PDA

View Full Version : Puc's Second Darkness IC

puctheplayfull
2011-03-30, 07:19 AM
Many have come today to this greatly neglected area of Riddleport. Of the vast number of people milling about, there is no doubt that most, if not all, are here for one thing. "Cheat the Devil and Take his Gold," an event held by the Golden Goblin Gambling Hall in a attempt to rekindle a following after several years of closed doors. Even as you approach through the crowds of people, you lay eyes upon the Goblin, the doors closed and barred, until registration for the grand tournament begins. The building looks, like so many others in this district, old and ill used, though much cleaner. Looking out over the crowd from atop the entry stairs, stands a much larger than life golden statue of a goblin smirking in satisfaction. The creature, nearly eight foot in height, stands upon a pile of gold and treasure, its left hand resting on the handle of a dogslicer, tip down in the pile. This glittering statue rests between two double doors, with another set of doors to either side of those. The doors themselves are of a strong dark wood, likely imported from the south. They are decorated with various panels depicting signs of luck known to all... here a four-leaf clover, there a set of crossed fingers, and the like.

When only a couple hours remain till sunset, all four sets of doors open, and a booming voice calls out in deep ringing tones, ENTER IF YOU DARE MORTALS. YOU HAVE COME FOR MY GOLD, BUT I HAVE COME FOR YOUR SOULS! WE SHALL SEE WHO COMES OUT ON TOP! The crowd, after a brief moment of awe, quickly regains its purpose and all begin moving up the great stairs towards the various entrances. As you make your way towards the stairs, there is a buzz of excitement rising from the people at the front, as the general mood around you changes from the quiet impatience and anticipation, to one of rushed eagerness. Moving up the grey stone steps, you still cannot see what all the excitement is up front, but you are getting closer, and can almost feel the energy from the crowd...

OoC: As a first post, I would like each of you to describe yourselves. What I mean is, a bit about your look, what you wear and carry (sleight of hand checks for anything hidden), and your general mood/expression as you move with the crowd. If any of you wish to recognize or bump into each other before entering, by all means do so. For now, when you post, please include your character's name, and if you like race/class at the top of your post for easy recognition. After initial descriptions, and any conversations as you all approach the doors, I will make the first major post of the game, including an initial map of the Golden Goblin, and some information about what you see as you first enter the gambling hall. As this is the start of the adventure, if you have any questions, concerns, comments, last minute changes, ect... I suggest you post them in the OoC thread before making your first post here. I won't post with the map and first peak inside the Goblin until everyone else has posted their initial descriptions. I apologize for the delays guys and gals. Welcome to the adventure.

SanguinePenguin
2011-03-30, 10:47 AM
Castor Dauntora

Castor arrives precisely at the moment the doors open. He doesn't bother to stop walking as he approaches the crowd, for he knows exactly where he is going. Completely instinctively, he lurches dramatically to one side in a bizarre display to avoid an eager patron who nearly bowls him over to get into the crowd. The boy momentarily pulls at his black hair, but he stops the act before removing anything. He focuses his bright blue eyes, finally exiting his thousand-yard-stare and surveying the surroundings. Finding them to be as expected, he resumes his motion to the front of the crowd.

Whether through vicarious claustrophobia or excitement for what is to come, the voice in Castor's head begins to panic. In the language older than the gods, Castor mutters silent calming words in hopes of assuaging Thok'dri's fears. Perhaps it was for this reason that the creature implored him to bring a weapon - a morningstar resting in two loops of leather at his right side. Paying little heed to the ancient one, the gaunt halfling shifts into the crowd and moves through it with some navigational talent which bears an uncanny resemblance to the stagger of a drunkard. In the dense crowd twice his height, he goes nearly unnoticed, a combination of his stature, nondescript, drab clothing, and the fact that even in this crowd he is miraculously never touched until he is right against the door (there, someone finally grazes his backpack as there is nowhere else to move).

He rushes with the crowd into the room, ignoring the area, he moves directly to where he is supposed to be. There is little choice in his decision, just prescience and reaction. Once standing at a point where he won't be knocked down, Thok'dri finally shuts up. It must have been the claustrophobia, he thinks as a rare moment of peace enters the pale halfling. Savoring the moment of quiet in his head, Castor finally bothers to use his eyes to look around him again.

King Tius
2011-03-30, 01:02 PM
Aurelius Stormscale

Standing out amid the various people dressed in dirty small clothes or hiding under hooded cloaks is a young man wearing well-polished splint mail. Against his better judgment, he allows the holy symbol of Abadar, a gilded key, to dangle openly around his neck. The hilt of a greatsword pokes out from beneath his blue cloak, a well crafted and finely trimmed piece of clothing emblazoned with the crossed lightning bolt and swordfish crest of his family house.

The young paladin surveys the scene before him with a furrowed brow. Those nearby see a bead of sweat clinging to his brow as he clenches and unclenches his gauntleted hands. Turning to the young woman next to him, he leans in close to her as his eyes continue to warily scan the crowd.

"WHAT are we doing here, Atty? Are you trying to get us killed?"

Chained Birds
2011-03-30, 01:31 PM
Galgehide (rogue)

A small, heavily clothed individual displays twin scarfs as he approaches from the side. A small sack is flung over his right shoulder, held in place by a belt-like sash stretching across his chest. Grazing through the crowd, the nimble character seems to know the best way to enter the building without disturbing too many people. While his long, pointy, and angled downwards ears are noticeable, his face is guarded by a creative black and white mask.

Galgehide has visited this place several times, but his reasons for visiting have always been outside the norm. As a goblin who believes that misfortune is even more predominate when he is present, he searches for luck to counterbalance his poor luck. He is hoping today to witness various displays of great luck, and also to apprehend and punish those who steal luck away from others through the most horrendous act of lawlessness (at least to Galgehide), cheating.
Thinking to himself:
That voice, I think I've heard that voice somewhere before...
Sleight of hand: Hiding the following items
- 4 daggers = [roll0],[roll1],[roll2],[roll3]
- 1 short sword = [roll4]
- 1 sap = [roll5]
- 1 short bow = [roll6]
- 1 quiver (10 arrows) = [roll7]

Zealumieo
2011-03-30, 02:23 PM
Attica Stormscale

"Killed? No!" Attica's deep blue eyes twinkle at her brother before she dashed off... circling the the absurd statue a few times- leaving the question unanswered fully. "Hahah, this statue doesn't look like Galge at all. Speaking of which..." The well dressed sister tapped her chin with a delicate finger, "Didn't he mention that he visits this place from time to time? Would be nice to see him here." The tone of her trailing voice seemed to imply that what she was saying was part of Aurelius' answer. If he wasn't her brother, an outsider would've assumed Attica was playing coy.

Like Aurelius, Attica stood out in the grungy crowd for a different reason. Her clothing was, by appearance alone- high quality... Stylish, rich, but not gaudy. Generally it seemed odd to see a woman in such cloth without accompanying jewelry and makeup but the navy blue robe was freeflowing; its most attractive aspect was how comfortable it appeared. On one finger she wore a signet ring with her family's crest, and on another a simple well-worn band. Slightly obscured by her tied, charcoal hair are a Crossbow and bolt quiver sharing space with a very empty backpack.

Upon noticing her brother was beginning to baulk, the young woman ran behind him, "Aurey! It'll just be for a few hours. Relax, enjoy yourself- it won't be horrible." Despite the difficulty of wrapping her arms around her brother's armor, Attica had still managed to hug him from behind, "Pleease... I'll even stay in eyesight if you're worried. And cross my heart- I'm watching my belongings. Absolutely no trouble." As her face pressed against the cold layer of mail Attica meant it, she generally stuck to her promises when it came to her brother.

Oh yes, Riddleport was infamous for its thieves and cutthroats... but the sorceress was admittedly not green per se in this place. Not that she'd wanted her brother to know- even paying off Smeed to not speak a word of it.

((OOC: AUGH I WILL STAB YOU TIUS))

King Tius
2011-03-30, 02:35 PM
Aurelius sighs as he tousles Attica's hair. "Alright, alright, let's go." The faintest of smiles creeps onto his face as he begins heading for the door, following his sister's lead.

"If only dad could see us know, right?"

Aurelius tries to find an out of the way place to stand and watch what goes on, preferably slightly up a flight of stairs or somewhere else that lets him keep an eye on his sister. Having very little money and no penchant for gambling, he will refrain from throwing away the last of his gold and will instead watch intently, reminding himself not to be overly critical of others.

OOC: Navel blue robe? lolz

Chained Birds
2011-03-30, 08:28 PM
Galgehide

Thinking to himself:
...I recognize those voices and that banter anywhere. I should have known those two might show up to this event with all the leaky* merchants running about. But I guess it wasn't supposed to be a secret.
A strange mixture of happiness and uncertainty fills Galgehide's head. He may be happy to learn that his old friends are within arm's reach again; but at the same time, he wonders how they will fare within a den of gamblers, thieves and cheats.
So, instead of greeting them, he decides to remain inconspicuous so as not to disturb them with his misfortune; but will keep also a special eye out for them, just in case.
He figures they would also not recognize him seeing as he currently wears a mask he purchased but a few days ago.

infoweasel
2011-03-31, 10:51 AM
Quentin

Waiting until the majority of the crowd has near-trampled each other in their haste to enter the Golden Goblin, a slightly pudgy middle-aged man in merchant's garb makes his way into the tournament with a cautious air. Though there are a few mildly respectable types in the crowd - such as the oddly out of place paladin in his gleaming armor among a few other curious travelers and the like - the furtive glances the man casts about would indicate that he is all too aware of the type of folk who would frequent this inn.

In simple but respectable hose, doublet and cloak, the man constantly fingers first his coin purse and then the well-worn looking rapier at his side, the mere feel of jangling coins and leather. In simple but respectable hose, doublet and cloak, the man constantly fingers first his coin purse and then the well-worn looking rapier at his side, the mere feel of jangling coins and leather-wrapped steel seeming to comfort him until some ne'er-do-well or other gives him reason to need to do so again.

Moving past the ridiculous statue, he pauses to give a raised eyebrow to the paladin and his companion at the entrance before moving in, though he gives one last backwards glance at the blot in the sky. Doing his best to avoid the press of the crowd, he passes through the doors. Once inside, he begins making his way towards the gambling tables, curious like all the others to see what this tournament is really all about.

Disguise: [roll0]

Leahn Novash
2011-04-01, 07:26 AM
Leahn Novash, Human Monk

Completely new to the city, but already understanding why his monastery kept itself separated from it, Leahn Novash walks the city with abandon. Everything is new to this bald, and miserably looking monk, wearing little more than his robes, some bands for his hands, and travelling sandals. Anyone that looked at him with a mere glance would easily take him for a beggar, before noticing the strange confident demeanor that he demonstrated to those that bothered to give him a second glance.

He walks around the city unsure of where to go, and decides that the best bet for now is to follow the crowd that seems to be all converging to the same direction. He arrives at the place when the doors are opening, and can't really manage to understand the reasons behind such haste and trampling. He waits patiently until the crowd enters the place, taking his time to observe the statue, thinking to himself that the choice of material was really poor, the color is ugly and marble would have been much prettier.

He sees the little comotion between the man with the glistering armor and the rich looking lady, and decides that they are good choices to approach to start his investigations about the blot in the sky.