PDA

View Full Version : Thematic Opposites

Angry Bob
2011-03-29, 05:46 PM
For the penultimate boss battle in a dungeon I want bizarro world clones of my PCs. I've got two of four already, but am stuck on the last two.

The first two:

PCs:
1: A shifter monk/tashalatora/barbarian/thing, using a custom "Large" template based on half-minotaur, built to charge and oneshot most nonepic enemies.
2: A Pixie Sorcerer. Focused on counterspelling and defense. Eventually going into Initiate of the Seven Veils. Usually rides around on 1s shoulder.
3: A goliath warblade using the same large template doing a combination of melee things, usually Aoos.
4: A Githzerai pirate(I know Githyanki are more likely to be pirates, but it's that kind of setting) focused on throwing weapons.

Bizarro Opposites:
1: A Corrupted by the Abyss Symbiotic Ogre Warhulk
2: A Dromite egoist growing out of bizarro 1's shoulder. (SS Symbiotic template)
3: ???
4: ???

LansXero
2011-03-29, 05:54 PM
half-giant psywar with a deep crystal reach weapon and expansion for nš 3?

Something very lawful (sorry, not familiar enough with monsters) bloodstorm blade?

flabort
2011-03-29, 06:56 PM
3: Something with Improved unarmed strike, improved trip, and anything at all to be able to prevent provoking an AoO? And perhaps a psion or psiwar?

4: Something with a monk level or two, for Snatch Arrows? Perhaps a Merchant, to boot? Like, coming from the setting's equivalent of the East India Trading Company?

RaginChangeling
2011-03-29, 08:00 PM
For 3 you could have a Kobold with the Web Enhancement and focus on feats that require you to be smaller, Confound the Big Folk and Underfoot fighting. Maybe make him a Swordsage focused on Shadow Hand/Setting Sun and Tiger Claw and teleport/throw people or climb up and stab them and also giving him max ranks in tumble.

For 4 You could just use an Illithid straight up or possibly an Artificer who dual wields their own magical crossbows and uses a lot of random magical gear.

hisnamehere
2011-03-29, 10:22 PM
2. First off, this is a fantastic concept. Really playing to the opposite of character development with the symbiosis. Love it. Might steal it. :smallwink: Also, if there is an obvious leader-follower relationship b/w the two PCs, make the clones the opposite.

3. I'll second the "AoO prevention" theme here. Actually, that would make an 'opposite' and you mentioned 'clones', so maybe that should be scraped.

Hm. Clone...same-but-different...hrm...

Large seems like a must. Since goliath is earth-based, maybe using a water- or air-based race. Equaling the PC using non-maneuver mechanics? or conflicting maneuvers?

You're right; this is hard. The half-giant psywar seems good, extremely pumped with psi feats (to 'clone' the goliath's dependence on maneuvers).

4. Well, githyanki monk is all I'm hearing here. Probably with some shuriken (sp?), unless that's the PC's favored weapon. Again, the ability to catch/deflect the PC's attacks is more the opposite of the character, so that might need to be avoided. Are there mechanics to support attacking a thrown weapon while it's airborne?
Alternately, a githyanki monk-ish warlock using eldritch blasts as the 'clone' of thrown weapons.

Actually, now that I think about it, the encounter may be geared toward forcing the players to come up with the tactics to defeat themselves...which is just an awesome concept. Very self-exploratory.

Good luck with this! Opposites and clones are lots of fun. Check out www.goblinscomic.com, as one of the current dungeons being crawled is FULL of alternate-reality PC clones.