PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow auto-reloading

ffone
2011-03-29, 04:22 PM
As a rogue, you might wish to TWF hand crossbows, not b/c you want to look like Lara Croft but simply to get more sneak attacks at range than you might with a single bow.

(Part of the motivation for using two handcrossbows rather than throwing weapons, is Blink + Force property on the launchers, to get ranged sneak attack via Blink but without the 20% miss chance. The other is not having the build investment like Master Thrower / Quick Draw).

Anyway - are there ways to reload hand crossbows as a free action and without needing a free hand (the way Rapid Reload or that special drow feat still do)?

IIRC there was a base-price-bonus property from somewhere that let crossbows hold 100 bolts at once (+2 base price bonus, Arms and Equipment Guide, maybe) although I'm not sure where it was or if it satisfied both conditions.

On a related note, the gloves of endless javelins (MIC) refer to the javelins as made of 'pure force' - does this make them RAW force effects (i.e. can hit ethereal things, so no 20% miss while blinking)? And when TWF throwing javelin are they light weapons or no?

NNescio
2011-03-29, 05:19 PM
...IIRC there was a base-price-bonus property from somewhere that let crossbows hold 100 bolts at once (+2 base price bonus, Arms and Equipment Guide, maybe) although I'm not sure where it was or if it satisfied both conditions. ...
Quick Loading enchantment, Magic Item Compendium, +1 price.

You can also grab the Gloves of Storing (depending on DM, you may only need one). Make one crossbow disappear as a free action and reload the other, then repeat. (Vanish Crossbow 1->Reload Crossbow 2->Call Crossbow 1->Shoot Crossbow 2->Vanish Crossbow 2->Reload Crossbow 1->Call Crossbow 2->Shoot Crossbow 1->Repeat)

There's also the Ghostly Reload spell from Races of the Dragon which gives you 10 shots worth of free reloading.

The Sauceror
2011-03-29, 08:32 PM
I believe a self-loading upgrade can also be bought for 10k gold. There's also the Spare Hand magic item for 12k gold. It's essentially a belt that gives you another hand. You could use it to get bolts for you and pull back strings and whatnot.

term1nally s1ck
2011-03-29, 09:23 PM
Gloves of the Master Strategist: 3600g, Ghostwalk.