 2515 kg/ cubic Meter
1 Miles = 1609 Meters
2515*1609= 4,046,635 kg

Or 8,921,310 lbs (maybe more than that if I'm wrong about cubing weight)

State 8 to 9 million pounds will fall into the ground, and the golem won't be able to move while standing up. It will only be able to lie flat on the ground, as a mountain.

Alternatively (or additionally), argue that due to it's size, it is considered earth. Summon Earth Elementals to dig through it and displace + destroy it from the inside, slowly ripping it apart.

Yora
2011-03-29, 05:52 AM
This assumes a golem that is 1 mile high but only one meter wide and long. :smallbiggrin:

Let's say it's 1600m tall, 400m wide, and 200m long. That makes 300 million tonnes. Not 4000 tonnes.

Firechanter
2011-03-29, 06:43 AM
That is no moon...

Any idea how many HP it has? And what kind of DR?

_Normal_ stone golems can be killed by anyone with a construct bane bow and a stack of adamantine-tipped arrows.

Another caveat, IME whenever a DM says things like "took me 2 seconds to think of a way how you could make it", it most often is A) a totally obscure idea that anyone else won't think of in a hundred years, and B) contains a major misunderstanding about the game rules and wouldn't even work by RAW.

Apart from that, I hope you have Stone to Flesh prepped or available -- it won't directly hurt the bugger but make it vulnerable to Magic.
It should have only 1 point CHA and just a few points of DEX, so if you have some way of bringing either of those down to 0, it's out.
(If a Large stone golem has Dex 9, and a Huge one has Dex 7, a super-colossal one should probably only have Dex 1.)
edit: Scratch that... I forgot constructs are immune to ability damage AND ability drain.

If it's really a mile high (which I find idiotic in and of itself), what are its Reach and Speed?

Eldan
2011-03-29, 06:50 AM
Grease.

Wanna bet it has no ranks in balance? :smalltongue:

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-29, 07:04 AM
Grease.

Wanna bet it has no ranks in balance? :smalltongue:

This. This all the time.

Firechanter
2011-03-29, 07:04 AM
Being of such a ridiculous size, it's bounde to have pretty huge feet and won't even notice a 10ft greasy square. Unless of course you manage to coat about 1000*1000ft in Grease. That's only 10.000 castings, have fun!

Yora
2011-03-29, 07:06 AM
Tough it might not destroy the golem, this would probably destroy everything in at least a 10 mile radius. It will takes hours or days for the dust to settle. And if it falls into a lake, you're really screwed. :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2011-03-29, 07:22 AM
Technically, the grease spell never specifies that a creature has to be entirely within the area. Just that if it is in the area, it falls. :smalltongue:

Silly, I know. But possible. Also, at these levels, a more sophisticated approach isn't impossible. Get a small army of low level casters and give each of them a 1-charge wand of grease.

Or open a gate to the plane of ooze.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-29, 08:31 AM
It's magical grease. A frictionless substance, such as could only be created through magic. As soon as any part of the beings foot contacted the grease, it would smear it in a streak as long as its foot is, negating the need for multiple castings.

mootoall
2011-03-29, 12:22 PM
Hmm ... Let's see how many things we can do. Firstly, Gating in expendible Solars or such will let your Cleric's damage output be huge. Rock to Mud under its feet should make it sink. Any SR: no spells. Your Cleric could Miracle up a few metamagick'd Orb spells, perhaps? I don't know if you have access to the immunity to HP damage trick via Favored of the Martyr and ... some other spell(s). I forget which.

Sacrieur
2011-03-29, 12:43 PM
Summon a stone elemental above his head.

Epsilon Rose
2011-03-29, 02:35 PM
Three varyingly absurd and probably impractical ideas:

Lot's of portable hole/bag of holding bombs. Possibly putting the portable holes on the gollem first and possibly time-stopping to make them all go of at once.
Precipitate planar breach: Far Realms (or somewhere else inimical to stone golems). At the very least Cthulhu should make for a great distraction.
Could you somehow arrange for some orbs of destruction or umbral blots?

Corrik
2011-03-29, 03:01 PM
Well since you are that level I assume you have a bag of holding dedicated to nothing but oil, alchemist's fire, etc.? Just use that. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is nothing in this game that an appropriate amount of oil and a tindertwig cannot solve.

darkone123
2011-03-29, 05:15 PM
basically its dex is about a 10? the dm said it moves fast for its size. It can also reach anywhere on your body a normal human would be able to.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-29, 05:16 PM
basically its dex is about a 10? the dm said it moves fast for its size. It can also reach anywhere on your body a normal human would be able to.

I assume you mean on it's own body?
Because the alternative is kinda squicky.

darkone123
2011-03-29, 05:16 PM
also we're on the 5th lvl of hell... if we go to far up we hit the 4th layer of hell... and hell isn't that large of a plane believe it or not.

darkone123
2011-03-29, 05:18 PM
I assume you mean on it's own body?
Because the alternative is kinda squicky.

yea sry, im a bit sleep deprived atm.