PDA

View Full Version : Monsters not in the SRD

Talakeal
2011-03-29, 08:50 PM
What monsters are in the 3.5 core books but not reprinted online in the SRD? So far I have found Beholder, Illithid, and Umber Hulk, but I think there are a few more. I would look myself but my books are thousands of miles away and there is no local gaming store in the area. Thanks.

hivedragon
2011-03-29, 09:00 PM
What monsters are in the 3.5 core books but not reprinted online in the SRD? So far I have found Beholder, Illithid, and Umber Hulk, but I think there are a few more. I would look myself but my books are thousands of miles away and there is no local gaming store in the area. Thanks.

githyanki
githzerai
carrion crawler
mummy lord
slaad

Zeofar
2011-03-29, 09:47 PM
Lookie here, friend. (http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm)

Beheld
2011-03-29, 10:47 PM
Note that the Mummy Lord (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mummy.htm#mummyLord) is not on that list.

Talakeal
2011-03-29, 10:48 PM
Thanks. Some of those choices are wierd, I wonder why the Carrion Crawler or the Displacer beast are removed but so many of the other original beasties like Rust Monster, Bullette, or Behir are left in.

Nerocite
2011-03-29, 10:51 PM
Thanks. Some of those choices are wierd, I wonder why the Carrion Crawler or the Displacer beast are removed but so many of the other original beasties like Rust Monster, Bullette, or Behir are left in.

The rest of the stuff in the SRD is Open Game License, while those monsters are not.

sonofzeal
2011-03-29, 11:06 PM
Almost every single SRD monster is directly mythological in some way. Even the distinctive Tarrasque is based off French folklore. So rather than try to copywrite them, they made it open source to avoid the whole fuss.

The closed-source ones are generally the ones with non-mythological names. Gnolls and Unicorns and Vampires are not distinctively D&D, but Mindflayers and Beholders and Githyanki are. Even the "odd" ones, like Carrion Crawler and Slaad, are uniquely D&D even if you wouldn't necessarily have guessed as much.