PDA

View Full Version : Psionic powers?

golentan
2011-03-29, 01:10 AM
So, this thread was inspired by something weird a couple hours ago at work. An older couple, very nice ladies, comes through my line and are talking with me about their plans for dining in. A little wine, a little food, etc. etc. Then... Well, suffice to say I said "That was significantly more information than I needed to know."

The problem that came out seconds later? She didn't say it out loud, as confirmed by others present. She mouthed it at her partner. While facing away from me. While I was looking at the register's screen.

I lip read someone who I wasn't looking at while they weren't looking at me without realizing they hadn't said anything out loud. :smallconfused::smalleek:

I believe there has to be a rational explanation somewhere in this... but I can't for the life of me think of what it might be. Though if I can't find one and I start getting repeatability I may have to go for the Randi Prize.

Kuma Kode
2011-03-29, 01:16 AM
That seems like a lot of information to mouth soundlessly to someone unless you know your friend is a very good lip-reader (and who likes doing it for no real reason). It's more likely that she spoke very softly and you managed to catch it.

golentan
2011-03-29, 01:19 AM
Twas two words that were mouthed, the rest of the conversation out loud. Just... two words I didn't need to hear at work.

Though that is a better explanation than what I'd come up with.

thubby
2011-03-29, 01:41 AM
you sure you weren't just daydreaming? you'd be surprised what the human mind can put together if you leave it unattended.

golentan
2011-03-29, 01:49 AM
Fairly sure, yes. There was the whole conversation leading up, and then the awkward conversation after, and then the next awkward conversation where the next guest asked me what had been said and I sidestepped with questions about coupons.

I like the "it was said out loud but softly" explanation, so I'm sticking with that barring future evidence.

Kuma Kode
2011-03-29, 02:15 AM
Or, she said enough that your brain filled it in but mistook it for actual sensory data. But yeah, given context, even if you didn't hear it clearly you could have put it together. I do that all the time when others talk with a thick accent I can't completely decipher.

Amiel
2011-03-29, 02:20 AM
Your mind might have tricked your brain into processing the motions as relevant to your anticipated response; if you find that your lip-reading consistently offers up positive correlations, then you may be onto something.

Eldan
2011-03-29, 02:35 AM
Oh, simple. We were testing the secondary dimensional relay in Antarctica. You might have experienced a few overlapping parallel dimensions where they did say it out loud.

Amiel
2011-03-29, 02:36 AM
Meaning, Cthulhu has been keeping an eye on you.

golentan
2011-03-29, 02:40 AM
Okay, now we're just getting silly. Dimensional relays don't have that wide an effect without a massive power spike, and I've eaten worse monsters than cthulhu for breakfast.

Occasionally literally. A well maintained weapon is a good weapon, and I've always been told breakfast is the most important meal for maintaining good nutrition.

:smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-03-29, 02:54 AM
Well, yes. Not without massive power spikes, exactly.

I mean, why do you think we are testing the secondary relay instead of the primary one? I tell you, the Andromedans are screwing with us again.

Also, Number 1489 says he'd been focusing it on you for giggles.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-29, 03:23 AM
In all seriousness, I doubt you have "psychic powers" Your mind "just" put the information together and predicted, accurately, what was going to be said next. You've probably done it before, been wrong, and shrugged it off.
If you do not believe me tell me this: which is more likely, you were able to make a prediction based on limited information, something the brain does all the freaking time, or that you have psychic powers?

golentan
2011-03-29, 03:36 AM
I... :smallsigh: I just...

*facepalm*

Raven, did you think in all seriousness given the nature of my posts that I even for a second accepted "I have psychic powers" as a viable explanation for what happened? Freaked out, yes. Prone to cracking jokes about it, yes. Looking desperately for the first reasonable suggestion which actually matched events, which I am not letting go of now, yes.

This with the other... I just can't talk to you anymore...

Eldan: ... You TC'd a starsystem to effect me? That's a pretty warped level of commitment. Was it Sirius? I've always had a thing against Sirius. As for 1489, that's okay. It'll be worth it when he sees what I've got set up in retaliation. *rubs hands vigorously*

Eldan
2011-03-29, 03:38 AM
Antares, actually. I've had a thing for systems starting with "A" for forever now. Plus, we needed a giant, not a dwarf.

Mostly, we were actually trying to calibrate the flicker drive. Everything else was a side effect.

Ravens_cry
2011-03-29, 03:44 AM
I... :smallsigh: I just...

*facepalm*

Raven, did you think in all seriousness given the nature of my posts that I even for a second accepted "I have psychic powers" as a viable explanation for what happened? Freaked out, yes. Prone to cracking jokes about it, yes. Looking desperately for the first reasonable suggestion which actually matched events, which I am not letting go of now, yes.

This with the other... I just can't talk to you anymore...

Hey, it's the Internet. People have espoused far stranger beliefs in all seriousness . Also, text does not transmit sarcasm well, providing neither tone of voice nor body language.
In text, there is no difference between "Oh really?" and "Oh really?"

Cealocanth
2011-03-30, 11:00 PM
Hey, it's the Internet. People have espoused far stranger beliefs in all seriousness . Also, text does not transmit sarcasm well, providing neither tone of voice nor body language.
In text, there is no difference between "Oh really?" and "Oh really?"

Well, you could use italics to help portray that. Instead of "Oh really?" type "Oh really?". It helps quite a bit, although it's not perfect. I try to type it how someone should read it aloud, although that in itself has it's occasional problems.

We're getting off topic.

To the OP, your mind works surprisingly fast. Not just your mind, but everyone's mind. There are times when our natural instincts tell us complete accurate information before we get a chance to actively evaluate it. For example, one time when I was on an archery range, the range was closed and we were going to retrieve our arrows when my mind, out of nowhere, tells me that there were 22 arrows fired. I wasn't paying specific attention to it nor did I notice how many arrows everyone picked up or something like that. Sure enough, when I went and counted them all as people were retrieving them, there were 22 arrows in the targets. This kind of stuff happens occasionally, you're (probably) not psychic, you may have simply heard your instincts.

Giggling Ghast
2011-03-30, 11:07 PM
Psychic, eh? Well, don't use your new powers to make my head explo

One Tin Soldier
2011-03-30, 11:14 PM
Golentan! You killed Candle Jack! Now the posters of the internet are sa

arguskos
2011-03-30, 11:28 PM
Psychic, eh? Well, don't use your new powers to make my head explo

Golentan! You killed Candle Jack! Now the posters of the internet are sa
Everything about these two posts is glorious. Continue to win at everything forever guys. :smallbiggrin:

Also, "golentan: Psychic?" I can see the DateNight headline now.

Kneenibble
2011-03-31, 01:34 AM
Oh, goldenbeige... your xenophiliac paralusions are the greater part of your charm. Don't ever abandon them. :smallsmile:

golentan
2011-03-31, 02:34 AM
Oh, kneebiter. You say the sweetest things.

All right then. Anything for you.

Though the fact people are still commenting at face value after so many straight up comments pointing out the flippancy is... disturbing.

Heliomance
2011-03-31, 05:05 AM
It's true! He does have psychic powers, and is bent on world domination! We're all dooGolentan does not have psychic powers. Any information to the contrary is vicious subversion. I will go back to my fun.

Eldan
2011-03-31, 05:08 AM
You should know that Golentan isn't really interested in world domination. I mean, this planet's a dump. Only one moon, and most of the time, it's not even properly gibbous or red. Also, your sun is quite tiny and ugly.

Brother Oni
2011-03-31, 06:40 AM
I'm with Amiel on this. You heard enough information and your mind subconsciously filled in the blanks for you.

I believe it's part of the pattern recognition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_recognition_(psychology)) function of the brain.

I think somebody here had a signature demonstrating this, with the first and last letters of a word being correct, but all the letters inbetween randomly assorted, yet you could still understand it.

Of course, pattern recognition only kicks in when you've previously experienced that sequence of events a number of times, so I take you're well accustomed to "A little wine, a little food, etc. etc. Then..."? :smallwink:

golentan
2011-03-31, 11:35 AM
You should know that Golentan isn't really interested in world domination. I mean, this planet's a dump. Only one moon, and most of the time, it's not even properly gibbous or red. Also, your sun is quite tiny and ugly.

I really am not. And if I were, I would have steamrolled you eons ago. The fact that there aren't carriers holding above every major population center and anthrotanks patrolling the streets should go a long way towards proving my good intentions.

Brother Oni: :smallsigh:. Again, never thought it was psychic powers. And sadly I'm not familiar with that, despite a standing invitation for many of my friends.

Brother Oni
2011-03-31, 06:43 PM
Brother Oni: :smallsigh:. Again, never thought it was psychic powers.

I never said it was, but since you seem to be "looking desperately for the first reasonable suggestion which actually matched events", I thought that offering a likely psychological reason may be of some help.

As for your lack of success, I take it, it's the "I like you as a friend" syndrome?

Kallisti
2011-03-31, 06:51 PM
Bah. If he really were psychic, he'd have foreseen people taking this thread too seriously.

ScottishDragon
2011-03-31, 06:57 PM
It's true! He does have psychic powers, and is bent on world domination! We're all dooGolentan does not have psychic powers. Any information to the contrary is vicious subversion. I will go back to my fun.

Golentan has no psionic powers. I will go back to my fun.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-03-31, 09:12 PM
I for one welcome our psionic yaddee yaddee yah, you know the drill.

The real question, I think, should be obvious.

Do you use your powers for good or evil? :smallwink:

rayne_dragon
2011-03-31, 10:05 PM

Lovecraft seems to have held a differing opinion on the gibbousness of the moon. :smallwink:

Kuma Kode
2011-03-31, 11:55 PM
Lovecraft seems to have held a differing opinion on the gibbousness of the moon. :smallwink:

Lovecraft holds a lot of differing opinions.

golentan
2011-04-01, 12:48 AM

Yeah, but Lovecraft could scarcely make it through a conversation without having a nervous breakdown. Though I don't know if that was for everyone or just me.

Kallisti
2011-04-01, 04:49 PM
Yeah, but Lovecraft could scarcely make it through a conversation without having a nervous breakdown. Though I don't know if that was for everyone or just me.

This is Lovecraft. He doesn't have nervous breakdowns, he has eldritch cyclopean chthonic nervous breakdowns.