PDA

View Full Version : Items that grant class features?

Sims
2011-03-29, 09:14 AM
Is there any item that lets you get the Divine Grace paladin class feature? If so how much is it?

If not, how much do you think it'd cost?

Forged Fury
2011-03-29, 09:25 AM
I don't think so.

If it could be created at all, I'd put it at about 25,000gp.

That's the price for either a Ring of Evasion (2nd level Class Feature in Item Form) or a Cloak of Resistance +5 (Since you're probably getting this item for a character that has a decently high (if not ridiculously high) Charisma).

Goonthegoof
2011-03-29, 10:18 AM
You gotta base it on the class feature itself, not the level. Evasion is a much stronger ability than say woodland stride, which is also a second level feature.

person29
2011-03-29, 10:21 AM
well it would probably go in the same type of slot as other cha or save things...typically cloaks but possibly headband, vest depending on how you ruled it

if its giving an enchancement bonus "divine grace cloak gives an enchancement bonus to saves = to cha mod" then it wouldn't stack with a cha of res...so they would need a +5 or better cha at higher levels to replace that +5 cloak of res....and since it possibly shares that same slot as cha gear itll be tougher to get that high cha

that being said i know of no such item

Cog
2011-03-29, 10:42 AM
You gotta base it on the class feature itself, not the level. Evasion is a much stronger ability than say woodland stride, which is also a second level feature.
Evasion is also a lot more easily available than, say, Divine Grace, so that's a balancing factor. If you're bypassing the latter's rarity and usual alignment restrictions, I'd probably charge more.

On the other hand, perhaps some class features should be left as such. Systems with modular powers instead of classes can certainly work, but if you want to turn DnD into that, you probably have to start thinking about it from the ground up.

Mojo_Rat
2011-03-29, 10:52 AM
the paladin ability is really a very poor class ability to allow on an item. it stacks with other save items.

secondly when allowing custom items you have to look at how useful this is for a specific char ( the one making it)

so either a bard or irc ere and given players pe hantavirus for optimization at the level one can afford such an item 7+ stat mod.

if you allowed it as a charisma based bonus of the same type the cloak I'd price it based on what an equivalent cloak would cost. ( this is the most balanced but still strong)

if it's the strait out class ability then ALOT more than that.

Forged Fury
2011-03-29, 10:58 AM
I had already made that adjustment, although hadn't explicity spelled it out. Evasion and Divine Grace are pretty equally powerful if applied to the right chasis (Evasion is great if you have a high reflex save, not so much if your reflex save sucks/Divine Grace is bonkers if you have a high charisma, but does little good if you don't have a positive modifier).