PDA

View Full Version : Novice Wizard Help

Bellydancer
2011-03-28, 08:40 PM
I am on my first DnD campaign and I am the mage of the party. The party consists of a thief, a cleric, a fighter, a monk and a ranger.

Since this is my first time playing, I wasn't aware of the limitations of being a low level wizard and I didn't know how much I would have to rely on my party members to 'protect' me in battle.

I did not take enough protection type spells for myself - I went for more damage dealing spells in order to help with the battles. The problem is that I am finding out that in the heat of battle, my fellow party members are more concerned with saving their own skins versus helping each other out.

For instance, during one battle, our ranger hid in a tree leaving me out in the open as the only target for incoming monsters. Another time, everyone left a room with poisonous spiders except for me, because I get poisoned right away due to my low constitution. I am playing a very slight young women, so it does not take that much strength to drag me places. I almost died and the reason I didn't is that my GM felt bad for me. He keeps making remarks about how no one in the party protects the mage.

I try to stay out of battle, cast shield early, throw up mirror image to hide myself a bit. I am at level 5 and have picked the School of Divination. Should I take protection spells like fly, sphere of invisibility to protect myself from now on? Do I sacrifice helping out in battle in order to cast spells to take care of myself?

Normally, I go into battle situations and try and use sleep or fire ball to reduce the amount of damage by the incoming enemy. Should I do my protection spells first and once I feel that I am in relative safety, then help with the battle?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you!

Felyndiira
2011-03-28, 09:13 PM
Should I take protection spells like fly, sphere of invisibility to protect myself from now on? Do I sacrifice helping out in battle in order to cast spells to take care of myself?

Which school do you have banned?

Fly is definitely a high-priority spell for a wizard. It's a potent defense at your level, especially with your party dynamic being what it is. I would recommend buffs, although given your party dynamic, you'd have to weigh whether the others in your party will actually use haste once you set it on them; personally, I would go with a control spell like Sleet Storm or Stinking Cloud as your second spell and forego damage for now - you can always pick up fireball next level if you really want it. If you barred conjuration, something like Blacklight or Blink to protect yourself.

Since you're disadvantaged already, see if you can get your DM to allow you to find a wizard and copy Glitterdust and Silent Image to your books. You have a lot more first and second-level slots than third, and Glitterdust is very good at shutting down enemies that threaten you while silent image can help in various ways in a pinch. Plus, it might get the party to help out a lot more since no one would skip attacking a blinded, nauseating enemy.

Regardless, one of your strengths as a wizard is versatility. Direct damage spells every level will hurt you a lot more than it helps, and even if you're not optimizing that much, a good battlefield control and good defenses (more than just +4 AC) is going to be very important for both your survival and the party.

Half-Orc Rage
2011-03-28, 09:15 PM
Seems like it's every man for himself, so protect yourself. Get away from direct damage spells and do other things to help your party while you can stay invisible. Buff them, summon creatures, use grease and other battlefield control. Rope trick is also nice. If your party likes being buffed they will keep an eye out for you. If not, cast fly or at least expeditious retreat and get out. Let them do the straight damage, you can do so much more than that.

PollyOliver
2011-03-28, 09:17 PM
I'd invest in some spells that make the less squishy characters more inviting targets than you. Fly is awesome for that and many other reasons. Mirror image is nice, as is mage armor, as is displacement. Also, you might want to stay in the back of the group as you play (or the middle, if your DM attacks you from behind often). Unintelligent monsters should go for the threats closest to them first; if you're wandering ahead of the group, you're more likely to get thwomped.

It sounds, though, like the rest of the players aren't being very helpful either. It's in their own interest to keep their arcanist alive, provided you're useful. :smallsmile:

You might try making sure the rest of the party realizes your squishiness (and maybe making your value more obvious so they'll protect you), both in and out of character. Grease will give the rogue permanent sneak attack against any enemy who doesn't have 5 ranks in balance, even if it makes its save. Haste and enlarge person will make the fighter and ranger and monk your friends. If you're giving the rogue his sneak attack every round and helping everyone smash things, they'd be well-advised to stay between you and the things with fangs. And if they don't figure that out in-character, you might want to talk to them in real life about it.

gorfnab
2011-03-28, 09:19 PM
Sounds like you could use some more battlefield control spells (as mentioned above posts). Glitterdust, Grease, Web, Fog Cloud, Stinking Cloud, and Summon Monster X. If necessary you can cast one of these spells and run. Most of the time these type of spells will either stop or severely slow down oncoming opponents. Here are some handbooks I recommend reading through.
Wizards' Handbook by Dictum Mortuum (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wizards%27_Handbook_by_Dictum_Mortuum_%283.5e_Opti mized_Character_Build%29)
A guide to Wizards (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0)
Logic Ninja's Guide to Wizards (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002)

erikun
2011-03-28, 09:20 PM
What spells you have and what school you banned would help with advice. Also, are you going for any particular focus for your wizard? Summons? Illusions? Blastiness?

You have low AC and lousy attacks, so it is better for you to stay out of the fight and aid allies. This can either be accomplished by buffing them beforehand, by disabling enemies, or by summoning your own creatures. Both Invisibility (2nd level) and Fly (3rd level) will keep most opponents from hitting on you, and the best spells won't break invisibility. Here is a quick list of the good ones for combat.

1st level: Protection from Evil, Grease, Silent Image, Enlarge Person, Reduce Person

2nd level: Fog Cloud, Glitterdust (breaks invisibility), Summon Swarm, Web, Scorching Ray (breaks invisibility), Blur, Invisibility, Minor Image, Blindness/Deafness (breaks invisibility), Bear Endurance, Cat Grace

3rd level: Dispel Magic, Magic Circle against Evil, Sleet Storm, Summon Monster III (small Fire Elementals, at least), Heroism, Hold Person (breaks invisibility), Displacement, Major Image, Fly, Haste, Greater Magic Weapon, Slow (breaks invisibility)

Again, a lot of this is for buffing allies or restricting enemies. An opponent that can't attack due to Slow or can't move around due to Grease isn't very threatening anymore. Some of these spells, such as Bear's Endurance and Cat's Grace, are clearly intended for other party members. If you prefer a more blasty route - which isn't a bad thing - try a combination of Fly, Protection from Arrows, and Blur. You don't want to waste an Invisibility spell when you will just drop it with your first attack.

holywhippet
2011-03-28, 09:54 PM
Grab summon monster III as soon as possible. You can use it to summon in creatures that are under your direct control. They will cover you if nobody else will.

Sacrieur
2011-03-28, 09:56 PM
They won't be laughing so hard at higher levels >=D

sambo.
2011-03-29, 02:20 AM
I went for more damage dealing spells in order to help with the battles.
aha, i think i see your problem.

direct damage spells are a lot less useful than many novice wizards believe.

Any advice would be helpful.

read, learn, love! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002)

Andion Isurand
2011-03-29, 04:08 AM
Alter Self is a great spell that can offer you means of protection, disguise, mobility and utility.

If you know your creatures, you can pick ones with the ability to fly, swim, climb, breathe water, etc etc ...as well as ones with natural armor and natural weapon attacks and what have you.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=343.0