PDA

View Full Version : what's a great magic item for under 1,500 gp?

big teej
2011-03-28, 10:38 PM
greetings playgrounders, I'm rolling up a new 4th level character and having a little trouble spending their starting wealth.

I have 1,424 gold pieces left and the following sources to purchase from*
the SRD
Dungeon Master's Guide I
Races of Stone
Arms and Equipment Guide
Magic of Incarnum
Player's Handbook
Book of Vile Darkness
Book of Exalted Deeds
Tome and Blood
Defender's of the Faith
Sword and Fist
Song and Silence
Enemies and Allies
Cityscape
Deities and Demigods
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II

one last thing, I'm trying not to stock up on potions, but if there's really nothing else, then potions it is. (I've already got one in mind)

*please note that these are the ONLY sources I can purchase from.

Asarlai
2011-03-28, 10:39 PM
Edit: Nevermind, I thought that said 15,000.

RTGoodman
2011-03-28, 10:41 PM
Uh, mind telling us what your character is and what items you already have? That'll make this whole thing go a lot smoother.

ROD. OF. WONDER.

Might wanna check the price on that one.

Worira
A first level Pearl of Power is nice, and if you don't have a Cloak of Resistance, yet, it's almost mandatory.

big teej
Edit: Nevermind, I thought that said 15,000.

under 1,500
one thousand, five hundred

not fifteen thousand

EDIT: okay, cloak of resistance is definitly under consideration

Asarlai
2011-03-28, 10:49 PM
Class? Use magic item ability? Items you already have?

big teej
2011-03-28, 10:52 PM
Class? Use magic item ability? Items you already have?

I kinda left some of that out on purpose, because I kinda wanted generic answers, but I suppose it would help if you know what I already have.

also, I have no UMD as it's not a class skill.

posssessions and stuff.

Weapons in use
Masterwork Heavy Mace – 312 gp – 1d8 bludgeoning x2

Equipment/gear:
+1 Breastplate of silent moves – 1,350 gp + 5 AC
Dastana – 25 gp + 1 AC

Items and possessions
Heward’s handy haversack – 2000 gp
Bedroll – 1 sp
Winter blanket – 5 sp
10 candles – 1 sp
10 chalk pieces – 1 sp
Flint and steel – 1 gp
Small steel mirror – 10 gp
3 belt pouches – 3 gp
10 days rations – 5 gp
Silk rope 50 ft – 10 gp
Signal whistle – 8 sp
3 waterskins – 3 gp
Armor Maintenance kit – 1 gp
10 insectbane candles – 1 gp
Portable game board – 8 gp
Holy text – 15 gp
Mess kit – 6 sp
3 shriek rocks – 9 gp
1 person tent – 5 gp
3 potions of cure light wounds – 150 gp
Monk’s outfit – 5 gp
Explorer’s outfit
Bag of blasting pellets – 50 gp
12 hearth fire – 10 gp

I don't feel class matters for the discussion however. given the sources available

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-03-29, 12:20 AM
I kinda left some of that out on purpose, because I kinda wanted generic answers, but I suppose it would help if you know what I already have.

also, I have no UMD as it's not a class skill.

posssessions and stuff.

Weapons in use
Masterwork Heavy Mace – 312 gp – 1d8 bludgeoning x2

Equipment/gear:
+1 Breastplate of silent moves – 1,350 gp + 5 AC
Dastana – 25 gp + 1 AC

Items and possessions
Heward’s handy haversack – 2000 gp
Bedroll – 1 sp
Winter blanket – 5 sp
10 candles – 1 sp
10 chalk pieces – 1 sp
Flint and steel – 1 gp
Small steel mirror – 10 gp
3 belt pouches – 3 gp
10 days rations – 5 gp
Silk rope 50 ft – 10 gp
Signal whistle – 8 sp
3 waterskins – 3 gp
Armor Maintenance kit – 1 gp
10 insectbane candles – 1 gp
Portable game board – 8 gp
Holy text – 15 gp
Mess kit – 6 sp
3 shriek rocks – 9 gp
1 person tent – 5 gp
3 potions of cure light wounds – 150 gp
Monk’s outfit – 5 gp
Explorer’s outfit
Bag of blasting pellets – 50 gp
12 hearth fire – 10 gp

I don't feel class matters for the discussion however. given the sources available

Class totally matters for discussion, because many items synergize with a given class ability, and others do not. for example, Pearl of Power is useless for a Fighter.

HappyBlanket
2011-03-29, 12:23 AM
I wouldn't recommend buying wands for your Fighter, so class is kinda important.

big teej
2011-03-29, 12:27 AM
fair enough.

I'm playing a Lawful Incarnate

aboyd
2011-03-29, 12:54 AM
It's too bad that you don't have access to the Magic Item Compendium. That thing has great items for your price range, such as an Anklet of Translocation. But since the book is a compendium, maybe that anklet originally appeared in one of the books you have? Good luck.

VirOath
2011-03-29, 01:14 AM
Custom Magic Item: Self Cleaning Pants. Because it's only partial usage of a spell, it should get less than full price for it's crafting.

No adventurer should go without.

ffone
2011-03-29, 01:22 AM
Wow, your DM's list of books is very old; mostly 3.0.

4th level in what class?

+1 Anklet of Translocation.

least crystals of return (free action draw) if a physical attacker.

ooknabah
2011-03-29, 01:27 AM
Honestly, I'd use that money for some potions (a couple of CLW potions never hurt at low levels) or save it so I could afford some of the better items at the 2000 G mark.

Zaq
2011-03-29, 03:38 AM
My books aren't open at the moment. Does anyone know if the Third Eye Improvisation is found anywhere other than the MIC? It's an Incarnate's good friend. Once per day, you can activate it to get a +5 on an untrained skill check. Since Incarnates are, if they choose to be, skillmonkeys without skill ranks (it's easy for an Incarnate to get a very respectable bonus in any given skill without any actual ranks), they can use it with far more regularity than most other characters can. I forget if it's on your list of approved sources, though. I know it's in the MIC, but I forget if it's anywhere else.

Kyrinthic
2011-03-29, 06:50 AM
Those are some older books arent they, and I was all set to recommend the healing belt from MIC :/

-Kyrinthic

Eldan
2011-03-29, 06:52 AM
My favourite is the Hat of Disguise.

Otherwise, an assortment of alchemicals and potions is never wrong. Or feather tokens.

Firechanter
2011-03-29, 07:00 AM
There's also a very nice Gauntlet property that's dirt cheap and can be a lifesaver:
"Elusive Action", 800gp, allows to ignore a single AoO 1/day as Immediate Action.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-29, 07:15 AM
Do you have:
1) A way to become invisible? If not, pick up a Potion of Invisibility or two. Lifesaver if the DM misjudges an encounter, or the dice are against you.
2) A method of flight? If not, pick up a Potion of Fly or two. It's always annoying to be left out of the battle just because the opponent has wings and a breath weapon.
3) A method of attacking things at range? If not, pick up a bow and some arrows, or better: A few spears (People forget that spears have a chance of going through Wind Walls).

big teej
2011-03-29, 08:45 AM
Wow, your DM's list of books is very old; mostly 3.0.

4th level in what class?

+1 Anklet of Translocation.

least crystals of return (free action draw) if a physical attacker.

actually, those are my books, my goal is to own every 3.0 and 3.5 book published by WOTC....

that's just what I've managed to nab so far (which is based on availability, not usefulness)

Honestly, I'd use that money for some potions (a couple of CLW potions never hurt at low levels) or save it so I could afford some of the better items at the 2000 G mark.

I've already picked up 4 of them, but now that you mention it, I suppose I should consider holding onto my money, spending power seems to be lacking....

Do you have:
1) A way to become invisible? If not, pick up a Potion of Invisibility or two. Lifesaver if the DM misjudges an encounter, or the dice are against you.
2) A method of flight? If not, pick up a Potion of Fly or two. It's always annoying to be left out of the battle just because the opponent has wings and a breath weapon.
3) A method of attacking things at range? If not, pick up a bow and some arrows, or better: A few spears (People forget that spears have a chance of going through Wind Walls).

I don't have all the soulmelds memorized, but I can double check if there's one that lets you become invisible.
if not
potion!

one of my favorite soulmelds is Airstep Sandals, so I've got flight

as for ranged attacks, I can spit acid, which is about as much as I can hope for given that I have a dexterity of 10

Malevolence
2011-03-29, 08:47 AM
Since MIC isn't on the list, Cloak of Resistance is really about the only option. There just aren't many cheap and useful magic items outside the MIC.

If it were an option then Healing Belts and Anklets of Translocation are both standard and solid.

Cartigan
2011-03-29, 08:48 AM
No MIC? SoL.

On another note: Why the odd combination of 3e and 3.5 books? And since they ARE combined, do you mean the 3e DMG or the 3.5 DMG?

big teej
2011-03-29, 08:56 AM
No MIC? SoL.

On another note: Why the odd combination of 3e and 3.5 books? And since they ARE combined, do you mean the 3e DMG or the 3.5 DMG?

I have both funnily enough. due to a combination of gifts and my own purchasing.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-29, 05:44 PM
Durable armor. Either cityscape or dungeonscape. Now your armor is immune to the effects of rust and acid. Only 500.

I always recommend that and Everbright weapons to those who might need it. Because losing your weapons to a rust monster or ooze sucks.

Firechanter
2011-03-29, 05:57 PM
Durable Armour costs just 500? In MIC there is Blueshine that does exactly that, but costs 1500 or so.

Jack_Simth
2011-03-29, 06:09 PM
I don't have all the soulmelds memorized, but I can double check if there's one that lets you become invisible.
if not
potion!Even if they do have a soulmeld for it, you might consider the potion anyway - as I understand it, you can only have a limited number of soulmelds at once, and it takes some effort to switch them out, and Invisibility for escape isn't generally something you plan on needing that day until you need it....

one of my favorite soulmelds is Airstep Sandals, so I've got flightCool.

as for ranged attacks, I can spit acid, which is about as much as I can hope for given that I have a dexterity of 10What's the range on that, though? Not that it'll matter overly much in the traditional (dungeon) setting....

herrhauptmann
2011-03-29, 06:28 PM
Durable Armour costs just 500? In MIC there is Blueshine that does exactly that, but costs 1500 or so.

But blueshine also has a small skill boost to it.

Draz74
2011-03-29, 06:59 PM
Durable armor. Either cityscape or dungeonscape. Now your armor is immune to the effects of rust and acid. Only 500.

It's Dungeonscape, and next to it is the equally fantastic Restful Armor. Also 500 gp. Makes you able to sleep in medium/heavy armor without fatigue, and also makes you much more likely to pass your Listen check to wake up if you're attacked while sleeping (e.g. if the guy on watch yells out an alarm).

Only problem is that both of these enhancement already require your armor to be magical. So if your armor isn't already +1, adding either of these will cost 1500 or 1650 gp, not just 500.

flabort
2011-03-29, 07:10 PM
fortunately, he already has a +1 breastplate of silent moves, so he can apply both to it, and still have 500 gp left.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-29, 07:11 PM
It's Dungeonscape, and next to it is the equally fantastic Restful Armor. Also 500 gp. Makes you able to sleep in medium/heavy armor without fatigue, and also makes you much more likely to pass your Listen check to wake up if you're attacked while sleeping (e.g. if the guy on watch yells out an alarm).

Only problem is that both of these enhancement already require your armor to be magical. So if your armor isn't already +1, adding either of these will cost 1500 or 1650 gp, not just 500.

Bugger, OP doesn't have Dungeonscape. He does have magic armor though.

Are your books the only ones the party is using? If not, you might be able to borrow from the other players.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-29, 07:20 PM
I was coming in here to vote for Anklets of Translocation, but apparently that isn't an option. So I'm going to have to vote for a Cloak of Resistance +1.

TurtleKing
2011-03-29, 07:22 PM
Why has no one mentioned the Gray Bag of Tricks. Granted some of the creatures are lackluster in combat, but the badger is capable. You also have Brooch of Shielding and Bracers of Armor +1 (useful?). Many feather tokens and "Dusts" also fit in that price range. The feather tokens available are anchor, fan, bird, tree, swan boat, and whip. The "dusts" are tracelessness, dryness, and illusion. If you are worried about alignment issues the the Phylactery of Faithfulness will help guide you by warning you if the action adversely affects your alignment.

All of these suggestions are just from the SRD.

herrhauptmann
2011-03-29, 07:34 PM
Why has no one mentioned the Gray Bag of Tricks. Granted some of the creatures are lackluster in combat, but the badger is capable. You also have Brooch of Shielding and Bracers of Armor +1 (useful?). Many feather tokens and "Dusts" also fit in that price range. The feather tokens available are anchor, fan, bird, tree, swan boat, and whip. The "dusts" are tracelessness, dryness, and illusion. If you are worried about alignment issues the the Phylactery of Faithfulness will help guide you by warning you if the action adversely affects your alignment.

All of these suggestions are just from the SRD.

Ohyeah, what's the cost of the 'cursed' dust of sneezing and choking?

TurtleKing
2011-03-29, 07:36 PM
Sadly at 2400gp.

Edit: Oh yeah how did I forget all of those elixirs that are also in that price range. Love-charm, vision-search, swimming-duh, hiding-duh, sneaking-move silently, truth-tell no lies, fire breathing-another duh. Some of those provide a +10 competence bonus to a skill. Granted they are also one shot items as well.

big teej
2011-03-29, 08:09 PM
Even if they do have a soulmeld for it, you might consider the potion anyway - as I understand it, you can only have a limited number of soulmelds at once, and it takes some effort to switch them out, and Invisibility for escape isn't generally something you plan on needing that day until you need it....

What's the range on that, though? Not that it'll matter overly much in the traditional (dungeon) setting....

in regards to invisibility, that is an excellent point, and I'll probably pick up a potion in an encounter or two (or now if I don't have anything else to spend on)

acid range is 30 feet

Bugger, OP doesn't have Dungeonscape. He does have magic armor though.

Are your books the only ones the party is using? If not, you might be able to borrow from the other players.

our rule is that the group must posses the sourcebook in meatspace for it to be allowed, and I have the most extensive collection by far.

Sadly at 2400gp.

Edit: Oh yeah how did I forget all of those elixirs that are also in that price range. Love-charm, vision-search, swimming-duh, hiding-duh, sneaking-move silently, truth-tell no lies, fire breathing-another duh. Some of those provide a +10 competence bonus to a skill. Granted they are also one shot items as well.

yea, potions are on the list of "if all else fails, pick these"

don't think I'd pick up any skill boosters though, after all, soulmelds can emmulate the majority of those.

now fire breathing and the explodey potion from DMGII? those I might pick up anyways

TurtleKing
2011-03-29, 08:27 PM
Alchemical items..... are basically all in that price range. They also have a wide use of affects. Some of the alchemical items are reusable. A good alchemical item if you have Complete Mage is the Weeping Flask. It collects an ounce of water from the atmosphere/hour. So 1 Weeping Flask can produce the same amount of water as a Everful Mug in a day, but the Weeping Flask costs 1/5 the price so you can collect even greater amounts.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-03-29, 08:34 PM
well, get a bunch of tree tokens, If you can't think of a use for a sudden 80 ft tall tree you're not trying hard enough :smallcool:.

big teej
2011-03-29, 08:38 PM
well, get a bunch of tree tokens, If you can't think of a use for a sudden 80 ft tall tree you're not trying hard enough :smallcool:.

sounds like a catgirl massacre.... one of our players is head of the college math department.... I'm sure knowing the force behind such growth would lead to effects that are rather....

excessive.

TurtleKing
2011-03-29, 08:50 PM
See what you can do with just the SRD.:smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2011-03-29, 09:53 PM
sounds like a catgirl massacre.... one of our players is head of the college math department.... I'm sure knowing the force behind such growth would lead to effects that are rather....

excessive.
Crush bridges, block passages, and cause severe indigestion for critters that swallow you are normal usage. Also helpful for Tree Striding Druids, and a few other things.

Thiyr
2011-03-30, 01:07 AM
I second tree tokens, as I have always found them to be handy to keep around. Readied action to use one in front of you for an impromptu wall. Block off hallways. use it to make a bridge, or a potentially easier to climb surface, or any other number of uses you could make of a suddenly appearing tree, even without getting into shenanigans about how much force the spontaneous tree gives.

TurtleKing
2011-03-30, 01:13 AM
Attach the tree token to an arrow. Launch that arrow and activate the token. I now present Tree Arrows!

big teej
2011-03-30, 01:29 AM
tree token shenanigans aside (and they have been added to the list of consideration)

is there anything else in the sources listed that a 4th level Lawful Incarnate find useful?

given my aforementioned equipment.

Cartigan
2011-03-30, 08:33 AM
tree token shenanigans aside (and they have been added to the list of consideration)

is there anything else in the sources listed that a 4th level Lawful Incarnate find useful?

given my aforementioned equipment.

Not really. The price range and books available shaft you. Maybe Vest of Resistance.

big teej
2011-03-30, 10:00 AM
then it seems I have some pondering to do.

if memory serves (and I don't have the battery to double check right now)

my best options are
save my money
cloak of resistance
potions (fire breathing, reckoning, invisiblity)
tree tokens
gray bag of tricks
and.....

that's all that's coming to mind in the limited time I have.

Cartigan
2011-03-30, 10:04 AM
Vest of Resistance > Cloak of Resistance. I am pretty sure they are the same price and I saw the Vest in one of those random 3.0 books when I glanced through them.

big teej
2011-03-30, 11:32 AM
Vest of Resistance > Cloak of Resistance. I am pretty sure they are the same price and I saw the Vest in one of those random 3.0 books when I glanced through them.

I'll be sure to look into that thanks

are you sure? I haven't found it yet in any of the ones I have.

so I went with a potion of invisibility and a elixir of reckoning.

however, this isn't set in stone until I play the character, so by all means continue to make suggestions.

(and as soon as I pick up a few silver pieces I'm gonna nab a potion of delay poision)