PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a weapon.

JamesW
2011-03-29, 02:01 PM
Anyone know of any one-hand reach weapons that threaten the areas they can attack? Also, I need to be able to use the weapon against targets adjacent to me as well.

I'm building a Crusader Tank and want to threaten as many squares as possible to force creatures to attack me or take a -4 to the attack on any party member.

The only weapon I've found so far is Whip but it says that it does not threaten the squares it can attack and that it does no damage to any creature with higher than a +1 ac or a +3 natural ac. >.<

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Daftendirekt
2011-03-29, 02:15 PM
Not going to have luck with only one-handed. However, the Kusari-gama from Oriental Adventures is fantastic. You can use it as either double weapon or reach weapon, and you threaten adjacent squares as well.

Keld Denar
2011-03-29, 02:16 PM
Spinning Sword, Secrets of Sarlona. Its a 1handed spiked chain. Requires EWP to use, though. 1d8 19-20 threat range IIRC, so its essentially a longsword with reach.

It looks kinda like Ivy's sword from Soul Calibre.

Morbis Meh
2011-03-29, 03:12 PM
Why not just use a 2H reach weapon and get an animated shield?

Major
2011-03-29, 03:13 PM
Not going to have luck with only one-handed. However, the Kusari-gama from Oriental Adventures is fantastic. You can use it as either double weapon or reach weapon, and you threaten adjacent squares as well.

The Kusari-gama in the DM's Handbook is one-handed, has reach (15ft) and can threaten adjacent squares. Also gives a trip bonus.

It's a light-weapon.

Daftendirekt
2011-03-29, 03:15 PM
The Kusari-gama in the DM's Handbook is one-handed, has reach (15ft) and can threaten adjacent squares. Also gives a trip bonus.

It's a light-weapon.

Never, EVER heard of that book. And that weapon sounds broken.

"Hey look guys, I'm tripping guys from 15 feet away and then hiding behind my tower shield!"

I know, tower shields kind of suck because of their penalty to hit, just an example of ridiculous things this would allow you to do. Also, it makes no goddamn sense. If you've seen Kill Bill volume 1, you've seen a kusari-gama (pretty much. That girl had a big ball instead of a sickle, but, close enough). Good luck using that one-handed and not sucking balls.

Cartigan
2011-03-29, 03:18 PM
Armor Spikes and a one-handed reach weapon.

erikun
2011-03-29, 03:19 PM
What every happened to the Whip-Dagger? It was basically identical to the whip, but dealt damage as a dagger and dealt lethal damage (and could hurt people in armor). I recall it from the days of 3.0e, and don't know if it was ever updated.

Zherog
2011-03-29, 03:23 PM
Never, EVER heard of that book. And that weapon sounds broken.

I think I failed a sarcasm check. Otherwise, you're claiming you've never heard of the DMG?

Major
2011-03-29, 03:28 PM
I messed up and said DM's Handbook. Meant DM's Guidebook.

Nonetheless I'll copy paste it.

Exotic Weapon
-Kusari-gama
1d6
Slashing
Crit: x2

Kusari-Gama: This small sickle is attached to a length of chain. A kusari-gama is an exotic weapon that has reach. It can strike opponents 10 feet away. In addition, unlike other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe. It can be used in all respects like a spiked chain (see page 115 of the Player’s Handbook) for trip attacks, disarming other foes, and using its wielder’s Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier in attack rolls.

I was mistaken about 15ft, but it DOES have reach.

Edit: As for making sense just pretend you are that guy from Soul Eater :P or many other animes that somehow duel-wield them.

Daftendirekt
2011-03-29, 03:37 PM
I dunno, one-handed reach that isn't a whip-dagger just seems a bit much. But that's just me.

Major
2011-03-29, 04:01 PM
One-handed, light weapon, reach, 1d6, and the ability to trip and disarm, as well as can threaten squares.

Daftendirekt
2011-03-29, 04:04 PM
One-handed, light weapon, reach, 1d6, and the ability to trip and disarm, as well as can threaten squares.

Yeah. Broken.

Major
2011-03-29, 04:09 PM
Hey, if you got to waste a feat for a weapon might as well be a good weapon.

Sides, I didn't say broken or not. I just pointed out a weapon that fulfilled the OP's request.

Keld Denar
2011-03-29, 04:11 PM
To each their own. You still have to pay a feat for EWP to use it without the -4 non-proficiency penalty. And the above poster was wrong. Kusiri-Gama is only 10' reach, not 15'. The only 15' natural reach weapons are the Whip (doesn't threaten), and some polearm in a dragon mag that suffers the drawback that it can't attack adjacent OR at 10'. And given that its in a dragon mag, unlikely to be accepted in many situations.

Major
2011-03-29, 04:16 PM
I messed up and said DM's Handbook. Meant DM's Guidebook.

Nonetheless I'll copy paste it.

Exotic Weapon
-Kusari-gama
1d6
Slashing
Crit: x2

Kusari-Gama: This small sickle is attached to a length of chain. A kusari-gama is an exotic weapon that has reach. It can strike opponents 10 feet away. In addition, unlike other weapons with reach, it can be used against an adjacent foe. It can be used in all respects like a spiked chain (see page 115 of the Player’s Handbook) for trip attacks, disarming other foes, and using its wielder’s Dexterity modifier instead of her Strength modifier in attack rolls.

I was mistaken about 15ft, but it DOES have reach.

Edit: As for making sense just pretend you are that guy from Soul Eater :P or many other animes that somehow duel-wield them.

See quote.

flabort
2011-03-29, 04:57 PM
There have been various attempts to create weapon creation rules using points. spoilered for wall of text.
Using the most ballanced set I've seen (Although abusing the rules to the max), I can get 1d4-4 (min 1) damage, reach w/ adjacent, slashing, light, and simple weapon stats. Or, it can alternatively be wielded as a dual weapon (two handed instead), with 1d4-8 (min 1) slashing damage reach (no adjacent hit, even though it does otherwise) on one side, and 1d2 bludgeoning, 19-20/x2 crit, non reach on the other, and it's still a simple weapon.
And it's the same weapon, so you can wield it either way without having anything special. You decide if it's under or over powered, but it's just an example. I forget which rules set I used already, but whatever.
And if you want to enchant it, wielding it two ways does not mean you have to enchant the reach side twice, just once, although you enchant the bludgeoning side separate.

Yeah, it should probably be an exotic weapon, but the rules allow that to be a simple weapon. Nasty, I know.
Don't allow this if you don't allow homebrew, though, and you'll need a REALLY good excuse as to why it's a simple weapon. If the DM rule 0's that it has to be exotic, then the rules do decrease the penalty as light to -6, and for double to -2, but... May not be worth it.

JamesW
2011-03-30, 02:10 AM
The more I ask the more I am amazed with this communities knowledge base!

Thank you so much everyone!

Major
2011-03-30, 02:19 AM
What answer did you pick :P

JamesW
2011-03-31, 03:58 AM
Decided to go with the Kusari-gama. It fits all the criteria I had and is a damn decent weapon.

Major
2011-03-31, 04:07 AM
Yay! I was helpful!

Curmudgeon
2011-03-31, 06:16 AM
And the above poster was wrong. Kusiri-Gama is only 10' reach, not 15'. The only 15' natural reach weapons are the Whip (doesn't threaten) ...
To clarify, a kusari-gama doesn't have 10' reach; it doubles whatever your natural reach is. A Tiny creature with Monkey Grip and a Small kusari-gama still can't attack outside its square. But a Tiny creature with Monkey Grip and a Small whip attacks at 15'. The whip is unique in that the reach is specified by the weapon rather than the wielder.

Keld Denar
2011-03-31, 10:06 AM
Pedantic statement is pedantic.

You're right...it has the "reach" property, with all the pros and cons and definitions that entails. For casual discussion, I think that intent was pretty clear on that.