PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e: Swift concentration

NNescio
2011-03-30, 02:34 AM
For the cost of 2 skill points, a character can maintain concentration as a swift action once per encounter. (or once per minute out of combat)

Per the Rules Compendium, a character cannot cast a spell while concentrating on another one.

So... how is this supposed to be useful for a wizard? Am I missing something?

nyjastul69
2011-03-30, 02:59 AM
It allows the caster to take a standard action while concentrating.

NNescio
2011-03-30, 03:23 AM
It allows the caster to take a standard action while concentrating.

Yes, I see that, but a single standard action per encounter which can't be used for spellcasting doesn't seem that... useful to me.

Or are spell-completion/spell-trigger items exempt from the "cannot cast a spell while concentrating" restriction?

Koury
2011-03-30, 03:27 AM
At the very least, sometimes you need to double move.

NNescio
2011-03-30, 03:30 AM
Can a caster concentrate on a spell and use a supernatural ability without breaking concentration?

nyjastul69
2011-03-30, 03:41 AM
Yes, I see that, but a single standard action per encounter which can't be used for spellcasting doesn't seem that... useful to me.

Or are spell-completion/spell-trigger items exempt from the "cannot cast a spell while concentrating" restriction?

I don't think they are.

I was about to edit my post when the site did its re-up thing.

It seems that this trick is for characters that have options other than 'just casting'. With certain builds it's not so bad. Maintaining certain Illusions, while being able to take a move and standard action is pretty decent.

faceroll
2011-03-30, 04:56 AM
Does activating a magic item count as casting a spell? Does making a full attack?

No.

begooler
2011-03-30, 11:05 AM
It is useful for a wizard because they can concentrate and perform one of the many important actions you have to do in combat that don't involve casting spells.

I think it's more useful for bards. A bard with Melodic Casting can use Swift Concentration to concentrate on bardic music, while casting a spell as a standard action, and if he has Greater Harmonize, also begin another bardic music effect as a move action.

Deca4531
2014-02-01, 03:08 AM
It is useful for a wizard because they can concentrate and perform one of the many important actions you have to do in combat that don't involve casting spells.

I think it's more useful for bards. A bard with Melodic Casting can use Swift Concentration to concentrate on bardic music, while casting a spell as a standard action, and if he has Greater Harmonize, also begin another bardic music effect as a move action.

I know I'm kinda necroing this thread but I have a question concerning the topic, specifically being able to use this skill trick 2 concentrate on bard music. is there any specific citation of this being allowed?

Vaynor
2014-02-01, 05:34 AM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy. Locked.