PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Splashing Cleric with Warlock?

Titanium Fox
2011-03-30, 08:32 AM
Hey all! This is the same Cleric I was asking about a few weeks ago. She's 2nd level and LE, and she's going to be hitting third next level. So I've been putting some thought into where I want to take her. One of my thoughts was to mix into Warlock for some long range blasting ability, with cleric spells to supplement, but my DM brought up a good point. By splashing like this, I'm essentially going to be a partial effectiveness in each class, which will leave me underpowered by probably level five or six.

SO. Does anyone have any ideas on how to mix the two for maximum effectiveness? Or if that mix is underpowered, does anyone have any different ideas on how to make this Cleric effective in some way? The more and more I look at divine classes, the more and more that I notice that they tend to lack the oomph that the Arcane and Melee classes do, at least from what I can see.

EDIT: Character sheet is in my signature if that helps.

Eldan
2011-03-30, 08:36 AM
It will be a bit underpowered for a few levels, yeah. Especially since you can't wear heavier armour and still use warlock powers.

Have a look at Complete Mage,t hough. It has a dual progression class for exactly this.

If you are just looking for Oomph, pure cleric is probably your best bet. They are considered one of the strongest classes in the game, if done right. Just look up "Cleric Handbook" online, you should find something on wizards or brilliant gameologists.

TroubleBrewing
2011-03-30, 08:50 AM
Just look up "Cleric Handbook" online, you should find something on wizards or brilliant gameologists.

Here, I'll save you the trouble. I usually stick to these two handbooks.

The Cleric Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866830/The_Cleric_Handbook)

The Cleric Handbook 2.0 (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0)

And I'd recommend looking this over, if you haven't already:

A Players Guide to Healing (And Why You Will Be Just Fine Without a Healbot Cleric) (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871786/A_Players_Guide_to_Healing_%28And,_why_you_will_be _Just_Fine_without_a_Cleric_to_heal%29)

Scarlet-Devil
2011-03-30, 12:27 PM
Well, one thing you should keep in mind is that your character has a Dex score of 10, so as a cleric 2/warlock 1 your attack bonus with an eldritch blast is only +1; could be a little hard to hit things. That might sort itself out fairly quickly with rising attack bonus, but if you go that route I wouldn't rely too much on EB at first.

A single level of warlock could give you something wonderful, and potentially very annoying for your DM, like 24 hour 'see invisibility' or Shatter at will. Two levels would give you Detect Magic at will too.

As Eldan mentioned though, if you want to do this, you definitely want to look into the Eldritch Disciple class in Complete Mage; it's made specifically for combining warlock and cleric.

Fouredged Sword
2011-03-30, 12:35 PM
What do you mean the party face just got +6 to bluff and diplomacy?

Great in some places bad in others. You should think carefuly about why you want to dip warlock. If you just want an invocation the it depends on the invocation. If you want all day damage abilities I would suggest a reserve feat instead. If you want both, I would suggest dragonfire adept, as then your low attack modifier doesn't matter.