PDA

View Full Version : on powerful build monkey grip

devo
2011-03-29, 06:05 PM
Hello giant world long time luker first time poster, so I'm running a 3.5 game and I have a goliath with the monkey grip feat. The race is a major part of the setting and I don't mind the feat (I recommended it to other characters) it's just that together... crazy 12 foot sword, 5 foot reach. I'm just wondering if this is raw legal and I'm fully aware of rule 0, I just wanted some community feedback before I made a call (though I'm probably going to rule it out or just make the character large).

Keld Denar
2011-03-29, 06:10 PM
WELCOME!!!!

They don't stack. Both include language that basically says "one size larger than YOU". Since it references you, instead of what you can normally wield, they don't stack.

Also, unless you are dramatically stacking size boosts, you are generally better off just having Power Attack (you DO have Power Attack, right?).

Sacrieur
2011-03-29, 06:23 PM
You can all ready wield a Huge fullblade, what more do you need? (That's 4d8 damage).

Flickerdart
2011-03-29, 06:27 PM
Ah, but have no fear! If you take the Barbarian substitution levels, you get Mountain Rage, which makes you for-reals Large when you're raging. This means that Monkey Grip (or Strongarm Bracers, which are better cause they don't waste a feat) kicks in and you can pull out an even bigger sword.

Joshinthemosh
2011-03-29, 07:34 PM
Greetings and salutations good sir. .....or madamn. Or honorific of your choice.

To your question. As multiple posters above me have said no Monkey Grip and Powerful Build do not stack. But have no fear there are other ways around this. You can make it a Heavy Weapon! It's from Magic of Faerun pg. 179. It basically ups your damage die a step. So say that this Goliath character of yours is wielding a Greatsword for arguements sake. Medium size it does 2d6. Large size it does 3d6. Large and heavy it does 4d6. That seems to be what you are looking for.

devo
2011-03-30, 02:24 AM
:smallsmile:Well thank you all very much and thanks for the cheerfull welcome (its sir by the way) I'll be sure to tell my player that they dont stack and nudge him in the direction of those items, I think someone has the item compendium somewere around my group, thanks again!