PDA

View Full Version : Swift and Immediate Action Spells

Elric VIII
2011-03-29, 04:07 PM
I'm playing a Wizard Gish, and as such I'm a bit behind on spell levels. The spells that I'm actually able to quicken will be much weaker than those of a primary caster. What I would like to do is compile a list of spells, useful to a melee-caster, that are swift/immediate actions.

Here are some that I already know about:

Accelerated Movement - SPC
Alter Fortune - PHBII
Blade of Blood - PHBII
Blades of Fire - SPC
Blade Weave - SPC
Celerity - PHBII
Critical Strike - SPC
Daggerspell Stance - SPC
Dimension Jumper - CM
Energy Aegis - PHBII
Energy Surge - PHBII
Greater Mirror Image - PHBII
Steal Summoning - CM
Stretch Weapon - PHBII
Sure Strike - PHBII
Summon Component - CM
Swift Etherealness - PHBII
Swift Fly - SPC
Wraithstrike (duh) - SPC
Also, the various swift-action (Polymorph) spells seem good.

MammonAzrael
2011-03-29, 04:28 PM
If you have Cloudy Conjuration, blockade can be a terrific tactical spell. It can hamper movement, it can sickening whatever you need it to, and it's only 1st level! It can also be used as a (very temporary) raft! And I'm sure there are other uses!

Nerveskitter needs to be on your list. :smallsmile:

AmberVael
2011-03-29, 04:37 PM
Ruin Delver's Fortune (Spell Compendium)
--Immediate action protection

Channeled Lifetheft, Channeled Sound Blast (Complete Mage)
Channeled Pyroburst (PHBII)
--The Channeled series can be used as any number of actions (swift included) on the fly, with the action you take boosting the spell effects.

Familiar Refuge (Complete Mage)
--Teleport to your familiar or vice versa

Karmic Aura, Karmic Backlash, Karmic Retribution (Complete Mage)
--Swift action spell that retaliates against attackers

jiriku
2011-03-29, 04:53 PM
Swift Expeditious Retreat

unosarta
2011-03-29, 05:08 PM
Arrow Mind: Not altogether the best for a melee character, but can help if you need to switch to ranged combat. SpC.

Distract Assailant: Useful if you have a form of Precision damage in your party, or just for a quick AC penalty for a low level spell. SpC.

Master's Touch: Grants proficiency with one weapon that is held upon being cast. SpC.

Spectral Weapon: Summons a shadowy sword for a short while. The sword resolves attacks as melee touch attacks, but 4/5s of the damage can be Will saved away. Can be useful when you have no weapon, and your prepared Wraithstrike is already used, or when you need to attack an opponent who has a high AC and low Will save. SpC.

Note: all of these were originally from the CAdv (one of my favorite 3.5 sourcebooks), but considering that most every spell from the complete series got updated to the Spell Compendium, you can probably find them in there.

Keld Denar
2011-03-29, 05:10 PM
Magical Savant in Complete Mage. Swift action for +4 Insight to UMD, and the ability to take 10 on UMD. Great if you are needing to UMD stuff to get your gish to work.

RobKraft
2016-06-19, 09:25 AM
The list you are looking for is at site called robkraft.org/DnD/SwiftSpells.html